• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X/S owners. Did you pay retail or the scalpers? How did you get it?

Did you pay retail or pay the scalpers?

• I paid Retail

Votes: 346 83.8%
  • I paid Scalpers

Votes: 22 5.3%
  • I am still hunting

Votes: 25 6.1%
  • Not currently interested

Votes: 20 4.8%

• Total voters

Rival

Gold Member
I got my ps5 through sams club at launch. Preordered back in September. Series x got from target in February. Ordered online for in store pickup.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Glad you used that offer smartly! I got mine in the 21st of November 2020 (PS5) and it was comfortably easy compared to other countries as it's been handled differently here. You pay full price upfront, register your name and cellphone number in store. Scalpers didn't like it here. :messenger_winking_tongue:
It was honestly best deal in my life...well maybe after my car, which was around 400k CZK (20 000USD) cheaper, but still expensive.

I live in Turkey and am an Xbox player. Xbox Series X is officially sold in my country, with one big problem, it is 7500 TRY which is 875 USD as of today. This is due to heavy taxes our piece of shit government imposes. In my country even the government is a scalper, making more money out of products than manufacturers do. Whatever.

Even if I could afford one in Turkey, I did not want to pay that ridiculous price, you can get an XSX and PS5 DE for that kind of price. My father lives in UAE, Dubai. I checked whether there was any stock on Amazon UAE, it was there, and I ordered one to my father's house. I work for an airline, I can travel for ridiculously low prices, I bought tickets, got my Covid-19 tests and travelled to Dubai with my wife. Had a 5 day vacation, got my console, did a some shopping and came back, and I paid not much more than 7500 TRY/875 USD price they were asking in Turkey. I paid 2099 AED for the console, which is around 570 USD.

That's my story of getting my console, I'll do the same thing if I can find a PS5 in Dubai at retail price.

jonnyXx

Retail for PS5 thanks to gaf. I happened to be browsing here when someone posted that Bestbuy Canada had put it up for preorder a day early.

After preordering mine I called a friend to let him know but it was already too late and he wasn't able to get it. So yea, I got lucky.

Thank you gaf.
l9TUhNx.jpg

Boss Mog

Paid retail and it honestly wasn't that hard to get; all my friends that wanted one on launch day got one. Just either had to pre-order it in a store or online on the day they opened pre-orders.

FeldMonster

I managed to get an XSX for myself in November through Best Buy, I just got lucky and logged onto YouTube while someone was streaming. I was really down that I couldn't get one on launch day.

I grabbed 2 Disk Playstations for some colleagues (no interest personally, but I am happy to help others) through Walmart and Target.

If you are still struggling to get something you want, I recommend following Jake Randall on YouTube. He seems like a nice guy and has some guides and recommendations for each retailer. He does all of the hard work for you constantly refreshing, etc. You just get the page ready on your browser and click, "Buy".

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
I didn't realize how lucky I'd turn out to be (especially since I haven't even been able to find accessories in stock!), but I got the Sony invite to pre-order and I ordered the PS5 thru that with all the accessories and a couple of controllers and I got it. So I got it all the day before launch and everything has worked out fine. Which is great because otherwise I don't think I'd have one. Still haven't seen any in stock anywhere in my area.

Ensoul

After the PlayStation showcase last summer a few hours later as we know the floodgates opened and GameStop Walmart and Best buy started doing pre-orders.

Took me about 20 minutes but I was one of the lucky ones that was able to get a pre-order through Walmart.

Honestly It's a little absurd 8 months later people still are struggling to find systems. The PlayStation 5 is actually more difficult to get than the PlayStation 2 was when that launched.

JLB

Banned
Got my Series X super easy actually. Got it on first try and two days after it was at home.
Was very lucky, grtting one is extremely hard here.

Last edited:
Paid retail, got a tip online from a friend that Series X was in stock on Walmart back in March and got it just in time before it sold out

NullZ3r0

Banned
Got a Series S on launch day by spamming Walmart.com and beat the bots because it was in-store only. Ordered a Series X the same way a month later and got it two days before Christmas from Walmart.com.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Got my Series X via Gamestop for preorder and I got lucky.

Haven't been able to get a sniff of a PS5. I'll definitely get one, but I'm wondering what calendar year it will be!

LostDonkey

All Access through game UK. Got the console before I'd even paid a penny and had it over a month before they took my first payment.

HAL-01

I set up twitter notifs for bestbuy’s gaming account. As soon as I got a notification for new stock I went to the site and within a minute I was checking out my new PS5. This was back in December.

Aenima

Retail price.

Launch day camped 3 online stores for 5 minutes before midnight. At midnight started mashing that F5, one of the sites crashed at midnight and went offline, made my order in one of the other 2 sites. 6 minutes later was sold out. Got my console 2 weeks after my puchase, as the 1st wave of consoles went for ppl that made pre-orders before launch day.

To get the charging station that was also sold out everywhere. I followed the product in one of the online stores. Got an email notification when it got back on sale. Purchased it. Got Sold out later in the same day.

