• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Graphics “Can Be As Realistic As Movies,” Says Epic Games

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I hope they show something worth playing on my high end pc indeed. And established titles like Halo/Gears can done with high standards as well. Hellblade 2 will be a short game, indie-like going by Matt Booty's new acquisitions road map, but the first one was a good one and enjoyed it.

Only 13 days to go, all of that will unravel. Personally much more interested in August's State of Play and showing more 1st party and 3rd party games to what's already a solid launch year lineup.
Game Pass on PC makes most of their first party games worth a shot at least, given they maintain the day and date release on Xbox and PC. By time consoles release I'll be considering upgrading. Right now I'm still on 1070ti, i5 8400, so not next gen ready obviously. It's a hard decision but I look at it like this.

Option A: Buy both consoles, upgrade my TV. Cost ranges about $2500 - $3000. fully capable for 4k and 120fps gameplay. No more money to upgrade monitor. Sad face.

Option B: Upgrade PC, buy PS5 then Series X down the line . Plan to get 3070ti and probably AMD 3900XT (or whatever the equivalent is for Nvidia) for roughly $2500-2700.
Itemized (Console: $400, 1440p Monitor 144fps: ~$500, 3070ti: $800 (Please?), Ryzen 3900xt: $500 Motherboard: ~$200 - 300) Pray my RAM is compatible still. Buy 2 more sticks to make 32 Gigs. (~$150)

Option C: Upgrade PC, buy Series X then PS5 down the line: Same as above, I expect Xbox to come in at $500. Advantage with having Gamepass so I don't have to buy the games I wanna play assuming all these will be available at launch day and date on Gamepass.

Disadvantage on option B and C...no shiny new TV and I'll haveto hope I can do 120fps via interpolation (yuck).

Have you got any proof of not being so? Show us, don't talk. And if you're thinking of that cinematic Quixel Rebirth, it's 5.3x less than PS5's gameplay demo, and not native 4K as well at 24fps. Uses 25% compressed 4K assets.

Go on, show a gameplay that looks more photorealistic.
I mean, to be fair, we haven't seen stunning gameplay yet either. We've seen a demo and videos of the new Horizon. This is not gameplay. These are controlled videos released in controlled environments.

There's a reason we didn't see a developer standing with a controller playing the game live.

That goes for both sides. I think COVID has affected both of them and they're both probably behind a bit because of COVID.

I went with extremely high expectations for last Xbox event and was a let down. Let it be low expectations and be amazed this time, don't you agree?

On the other hand, it sort of seems like you're repeating your mistake by being hyped for a State of Play, just like you were for an Inside XBox.

Dear friend, it's not that simple. It's much more complicated. I'm even expecting XSX to outperform PC's in data management even with its 2.4GB/s raw. Mine is PCIe 3.0 with 3.5GB/s NVMe m.2 SSD with Radeon VII and Ryzen 2700x, but it's meant for productivity (video/photo editing). Would've went with a workstation build but it's more than enough for my usage.

Was considering Big Navi, but what I've learned already makes me think it's not needed for me. Current gen consoles with all their weaknesses stood solid compared to PC, why would I bother when PC's are actually looking ancient in comparison mostly to PS5 and even XSX both being very strong and game-centric.

The i/o of PS5 alone is an equivalent of 11-12x ZEN2 cores, it's like having Ryzen 3900x just for decompression and other focused jobs.

Having a threadripper won't close the gap as devs won't even bother to optimized for it like a closed gaming console.
I see their are still a few hung up on the pixy dust, unicorn revolutionary SSD(most people have moved on from that PR BS after seeing PS5 games in action at the Sony event). I'm curious as to why none of the games includiing Sony 1st party games came even close to that UE5 demo? I didn't see anything from the sony event that couldnt be done better on superior hardware including XSX and high end PCs.

PS5 exclusives will be coming to PC. It is a certainty. More of them and sooner.

Some sony fans really have fallen for the Tim Sweeny and Sony PR marketing bliss.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

I see their are still a few hung up on the pixy dust, unicorn revolutionary SSD(most people have moved on from that PR BS after seeing PS5 games in action at the Sony event). I'm curious as to why none of the games includiing Sony 1st party games came even close to that UE5 demo? I didn't see anything from the sony event that couldnt be done better on superior hardware including XSX and high end PCs.

