• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4: Web reaction to Sony's 'invisible' console

Sony showed some awesome new features and social stuff.

Sony didn't show any new features and social stuff, and they should have.

Did you lose your train of thought between these two paragraphs?

Fuck that noise. If the only way to save gaming is to release a cheap machine targeting casuals then there's nothing left worth saving. I'm glad Sony isn't listening to you.

That might be the worst rebuttal in this entire thread. To parse my statements down to two mirroring sentences in such a way to make me appear illogical. Nice job ...

FafaFooey

The true beginning of a console war is when internet forum crazies really amp it up to 11. Declaring the PS4 dead or failing because they didn't show a big black box last night but EVERYTHING ELSE including full specs and real games instead is when its time to have a nice long calming sit down in front of the mirror with a loved one nearby to check you're not having some kind of stroke.

One of the best sentences I have ever read.

Just wow at that statement from NYT. I'm all for bite-sized gaming on my phone, but it's just that. No way I'd ever choose it over console gaming.

Anyway, if Sony had been like "It's out tomorrow," like Apple do, it would have been an unmitigated disaster. These aren't subsidised phones from a company with an almost cult-like following. Most of the target market will need time to save, or at the very least budget for and rationalise the purchase.

It seems like everyone expected everything on day one. Unfortunately, most in the press expect Apple to be every company now and want everything announced, shown and released within two weeks. Apple is the child of the press and when a company breaks the mold and isn't that child, everyone bitches and complains. They avoid the fact that consoles aren't supposed to be smartphones and don't have yearly re-releases and are for the most part different styles of entertainment. They forget that they need to spread out information over GDC, E3, GamesCom and TGS until launch. It seems like smartphones have spoiled everything and unfortunately the press is going to react in that way.

I'm not surprised, I guess. The PS4 isn't a smartphone, so they jump on it, slam Sony and talk up the phones. It just annoys me that they seem to ignore that the PS4 is being designed to embrace and utilize the smartphone market. Some of the comments from the press seem to be purposeful ignorance or sheer stupidity.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It is not just about the box. It's about 1200 people from media seeing the actual thing. Having even "hands-on" with the console. Seeing just some presentation, hearing a lot of big words and watching some video footage it is just not enough in the e-media today. I know the argument that the console launches are not the same as the phone/tablet launches, but maybe this is one of the causes for the last launches in the past years going so bad. It's a change in paradigm. Look not just at Apple but also at all the Windows 8 tablet/laptop hybrids. Or all the big phones/phablets. There are a lot of products (and expensive ones) announced months before the launch dates and they put everything on the table: specifications, price, the actual product.

DESTROYA

The problem is everyone else in the eletronic world gives it up on the first date. You think samsung will do the SG4 presser and not show the device? Or say avaible 8 months from now? Sony clearly messed up here and does not understand how the world works now. When you announce you better well have more details than this and be closer to launch or you get destroyed by the press.
Comparing consoles to phones is silly we get a new console refresh what like every 6-7 years but phones are about on a yearly cycle some more. I can understand your point but I'd rather have bits and pieces of news and important info than nothing at all. Was the press conference earth shattering ? Not really , but it did validate what some posters were saying what we would get. I'm sure they are saving the big reveal for E3 which would still be months ahead of luanch.

Emwitus

PlayStation 4: Web reaction to Sony's 'invisible' console

Mainly negative from what I can tell. More at the following link:

New York Times:
New features cannot hide the fact that PlayStation 4 is still a console, a way of playing games on compact discs that was cool when cellphones were not smart.

LOL at Main stream press thinking us consumers or developers would trade a full fledged uncharted/last of us for angry birds! Get that shit out of here. Now since random clips on youtube are garnering an audience TV people should put that shit on TV! Hypofreakingcrits.

Amir0x

Banned

Share button alone is a true innovation that isn't a gimmick.

