• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4: Web reaction to Sony's 'invisible' console

btkadams

the tablet argument is bs. there are a bunch of people who are literally buying apple tvs just so that they can stream youtube videos from their phone/tablet to the tv. the tablet integration with the ps4/xbox sounds awesome. people shouldn't be thinking about the two competing, as it seems like the two will be perfect together.

there was tons of juicy stuff as far as usability and social features.

Trust me, the mainstream press doesn't think youtube uploading and technicalities of features and such are "juicy bits of info". They don't want to just parrot a list of features in their articles and be seen as some sort of PR wing with that being the only info.

console hardware reveal was the only thing missing IMO. Price and date were never going to happen in February, and any site feigning disappointments at the lack of that information is being deliberately argumentative.

As I said you can hype up a big reveal and leave out the juicy bits of info (pricing - gaikai, hardware, PS+), just don't expect the mainstream press "to understand" or not feel they didn't come back empty handed. 8GB GDDR is all nice and dandy but only relative to pricing. They want to comment on what it means in the bigger picture and not just be given a feature list.

wat

The conference had a huge focus on connectivity, the tech was clearly secondary.

Connectivity for gamers.

"Broadly appealing" is reference to non-game content, and as much as I thought Sony did a very good job talking about the PS4 as a games machine, it spent very little time discussing it's non-game features.

The world has changed. Someone buying a $400+ console expects much more than games. And Sony did little to layout how the PS4 will be different than the PS3 in that regard.

artist

Banned
It was a very balanced conference, they didnt reveal everything and yet made enough noise to grab the gaming audience. It's also great that they didnt spend much time on the gimmick (motion control) either, it was shown but more from a development/content creation pov. Sony focused on the core gamer, admitted their mistake (with the PS3 arch) and showed a lot of promise with developer focused arch. They also seemed to open up their system more (phone/tablet) etc. It's looked like Sony was finally humble and hungry - a brand new Sony.

What the media wanted was a shock announcement - All PS3 games now available on iOS or some Oculus Rift type weird controller shit and the media would have gone bonkers.

I'm glad Sony put the gamer first and not some gimmick announcement/controller. The media can go fuck off.

People are going to hate because, admittingly, it is strange to announce a console and not show the console itself. But, you have to keep in mind that it is only February and things are still being finalized. E3 is when we'll see everything. If we have an invisible console after E3 then I fully support discontent.

sappyday

All I needed to know was the specs for the hardware. The look of the console itself is just as impressive of what the boxarts are going to be.

Subitai

Mainstream and core have officially split I suppose.

This press probably means they're going to feel much more pressure to go down MS's path of subscription media hub even more as it is clear the share button and iOS/Android apps weren't enough. It isn't fair, but the expectations for tech announcements have changed. You would have thought that in a corporate sense Sony would have had a better feel for this.

At least it is official now and the core gamers can start saving and other devs can see they have something to commit to now.

Well I liked what I saw except for the social features but I am sure those won't get in the way of my games. I would have liked to see the console itself, after the Super Slim my faith is shaken. I hope we don't get an ugly top loader.

I am a little iffy on the streaming backward compatibility. They should have atleast given us emulation for PS1 and PS2 games.

I was glad they didn't mention no used games, no always online for the console to function and no ingame advertisements. Though just because they didn't mention them doesn't mean they won't mention them later.

Cheech

So I have a question for you. When they show this at E3 (and they will) will you personally look back and say "too bad they didn't show this in February...". Will you? Will the media say that, or will they just post pictures of it and write an article about it because it's their job? I just feel this is a non-issue. Something to argue and cry about until the next thing to argue and cry about comes up. It really doesn't matter. It didn't hurt them. Once they show the console, people will forget they failed to show it in February because consumers are fickle as hell.

Did the fact that the PS3 looked like a George Foreman grill ultimately matter?

How long did it take for that iphone antenna issue to stop mattering?

Do people still even bitch about the map issue?

MS released a shitty console that was guaranteed to break within a couple years? Do people even talk about that any more?

When they show this thing in June and people cry about how it looks like a toaster, will people still give a shit that they didn't show it in February?

Shit like this just doesn't matter in this world. It's just a "thing" in a series of "things" that will simply cease to matter in a couple of months and people like those quoted in the OP are just encouraging all this BS talk about it and making people like you talk around it pretending it will actually matter in the grand scheme of things. It's ridiculous.

Ok, it goes back to my marketing argument.

When you think "PS3", what is the VERY first thing to come into your mind?

You're trying to rationalize emotion and animal thought, which are the two tenets of trying to get somebody to buy something.

Sony not showing the box was a massive error. It is one of the main reasons people are crapping on this thing. I assure you that Forbes and the NYT are not full of "fanboys" and "MS moneyhats".

You're trying to rationalize emotion and animal thought, which are the two tenets of trying to get somebody to buy something.

