• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

Ape

Banned
So, Sony did the whole Playstation Family thing a while back when things looked absolutely terrible for them and Xbox* is what Microsoft is doing because Sony is killing it right now. Has Nintendo ever used a catch all for their brand sales?

Congrats to Sony. Well-deserved. They've said - and ultimately done the right things, playing a key role in PlayStation 4's success. Not only have they offset Xbox One's success, but they've overshadowed it. Really impressive. Glad to see them off to such a great start!

Xbox winning March isn't what I'd consider bunker worthy. With all the hype and promotion for that Respawn game and/or all the "retailer discounts" the console received, it should win March.

If the opposite happened and they couldn't buck the trend in the US, you better believe Bish would have his hard hat ready for a stay in the bunker. I just want to know if it has a Stargate too...

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
MS won December NPD. Them winning March with Titanfall and price drops would be nothing to go crazy over. Unless it was by 200K. Don't think that's happening. PS4 winning despite all that would cause a mass hysteria.

So......

Exactly. I've been predicting the X1 will win March but I'm not so sure now.

I mean at this point, I'll eat a buffet of crow if PS4 wins March, but it really looks like MS won March and many people accept it at this point.

I don't think they won.. The people who play Titanfall are the same crowd who play BF4 and COD. Those folks already got their consoles early . I honestly don't see the Titanfall release being a factor in march .

But didnt everyone envision a victory for X1 in march due to the " all conquering " TF?

It's the multi-plats working in PS4's favor and can see that gap widening when Watch Dogs arrives.

NPD is america so not really sure why it's such a big deal when it's WW sales that really matter.

On Demand

Banned
Who is the guy from twitter BTW?

Interesting use of "Microsoft" instead of "Xbox One", as well as the use of the "...."

Xbox 360 sales could be quite good in the buildup for Titanfall on 360 as well, while PS3 sales could collapse due to quicker adoption of PS4.

So the Microsoft family > PS family would not surprise me.

But PS4 > XBO would be a big blow to MS's ego.

http://www.stfuandplay.com/

I agree. He could of just said XB1.

But didnt everyone envision a victory for X1 in march due to the " all conquering " TF?

It's the multi-plats working in PS4's favor and can see that gap widening when Watch Dogs arrives.

NPD is america so not really sure why it's such a big deal when it's WW sales that really matter.

North America is Microsoft's principal market for the Xbox One. They care more about what happens in the USA than any other territory.

Lemondish

People are working themselves out.

Price cuts, free game bundle , biggest next gen launch.

How can it be anything but #1 for XB1 and TF.

Pretty sure this is also only digital. That doesn't really change expectations for first place, but it certainly explains the second place title.

I wouldn't say that. The fun has just begun.

We have Watch Dogs & MLB: The Show in May, followed by The Last of Us Remastered in June.

I will grant MLB: The Show as a quality game (though will also be on the PS3), one that probably doesn't move all that many units, but Last of Us is again a game PS3 gamers already have and Watch Dogs will be on the Wii U.

There is a derth of honest to goodness exclusive PS4 content.

I think the most common expectation is that, with Titanfall, the XB1 would outsell the PS4 for the month of March.

But, even without the bunker pic comment early this morning, I just don't see it making sense due to the way MS handled sale prices of the console. The Titanfall bundle coming out for the same price as the stock SKU was obviously meant to drum up sales for the month and push the console. It was either a week or two later when that bundle was discounted to $449 at some retail locations, and at least in the UK, fell even further, so that you could get the Titanfall bundle for the same price as the PS4 (not sure if any retailers in the US did the same).

Realistically, if the bundle was selling so well, there would be no need to discount it that extra $50, no?. If something is a hot seller, you wouldn't do that. It reeks of desperation and bundles not moving. The only question is, did that extra $50 price cut cause people to go into mass hysteria and clean out XB1 inventory?

I will grant MLB: The Show as a quality game (though will also be on the PS3), one that probably doesn't move all that many units, but Last of Us is again a game PS3 gamers already have and Watch Dogs is on the Wii U.

If the software is primarily marketed as PS4 content then it doesn't mater if it's exclusive or not - it's all about how it's exposed to the public.
Just because Watch Dogs is also for the Wii U, for example, doesn't mean the PS4 is going to lose any sales there.

TheOddOne

Even more info.

Core gamers are once again becoming the industry focus

Data.jpg

Lemondish

I will grant MLB: The Show as a quality game (though will also be on the PS3), one that probably doesn't move all that many units, but Last of Us is again a game PS3 gamers already have and Watch Dogs is on the Wii U.

To you, maybe. Not to 7 million other people, though.

Are we sure the digital download stuff isn't compiling the PC downloads? Why would Sony release numbers from PSN to a third party aggregator?

[Nevermind. Saw the chart just above.]

To you, maybe. Not to 7 million other people, though.

I own a PS4. I am playing absolutely nothing on it. The Wii U on the other hand is getting play because it has a lot more exclusive content. My PS3 even gets a lot more play. PS4 is just in a very awkward stage at the moment.

Salex_

I will grant MLB: The Show as a quality game (though will also be on the PS3), one that probably doesn't move all that many units, but Last of Us is again a game PS3 gamers already have and Watch Dogs will be on the Wii U.

Seems like people really think exclusives are the the driving force behind console sales. If that were true, the PS3 would have outsold the 360 in the US/UK. We know that didn't happen.

So this is what we have come to in our NPD thirst? Posting twitter grabs of Tor Davis eh? For shame people, for shame!

Not saying he is correct in this instance but Tor Davis is a decent guy imo. Last year his site had the scoop on a PS4 exclusive driving game I.e Drive Club. He used to run a website called the BitBag and at times, seemed to be the only one with any common sense.

Roshin

I agree with the others in that this is preemptive spin on what will probably be some impressive numbers from MS.[/I]

Entirely possible, of course, and even likely. Still, MS has been remarkably quiet lately. I guess we'll see soon enough...

Top Bottom