• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I hate the blurry look of the visuals. Paired with the fact that the camera never zooms in when it could frame the action closer it makes for a game that's often hard to follow 100%. The moves don't seem very "distinct," either.

Really?

It looks fantastic on my TV. Very crisp and sharp. I'm playing on a 40" Samsung 720p/1080i set. The colors pop, and the details are sharp.

I don't disagree that it's easy to get lost in the chaos. I'm sure they're going to work on that more.

The moves are very, VERY, distinct, however. I strongly disagree with you on that one.

I'm only playing as Kratos, but I've fought against the other 5 characters multiple times, and they are all very different, with different attacks, and different methods of approach.

I'm beginning to see why people like/loathe Radec and Sly. They are monsters when played by a competent player.

Fat Princess is also incredibly impressive. She seems the most polished out of them all so far, as in, the balance between her skills, AP gain, supers, seems really well adjusted. The other five characters, including Kratos, feel like they need a few more tweaks, although Radec seems pretty close to being as balanced as FP. Sweet Tooth seems close as well. Sly, Kratos, and PaRappa still need work, I think.

I like that we've all managed to find a character that suits us really well. I can't wait to get my hands on the full roster. I'm really dying to get my hands on Cole, though.

I can see some really, really epic matches playing out once we all get instinct level familiar with our chosen characters. I'm still fumbling through some of my attacks and combo attempts. I'll keep at it though.

EDIT: For the new players:

GAF: Figboy79
PSN: Figboy
Region: NA

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
All this getting up off the couch to restart the PS3 is getting really annoying, but I guess its a sign of a good game when I've played for hours a version of this game with only online FFA, 6 characters, and 4 stages and I'm still getting up to restart the machine after a match disappointingly ended after a freeze.

If that isn't a sign of a great game I don't know what is (of course assuming the freezing will be fixed which of course it will, maybe even by the true public beta?).

EDIT: I'll watch out for you P-Lloyd and Zabuza

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Nice! Which one was it? I'm maining Kratos right now. I'm really trying to stick with him and learn his intricacies.

It's really tough when it's 3 other people beating away on you. I had a great back and forth with a Sweet Tooth, though. We were on the right side, and the other two fighters (a Sly and Radec) were battling on the left. We got some 1v1 action momentarily, with me and ST exchanging throws (which I completely forgot you could do. Lol). and trying to get our supers in. He was really good.

Is your username the same as your GAF name?

I'm done for the night, though, but I'll definitely be back on tomorrow when I get up, since I'm off on the weekends.

Yes, same name. Awesome. I am playing all 6 characters randomly. I have difficult time to decide which character I should work on for beta version.

Also I hope that we get upgrade beta version with drake and cole. I would love to try cole since he's my boy! :)

Also I hope that we get upgrade beta version with drake and cole. I would love to try cole since he's my boy! :)

I was the Fat Princess. My psn is Renewman1. haha

It literally makes me sick that SB has tampered with Sakurai-samas vision. Firstly there is like no imput lag and get this: they actually seem to have removed tripping. First they copy the game and then remove content.

My favorite character so far is probably Kratos. Probably only because I can understand hes combos much easier and quicker because its very similar to the GOW games in some respect. So hes the only one im playing decent with.

I like Sweet tooth. Hes standard moves are really powerful, which makes him fun to play, but his supers seem really under powered. Which is not good for actually winning obviously. Hes level 2 is useless and people say not to bother with it. The level 3, while really cool, seems pretty hard to kill with. People dodge and get around you pretty easily. I admit I only used it once so far, but I've seen other people use it quite a few times. With Kratos I can easily get kills if I put in the time to build up a level 3. Sweet tooths lvl 1 is pretty good and I usually can get 1 kill almost every time now. It does take practice. I got 2 kills with it a couple times, but it seemed like luck.

So whats the battle strategy with Sweet Tooth? Just farm a bunch of level 1's? :/

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Awesome, I remembered you.

Also I think sly's level 3 is too long. He managed to took 6 lives in one level 3, and they need to fix that glitch. This person played smart. After he got 6 lives, then he kept focusing camera away from us so we wouldn't know what we are doing.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I wouldn't get my hopes up. All you really should be hoping for is an updated version with less freezing, less drops, no character cloning, and no camera breakage on sly's level 3. Now that, or at least portions of that, may be possible.

So whats the battle strategy with Sweet Tooth? Just farm a bunch of level 1's? :/

Spam shotgun like your life depended on it. Also allways have a mine set. Lvl 2 is useless. Try to use lvl 1 when people are not paying attention to you since it can easily be interrupted.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. All you really should be hoping for is an updated version with less freezing, less drops, no character cloning, and no camera breakage on sly's level 3. Now that, or at least portions of that, may be possible.

Oh that first part of my post wasn't my post. I was trying to quote Heath and forgot to actually quote it. lol

I hate the blurry look of the visuals. Paired with the fact that the camera never zooms in when it could frame the action closer it makes for a game that's often hard to follow 100%. The moves don't seem very "distinct," either.

Really? I have a few quips with the visuals, mainly the character models(kratos and drake), but they game seems anything but blurry. Very clear on my end. In fact the IQ and overall crispness I would say is its strong suite. Maybe its just the chaoticness of the battle makes it hard for you to focus?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It literally makes me sick that SB has tampered with Sakurai-samas vision. Firstly there is like no imput lag and get this: they actually seem to have removed tripping. First they copy the game and then remove content.

The one thing they could do to make up for it is put Jenifer Tate into this game, but they didn't even do that! Fuck sony.

HiiiLife

Still can't believe I missed so many specials with Kratos. Either they are out my reach or I completely swing it the opposite direction. Fml.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
holy shit just did work with sweet teeth

kick ass even with lvl 1 super.