Besides, if people want gimmicks, they just have to wait for Durango and Kinect 2.0 - now everyone can experience a peripheral that only works even half-way decently in 5% of all genres and has created the sum total of zero new ideas to date... since it's likely to be packed in, by reports!

A system for everyone, seems so.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dunno whether it's worth a new thread and wasn't sure where else to put it, so a web reaction thread might fit.

But anyway, Joellen Ferrer of UStream told a certain banned site that the press conference broke UStream's record for highest number of concurrent viewers (over 1m), with 7.5m viewers tuning in at one point or another (nearly matching the current record holder - NASA's stream of the meteor last Friday at 8m)

Dead Man

Those who are saying they didn't like it because there were not any new features, what would you have wanted that wasn't there?

This is completely annecdotal, but I had the same experience today.

I asked 3 of my friends who I consider core gamers if they checked out any of the PS4 news. Some way or another each of them echoed the same sentiment that they were disappointed or "let down" that Sony didn't show a box. One of them texted me calling it the invisible console?

Am I missing something? Out of all the things that encompass the PS4, the box is probably the least important aspect to me. If it were something I planned to tote around everwhere, sure it'd be a factor, but this thing is destined to be located in some entertainment area right next to a bunch of other black boxes. Let's be honest, they'd have to make this thing near abysmal to deter us from purchasing one. We lived with the PS1, N64, Gamecube, and Xbox; one more ugly box won't kill us at this point. I'm not trying to say that it shouldn't look good, but it's definitely not something I'm going to lose sleep over.

Do people really care more about the box than the games and its capabilities?

remnant

Banned
This is completely annecdotal, but I had the same experience today.

I asked 3 of my friends who I consider core gamers if they checked out any of the PS4 news. Some way or another each of them echoed the same sentiment that they were disappointed or "let down" that Sony didn't show a box. One of them texted me calling it the invisible console?

Am I missing something? Out of all the things that encompass the PS4, the box is probably the least important aspect to me. If it were something I planned to tote around everwhere, sure it'd be a factor, but this thing is destined to be located in some entertainment area right next to a bunch of other black boxes. Let's be honest, they'd have to make this thing near abysmal to deter us from purchasing one. We lived with the PS1, N64, Gamecube, and Xbox; one more ugly box won't kill us at this point. I'm not trying to say that it shouldn't look good, but it's definitely not something I'm going to lose sleep over.

Do people really care more about the box than the games and its capabilities?

No it's not really about the box. it just isn't that interesting. The games just aren't that impressive. GAF might have fallen in love with KZ4 but most of the general public don't care about that franchise at all.(if they know it)

and despite what a lot of people here want to think, the cultural zeitgesit has kind of passed the AAA consoles games behind. There are other ways for people to play games.

People are willing to invest in new consoles, yeah but what is there to really foam at the mouth at? Prettier graphics, social apps, we knew all this going in. It's kiind of like the last few Ipad announcements. Once you know what to expect it's not that surprising even if it's impressive.

God, just another example of some people and their terrible opinions of the PS4 reveal, saw a friend post this on Facebook:

Friend: Can you all hear the collective sound of apathy after the PS4 Sony conference?
Me: What didn’t you like about it? What do you think Microsoft will do better?
Friend: It was very pretty and all but it was basically “LOOK AT THESE SPECS! HEY LOOK PARTICLE EFFECTS! A GAME WITH GUNS! A GAME WITH CARS! A DRAGON! MORE GUNS! THIS TOTALLY ISNT HALO! THIS TOTALLY ISNT XBOX SMART GLASS! THIS TOTALLY ISNT A BROKEN KINECT! OLD E3 FOOTAGE WOOOOO! MORE GUNS! SHARE BUTTON!”

I just didn’t know how to reply! I mean you could basically do that to any conference ever and it would sound the same. I just had to not reply because its clear he isn’t going to be coming back with any sort of rational response, considering he summed up the whole online function with “SHARE BUTTON!”, let alone the “BROKEN KINECT” and “A GAME WITH CARS!”

Top Bottom