PS5 exclusives will be coming to PC. It is a certainty. More of them and sooner.

Some sony fans really have fallen for the Tim Sweeny and Sony PR marketing bliss.
A big reason nothing looks like the UE5 demo is because it's using new revolutionary techniques that is not yet adopted by the gaming industry. Unreal has been heavily involved in Real Time rendering for movies and TV shows lately, see Mandalorian for instance where all exterior backgrounds are done with big encircling wall displays and UE in real time. They have huge amounts of capital and talented developers and invest heavily in driving real time rendering forward. They've been researching and working towards a unique solution to micro polygon details with Nanite for quite some time as well as a robust realtime Global Illumination solution with Lumen. What they've shown is nothing short of stunning.

Last edited:
Have you got any proof of not being so? Show us, don't talk. And if you're thinking of that cinematic Quixel Rebirth, it's 5.3x less than PS5's gameplay demo, and not native 4K as well at 24fps. Uses 25% compressed 4K assets.

Go on, show a gameplay that looks more photorealistic.
47um71.jpg

A big reason nothing looks like the UE5 demo is because it's using new revolutionary techniques that is not yet adopted by the gaming industry. Unreal has been heavily involved in Real Time rendering for movies and TV shows lately, see Mandalorian for instance where all exterior backgrounds are done with big encircling wall displays and UE in real time. They have huge amounts of capital and talented developers and invest heavily in driving real time rendering forward. They've been researching and working towards a unique solution to micro polygon details with Nanite for quite some time as well as a robust realtime Global Illumination solution with Lumen. What they've shown is nothing short of stunning.

You mean to tell me Sony designed a system that has this "revolutionary SSD" that even their 1st party using proprietary engines can't come to grips with getting the most of it, but a 3rd party engine will?

All i've got to say is "well played Sony" that 250 million was put to good use!

Last edited:

JeloSWE

You mean to tell me Sony designed a system that has this "revolutionary SSD" that even their 1st party using proprietary engines can't come to grips with getting the most of it, but a 3rd party engine will?

All i've got to say is "well played Sony" that 250 million was put to good use!
Don't be so simple. UE is a very powerful engine that is used in many studios and keeps getting heavy development, all the stuff shown on PS5 will run on other systems but might differ in the amount of stuff that can be loaded into memory at runtime, it could mean less detailed objects and less variation in a level for instance. Sony's SSD is VERY fast but it's only about fetching stuff for the GPU and RAM quickly, it has nothing to do with rendering the stuff to screen. The UE5 demo looked so good because they showed of new rendering techniques, Nanite and Lumen, no other studio or engine are YET up to par with those technologies. Before we get more info on how Nanite work in detail, don't expect another engine or dev to make some thing similar in a short span of time. And I'm sure Sony's involvement and investments are very wise and will pay off in a year or two.

All first party PS5 games will make more or less good use of the new SSD. Ratchet was a good example of how it could load an entire new level in under 2sec and expect to be able to jump to a new map location in Spiderman in 1-2 sec.

One possible really cool thing you can do with the SSD is that you can do realtime story telling that takes place at vastly different locations and cut between them instead of using a pre-recoded movie. If the current location only occupies half of RAM you can pre-load the next scene while it's playing and so on.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

You are using a smartphone or a 1080p tv? No offence but the other thing would be not having a healthy vision.

If someone can't see these screenshots as a massive generational leap, I can only feel sorry for him/her being unlucky enough to acknowledge it due to some of the 3 factors above.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
On the other hand, it sort of seems like you're repeating your mistake by being hyped for a State of Play, just like you were for an Inside XBox.

Why would I be? Already satisfied with the PS5 reveal, it was one of the strongest reveals in gaming history with 9 first party games out of 26. State of Play to show what Santa Monica has like God of War 2 is a plus.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I mean, to be fair, we haven't seen stunning gameplay yet either. We've seen a demo and videos of the new Horizon. This is not gameplay. These are controlled videos released in controlled environments.

There's a reason we didn't see a developer standing with a controller playing the game live.

That goes for both sides. I think COVID has affected both of them and they're both probably behind a bit because of COVID.

