• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Graphics “Can Be As Realistic As Movies,” Says Epic Games

thelastword

Banned
A movie like "The Scorpion King" ? xD
No, that Scorpion movie with The Rock was the jankiest partial CG movie I've seen, with some of the worse animations too. We've seen much more highly detailed CG models before om games, even real-time cutscenes.....I think next gen can really pour in detail into characters.....With the way nanite works. Next gen should be a real showcase...

Thanks.

Yup, thats mr "13.3tf" live and in the flesh. He's just a psvr dev, so i wouldn't give his word any value. Especially not after 13.3tf.
saying that there was no deal between the two (epic / sony) is absurd, continues with "When you have the most powerful console but need to say it on twitter every day maybe something is wrong."
Dude you where dropping riddles :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Krisprolls

Banned
PS5 will be able to load higher detailed textures a lot faster than XSX, it's a fact and it's due to the huge SSD speed difference (more than 100%) and custom IO, so it's totally possible some games look better on PS5 despite the slight CPU/GPU advantage on the XSX side.

I don't see anything strange with that. That's the way modern games work, streaming assets is a huge part of it.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

My eyeballs are ready, Tim. Come at me, big boy...

Qt6NdUZ.jpg

LarknThe4th

I mean graphics are already insane on the Xbox and Ps4 right now, so I dont really question it

Graphics fidelity is at a level now that is kinda crazy!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I mean graphics are already insane on the Xbox and Ps4 right now, so I dont really question it

Graphics fidelity is at a level now that is kinda crazy!
Wait until VR catches up to realism. Talking about Shitting your pants experience. We are a long ways off but not too far in the future.

Obviously a deal is in place and they are not talking about Series X, but relax people. Nothing bad has been said about your preferred platform.

Xbox will be fine. PS5 and Xbox will have great looking games next gen, mark my words.

LarknThe4th

Wait until VR catches up to realism. Talking about Shitting your pants experience. We are a long ways off but not too far in the future.
I'm excited about trying VR, but I need it to be comfortable and a premium experience, I knows this is a ways away but I am excited about it, feel it could be the future(even with all the negativity around it now)

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I'm excited about trying VR, but I need it to be comfortable and a premium experience, I knows this is a ways away but I am excited about it, feel it could be the future(even with all the negativity around it now)

I am the same way. That is why I did not want psvr. The experience is not good enough for me to invest yet but can see the potential.

LarknThe4th

I am the same way. That is why I did not want psvr. The experience is not good enough for me to invest yet but can see the potential.
See I have heard good things about PSVR what with Astro Bot and all, maybe a PSVR 2 would suit me in about 4 years when the tech has caught up??

VFXVeteran

Banned
So, Epic shows off an incredible tech demo using 8k cinema assets on a PS5 devkit, and people have a problem with their claim about the high level of realism enabled by the PS5's architecture that can effectively stream in data at over 10 GB/sec from its SSD at very low latency? It seems the primary limitation here is the capacity of the distribution (100 GB Blu-ray disc) and storage (825 GB SSD) mediums.

What makes CG looks 10x better than that UE5 demo is the lighting and shading. We are indeed still years away from that kind of lighting and shading.

Outrun

PS5 will be able to load higher detailed textures a lot faster than XSX, it's a fact and it's due to the huge SSD speed difference (more than 100%) and custom IO, so it's totally possible some games look better on PS5 despite the slight CPU/GPU advantage on the XSX side.

I don't see anything strange with that. That's the way modern games work, streaming assets is a huge part of it.

It is strange considering that the XSX also has a fast SSD...

The sooner people accept that the XSX is the slightly stronger system, the better.

gow3isben

I really want a sony dev to make a very linear cinematic game, Order styled, but with better gameplay. Spend some budget on it. It would likely look unreal.

The sooner people accept that the XSX is the slightly stronger system, the better.

And because of Lockhart, Sony exclusives will probably still be untouched. Multiplatform will run better on X sure.

Last edited:

sendit

That's such an incredibly vague statement that means nothing honestly xD.
What resolution?
Under the right circumstances I am sure you could make TLOU2 run at 144hz.

I'm sure he was referring to Dirt 5 being announced for XSX having a 120 FPS option back in May. This same option was announced for the PS5 just recently.

BGs

Industry Professional
weren't you the one doing riddles as an insider in the next gen thread talking about puberty etc...
No, it "wasn't", I am. Although that's not what I said. I said that PS5 was not 9.2 and that I was "entering" puberty. I'm also the one who said it was a more efficient system. But if you have any kind of problem with me or my statements you can ignore me, it is what I now do with ungrateful and manipulative people of other people's comments based on their interests or personal desires, I answer a message and put them in the group of ignored. But if your intention is to start a dialectical war with me, I am sorry to inform you that you should settle for talking to the mods or admins on the forum.