Last edited:
Series X-- i forgot when it was launching, but I just happened to get online at the exact moment it did. Went to BestBuys site. Was able to get a Series S right away. Decided to try to sit around a little and get a Series X. About 20 mins later i snagged Series X...and cancelled the Series S order.

PS5--- wasn't interested, so i think i missed launch. I eventually started trying to get one a couple weeks after launch. Took like a month or two of trying. I could've gotten a bundle once or twice, but never pulled the trigger because of the bundle prices. And i just wanted the singular console.
Welp after 2 months i decided to throw that idea out the window and caved on one of the GameStop bundles. It came with Miles Morales and Demons Souls.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Retail Series X and S. I was tempted for a scalped Ps5 especially when the 60fps LOU2 came but I held off. After a few weeks of trying, luckily the other day I randomly opened the Game website as soon as I got home from work and Ps5 was in stock so I bought the cheapest one with Spiderman for £502 inc £9.99 delivery. The cheeky bastards wanted £50 delivery on June 2nd. I can wait till June 8th.

DonJimbo

Im still waiting for Mass availability Here in Deutsche Land maybe when the Playstation Direct Store opens Here i can snatch one for Ratchet and Aloy

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m lucky that my local EBgames is close to my house, so I was able to get it no problem.

Monad

Retail price at Amazon a few weeks ago, Keepa tracking bot notify me at 4 AM on Telegram.

Advantages of being a night creature.

small_law

For the series X, I camped outside of a GameStop the day before pre-orders went live in store. I got lucky because the first store I stopped at had people waiting already and they were only taking three or four pre-orders. I was the fifth guy there. As I was leaving, one of the employees ran out of the store and shouted “they’re getting some at the Gamestop down the street and no one‘s waiting.” I booked it to the other store and was first in line. Had to camp outside overnight. Put in my pre-order that morning and had it on launch day.

As for the PS5, I was in the middle of teaching my night class when pre-orders went live. One of my students actually raised his hand and told me in the middle of class. I gave everyone a 10 minute break and tried to get one online, but it was too late. I got home around 9 PM completely beside myself. Then I hopped on gaf and one of you beautiful bastards suggested German Amazon. Order went through with no problem, shipped on EU launch day, and I got it a few days later. Whoever you are, thank you again.

Neff

I bought two PS5s in the UK within the last three months, one from GAME (for me) and one from Argos (for my brother). It wasn't that difficult, it just required knowing when stock was going to drop and being in the right place at the right time, which can be done by signing up to stock alerts via Discord and so on.

I would never pay scalper markup because I think it's a disgusting practice and refuse to encourage it on principle. Still trying to buy a Series X.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I pre-ordered 2 when it originally got announced. Got both PS5s on release day. My intention was to sell one and keep the other. However the prices people were paying at the time was insane so I sold both. I sold the first one immediately. The 2nd one I sold after I played it for a few days trying out the new controller and Astrobot. It wasn't just about the money though at the time I was very busy and had no time to play games so selling both for a heft profit made sense. However around March I finally had alot of free time again and desperately wanted a PS5. Luckily managed to bag a 3rd PS5 by following a discord stock alert group, I found it the 2nd day after I followed this discird group so the search wasn't as frustrating. After selling 2 PS5s it's basically like I got my PS5 for free as well as making extra money on top.

bobbyphunk

Neo Member
How... that store always says out of stock with no button. ARe you getting some inside information on when to go?
Sorry,

The button trick was available back in December 2020. I'm not sure if that's still an option if you are able to get a series X in your basket

I got 4 PS5s at different times without much problems

The first two were the difficult ones, I was trying all day and night to buy a PS5 and a PS5DE but I just wasn't able to. I was there just a few seconds after every drop from Walmart, target, Amazon, Sony and still wasn't able to get it.

One day though I woke up at 4:30 in the morning and I got a notification from best buy, they had stock. I thought I wasn't going to able to get it because I was 10 minutes late already but I saw comments of people getting it so I tried anyway. It wasn't working but I kept trying for 15 minutes and I finally got them, both of them.

So I realized that best buy was the best option, they had units in stock for like an hour.

I didn't even bother to try other sites for the other two PS5s. I waited until Bestbuy had a drop. It finally happened and I remember trying 15 minutes after they dropped, same procedure than last time. You have to click and wait for several minutes until it let's you check out. After 10 to 15 minutes it finally did and that's how I got my 3rd without any issues.

The 4th one was again on bestbuy, no issues, got the drop notification, got in the website and kept trying for several minutes.

WoJ

I used the hotstock app to get notified of new stock drops. Eventually got lucky and landed a Series X this weekend. I'll wait for the slim/Pro version of the PS5 before jumping in there. My backlog is big enough and I'll get any third party games I want on the Series X for now.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I would really like for everyone who wants to get a new console if they need. It's a complete system which uses less semi conductors and it's cheaper than 3080 alone even at msrp. It would be ultimate deal right now and no brainer now to f the pc market and get the console but the pc market is holding hostage consoles too. It's all inter connected misery :p

Gone

Banned
Paid 650$ for Series X day one here in Iraq and that's amazing since ps5 was selling for 1200$.

Both don't have official presence here so to have a next gen console day 1 was awesome.

Top Bottom