• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I think Sony's strategy for March was to combat the release of Titanfall with increased allocations to the US vs. the rest of the world.

Remember that the PS4 had massive shipments to the US based upon Amazon purchases and our Best Buy insider. It also seemed to be in healthy supply, and was only limited at the start of the month.

Meanwhile, Europe is still starved for supply, although the UK started getting better supply at the latter portion of the month, the rest of mainline Europe has not received as many shipments.

This leads me to believe that the US may command > 50% of worldwide supply for the month of March, or roughly 500K, which would be pretty crazy for the month of March. At the bare minimum I expect 400K, but I will not be surprised if the actual number is closer to 500K, if not surpassing it.

Whether or not this is enough to beat Microsoft's Titanfall + price drop + bundling push is anyone's guess. I think the Xbox One will do well given all these promotions, but to see PS4 outsell it wouldn't surprise me.

More importantly though, Sony managed to do these huge numbers quietly with no price drop and no huge marketing campaign. Once the promotions and Titanfall demand tail off in the coming months, the system really is back to where it was before. We'll probably get a permanent price drop at E3, but that only will level the playing field slightly in the grand scheme of things. It will get Microsoft back in the race for US/UK markets, but it doesn't do a whole lot to change their situation globally. Sony will have the preferred console for the slew of multiplats that are targeted for release in the coming months, which is going to be a much bigger deal than Titanfall, IMHO. Destiny will do much larger numbers than Titanfall will and will likely have far more word of mouth factor which will usher in purchases of PS4 as a viral effect.

ethomaz

Banned
wow, so Infamous actually outsold Titanfall on Amazon? Honestly, surprised.
You need to add one copy for each TF bundle that seat at 11st... so the real Titanfall numbers are the combination of TF + TF bundle.

But NPD don't uses the TF bundle on the TOP10 so I believe in this scenario:

TOP10: ISS > TF
Overall: TF > ISS

Did it though? Either they didn't include preorders made outside of March, or Titanfall has beaten Infamous in April.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_cal_mo
This plus you need count the TF bundles in Amazon March too.

FranXico

For those who can't be bothered clicking the link:

ASuetZp.png

I would believe that he somehow saw the MS press release early and it specifically referenced "microsoft platforms" or "xbox family" again as being top selling in march 2014.

Only reason to use Microsoft instead of XB1 in that instance, I think.

Trevelyon

Just give us a hint boss. Are you hiding in the bunker because it's info that goes against the status quo?

Only two bunker scenarios make sense to me a) XBONE blitzes march, closes or possibly exceeds the US LTD gap withe PS4 or b) PS4 wins, marginally or not, over the Titanfall hype machine and all the flash retailer discounts.

On Demand

Banned
LTD as of November 2013:

1) Wii U - 1.62 million (+0.48 million from PS4, +0.71 million from XBO)
2) PS4 - 1.14 million (+0.23 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 0.91 million

LTD as of December 2013:

1) Wii U - 2.10 million (+0.10 million from PS4, +0.28 million from XBO)
2) PS4 - 2.00 million (+0.18 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 1.82 million

LTD as of January 2014:

1) PS4 - 2.27 million (+0.12 million from Wii U, +0.31 million from XBO)
2) Wii U - 2.15 million (+0.19 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 1.96 million

LTD as of February 2014:

1) PS4 - 2.54 million (+0.31 million from Wii U, +0.32 million from XBO)
2) Wii U - 2.23 million (+0.01 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 2.22 million

There's no way XB1 is taking over PS4's LTD. Unless the PS4 sold 0 consoles and the XB1 sold 700K.

my prediction is "xbox family" pr and sony doesn't share their March Numbers like they have been doing the last few months.

We'll wait for hours for the leak to come through and sony will edge them out slightly.

It's a bit more complicated because preorders are accounted for the time they were placed instead of the time they were released. One could argue the bundle could have been preordered a lot.

Wouldn't the sale go through when money is charged, though?

That is pretty wild. I had no idea so many folks were getting FFXHD.

I had it pre-ordered since December, I still haven't opened it lol

There's no way XB1 is taking over PS4's LTD. Unless the PS4 sold 0 consoles and the XB1 sold 700K.

Not likely. My reasoning here:

The only possible way Xbox One would hit 800K this month would be if retailer demand matched launch.

Xbox One sold 909,134 units in November / around that in December 2013, consoles were flying off the shelf, and the whole retail environment was abuzz with activity.

Now? We're not seeing that kind of situation. I expect AT THE HIGHEST CONCEIVABLE THRESHOLD we'll see a 2x increase (268,662 PS4 -> 537,324 PS4) (258K XBO -> 516K XBO) but to go any higher than that is ludicrous.

Historical Precedent:

360:

March 2006: 192K
March 2007: 199K
March 2008: 262K
March 2009: 330K
March 2010: 338K
March 2011: 433K
March 2012: 371K
March 2013: 302K

PS3:

March 2007: 130K
March 2008: 257K
March 2009: 218K
March 2010: 314K
March 2011: 365K
March 2012: 337K
March 2013: 211K

PS2:

March 2001: 547K
March 2002: 359K
March 2003: 399K
March 2004: 294K
March 2005: 495K
March 2006: 273K
March 2007: 280K
March 2008: 216K
March 2009: 112K
March 2010: 118K

Not ONCE did the 360 ever surpass 450K in March, so to expect significantly higher results from Xbox One just doesn't reflect the current situation.

The PS2---the most successful console in the world---only hit 500K twice in March throughout its entire lifespan. The Wii fared a little better during its peak years (it hit 500K three times).

But still...to hit such high numbers in March is rare.

In fact, the absolute all-time record for ANY home console sale in the 21st century in March is Wii's 721K March 2008. How on earth could Xbox One sell 800K in March if the ABSOLUTE ALL-TIME HIGHEST RECORD is 80K below it?

B.O.O.M

I would believe that he somehow saw the MS press release early and it specifically referenced "microsoft platforms" or "xbox family" again as being top selling in march 2014.

Only reason to use Microsoft instead of XB1 in that instance, I think.

ooh good point. That would be some clever trolling on his part

I'm sure he knows that. He's just showing who's boss. :D

This is the second time this week Bish has responded to one of my posts.

I'm on like high alert right now man, you don't know what it's like.

I feel like any second now this is going to happen to me.

whacked.gif

EVERYONE IS GANGING UP ON ME MAN.

I doubt that PS4 demand collapsed in the month of Infamous:SS's release, but maybe the PS4 could plateau at ~250k and the XB1 could sell >570k to even it out? It's hard to say. That'd be a positively fucking absurd sales figure for the XB1.

coldfoot

Banned
I've already prepared my statement just in case Sony comes ahead on NPD, might as well post it, since that's pretty unlikely given the general sentiment.

It's over, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of their Xbox One hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Xbox One. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a Xbox One. Except if they want to play Titanfall. Which will also come to PS4 at some point.

Sony took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a Xbox One over a PS4 (except TV SPORTS KINECT LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the bloated, overdesigned behemoth that was Xbox One.

There may be some hardcore gamer's that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Microsoft is done.

Top Bottom