I think Sly and Sweet Tooth's Super 1 are the best level 1 in the game so far. Fat Princess come second with Kratos and Radec. Sly's Electronic roll and Sweet Tooth's Shoulder Charge felt right but strong. I can't help but use those moves to get close fast.

Grim, yeah that was awesome. Looking forward for our rematch at Oct 23 :D

Man, I wish this beta had a training mode. I'm trying to practice a Sweet Tooth combo into level 1 but I can't get the timing down.

Grim, yeah that was awesome. Looking forward for our rematch at Oct 23 :D

I was hoping the match would be good since it would be my last before I went to sleep, and it was!

And bring it, I'll beat you then, too! :3

Jaroof

Just played my first match.
I ended up in third, as Radec.. didn't know how to block for half the match, because I missed the controls screen. That was my fault..
But I like how it plays! As people have said before, it feels much different than Smash once you start playing, but man, is it fun!
Gonna play some more matches.

Jaroof

I'm confused as to why some of the characters look sad when they've won the game.. or happy when they've lost. I've seen this happen a few times..

Gorillaz

Pappa the rapper is a troll

the stuff he says in this game is....oh man

"it's all in your mind"
"lets roll"
"it's all in your mind"
it's all in your mind"
"it's all in your mind"
his lvl 3 is a rap that makes shit explode.

haha dude is a troll

problem wise: characters doesn't go double under to a lower platform, the winner looks upset even if he won (loud ninja pointed that out) and at times supers don't activate in a super vs super matchup. At times I hit mines first but the opposite gets there super first?

Loudninja

Bugs:
-Character not displaying the right emotions
-Parappa level 3 sometimes dont work right and ends up freezing every other character.
-Sly's level 3 sometimes breaks the camera,or the binoculars stay on screen.

HiiiLife

Parappa just had some weird glowing orb around him. And I mean a huge orb. Like a white force field. And the whole time he was stomping the ground it looked like. Lol.

Loudninja

Parappa just had some weird glowing orb around him. And I mean a huge orb. Like a white force field. And the whole time he was stomping the ground it looked like. Lol.
AH you sure someone didn't pick up the shield? Its not white though so I dont know.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So I tried transcribing some combos from this video here until i got bored and tired. I'll do the rest tomorrow unless someone wants to do it for me. Doing it from order of appearance in video and only beta characters.

Kratos
charged side circle > jump > side triangle (in air) > neutral square > neutral square > neutral triangle > move towards > up triangle

Parappa
neutral circle > down square > up square > up square > up square

Sly
up triangle > neutral square > down triangle > neutral square > neutral square

Fat Princess
side circle > down triangle > up triangle (mash up or neutral triangle until move is finished)

HiiiLife

AH you sure you or someone didn't pick up the shield? Its not white though so I dont know.

Are you speaking of the yellow/greenish forcefield? I'm assuming from Resistance? If so, it's not that one. Like seriously, it looked like white whisps. Almost as if Parappa was going Super Saiyan or unleashing his Chakra. Im sure it was a bug cause the character was just stomping the ground and NOT hurting anyone at all. It was a funny sight to see though.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

If you have a level three, you need to hold down R2 to activate it, as you hold it your white super aura around you expands. If you let go before the super comes out, the aura will come back in. It makes it look a little silly if you mash it, but I kindof like it.

So either he was mashing R2, or it glitched during super.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
On a separate note, I love how Fat Princess's butt stomp can go through platforms. Just like if you were falling normally you hold down to go through the platforms and don't hold down to land. So you get to choose where the butt stomp lands. Its really details like that which make me appreciate the attention to detail in the gameplay that Superbot puts into this game.

Also there is a special swim animation for each character. I've only really paid attention to Fat Princess and Sly's animations, but they are great. Fat princess does a great waddle, and sly uses a barrel as a boat and rows his way around with an oar, because I don't believe he can swim in any of his games, and I think he had a rowbarrel minigame.

Game is very solid but this has to be the buggiest beta I have been on :<. Gotta pray SB irons it all out for release. Beta patch would be awesome too ;).

Game is very solid but this has to be the buggiest beta I have been on :<. Gotta pray SB irons it all out for release. Beta patch would be awesome too ;).

Theres been much buggier beta's. Its not that bad, very smooth online for the most part. Definitely does have bugs and issues but its still very playable and fun.

Tansut

For some reason I do really well with Radec.

Also, how do you grab in this game? I keep trying to read the controller layout while it loads but it goes away too quickly between matches.

EDIT:

My primary complaints so far are:

-I sometimes simply lose track of my character during moments when all the characters are grouped together in the same spot. Like I just start jumping around or something to figure out where my guy went.

-Sly Cooper

For some reason I do really well with Radec.

Also, how do you grab in this game? I keep trying to read the controller layout while it loads but it goes away too quickly between matches.

If you're referring to throwing, I believe it'd be moving the right analog stick in a direction as shown by the controls in the main post.

Left Analog Stick/D-Pad: Movement
Direction on Right Analog Stick: Throw
X: Jump
Square: Attack 1
Triangle: Attack 2
Circle: Attack 3
L1: Block
L2: Taunt
R1: Item pick-up/drop
R2: Super Attack
L1 + Left Analog Stick/D-Pad movement: Evading/Rolling

Pasted this here so that you can see the entire controls. :)

All right, I'm awake. Got a lot of catching up to do with this thread.

Spacing out posts with loads of ---- or [*indent] tags is usually frowned upon. Not everyone is running the same resolution as you are. Just a suggestion.

Don't blame me, blame people who can't be arsed to read the first couple of sentences in the OP. Because you're not that much of a jerk and there's been only one offender since, I guess I can get rid of it.

Top Bottom