• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Graphics “Can Be As Realistic As Movies,” Says Epic Games

ZywyPL

Banned
In fact, have you seen any multiplatform developers praising anything from XSX? If yes, how many? (Multi)

TBH we haven't hear anything from anyone directly, just some unconfirmed news from attention seeking Twitter journos like "I hear developers are saying this and that", but no specific names or studios ever show up, it's as reliable as all the "insiders" info back in the day... But that being said, I actually believe the PS5 is indeed easier to develop for, bare in mind PS5 has a full year advantage over the XBX in terms of development time (Pro vs X1X release dates), so it's more than obvious all the tools are way more refined than the ones for XBX, which devkits started to be released at the very end of 2019, and Lockhart supposedly started to have its own devkits just recently.

When you have the most powerful console but need to say it on twitter every day maybe something is wrong.

Yeah it's like Bugatti saying they have the fastest cars on the planed over and over again. Or Nvidia bragging about their GPUs. Shitty marketing indeed. But let me guess, Sony wasn't wrong when they were advertising PS4 and later Pro as "World"s most powerful console", right? No offence but you sound much like Tim Sweeney recently, so who knows, maybe before we know it, we will read that Sony hired you to replace Mark Cerny as PS6 lead architect?

Skyr

jUZJ27W.png

BGs

Industry Professional
That response didn’t age too well.
Nope.

I did not invent any statement. I already said it once, all certainty is true in a moment of time. In statements from TimS my statement was true at the time of writing. That Sony wanted to buy 1.4% of the company now does not discredit my statement. In any case, ask TimS for explanations, which was the one that published it on Twitter. Although also at the time of publication that statement was true.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
In fact, have you seen any multiplatform developers praising anything from XSX? If yes, how many? (Multi)

Or someone saying that the XSX 12TF is going to be a relevant factor?
A lot more than PS5. The third one in the link is literally about the 12 TF GPU.
But that being said, I actually believe the PS5 is indeed easier to develop for, bare in mind PS5 has a full year advantage over the XBX in terms of development time (Pro vs X1X release dates), so it's more than obvious all the tools are way more refined than the ones for XBX, which devkits started to be released at the very end of 2019, and Lockhart supposedly started to have its own devkits just recently.
Watch the Dirt 5 interview.
So anytime new hardware comes out, it's usually a very, very painful experience. When hardware shows up, it's usually half finished or it's crashes a lot, and the API that the programming tools that we use, then usually not finalized or even worse, they can suddenly change halfway through development. And so suddenly you're having to pivot really quickly, but actually Series X has been a very smooth experience. So Microsoft has developed something that they called the game development kit, which is a new replacement. And actually it's going to be utilized on original Xbox One and Xbox One S and Xbox One X.
And that's how everything is going to be developed together, a unified product development all the way from Xbox one up to Series X, but making the most of the hardware features across the board. But there are actually benefits to that as well, so an Xbox one game that was developed before now, could now to perform better if it was made with the new game development kit. And it also has the ability to make use of low latency input, which really, really important for a racing game.
And I'm a big fan of fighting games. So I'm looking forward to some of those coming out in Series X and making most of that too. But all in all, development on Series X has been more of the same, but just allowing me to stop and say, "Okay, my day to day toolset has not changed that much. It's still that familiar Xbox one experience, but now I get to make the most of all of the new toys."

BGs

Industry Professional
TBH we haven't hear anything from anyone directly, just some unconfirmed news from attention seeking Twitter journos like "I hear developers are saying this and that", but no specific names or studios ever show up, it's as reliable as all the "insiders" info back in the day... But that being said, I actually believe the PS5 is indeed easier to develop for, bare in mind PS5 has a full year advantage over the XBX in terms of development time (Pro vs X1X release dates), so it's more than obvious all the tools are way more refined than the ones for XBX, which devkits started to be released at the very end of 2019, and Lockhart supposedly started to have its own devkits just recently.

Yeah it's like Bugatti saying they have the fastest cars on the planed over and over again. Or Nvidia bragging about their GPUs. Shitty marketing indeed. But let me guess, Sony wasn't wrong when they were advertising PS4 and later Pro as "World"s most powerful console", right? No offence but you sound much like Tim Sweeney recently, so who knows, maybe before we know it, we will read that Sony hired you to replace Mark Cerny as PS6 lead architect?

When PS4 came out I was not here. And if he had been he would have said the same. This opinion / statement is perfectly valid and valid for all companies. When you have to go out and say the virtues of your product every time someone says something about theirs, it is that something is wrong. Do you see Nike counter-advertising on Twitter every time Adidas announces something? When things are not needed, they are not done.