Sony not showing the box was a massive error. It is one of the main reasons people are crapping on this thing. I assure you that Forbes and the NYT are not full of "fanboys" and "MS moneyhats".

E3 man

Doffen

Why do you need to see the console?

And who the fuck is MICROSOFT to talk about announcing a console without showing the actual console?

uM4PDJH.jpg

Wasn't this during GDC '00? 20 months before the first region launch?

It was a very balanced conference, they didnt reveal everything and yet made enough noise to grab the gaming audience. It's also great that they didnt spend much time on the gimmick (motion control) either, it was shown but more from a development/content creation pov. Sony focused on the core gamer, admitted their mistake (with the PS3 arch) and showed a lot of promise with developer focused arch. They also seemed to open up their system more (phone/tablet) etc. It's looked like Sony was finally humble and hungry - a brand new Sony.

What the media wanted was a shock announcement - All PS3 games now available on iOS or some Oculus Rift type weird controller shit and the media would have gone bonkers.

I'm glad Sony put the gamer first and not some gimmick announcement/controller. The media can go fuck off.

Bingo. Sony needed this event because they won't be able to have a 4 hour press conference at E3. Whether we like it or not Vita and PS3 will eat up at least 30 or so mins.

Putting all their eggs in one basket would have been dumb. MS is going to have a huge E3. You can't just let MS win E3, you need something to counter attack. Reveal, pricing, and launch date is perfect for that.

Who knows what bombs MS has in store. Sony played it smart.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Gizmodo:
Sony has revamped its user interface for the new video games console
As the hours of demos and introductions dragged on, it became increasingly obvious that we weren't actually going to see the PlayStation 4. Sony either isn't ready for primetime, or Sony thinks the best way to get us interested is to play hard to get.

This one is weird. Let's see. Is there any big gaming event coming up this year where you'd want to have something else to announce?

This is why I said they should save everything for E3. Multiple conferences just fragment hype and info, why not blow everyone away at one event, closer to release. You show hardware, more games, price, everything.

With that said, if they were going to do an early conference, its better they didn't give a lot away now. E3 would have been underwhelming and people have short memories. A great E3 will make people forget about this meeting. I do like how Sony presented the info, they didn't talk down to the consumers or dumb down the event, it was intelligently spoken and real.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
People are going to hate because, admittingly, it is strange to announce a console and not show the console itself. But, you have to keep in mind that it is only February and things are still being finalized. E3 is when we'll see everything. If we have an invisible console after E3 then I fully support discontent.

Why is this weird? The first Xbox didn't have the console itself there. The Wii didn't even have its NAME when it was announced. The Wii U's console was a tiny little afterthought in the background of pictures of its controller. The "PS3" that was originally shown at its announcement was silver and had a boomerang for a controller.

Sony showed a semi-final controller prototype, talked about architecture, and released specs. The final form factor of the machine can come later. Usually announcements have the "look at our machine!" element because the specs either aren't nailed down or the company doesn't want to talk about them, so they have to lead with style instead of substance. Sony did have the specs nailed down and did want to talk about them, so they decided to lead with substance instead of style.

The big media event that is actually televised is still 4 months away. The price, release date, and final hardware will all be there.

SerOnionKnight

Neo Member
Let's be honest here, as bad as the Sony presentation was most of us are still going to buy it. We just love consoles, that's why we are here. We are hardcore and love systems that pump out awesome games. Sony has never disappointed.

If we are going to hate lets focus on Microsoft with their ads, kinect & paying for online.

UberTag

Announcing a console and not showing the console itself is all the rage these days.
Remember that great Wii U unveil where Nintendo barely showed the system and instead made a big deal about the glorified controller with a screen on it?
This is the same kind of thing. It worked for Nintendo, so why not Sony?

Let's be honest here, as bad as the Sony presentation was most of us are still going to buy it. We just love consoles, that's why we are here. We are hardcore and love systems that pump out awesome games. Sony has never disappointed.
That's kind of a funny thing to say seeing how I'm a loyal Vita owner and I'm sort of disappointed right about now. A year after launch.

If we are going to hate lets focus on Microsoft with their ads, kinect & paying for online.
Funny thing is that I saw ads on my dashboard in that Sony presentation.
I saw a camera bar that looked just like Kinect in that Sony presentation.
Why I even saw Master Chief in that Sony presentation!

And as for paying for online? Well, that's still up in the air now, isn't it?

mbmonk

Wired:
Talk is the cheapest thing there is. And that's basically what Sony did today: It espoused a philosophy, said the names of a lot of popular games, but didn't give us any real, concrete information in an age where it's more important than ever.

Didn't Sony release the full specs in a document after the event? So they basically told people everything but the plastic case that is going to encase the components, from a hardware perspective.

