• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

Even more info.

Core gamers are once again becoming the industry focus

Data.jpg

Sigh, why oh why are Team Fortress and League of Legends listed as MMO?! Seriously, has the term become that deluded that a 5 on 5 game qualifies?!

Seems like people really think exclusives are the the driving force behind console sales. If that were true, the PS3 would have outsold the 360 in the US/UK. We know that didn't happen.

I think it is a combination of exclusives and perceived "leading platform" for multiplat games. For example the biggest series of the era was Call of Duty and the perception was that 360 was the leading platform for that particular game even if it was on multiple consoles.

vcc

I own a PS4. I am playing absolutely nothing on it. The Wii U on the other hand is getting play because it has a lot more exclusive content. My PS3 even gets a lot more play. PS4 is just in a very awkward stage at the moment.

It's the first year, the PS3 was a lot worse because of how long it took studios to ship games for it. Even the PS2 had a long period of no games. The Xbox 360 thinned out after launch as well. It's not surprising there would be a drought. Bigger games are rushed out for launch, thus will not trickle in after; smaller games start late because manufacturers tend to shut out the little guys.

Comparatively both the XB1 and Ps4 are doing okay for post launch libraries. Sony bet on having indies ease the drought and MS had titanfall.

Lemondish

I own a PS4. I am playing absolutely nothing on it. The Wii U on the other hand is getting play because it has a lot more exclusive content. My PS3 even gets a lot more play. PS4 is just in a very awkward stage at the moment.

That's your experience, and the only thing I can say is to wait a bit longer. Sony has always been about having sunshiny for everyone. Soon, as they say ;)

I play mine every day including exclusives, though. Unlike the Wii-U, however, I also get multiplats.

I think it is a combination of exclusives and perceived "leading platform" for multiplat games. For example the biggest series of the era was Call of Duty and the perception was that 360 was the leading platform for that particular game even if it was on multiple consoles.

Yeah that perception of leading software is definitely the biggest driving factor for sales of hardware (along with hardware price).
I agree with you though, that if I were a PS4 owner myself, I'd be more interested in what exclusive offerings there are, those are generally ones that make the hardware really sing.

Biker19

Banned
North America is Microsoft's principal market for the Xbox One. They care more about what happens in the USA than any other territory.

Oh i see, Be quite ironic them losing then as MS really didn't care for Europe at all from the get-go.

Think about this, the reason why the Xbox 360 got 80+ million in total hardware sales, is because of the 34+ million owners outside of the U.S. who bought the system, along with the 46+ million owners in the U.S.

It's the first year, the PS3 was a lot worse because of how long it took studios to ship games for it. Even the PS2 had a long period of no games. The Xbox 360 thinned out after launch as well. It's not surprising there would be a drought. Bigger games are rushed out for launch, thus will not trickle in after; smaller games start late because manufacturers tend to shut out the little guys.

Comparatively both the XB1 and PS4 are doing okay for post launch libraries. Sony bet on having indies ease the drought and MS had titanfall.

This. I even explained the situation about this earlier here.

robo

so the possibilities have expanded slightly after Tor's tweet??

1. Sony wins NPD outright (PS4/3 & vita)
2. MS wins NPD outright (360/xbone)
3. Xbone beats PS4 NPD
4. PS4 beats Xbone NPD
5. MS wins NPD but PS4 beats Xbone
6. Xbone sells huge amounts and overtakes PS4 LTD in US

Could no5/6 be the reason Bish is in Hiding?

Gonna be a late night for us Brits lol

We're only 5 months into its lifecycle. And a console has more than exclusive games in its library.

Lemondish

3. Xbone beats PS4 NPD
4. PS4 beats Xbone NPD

6 is pretty impossible. They'd have to sell 640k to 740k to make that happen. We'd have seen that level of demand manifest itself somewhere - but we haven't.

Those multipolar games are generally better on PS4 than PS3, so as someone who owns both I'd expect u to be playing on the ps4. Plus it's games like Cod, FIFA, Madden etc that sells consoles to the vast majority of people and for those people the PS4 has had tons to play already. Exclusives will come, but you're overplaying their importance.

Wii U has exclusives, but the market doesn't give a fuck about it.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Maths are fun. Let's say Xbox One sells 300k units. Microsoft makes a loss at every unit sold at launch price. In effect is now a complementary $100 loss for every Titanfall-bundle sold. If we pretend that the $100 loss is applicable to every unit that's a loss of $30m. Sure "warchest" but I don't think anyone at Microsoft is going to cheer. It basically means that they're back at square one.

Maths are fun. Let's say Xbox One sells 300k units. Microsoft makes a loss at every unit sold at launch price. In effect is now a complementary $100 loss for every Titanfall-bundle sold. If we pretend that the $100 loss is applicable to every unit that's a loss of $30m. Sure "warchest" but I don't think anyone at Microsoft is going to cheer. It basically means that they're back at square one.

I don't think they are selling for a loss at full retail.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I don't think they are selling for a loss at full retail.

Regardless they need to account for the lack of $30m (or so) from sales. (And I do think they're selling it at a loss and I think there is enough proof floating around not to doubt it.)

3. Xbone beats PS4 NPD
4. PS4 beats Xbone NPD

I find scenario 6 to be highly unlikely. Expecting X1 to outsell PS4 LTD (close a 340k gap), when PS4 also had an exclusive title in March, implies that ps4 demand dropped off a cliff in the US (to almost nothing).