We are not talking about whether or not Bugatti can say that his car is the best. I am saying that it is not a good sign to say it every time Ferrari announces something. When you have to repeat so many times how good you are maybe you are doing something "wrong". And that goes for everyone.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
People acting as if it's not been proven yet, it showed those movie-like gameplay with 8K uncompressed, Hollywood-level assets and 16K shadows already. Problem is it can't run on other platforms according to Epic Games, maybe that stings a bit.

Unreal_Engine_5_13.jpg

And here, early batch of games directly from PS5 (not PC or pre-rendered):

49996577022_dc0401dfe1_o.png

49996301136_2992070916_o.png

Now compared to Angry Birds Movie 2 CGI:

32386c9b5c5ee27b49d6ccf67846d069.jpg

If those factual, official screenshots are too hard to look at then close your eyes and continue your ignorance.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
When PS4 came out I was not here. And if he had been he would have said the same. This opinion / statement is perfectly valid and valid for all companies. When you have to go out and say the virtues of your product every time someone says something about theirs, it is that something is wrong. Do you see Nike counter-advertising on Twitter every time Adidas announces something? When things are not needed, they are not done.

We are not talking about whether or not Bugatti can say that his car is the best. I speak that it is not a good sign that London every time Ferrari announces something. When you have to repeat so many times how good you are maybe you are doing something "wrong". And that goes for everyone.

Fun fact: 2007 Nissan GT-R with only 480hp has beaten Bugatti Veyron 1001hp in Nurburgring, world's hardest ring and the pinnacle of engineering tests.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Waiting to see it in action.

Demos are fun, but it's not a full game. Tim Sweeney knows how to keep his investors happy. On the one hand, he may be telling the truth, but on the other hand, its most likely a half truth or even more accurate, a lie of omission.

To be clear, if Sony can do it, chances are Xbox can too, seeing as it's got more beef on the grill.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Waiting to see it in action.

Demos are fun, but it's not a full game. Tim Sweeney knows how to keep his investors happy. On the one hand, he may be telling the truth, but on the other hand, its most likely a half truth or even more accurate, a lie of omission.

To be clear, if Sony can do it, chances are Xbox can too, seeing as it's got more beef on the grill.

Well, it's not about the beef on the grill, it's more about how you cook it. Without direct comparisons, we can't tell. So far XSX is falling short with that so-called xbox gameplay event, this next one better show something good.

People acting as if it's not been proven yet, it showed those movie-like gameplay with 8K uncompressed, Hollywood-level assets and 16K shadows already. Problem is it can't run on other platforms according to Epic Games, maybe that stings a bit.

Unreal_Engine_5_13.jpg

And here, early batch of games directly from PS5 (not PC or pre-rendered):

49996577022_dc0401dfe1_o.png

49996301136_2992070916_o.png

Now compared to Angry Birds Movie 2 CGI:

32386c9b5c5ee27b49d6ccf67846d069.jpg

If those factual, official screenshots are too hard to look at then close your eyes and continue your ignorance.
The bar really is low if we're going to use cinematic cutscenes as your evidence.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well, it's not about the beef on the grill, it's more about how you cook it. Without direct comparisons, we can't tell. So far XSX is falling short with that so-called xbox gameplay event, this next one better show something good.
Phil's talkin alot of shit, I hope he can back it up. He did an interview recently where he acknowledges Xbox's heavy leaning on Halo, Forza and Gears. He said this show is going to see a new direction for the studios, some creative freedoms taken and it's going to be "high quality". Doesn't mean Halo and Forza isn't going to be there, of course they are, but I want to see how they've changed. I wasn't head over heels for the original fable games. They were good, not great. However, Playground Games, if they are in fact, making Fable, should be interesting to see what they do with it. Rumored Perfect Dark does have me pretty excited as well. I want something that's more mature, dark, cyberpunk. Everwild also looks interesting. Overall, I don't think those will be enough. Hellblade 2 has to show up big and if Everwild is the only new IP, I'm going to be quite disappointed.

EDIT: My mistake, Project Mara from Ninja Theory is a thing as well. It looks like it's being made with Unreal Engine from it's original teaser, but can't be sure. I guess that would make 2 new IPs

Last edited:

ZZZZ

Phil's talkin alot of shit, I hope he can back it up. He did an interview recently where he acknowledges Xbox's heavy leaning on Halo, Forza and Gears. He said this show is going to see a new direction for the studios, some creative freedoms taken and it's going to be "high quality". Doesn't mean Halo and Forza isn't going to be there, of course they are, but I want to see how they've changed. I wasn't head over heels for the original fable games. They were good, not great. However, Playground Games, if they are in fact, making Fable, should be interesting to see what they do with it. Rumored Perfect Dark does have me pretty excited as well. I want something that's more mature, dark, cyberpunk. Everwild also looks interesting. Overall, I don't think those will be enough. Hellblade 2 has to show up big and if Everwild is the only new IP, I'm going to be quite disappointed.
We will see, they are going cross-gen so that's a bummer, i wanted to see what Halo built for next gen only running on a 3080ti/3090 would look like.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I hope they show something worth playing on my high end pc indeed. And established titles like Halo/Gears can done with high standards as well. Hellblade 2 will be a short game, indie-like going by Matt Booty's new acquisitions road map, but the first one was a good one and enjoyed it.