Let's be totally fair here, Sony had their ONE chance before the launch to show off what they have and here we are.

Sony has failed, again.

.GqueB.

Banned

Nothing you said speaks to my point.

Once they show the console at e3, this won't matter because it never really did. Never really will. People will move on. I swear, blogging has really hurt journalism. Every article reads like some sad opinion piece and a way to vent and it just over dramatizes everything. Everything matters so nothing really matters at all. It's all just noise.

FLEABttn

Banned
Didn't Sony release the full specs in a document after the event? So they basically told people everything but the plastic case that is going to encase the components, from a hardware perspective.

The deal people are making over the case is trivial anyways. It'll be a black box, likely similar in size to the console from the generation prior. As long as it's not a gigantic orange dildo, what it actually looks like matters little.

People slammed the fat PS3 for looking like a George Forman grill, but at the end of the day, that's not what kept PS3 sales low.

Astery

I'm pleased with Sony's showing, then apparently all these masses paying attention into different wrong areas. That's weird.

DirtyLary

All I gotta say is..

If XBOX make a deal with Twitch and incorporates streaming right off the console...

Then MS will win the console war hands down. Every wanna-be FPS and 2D fighter Pro will be playing on the new Xbox.

/mho

wages

Banned
I've read every comment on this thread and while there are good arguments being made on both sides I have to say that at least for me, the conference bombed.

I didn't expect price but no console was a bit surprising to me. They showed the controller and a Kinect like device but that was it. For as big a deal as they made this out to be I expected a lot more. A KZ video and some tech demos followed by nebulas talk that sounded to me like they want to make their own XBL was about it.

Jump out my ass.

Duffyside

Banned
So... this just shows that web sites (and any news source) get traffic on negativity, and don't have the courage to report honestly?

Portugeezer

Ouch. I wonder if this reflects investor sentiment as well.

It's bollox, I thought PS4 would not see this whole tablet/smart phone bullshit against it (Nintendo has a tablet controller so it's understandable for them), but noooooo, some morons think we are supposed to dislike consoles for being consoles.

W1SSY

I don't understand how showing the console matters. To me I thought they did a great job telling what was in it and what to expect. For me how the console looks isn't a big deal. Showing the controller is important because it is how you interact with the games but for the most part you don't mess with the console unless changing disks.

madmackem

All I gotta say is..

If XBOX make a deal with Twitch and incorporates streaming right off the console...

Then MS will win the console war hands down. Every wanna-be FPS and 2D fighter Pro will be playing on the new Xbox.

/mho

Like what ps4 is doing with its streaming then?.

btkadams

All I gotta say is..

/mho

i'm confused. isn't that what sony did with ustream? what's the difference? (serious question, as i don't use either website)

oh, and disclaimer: i did not watch that segment of the stream live, so i may have misinterpreted the extent of ustream integration.,

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Sony isn't trying to get non-gamers right now. It wouldn't make sense at the beginning of the generation.

So funny that nobody gets this. Why market a console at casuals from the beginning? Console will be to expensive anyway and fans will buy the first shipments anyway regardless of what the console does. Start marketing that thing at other audiences once you get the price down and have some "casual" apps to show

madmackem

I've read every comment on this thread and while there are good arguments being made on both sides I have to say that at least for me, the conference bombed.

I didn't expect price but no console was a bit surprising to me. They showed the controller and a Kinect like device but that was it. For as big a deal as they made this out to be I expected a lot more. A KZ video and some tech demos followed by nebulas talk that sounded to me like they want to make their own XBL was about it.

Jump out my ass.

hahaha what they showed blew live out of the water come on son.

Raoh

I see it at work too.

There are NON gaming reporters/writers who are thrust into the gaming scene and treat it as either a toy or a geek box for nerds and adult children.

All the negative comments also left out the fact that E3 is where its at.

Sadly its not just print magazines that are dying, its reporting. Forbes is still a viable financial and business news magazine/entity, but when you throw in a contributor to handle the day to day tech news, Forbes ends up looking like one of the silly gaming blog sites.

They care more about what the console looks like instead of what is inside it? Reminds me of a date I had once. Long story short she was cold, I asked her how could that be her jacket looked very warm, she said that that jacket was considered more of a fashion jacket, just made to look good but actually offered no protection to the weather elements. That's what a lot of reporters sound like to me.

i'm confused. isn't that what sony did with ustream? what's the difference? (serious question, as i don't use either website)

oh, and disclaimer: i did not watch that segment of the stream live, so i may have misinterpreted the extent of ustream integration.,

Right now, people much prefer twitch for game streaming over ustream. Like dailymotion compared to youyube.

All those statements read like petulant whining. They're personally disappointed they didn't show the console, but rather than say what they think they hide behind faux "industry analysis" that nobody in their right mind would agree with.

And the NYT one is just hilarious.

Top Bottom