And what will you say when XSX wins the majority of head to head DF analysis? Devs seems to be praising how easy PS5 is to develop for, the SSD, and audio features. Devs, nor even Sony are claiming PS5 is the most powerful console. Why is that?

It's common for the market leader to get more marketing buzz. Whether it's Epic, Activision with its heavy COD marketing for the entire gen, 1 yr exclusivity for the Crash Collection, Destiny, or all the other major timed exclusive AAA multiplats.
I have already said the answer to that question on my own initiative in the past (and several times) without being asked. I have said many times that the practical visual difference between both systems will only be detectable by DF. Therefore, in response to your question, when that happens, I will have nothing new to say that I have not already said. Likewise, what DF says matters to "few" people. Same as what is said in the forums or the network. For example 4 million people have bought TLOU2, and more than 100 million PS4 users have not.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Sweeney/Epic has been dancing for Sony's coins for years now. Every gen he says the newest Sony console has made the PC obsolete, and every gen his company's own games look and run better on PC.

There was a battle between Tim Sweeney, Todd Howard and Peter Molyneux for the coveted "Most full of shit" award in gaming. Unfortunately Peter was so full of shit he was disqualified when it was discovered he was injecting shit directly into his brain. Sean Murray joined the competition but decided to back out and try to make his game what he'd originally promised. At least Todd really only lies about his own products.

I tend to regard just about anything Tim says as complete horseshit.

pXegweo.jpg

Maybe he likes trolling console/pc warriors. Sounds fun to me.

No, it "wasn't", I am. Although that's not what I said. I said that PS5 was not 9.2 and that I was "entering" puberty. I'm also the one who said it was a more efficient system. But if you have any kind of problem with me or my statements you can ignore me, it is what I now do with ungrateful and manipulative people of other people's comments based on their interests or personal desires, I answer a message and put them in the group of ignored. But if your intention is to start a dialectical war with me, I am sorry to inform you that you should settle for talking to the mods or admins on the forum.
All insiders need to be banned, they misled gaf and the moderators, many users got banned for questioning those insiders credibility.
Apisak, Komachi & DF where saying 36CUs makes sense for BC, It was guys like you, klee, osirisblack that had all the fans looking the other way because of your own confirmation bias.
R R600 was banned because of (fake insiders, pressured from fans for saying Github was real), they even got rid of DF John D dark10x from the thread.
You portrayed yourself as a clever video game riddler, that's all.
BTW you said PS5 is entering puberty not you where entering puberty (that was just 1 of many riddles of yours) & no i have no intention to start a dialectical war with you.

Darius87

Please do not throw the "brute forcing" nonsense out. Either read/watch the tech articles/videos on the XSX or be quite. XSX is highly customized on all fronts, from the gpu, cpu, SSD,I/O, Velocity, Audio Accustics,etc
can you exactly say what customized hw xsex has inside gpu, sdd? because i'm failing to find some except decompressor and i think i heard about DMA inside i/o and audio chip to help cpu but nothing about gpu or SSD, please unlighten me.

Your're speculating with Zero facts. Based on the Sony event, where they showed plenty of games, there was NOTHING that wowed anybody. In fact, after the Sony Event, the unicorn overhyping of the SSD "revolutionizing" how games are developed stopped fast. Did you notice that? Why is that? You're going to see a 1-3 second difference in loading between the two platforms in the majority of cases, while XSX will run games at higher resolution,framerates, ray tracing etc...
how do you know on what he's basing his opinion on? actual hype over ps5 SSD is valid and every time we hear more about it impressions becomes better and better like part of rewriting UE5 code for ps5 SSD because engine can't keep up with it or is that also part of the deal with sony? :messenger_grinning_smiling:

You utterly failed to prove your point. Where does it say XSX is brute forcing? If you can't provide evidence of these devs stateting XSX is "brute forcing" then yes, you should stay quite and stop making up false statements. And how do I know your statement is false? I read/watched tech interviews/analysis from DF, MS, and other tech outlets explaining in detail the customizations on XSX. It is HIGHLY customized to be efficient.
PS5 is highly customized xsex only has customisez i/o and audio chip and nothing else that we know about.

XSX has an effecient I/O, it has Velocity to make things even more efficient and faster. Just because its not as fast as PS5's, does not = "brute forcing". If you want to argue "brute forcing" i'd argue it's the PS5 with its skyrocketing high clocks to the point of having to apply variable clocks to assist.
if you argue high clocks is brute forcing then clearly you're the one which fails to understand what's brute forcing.

Until Mr. Sweeney says that demo could not be done on the XSX, it's all moot. And NOTHING from the Sony event, including 1st party exclusives came even close to that demo!
wow can you believe that... :messenger_grinning_smiling: nothing comes close to ps5 demo itself what a failure ps5 is. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

BGs

Industry Professional
All insiders need to be banned, they misled gaf and the moderators, many users got banned for questioning those insiders credibility.
Apisak, Komachi & DF where saying 36CUs makes sense for BC, It was guys like you, klee, osirisblack that had all the fans looking the other way because of your own confirmation bias.
R R600 was banned because of (fake insiders, pressured from fans for saying Github was real), they even got rid of DF John D dark10x from the thread.
BTW you said PS5 is entering puberty not you where entering puberty (that was just 1 of many riddles of yours) & no i have no intention to start a dialectical war with you.
That they should prohibit me from being here for the simple fact that what I say you don't like? But who do you think you are? Precisely those who give a bad image to a forum are disrespectful like you. What should they do with you then? Quote some message of mine that under NDA is a lie. When you find him adopt a Minion. I forgot to hit the ignore button, but it is an error that I have just solved, so do not waste any more time answering me, I will not do it by reading you. Of course, you are reported.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned

High quality textures and assets exclusive to the PS5 folks......

Unfortunately for you and the other kool aid drinkers is the fact that they have been available for years,,, On HDDs too!!!

GTFO with this nonsense

Leyasu

Banned
The whole lead up to the reveals of both consoles and what was said by these so called insiders here and elsewhere should remain fresh in everybodies minds.

The shit that got spewed and the people shouted down and dog piled for daring to question the insiders was unbelievable. It should serve as a lesson. Bu Bu But Klee said or Andrew Reiner said or Matt, on Era they were even ready to jump on Tommy Fishers cock when he said the ps5 was over 11 Tfs

After CBOAT (who was actually Bish), Thuway (who was getting set up by Bish to be an insider), and Famous mortimer (full of absolute shit), you would think people would have been more sceptical. But the merest mention that their favourite company could have a more powerful box, is enough for them to get on their knees and swallow what ever is being offereed

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You only need to be blind, brain-dead, or living in a cave to not know that it's actually obvious after the UE5 gameplay running in real-time on PS5. Game engines need to be overhauled and leave the dirty, ancient LOD's methods to be optimized for state-of-the-art PS5 architecture.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
i dont disagree with your overall sentiment, but i will have to correct you regardless.

R600 was a self ban. i dont think he was banned by mods.
John was harassed by one user who was then banned immediately and dozens came to John's aid including yours truly.

i dont disagree with your overall sentiment, but i will have to correct you regardless.

R600 was a self ban. i dont think he was banned by mods.
John was harassed by one user who was then banned immediately and dozens came to John's aid including yours truly.

R600 definitely requested the ban. Leaving the site was his choice because he couldn't handle the criticism due to some of the mistakes that he made.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Is anyone going to honestly be surprised when PS5 and XSX games look identical, and yet still fall short of movie CGI? Then again, there are varying levels of CGI over the decades, so it's very likely that next-gen games will be able to surpass things that we saw at the turn of the millenium, if not later. However, animated movies of the past couple of years are going to be out of reach for realtime graphics. There's just that much more that can be done with carefully hand-animated scenes that are rendered out over hours or days. I think the statement needs to be kept in perspective.

Pallas

Do these guys have some sort of deal with Sony?

Nope.

In fact, have you seen any multiplatform developers praising anything from XSX? If yes, how many? (Multi)

Or someone saying that the XSX 12TF is going to be a relevant factor?

When you have the most powerful console but need to say it on twitter every day maybe something is wrong.

That response didn’t age too well.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It is strange considering that the XSX also has a fast SSD...

As an adult i don't get this, i could understand if your a kid or a fucking muppet but the spec's clearly show the XSX as the more powerful console and no amount of but but but this is gonna change it ffs, either accept you're a grown ass adult and wise the fuck up or admit you're a fucking insecure child.

I'm a massive PS fanboy and will be buying a PS5 at midnight and as a fucking adult i'm actually glad to see MS come out of the gate swinging like a motherfucker and knocking some of that complacency out of big bad Sony, either way Next Gen on both consoles is gonna be great and the digital foundry breakdowns will read exactly as they do for the Pro/X1, the multiplat games will look overall the same with an advantage to MS but boy oh boy when NaughtyDog, Santa Monica & Guerrilla Games get loose on the PS5 then we'll start to see what the PS5 can really do

Top Bottom