• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5's 'Lightening Fast' SSD can potentially REDUCE CRUNCH for (First Party) Developers (Sorry, O'dium!!!)

And my point is that I really don't see how that is an issue with the way games are made these days. Assets can easily hold tokens with the priority level in it as it's demanded from the SSD. Set and forget. It's super easy and saves significant time to how things are done today.

Today, if you need a piece of data urgently, you'll have to wait for seek, read and transfer. Now it's all way, way, way faster, but it's not just faster. You can literally have it borderline instantly with maximum priority level so it gets read and transferred before anything else. It's beautiful and just shows how fine-grained and precise Mark Cerny's approach is in architecting PS5. It's truly beautiful.

XSX is all just brute force. Kinda grotesque if you ask me, but some people have a fetish for grotesque things, who am I to judge?
In your little world you don't seem to understand that if PS5 can load something instantly that the Series X by paper stats alone would do it nearly instantly as well.

Mark Cerny brought up the 2GB's of data in 0.27 seconds, so it would take the Series X roughly 0.66 seconds. This also isn't factoring in Microsoft higher memory bandwidth, this also isn't factoring in Microsoft's wider system bus.

Not exactly Earth shattering, and to call it simply brute force and grotesque is just some dumb fanboy drivel.

In your little world you don't seem to understand that if PS5 can load something instantly that the Series X by paper stats alone would do it nearly instantly as well.

Mark Cerny brought up the 2GB's of data in 0.27 seconds, so it would take the Series X roughly 0.66 seconds. This also isn't factoring in Microsoft higher memory bandwidth, this also isn't factoring in Microsoft's wider system bus.

Not exactly Earth shattering, and to call it simply brute force and grotesque is just some dumb fanboy drivel.
Look at me right now and tell me if Xbox's SSD has six levels of prioritization aimed to eliminate the typical bottlenecks that a typical SSD has?

ps5_ssd_big_news_image1.jpg

If so, then provide real evidence and not speculation.

Top Bottom