Well, it was only a reveal, it was advertised as PS5 console reveal and a glimpse of PS5's games. And there has been enough gameplay worth making an idea of what we're getting. More to see the further we get closer to PS5 launch, PS4 still has Ghost of Tsushima under its sleeves and it's selling surprisingly strong at its most profitable period and still as high as launch prices in many regions around the globe.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Game Pass on PC makes most of their first party games worth a shot at least, given they maintain the day and date release on Xbox and PC. By time consoles release I'll be considering upgrading. Right now I'm still on 1070ti, i5 8400, so not next gen ready obviously. It's a hard decision but I look at it like this.

Option A: Buy both consoles, upgrade my TV. Cost ranges about $2500 - $3000. fully capable for 4k and 120fps gameplay. No more money to upgrade monitor. Sad face.

Option B: Upgrade PC, buy PS5 then Series X down the line . Plan to get 3070ti and probably AMD 3900XT (or whatever the equivalent is for Nvidia) for roughly $2500-2700.
Itemized (Console: $400, 1440p Monitor 144fps: ~$500, 3070ti: $800 (Please?), Ryzen 3900xt: $500 Motherboard: ~$200 - 300) Pray my RAM is compatible still. Buy 2 more sticks to make 32 Gigs. (~$150)

Option C: Upgrade PC, buy Series X then PS5 down the line: Same as above, I expect Xbox to come in at $500. Advantage with having Gamepass so I don't have to buy the games I wanna play assuming all these will be available at launch day and date on Gamepass.

Disadvantage on option B and C...no shiny new TV and I'll haveto hope I can do 120fps via interpolation (yuck).

For gaming, I would say buying both with a tv is the smartest move, except if you are a hadcore shooter player and prefer your desktop stance with a mouse. I didn't even start a game on my PC, would play Star Citizens if it's 100% ready, the rest will be on PS5. If there is a game on xbox that's too good to miss then I'll give it a shot on my PC. Overall, I think buying both consoles for gaming is the better deal than PC gaming.

Well, it was only a reveal, it was advertised as PS5 console reveal and a glimpse of PS5's games. And there has been enough gameplay worth making an idea of what we're getting. More to see the further we get closer to PS5 launch, PS4 still has Ghost of Tsushima under its sleeves and it's selling surprisingly strong at it's most profitable period and still as high as launch prices in many regions around the globe.
I totally agree. I'm just saying we haven't seen gameplay. We've seen the presented videos (without HUDs or anything by the way) so asking for gameplay when we dont have gameplay doesn't seem like a fair comparison. But I'm in total agreement with you.

Kenpachii

Dear friend, it's not that simple. It's much more complicated. I'm even expecting XSX to outperform PC's in data management even with its 2.4GB/s raw. Mine is PCIe 3.0 with 3.5GB/s NVMe m.2 SSD with Radeon VII and Ryzen 2700x, but it's meant for productivity (video/photo editing). Would've went with a workstation build but it's more than enough for my usage.

Was considering Big Navi, but what I've learned already makes me think it's not needed for me. Current gen consoles with all their weaknesses stood solid compared to PC, why would I bother when PC's are actually looking ancient in comparison mostly to PS5 and even XSX both being very strong and game-centric.

The i/o of PS5 alone is an equivalent of 11-12x ZEN2 cores, it's like having Ryzen 3900x just for decompression and other focused jobs.

Having a threadripper won't close the gap as devs won't even bother to optimized for it like a closed gaming console.

"The i/o of PS5 alone is an equivalent of 11-12x ZEN2 cores, it's like having Ryzen 3900x just for decompression and other focused jobs"

More like 3% usage on the GPU at best and that's even if they care.
The only reason they mentioned CPU compression was because it made it sound like something special but in reality its a useless metric as pc would never address it on the CPU side of things.

I/O on the PS5 is a joke in comparison towards actual PC ram.

Last edited:

Barnabot

ps4 was also much better than all PC's when it came according to avalanche studios...yet, they coudltn get their game to run at 30fps. overhyping consoles once again, nothing new here.
dunno man, 2 or 3 more threads like that and i'll be almost convinced to sell all my consoles and pc just to buy a ps5 just to play steam, gog , egs and ofc ps5 games. hope there's regional pricing for games that i'd like to buy and i also hope if i could be browsing gaf using the ps5. that's all i need.

/s

ps4 was also much better than all PC's when it came according to avalanche studios...yet, they coudltn get their game to run at 30fps. overhyping consoles once again, nothing new here.
Ps4 was mediocre and conservative hardware that gained mythical status because the Xbox one was shitty.

Anyway only Horizon2 looked good on the ps5 reveal (and RE8 I guess) and nowhere near UE5 good. Some games like the spider man one and GT7 looked embarrassingly bad.

Ps4 was mediocre and conservative hardware that gained mythical status because the Xbox one was shitty.

The PS4 had alot of great games though so it wasn't all shitty like you're claiming.

It's a bit much for you to say that the PS4 was only successful due to Microsofts mistakes with the Xbox One. Alot of people bought the system without looking at the competition.

Dolomite

Don't be so simple. UE is a very powerful engine that is used in many studios and keeps getting heavy development, all the stuff shown on PS5 will run on other systems but might differ in the amount of stuff that can be loaded into memory at runtime, it could mean less detailed objects and less variation in a level for instance. Sony's SSD is VERY fast but it's only about fetching stuff for the GPU and RAM quickly, it has nothing to do with rendering the stuff to screen. The UE5 demo looked so good because they showed of new rendering techniques, Nanite and Lumen, no other studio or engine are YET up to par with those technologies. Before we get more info on how Nanite work in detail, don't expect another engine or dev to make some thing similar in a short span of time. And I'm sure Sony's involvement and investments are very wise and will pay off in a year or two.

All first party PS5 games will make more or less good use of the new SSD. Ratchet was a good example of how it could load an entire new level in under 2sec and expect to be able to jump to a new map location in Spiderman in 1-2 sec.

One possible really cool thing you can do with the SSD is that you can do realtime story telling that takes place at vastly different locations and cut between them instead of using a pre-recoded movie. If the current location only occupies half of RAM you can pre-load the next scene while it's playing and so on.
... so we're going to pretend that a multiplat engine designed for Mobile gaming-high end PC will run most optimally on the PS5. Even though a 250 million dollar deal just leaked calling into question the integrity of the most recent coperate groveling by said Designer of the the Muliplat engine who insisted a few weeks ago there was no deal😂

PhNE15z.png

JeloSWE

... so we're going to pretend that a multiplat engine designed for Mobile gaming-high end PC will run most optimally on the PS5. Even though a 250 million dollar deal just leaked calling into question the integrity of the most recent coperate groveling by said Designer of the the Muliplat engine who insisted a few weeks ago there was no deal😂

I think that UE5 Nanite will work very well with the PS5 SSD speed, that doesn't mean UE5 in general won't do well on other platforms, why wouldn't it.

I should add that Nanite isn't PS5 exclusive in any way.

0vHx1Xp.png

Last edited:

JeloSWE

Oh that's fine, you're welcome to think guess and assume all you want, but until we see UE5 in actual action, or we get a deep dive bihind which parts of the game leveraged which parts of hardware at which rate, your assumption remains just that. Even then you speak about the SSD as if the XSX has none, or as if it's slow? It's faster than off the shelf options today. The PS5's is faster,...the only hardware advantage, but even that isn't a feature missing from the competition. The same company that claims the Tech Demo required superfast SSD reads is the same company who's Chinese Devs received backlash when they stated that the demo used SSD speeds in the **MB**, while running on a notebook. meaning a modern off the shelf SATA SSD could load the assets. The same guy who discredit the claims of actual devs from Epic china, is the same guy who promised that Epic has no marketing deal...only a few weeks before a $250million dollar investment from Sony was made.
I'm an Xbox fan but I call out BS from MS when I see it. It's wierd to make excuses and bend reality to fit what someone want to be true for a plastic box
Honestly I'm not a PS5 zealot, the XBOX is indeed a very powerful machine, probably going to have the resolution and fps advantage when comparing titles 1 to 1. I'll buy any platform if there are games I like, I have a Switch as well but Sony first party exclusives are what's really attracting me, regardless of horse power. All the games that are on the XBOX I can play on my PC any way. I agree the Box has a very good SSD and will most likely be more that good enough. But as you said Sony's SSD is faster and that will make some ingame difference when it comes to shuffle large assets in to RAM. Nanite will work on other platforms as well, it will probably look pretty good but we have at least seen what the PS5 can do with the SSD and Nanite and it's looking good.
You are misunderstanding me if you think I'm trying to win a console war here.

