• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

B5N6mwM.gif

Uh-oh. RIP GAF

Not as mind blowing from last month as some might gather,

It was over 6 million then, so its basically 1 million in a month worldwide.

Damn impressive, but not astounding. Supply constraints are clearly still holding them back a good deal.

The real question is, if PS4 was at over 7 million at the start of this month, then where the hell is XB1 right now?

Why has MS been so reticent on sales numbers?

Amir0x

Banned
uh oh, maybe PS4 DID outsell XBO last month. bish is entering his bunker after all

that would make for a delightful thread tomorrow. just delightful.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
uh oh, maybe PS4 DID outsell XBO last month. bish is entering his bunker after all

I think you could require a bunker no matter who won.

iceatcs

If that's true, would you think bish need a stronger bunker.

Something like that.
cheyenne-mountain-operations-center.jpg

TS-08

I don't think there would be much of a "meltdown" for the One selling more unless it did by a massive margin. Like, 200k or more. Most people seem to be assuming the XB1 sold more for March.

FTF

Oh man, if Sony released this news the day before NPD #s, to make it look like maybe they're getting ahead of PS4 losing to Xone, but in fact they're just giving a one-two punch and PS4 wins March...that would be delightfully delicious indeed.

shink

Don't you get the NPD ? (well on time, before the thread is made)

Nobody would be surprised at March being won by the Xbox one or Titanfall coming first so this suggests either 2 things

1) Microsoft did win but by an amazing amount
2) Microsoft didnt win

Oh boy.
I think it's an indication of the rise of the Wii U.

Pachinko

I'm happy for the continued success of console gaming. I really do prefer to play most games on my home theater without lugging my PC around constantly for better graphics.

That said, it does surprise me just how successful sony has managed to become with this platform. It's not as though the naysayers are without merit here- we had 3 platforms in a row launch poorly and proceed to sell poorly for months. The 3DS in 2011 didn't really take off until nintendo slashed it's price down to a temporarily unprofitable amount and even then, on a worldwide level it doesn't seem to be doing numbers of the DS lite nor selling quite as well as Nintendo expected. Sony launched the Vita about a year after that in 2012 and it's just been kind of stillborn , it's possibly the best gaming handheld out in history but the market no longer cares about gaming portables when they can have an iphone or ipad.

Finally, you come to the launch of the wii U, this thing was supposed to pull nintendo into the stratosphere (somehow) and end the years of 3rd party abandonment , etc etc. No one bought the thing, even nintendo fans largely turned their noses up for almost 12 months before they finally started buying them.

By personal best case scenario here is that the xbox one and PS4 would end up shipping 5-6 million units by the end of march, each. They would sell 3-4 million of them and then sales would drop off quite a bit until september.

I'm happy to see that a great marketing campaign and positive word of mouth has apparently lead to many millions around the world deciding to hop into the next generation of gaming but I still worry it's not going to last... it's selling well in most places but notably- the land that gaming forgot- Japan, it's still pretty much just taking space up at retail.

I'd love it if my worries about this industry were unfounded but there is actually a small bit of problematic evidence there- 20.5 million software sales. That sounds like a good number but if it's for 7 million systems that's a tie ratio of barely 3 games per system owner. That needs to start going up and fast in order to convince me this industry is still truly healthy.

kadotsu

Banned

My guess is that Thief might have outsold Titanfall. The game was more multiplat had more time on the market and is a established IP and was discounted at many retailers. (It would still be crazy and I think its unlikely)

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I want as much sales parity between the Xbox One & PS4 as possible. The closer the two are in sales the more the companies will do to try to impress us. 7 Million is an awesome number for Sony, but I do hope that Microsoft will close the sales gap soon. It's a very interesting thing to watch indeed.

The PS2 generation is arguably one of the greatest console generations ever, and that is a gen that saw one console absolutely destroy the competition. Parity in a market society is nuts. This isn't grade school where everyone gets a participation medal. If the market feels that one company is doing a better job in giving them what they want, it should stand to reason that as a reward sales for said company would be higher than others.

What does this mean? lol Are you expecting some sort of fallout?

Amir0x

Banned

I certainly expect Microsoft to win in March; if Titanfall and all those bundle deals didn't do it, nothing could. I think that's probably the average consensus. Don't think there'd be many bunker requirements in that sort of topic, because it's not like PS4 is going to put down comparatively bad numbers. This thread says they hit 7 million units, after all.

or maybe the xbox surpassed ps4 ltd last month and all shit is about to explode tomorrow.

As I said if that happened, mass meltdown. bish would not need a bunker but a spaceship to leave the damned planet.

TS-08

Oh man, if Sony released this news the day before NPD #s, to make it look like maybe they're getting ahead of PS4 losing to Xone, but in fact they're just giving a one-two punch and PS4 wins March...that would be delightfully delicious indeed.

Possibly. Could be they don't want either PR victory to be overshadowed.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Bish opened the bunker door already? Well damn lol.
Looking forward to the madness tomorrow. There will be blood.

Great sale numbers btw, keep selling you son of ze beech.

That would be embarrassing for MS for sure especially since they were giving the must have game of last E3 away with it, that they payed to have exclusive, delayed the 360 version, and there were a lot of $50 discounts on top of that... with that being said I've sure seen a bunch of those titan fall console packages sitting around in stores.

On Demand

Banned
Everybody expects XB1 to outsell PS4 because of Titanfall and the $50 off deals. So that wouldn't really be surprising. It would be surprising if it didn't.

ahuffman

Banned
Only other thing I could think of is if Infamous on PS4 outsold Titanfall on XB1, that would be an even bigger megaton. Won't happen, but it would be hilarious.

The PS2 generation is arguably one of the greatest console generations ever, and that is a gen that saw one console absolutely destroy the competition. Parity in a market society is nuts. This isn't grade school where everyone gets a participation medal. If the market feels that one company is doing a better job in giving them what they want, it should stand to reason that as a reward sales for said company would be higher than others.

Totally agree. People need to stop acting like parity is always best for the consumer. It's not. Companies are not all equal, and the company with the better product should do better in the marketplace. As someone who feels the PS4 is the better console, I think that the best thing for consumers is for the PS4 to significantly outperform the One.

N.Domixis

Banned
I certainly expect Microsoft to win in March; if Titanfall and all those bundle deals didn't do it, nothing could. I think that's probably the average consensus. Don't think there'd be many bunker requirements in that sort of topic, because it's not like PS4 is going to put down comparatively bad numbers. This thread says they hit 7 million units, after all.

As I said if that happened, mass meltdown. bish would not need a bunker but a spaceship to leave the damned planet.

I mean the north american LTD. Worldwide is impossible within one month.

We have two likely outcomes
Ps4 outsold Xbox
Xbox Outslod ps4 by a landslide
Wii U was ahead of both combined

Really the only things that could be that bunker worthy is the PS4 beating the Xone in sales or the Xone beating the PS4 in American lifetime sales.

Amir0x

Banned
I mean the north american LTD. Worldwide is impossible within one month.

We have two likely outcomes
Ps4 outsold Xbox
Xbox Outslod ps4 by a landslide
Wii U was ahead of both combined

That would still be a pretty massive number Microsoft would be required to put up for a March month. I mean it's MORE probable than surpassing PS4's worldwide LTD, but man... bish would require a spaceship, but maybe a Soviet one.*

lol because america has no shuttles right now!

shamanick

My guess is that Thief might have outsold Titanfall. The game was more multiplat had more time on the market and is a established IP and was discounted at many retailers. (It would still be crazy and I think its unlikely)

328.gif

Bunker worthy news has to be XB1>>>PS4. XB1 outselling PS4 is expected, and PS4 outselling XB1 doesn't break pattern. Outside chances: PS4 outselling XB1 by 100k+, Wii U outselling either (lol)

I will join soon enough. But what games are exactly moving this system? That's the most impressive thing to me, the library looks (understandably) empty from my perspective.

From your perspective. A lot of people don't have a gaming PC...so, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty, Infamous, Killzone, Madden, NBA 2k...plenty of games to enjoy on the console.

I don't think there would be much of a "meltdown" for the One selling more unless it did by a massive margin. Like, 200k or more. Most people seem to be assuming the XB1 sold more for March.

I don't see how there could be a meltdown even if they sold 500,000 units. You could get the Xbox One for around 400-450 plus a game. We all knew the stealth price drop would have a one month effect. How can you have a meltdown about something we all predicted would happen? The real meltdown would only occur if the pricedrop coincided with a salesdrop. I think we have over analyzed this to the point of boredom. Almost nothing could surprise us now.

Top Bottom