I would guess, as most people do too, that X1 takes March (easily) and maybe outselling PS4 YTD.
But hey, stranger things have happened.

N.Domixis

Banned
Think about this, the reason why the Xbox 360 got 80+ million in total hardware sales, is because of the 34+ million owners outside of the U.S. who bought the system, along with the 46+ million owners in the U.S.

This. I even explained the situation about this earlier here.
Can't believe they have decided to forfeit those 30 million sales in eruope and other regions. That is a potential 30 million plus for ps4 and with previous ps3 owners would add up to 100million+ sold. Xbox would be at around 50 million if ps4 has parity with it through out the gen in the us.

wotta

I find scenario 6 to be highly unlikely. Expecting X1 to outsell PS4 LTD (close a 340k gap), when PS4 also had an exclusive title in March, implies that ps4 demand dropped off a cliff in the US (to almost nothing).

I would guess, as most people do too, that X1 takes March (easily) and maybe outselling PS4 YTD.
But hey, stranger things have happened.

PS4 sold over 1 million in March, we know that. At least 100k was in Japan which leaves 900k for the rest of the world. It's very possible therefore that PS4 sold 350 - 400k in the US in March.

We'll know whose won as (if) soon as MS starts boasting.

Yasir

Excellent. Wonder what I'm gonna enjoy more; final 4 episodes of Season 2 Game of Thrones, or Gaf in 4 hours.

See you there

vcc

Regardless they need to account for the lack of $30m (or so) from sales. (And I do think they're selling it at a loss and I think there is enough proof floating around not to doubt it.)

http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/29/t...sts-381-and-why-this-matters-in-the-long-run/

"The Xbox One cost $471 to make. The PS4 costs $381."

After retailers cut and the cost of distribution they're probably just a bit below break even at launch. That will have gotten better 5 months after launch as yields get better and RAM prices dip.

Remember MS corporate has a lot of investors pushing for returns on the Xbox investment. Neither side wants or has corporate support for PS3/360 style losses.

kyser73

Can't believe they have decided to forfeit those 30 million sales in eruope and other regions. That is a potential 30 million plus for ps4 and with previous ps3 owners would add up to 100million+ sold. Xbox would be at around 50 million if ps4 has parity with it through out the gen in the us.

They did launch a product with some non-gaming features don't work outside the US (TV guide) and had to patch in local TV frequency matching after launch because overlaying XBone on PAL TVs was problematic.

Abdiel

PS4 sold over 1 million in March, we know that. At least 100k was in Japan which leaves 900k for the rest of the world. It's very possible therefore that PS4 sold 350 - 400k in the US in March.

We'll know whose won as (if) soon as MS starts boasting.

I'd say it's not really just possible, it's very likely. From what we've seen of GAF anecdotes about stock in EU, it's been barren, places like Germany, France, etc. seeing virtually no restock at all. 350-400k is reasonable, and likely.

I'd say it's not really just possible, it's very likely. From what we've seen of GAF anecdotes about stock in EU, it's been barren, places like Germany, France, etc. seeing virtually no restock at all. 350-400k is reasonable, and likely.

350-400K is the bare minimum. I think they may be closer to 450-500K.

Sony knows this is Microsoft's big month, so they looked to do everything in their power to provide massive shipments to the US at the expense of Europe.

Congrats to Sony for a fantastic start to next gen.

I fear the day when they don't sell a million a month...GAF and media will start the PS4 doomsday siren and drag Sony to the streets lol

Unlike bish I don't have a proper bunker to shelter in, so I got my mom and my aunt to make a temporary one until this whole thing blows over.

Image169.jpg

Even the old man helped out a little.

Image214.jpg

It's a little cramped in here but it will be worth it when none of my loved ones get banned today.

Image201.jpg

kinoki

http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/29/t...sts-381-and-why-this-matters-in-the-long-run/

"The Xbox One cost $471 to make. The PS4 costs $381."

After retailers cut and the cost of distribution they're probably just a bit below break even at launch. That will have gotten better 5 months after launch as yields get better and RAM prices dip.

Remember MS corporate has a lot of investors pushing for returns on the Xbox investment. Neither side wants or has corporate support for PS3/360 style losses.

I stand corrected. Still, it's still $10m per 100k of missing income. I don't think the investors are congratulating the people in charge for their skills at reading the market.

Unlike bish I don't have a proper bunker to shelter in, so I got my mom and my aunt to make a temporary one until this whole thing blows over.

Image169.jpg

Image214.jpg

It's a little cramped in here but it will be worth it when none of my loved ones get banned today.

Image201.jpg
Can I join you and your sexy family?

Image169.jpg

Image214.jpg

Image201.jpg

Am I a loved one?

...I love you

quetz67

Banned
350-400K is the bare minimum. I think they may be closer to 450-500K.

Sony knows this is Microsoft's big month, so they looked to do everything in their power to provide massive shipments to the US at the expense of Europe.

You guys here really believe Sony does everything just to win NPD?!? This is way blown out of proportion!

FranXico

You guys here really believe Sony does everything just to win NPD?!? This is way blown out of proportion!

As an european who was shafted by Sony in the past for no reason, I would appreciate there to actually be a reason for this for once...

vcc

It'd be to keep up momentum in a key market. The NA is the largest game market by far in both system sales and attach rate.

VanWinkle

Ma, why on earth are so many people thinking this is going to be such a crazy NPD? I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 won, nor would I be surprised if XB1 won. They both got a big exclusive last month.

Top Bottom