• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

Amir0x

Banned
PS4 was starting to get pretty easy to order in March from my observations. Obviously that's not scientific, but the fact it was in amazon.com almost every day says things are finally coming around on that front.

TS-08

I don't see how there could be a meltdown even if they sold 500,000 units. You could get the Xbox One for around 400-450 plus a game. We all knew the stealth price drop would have a one month effect. How can you have a meltdown about something we all predicted would happen? The real meltdown would only occur if the pricedrop coincided with a salesdrop. I think we have over analyzed this to the point of boredom. Almost nothing could surprise us now.

Whose predicting the XB1 to outsell the PS4 by 200k or more?

A_Gorilla

Banned
B5N6mwM.gif

If this means what I think it means, its time to get out the chalkboard and cross Titanfall off.

Tomorrow can not come soon enough...

Dynedom

The bunker is because XBO tripled PS4's sales. You heard it here first. That and/or Infamous didn't chart.

There can't be anything else surely....oh wait. Dark Souls 2 doesn't chart! GAF implosion imminent

Whose predicting the XB1 to outsell the PS4 by 200k or more?

I'm just making a point that even a ridiculous amount couldn't cause a meltdown because we expected it to outsell the PS4 by a good bit this month. I think the only way to get a true rise out of NEOGAF is for it to not improve at all.

shamanick

The bunker is because XBO tripled PS4's sales. You heard it here first. That and/or Infamous didn't chart.

There can't be anything else surely....oh wait. Dark Souls 2 doesn't chart! GAF implosion imminent

Sony already announced Infamous sold a million, if it didn't chart it would have to be a pretty good month

I remain fairly certain that XB1 outsold PS4 in March, as well.

MS is CLEARLY prioritizing the NA market over the rest of the world and I am sure with all that stock and all those bundles they sold VERY well.

Sony on the other hand is limited by supply constraints, since they have been forced to spread their supply worldwide, I mean, they only sold like what? Under 300K last month, if I recall.

Now, I am sure the PS4 supply was also hampered by the Japanese launch and it seems they got more supply available for the month of March. So PS4 probably sold a substantial amount more in March. However, the question is how much more was there to sell. I would say maybe up to 400K, but no more than that. If they sold 1 million in March as the numbers seem to show, then I've gotta believe around 2/3 of that was overseas and not in NA.,

So I'd say 400K or less. I believe MS could definitely surpass that number with the massive push they gave Xb1 in March. The problem is, I don't think they can maintain that momentum in the months to come.

David___

Banned
People are seriously thinking that PS4 outsold Xbone? Bish is obviously getting in the bunker to avoid the shitstorm that will occur when its announced that the Vita actually charted.

:(

TS-08

I'm just making a point that even a ridiculous amount couldn't cause a meltdown because we expected it to outsell the PS4 by a good bit this month.

I'm pretty sure there is an amount the XB1 could outsell the PS4 by that would cause a meltdown, your opinion notwithstanding. I still think the more likely meltdown scenario is XB1 not outselling the PS4.

the silence from ms regarding titanfall sales is telling.

I kinda agree with you. Rationally I know Titanfall has sold over a million copies, but the silence is very strange. Why the hell would EA or MS wait for the NPD to announce anything like this, it's not a fucking state secret.

Mory Dunz

328.gif

Bunker worthy news has to be XB1>>>PS4. XB1 outselling PS4 is expected, and PS4 outselling XB1 doesn't break pattern. Outside chances: PS4 outselling XB1 by 100k+, Wii U outselling either (lol)

This.
One or the other selling more isn't enough.

One of them has to beat the other by a large margin for it to be newsworthy.
Or something else unorthodox like Wii U selling (for whatever reason) or 3DS getting....a boost or something. Or Vita. Or Wii. Or DS.

Or Dreamcast.

quetz67

Banned
I am a little disappointed it took them so long. But it is hard without Japan.

But it sure bodes well for some nice March numbers in NA.

The PS2 generation is arguably one of the greatest console generations ever, and that is a gen that saw one console absolutely destroy the competition. Parity in a market society is nuts. This isn't grade school where everyone gets a participation medal. If the market feels that one company is doing a better job in giving them what they want, it should stand to reason that as a reward sales for said company would be higher than others.

You have a point there despite the condescending tone of the rest of your post. I would however remind you that this current generation is much different than the PS2 gen for a myriad of reasons, but I'll keep it simple with one. For both Sony & Microsoft selling their services (PSN & XBL) is just as important as selling the hardware & games themselves. This creates an ecosystem where healthy competition helps facilitate innovation across the board. Stuff like Video Sharing, Playroom, Remote Play were created as features to 'one up' the next guy. Competition in the market is a good thing for all of us bro.

ahuffman

Banned
I'm pretty sure there is an amount the XB1 could outsell the PS4 by that would cause a meltdown, your opinion notwithstanding. I still think the more likely meltdown scenario is XB1 not outselling the PS4.

It would have to be over 300k before I could see a mega meltdown. It is very unlikely, but I guess it could happen

PS4 was starting to get pretty easy to order in March from my observations. Obviously that's not scientific, but the fact it was in amazon.com almost every day says things are finally coming around on that front.
In the US yeah, but what's the supply situation in Europe like?

Dynedom

If we're assuming the bunker means "less than desirable" news for Microsoft/XBO, then I can only see it being that XBO > PS4 but InFamous > Titanfall XBO.

Keep your eyes peeled for whether they actually mention Titanfall collectively or make mention of the XBO sales specifically.

Oh no, I totally agree. I meant more for the possibility of SS > Titanfall (Xone version).

Yup. This is what I see possibly happening.

Stay smart tomorrow you guys. Don't get yourself banned over dumb shit, no matter what happens.

Yea, you don't want to say something dumb in a highly sensitive thread.

Don't do that.

Seriously.

Don't.

This is how I felt in that Marty thread when I did something stupid.

i-am-legend-2.jpg

I was spared by the mercy of god.

Congrats Sony. Love this console after being all about MS for 10 years. Didn't make the move because of any DRM shit. It's just a more powerful system and the graphics whore in me needed it.
Love spending time in Playroom watching people make fools of themselves or watch a litter of puppies for hours then a couple of button presses later and I'm in any game in my library.

On Demand

Banned
Then again we can also gather the reason Sony announced the 7 million PS4's sold today is to counter them losing March NPD.

Or.....they wanted to get it out the way for their PR tomorrow. Double success.

Question for all. Doesn't NPD ignore the Titanfall bundle for software sales? Thus Titanfall should expect a higher software figure than shown on NPD.

I would look for MS or EA to give the official Titanfall figures which is what Sony did with Infamous. World is moving digital

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
X1 outselling Ps4 wouldn't require a bunker, neither would Ps4 outselling X1imo. This can only mean wii u outsold them both :eek:

I don't think so. Microsoft pretty much launched every missile they had into last month's console race. Titanfall, Titanfall bundle which gives you the game for free, Titanfall bundle price cut, etc. If at the end of all that, the PS4 still manages to outsell it? Yeah, that's going to cause some shock waves.

TS-08

Question for all. Doesn't NPD ignore the Titanfall bundle for software sales? Thus Titanfall should expect a higher software figure than shown on NPD.

I would look for MS or EA to give the official Titanfall figures which is what Sony did with Infamous. World is moving digital

I thought bundles were included.

RedAssedApe

Banned
From what I've seen the vast majority that get banned are Juniors that make accounts just to post in NPD threads...

so they wait months to get an account for the sole purpose of committing account suicide on npd day. that is true dedication...that article about being a fanboy being like being in love was spot on

Then again we can also gather the reason Sony announced the 7 million PS4's sold today is to counter them losing March NPD.

Or.....they wanted to get it out the way for their PR tomorrow. Double success.

I think they wanted to get ahead of Microsoft winning the news cycle this week with a March victory of sorts. It is going to be a pretty hollow victory though. I am still shocked there was not much of a negative backlash for a stealth price drop though.

As for XB1 sales.

I don't see the sales being SO much better than PS4.

If PS4 had extra stock this month (which seems to be the case, but I could be wrong) then XB1 would have to have sold like MEGA to beat it by a huge margin.

Lets say the PS4 sold 350-400K like I claimed in my last post. The XB1 would theoretically have to sell like what? 550-600K to really make a big deal? Its possible, but I don't see it personally. Maybe, 500K or so.

However, even if XB1 did hit those numbers, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. IT probably would be on this board though. At least, for a few days.

As for XB1 numbers beyond that? Seems unlikely, but I guess not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Top Bottom