Only 13 days to go, all of that will unravel. Personally much more interested in August's State of Play and showing more 1st party and 3rd party games to what's already a solid launch year lineup.

When you have to go out and say the virtues of your product every time someone says something about theirs, it is that something is wrong. Do you see Nike counter-advertising on Twitter every time Adidas announces something? When things are not needed, they are not done.

We are not talking about whether or not Bugatti can say that his car is the best. I am saying that it is not a good sign to say it every time Ferrari announces something. When you have to repeat so many times how good you are maybe you are doing something "wrong". And that goes for everyone.

This is just silly. Should companies only run commercials once or twice? When you are the lesser known product, constant messaging is exactly what you should be doing. Sony can afford to be a little more reserved in their marketing.

Bugatti is an absurd comparison. It's a boutique car brand. You don't sell that kind of product by blasting marketing all the time. They make hundreds of their products. Microsoft wants to sell 100 million. If they want to sell that many as the current underdog, they should be constantly communicating their strengths, why someone should buy an XBox over a Playstation. This might annoy the close observer with the repetition, but that's not who this strategy is for.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
We will see, they are going cross-gen so that's a bummer, i wanted to see what Halo built for next gen only running on a 3080ti/3090 would look like.
I'm pretty sure they've debunked this worry in press releases. The whole "the X holding back next gen games" is not a thing in terms of development. The Series X runs something close to a 2070/80 Super so I don't think there was ever a possibility of them developing for the 30 series GPU's to begin with.

I hope they show something worth playing on my high end pc indeed. And established titles like Halo/Gears can done with high standards as well. Hellblade 2 will be a short game, indie-like going by Matt Booty's new acquisitions road map, but the first one was a good one and enjoyed it.

Only 13 days to go, all of that will unravel. Personally much more interested in August's State of Play and showing more 1st party and 3rd party games to what's already a solid launch year lineup.

You probably should just go all PC then if you have a high end pc since you'll have all the best multiplats and PS5 exclusives in the near future. I think it's a given that more and more PS5 exclusives will land on Epic store after the 250 miliion moneyhat.

Last edited:

Genx3

I wonder why Sony hasn't mentioned this $250 million investment into Epic.

Its almost as if they're hiding something.

You should really consider leveling out your expectations a bit.

Pallas

Gold Member
Nope.

I did not invent any statement. I already said it once, all certainty is true in a moment of time. In statements from TimS my statement was true at the time of writing. That Sony wanted to buy 1.4% of the company now does not discredit my statement. In any case, ask TimS for explanations, which was the one that published it on Twitter. Although also at the time of publication that statement was true.
Normally I’d agree, since things change quite a bit but deals are usually planned and worked out and not a spur of a moment thing. You made that comment on Saturday and the news broke about the investment yesterday, so that alone was only a mere week or less apart.

Im basing this on the assumption that you had actual inside knowledge and wasn’t just going by the tweet by Sweeney. Otherwise forget what I said above lol

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You probably should just go all PC then if you have a high end pc since you'll have all the best multiplats and PS5 exclusives in the near future. I think it's a given that more and more PS5 exclusives will land on Epic store after the 250 moneyhat.

Dear friend, it's not that simple. It's much more complicated. I'm even expecting XSX to outperform PC's in data management even with its 2.4GB/s raw. Mine is PCIe 3.0 with 3.5GB/s NVMe m.2 SSD with Radeon VII and Ryzen 2700x, but it's meant for productivity (video/photo editing). Would've went with a workstation build but it's more than enough for my usage.

Was considering Big Navi, but what I've learned already makes me think it's not needed for me. Current gen consoles with all their weaknesses stood solid compared to PC, why would I bother when PC's are actually looking ancient in comparison mostly to PS5 and even XSX both being very strong and game-centric.

The i/o of PS5 alone is an equivalent of 11-12x ZEN2 cores, it's like having Ryzen 3900x just for decompression and other focused jobs.

Having a threadripper won't close the gap as devs won't even bother to optimized for it like a closed gaming console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom