• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Operating System to Make Playing Games “As Easy as Netflix”

ZehDon

Gold Member
I mean, gaming on modern consoles isn’t particularly difficult. I’ve never once hesitated to launch a game because it might take a little bit to load. That comes with the territory. I have, however, hesitated to play a game because of fucking updates. 30gb update there, 50gb update here, day one updates, title updates, system updates.

Has Sony or Microsoft addressed this yet? Because I don’t think the OS or the storage speed is going to do much to stop this, and it’s a bigger barrier to my games than along load times.
Netflix doesn’t tell me it needs to update Saving Private Ryan with a 57gb update that downloads at 2mb/s when I go to watch it.

Sony and their ponies seem pretty desperate for positive things to discuss about the PS5.
You're not doing yourself any favours with a post like that.
Good luck continuing this kind of behaviour.

On Topic:
Seems pretty straight forward. Sony is looking for ease of use with the UI that allows gamers to immediately continue from where they left off.
There is also a patent by Sony whereby you can boot straight into various sections of the game bypassing any splash/loading screens. Seems the UI is designed to reflect this feature.

Also just want to comment that soon Jason Schrier will too pack his bags and leave the forums just like other industry and media personnel. Once again he is getting attacked as a Sony 'shill' and what have you by rabid fanboys who can't help but to attack him for reporting something.

Last edited:
Games seem already pretty easy to play to me. I pop in a disc and hit play. How much easier could it get than that?

If they want you to be able to just jump into games and start playing immediately, then tell devs to cut out annoying tutorial sections.
It takes me 1 minute and 30 seconds to get from Division 2 splash screen, through various loading screen to start playing the game. The same for God Of War, Horizon Zero Dawn and other games.

PS5 is aimed to dramatically cut down on these 'waiting' times to start playing a game. From what i understand the UI is designed around this. Booting straight into the game to any game mode or map.

If ya'll still don't understand this concept then i don't know what will. It really is not rocket science.

JLB

Banned
only way to have a netflix like ui is to ditch physical support, entirely.
Something that will eventually happen on next or next next gen anyways.

Top Bottom