JeloSWE

If a game isnt running at at least 1440p 60fps minimum then it isnt visually impressive.
Even at 30, it's impressive. But I'm not gonna be happy if we have to suffer another gen with 30 molasses per second. I REALLY hope we'll see this at your numbers.

Tim is not lying. However its clear he's on their payroll.
I fail to see the problem here, Sony has been working with Epic on these new technologies, to what extent isn't know but Nanite and Lumen is not PS exclusive features. XBOX and PC users have nothing to worry about.

Kenpachii

Tim Sweeney is a multi-billionaire. 250 million from Sony, even if it went directly to him which it didn't, is very little to him.

250 million was at stake. What if he made the demo for a xbox series X and basically stated in tweets its the best box ever. will sony still invest in them? lol nope.

He aimed for sony and they paid at the end. Pretty smart guy.

Last edited:
The PS4 had alot of great games though so it wasn't all shitty like you're claiming.

It's a bit much for you to say that the PS4 was only successful due to Microsofts mistakes with the Xbox One. Alot of people bought the system without looking at the competition.
I was strictly speaking as to what the ps4 was for a console released in 2013 hardware-wise. The rest is irrelevant, it wasn’t some monster of a console even for its time of release.

To be honest, movie CGI has really declined. I think they already looked better than movies on the PS3. I imagine the PS5 will have Marvel themed games which are much smoother than the deal CGI used in their movies.
There's actually a pretty good video I watched on YouTube about why movie CGI has gotten worse and it has to do with how many movies is needed and the fact that there aren't more effects studios. I mean how many excuses can you make for the MCU which makes a billion dollars per film usually having films that are uglier than a 2007 film directed by Michael Bay. Like think what you want about the Transformers films but nothing in any of these avengers films comes close to it in terms of visuals. heck I go out on a limb and say there aren't movies today that look better than Terminator 2 does but that argument might be too far for some people and make me seem like an old man so I'll stick with my Transformers example.

I was strictly speaking as to what the ps4 was for a console released in 2013 hardware-wise. The rest is irrelevant, it wasn’t some monster of a console even for its time of release.

Developers were able to release some good looking games on it so it wasn't trash on my opinion. The only one that I would consider extremely weak is the Switch.

I mean, it really isn't surprising. Look at how great games look on the 6TF Xbox One X at 4k such as Gears 5 (which runs at 4k60 dynamic) and then consider that the 10.3TF and 12TF next generation consoles will also be targeting the same resolution range and that both consoles will have greater CPUs (at least 4x from XSX to X1S barring RAM) meaning much greater physics simulations in real time (lifelike object reactions, more interaction with objects), both consoles will now have SSDs in order to stream assets on screen much faster and smoothly (so LODs and pop-in will hopefully be mostly a thing of the past, making things look more immersive in motion) and will also have ray tracing capabilities to ensure that certain elements of a scene will also be mapped incredibly accurately (reflections, shadows, light etc) so that everything will "feel" right in motion.

Yeah, Epic Games is seriously hyping the system up and probably using hyperbole, but just look at how great games like COD:MW, Hellblade, Gears 5, TLOU 2 and various other games look on existing hardware, and consider that next gen at least twice the graphical power (alongside various technological improvements) will get us some very realistic graphics

Chaplain

...it has been a lifelong dream” of his to witness games that are “as believable and realistic” as big-budgeted Hollywood blockbusters.

But Tim Sweeny said we needed 40 Teraflops:

"You know, we're getting to the point now where we can render photo-realistic static scenes without humans with static lighting. Today's hardware can do that, so part of that problem is solved. Getting to the point of photo-realistic dynamic environments, especially with very advanced shading models like wet scenes, or reflective scenes, or anisotropic paint, though...maybe forty Teraflops is the level where we can achieve all of that." (7/16/16)

Tomeru

I really dont get the issue people have with this statement. If the ps5 can dosomething like that, so can the xsx. Thats it.

This "war" has everyone acting like goldfish in a tank.

I don't want my games to be realistic though.

Case in point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom