• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
And here's the list on the OP of this thread:

SSReborn / Klipz-Wish / Canada
k_Reign / k_Reign / US
The Grim Heaper / TheGrimHeaper / US
Sarcastic Response / renewman1 / US
JStein0222 / jsnake22 / NA
TimeEffect / Alpha-Male22 / NA
SmithnCo / smithnco / NA
MyMyAxaco / GottaBeat / NA
Desmond / DessieB93 / Ireland
Drencrom / Drencrom / Sweden
Acquiescence / Acquiescence / England
jondabomb / jondabomb / NA
Tribal24 / Tribal24 / NA
Jonboy / jonboy_jlf_2004 / NA
jtir123 / jtir123 / NA
baekshi / sharingan_itachi / us
Drago / PokeDrago / US
Napalm_Frank / NapalmFrank / Fin
Fancy Corndog / Malpractice / US
Jakfu / Jafku / US
Grokbu / Grokbu / Sweden
LuuKyK / LuuKyK / Brazil
Miutsu / Miutsu / Venezuela
PSY・S / SuP3RiViAIN / US
TurkishEmperor / TurkishEmperor / EU
bakedpony / bakedpony1 / Phi

IntelliHeath / IntelliHeath / US

Boss Man

Things to consider:

1) Remove '1P', '2P', '3P', '4P' icons for characters who are not being played locally.
2) Colored (according to player number) death lights.
3) Colored (according to player number) respawn lights.
4) Add a subtle colored (according to player number) trailing effect for knockbacks.
5) Surround the whole perimeter of the super bar with a color coded splatter-paint effect when you get a super so that you can see it from the corner of your eye with your peripheral vision. And make it "shine" when it gets to level 3. -TimeEffect
6) An audio cue may help too -TimeEffect

Perhaps the colors should also only kick in for local players. It would remain white for AI players and online opponents, to further reduce confusion.

I'm going to add stuff to the list that I like. I especially like the audio cue. It would be cool for the Super bars to 'catch fire' or look like they gained power or something when they reach a new level.

All of these things should be rather easy to implement (even with only firing colors off for local players), and would go a long way for the game.

SykoTech

k_Reign / k_Reign / US
SmithnCo / smithnco / NA
Tribal24 / Tribal24 / NA
jtir123 / jtir123 / NA
Drago / PokeDrago / US
Jakfu / Jafku / US
Grokbu / Grokbu / Sweden
LuuKyK / LuuKyK / Brazil
PSY・S / SuP3RiViAIN / US
SykoTech / SykoTech / US

Added myself.

k_Reign / k_Reign / US
SmithnCo / smithnco / NA
Tribal24 / Tribal24 / NA
jtir123 / jtir123 / NA
Drago / PokeDrago / US
Jakfu / Jafku / US
Grokbu / Grokbu / Sweden
LuuKyK / LuuKyK / Brazil
PSY・S / SuP3RiViAIN / US
SykoTech / SykoTech / US
CryoLombax / Timberland2K7 / US

Added myself.

Also added myself

solidus51

Banned
We can easily make the website happen and it can be a small site for now it doesn't have to. Be real big and a lot of the hardcore crowd only go to smashboards

Ran rp

I agree that the palate swaps for Kratos, Radac, and Sweet Tooth just are not different enough, and a big lag spike where every thing jumps everywhere is obviously confusing but otherwise I'm not having a problem with being able to follow my character at all. And it was just as easy to lose track in brawl, what being thrown super far away super quickly. And I know I've died every time I died too. Sometimes I didn't know why, as I didn't know all the supers of everyone yet, but I certainly am never confused, outside the costumes and lag spikes.

I never had a problem with finding my character in Smash Bros because most of Nintendo's characters are instantly distinguishable from each other. But I'm always having trouble here because a bunch of grey/brown colored characters flipping around against a dark colored background is a bit confusing. Sometime's I'm not sure if I'm looking at a Kratos or a Radec.

So here's what I'd like to propose as things to consider:

4) Add a subtle colored (according to player number) trailing effect for knockbacks

This is a great and simple solution.

Edit: Just post your info in the correct format and corporate cheerleader will add you. No need to keep posting the list.

Ploid 3.0

Have anyone realized that the super to kill thing doesn't feel weird? I remember when it was first talked about, now it's all normal. I still don't want to get hit, and I still want to build meter. It feels bad to waste meter with a wiff. It makes you want to play smarter.

Boss Man

Have anyone realized that the super to kill thing doesn't feel weird? I remember when it was first talked about, now it's all normal. I still don't want to get hit, and I still want to build meter. It feels bad to waste meter with a wiff. It makes you want to play smarter.
I was one of the people who doubted this, and it definitely does feel right once you're playing.

The main thing that I didn't consider is that getting hit keeps you from hitting others, lol.

J-Tier

Yeah, this is true. I remember everyone initially having doubts about the system, but after playing it, it actually rocks.

^

Probably right about the color coding going out of hand, but if the other two ideas I had get put in with the rest of yours, tracking should be a whole lot easier.

I again, love the idea of a color coded trail. Maybe that trail should be local only, so that only you see it on your screen when you're the one that gets knocked back.

And yes, the whole "Super to Kill" thing worry is gone. So much of this game is all about experiencing it for yourself to really get it.

Also, How are you guys dodging super 1's? I find it difficult to seem them coming, though I have an easy time dodging Super 2's.

Boss Man

Yeah, I underlined the part where I mention that the colors should only happen for local players.

If you're playing a game at home with four people it won't be a whole lot less confusing than it is now, but that's a common penalty for playing a game like this with a bunch of people locally.

Online or against AI, however, I think these changes would be huge. Plus, it should be a rather easy thing to implement (even with only firing it off for local players).

Gorillaz

k_Reign / k_Reign / US
SmithnCo / smithnco / NA
Tribal24 / Tribal24 / NA
jtir123 / jtir123 / NA
Drago / PokeDrago / US
Jakfu / Jafku / US
Grokbu / Grokbu / Sweden
LuuKyK / LuuKyK / Brazil
PSY・S / SuP3RiViAIN / US
SykoTech / SykoTech / US
Gorillaz/EboyWasHere/US

So, word of advice, don't use XMB when the game is playing or loading, it freezes the system. Upon restart my PS3 wanted to check for corrupted file system but I declined.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah, this is true. I remember everyone initially having doubts about the system, but after playing it, it actually rocks.

That's why I didn't post a lot in Sony Battle Royale because I was afraid to get my hype tooo high that it would just collapse if I don't like the game on release date. Thankful for beta, I felt great about the game and I will spread the positive news about the game to most of my smash friends.

It's great game, and it's perfect game for many smash players to kill their time for awaiting for SSB4, but I think Battle Royale have the potential to give SSB series a ride. Sakurai beter watch out now. :p

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Might as well add me too

thepotatoman / thepotatoman / US

And I think for this beta sly is clearly the top of the tiers. Level 1 is a very easy 2 kill, level 2 is a very easy 3 kill, and level 3 is an easy 4 kill. Its hard for anyone to keep up with that.

Unfortunately I'm having a hard time seeing him work as well in 1v1 without a block button and when his supers can only get 1 kill for level 1/2 and 2 kills for level 3. Really the balancing between FFA and 1v1 seems impossible with how supers work. Like Sweet Tooth's level one isn't as good as some level ones since it can usually only get one player, but it is very very easy to get that one player.

We'll see how the 1v1 balance goes down. Worst comes to worst 2v2 can become the optimal competitive mode in this game.

Jonboy

Free for all with 4 players leaves too much to chance. I'm ready for stock 1v1 and 2v2 matches to separate the boys from the men :D

Jonboy

PSY・S;40379411 said:
I just placed 4th in a game with a 1st and two 2nds. Shouldn't I have been 3rd?
Nope. That's not how it works. 3 people ahead of you...you finish 4th. If you'd tied with them, you'd have three, 2nd place finishers.

Xater

Sorry CC have to post this here,some people are most likely still on and have a code.

Please post or PM me if you got a code so I can removed you.

1.ScraftyDevil
2.Silent_Ocarina
Takuya
4.cnizzle06
7. devilwillcry
8. Daniel_Gonzz
9. SykoTech
10. Donos_de
11. darkwing
12. #1 defender
13. Desmond
14. Acquiescence
15. Caffer
16. Cyberia
17. Dusky
18. SoulUnison
19. Chuck Norris
20. murderofMonkey
21. Ryce
22. FinKL
23,CerebralTiger
24. Pai Pai Master
25. Sid
26.GMN
27. nitrowolf2
28.Zen
29.WinFonda
30.mauaus
31.pharmboy044
32.Cyborg009
33.Byronic Hero
34.Angelcurio
35.batmandarkknight
36. Cisce
37. Kyon
38. PartTimeWarrior
39. maxte
40. YoungOne
31.Noi
42.Order
43.libregkd
44.Shadowlink
45.spindashing
36.elektrixx
47.KillGore
48.upJTboogie
49.sponge
50.-Cade
51.Out_Of_Ammo
52.Itchy//Tasty
53.Archon473
54.Firequake
55.Captain_Spanky
56.De-mon
57.xptoxyz
58.KalBalboa
59.Lexxon
60.mohsinkhan
61.jaxpunk
62.Hyuga
63.Equus Bellator Apex
64.Revven
65.paskowitz
66.FrenchMovieTheme
67.Spy
68.Dynamic3
69.RetroGamer42
70.Friedreich
71.Metalmurphy
72.Dug

Please post or PM me if you got a code so I can removed you.

Can I get on this list as well? I'd like to give this game a try.

J-Tier

Might as well add me too

And I think for this beta sly is clearly the top of the tiers. Level 1 is a very easy 2 kill, level 2 is a very easy 3 kill, and level 3 is an easy 4 kill. Its hard for anyone to keep up with that.

Unfortunately I'm having a hard time seeing him work as well in 1v1 without a block button and when his supers can only get 1 kill for level 1/2 and 2 kills for level 3. Really the balancing between FFA and 1v1 seems impossible with how supers work. Like Sweet Tooth's level one isn't as good as some level ones since it can usually only get one player, but it is very very easy to get that one player.

We'll see how the 1v1 balance goes down. Worst comes to worst 2v2 can become the optimal competitive mode in this game.

I was wondering who this jerk (xD) who kept on killing me last night was, the psn name was really familiar. It was you! Haha!

Yeah, I underlined the part where I mention that the colors should only happen for local players.

If you're playing a game at home with four people it won't be a whole lot less confusing than it is now, but that's a common penalty for playing a game like this with a bunch of people locally.

Online or against AI, however, I think these changes would be huge. Plus, it should be a rather easy thing to implement (even with only firing it off for local players).

I think a lot of the problem can be the camera effect too though, it's a shame because I dont always want the hazards to be off, but the camera gives it priority...which may be fair considering you dont want a hazard to catch u offguard.

But maybe they could have some sort of off-camera warning labeling where a threat is coming? Like, you know, when you play sports games and your off-camera, you have some icon pointing off-screen. So, if, the camera is zoomed in, but there is a threat behind you, like Patapon's attack, maybe you would see a blinking Hazard icon pointing behind you, so you would at least get an idea...

Not sure if that makes much sense, but in a 4 player FFA, the camera doesn't zoom in

solidus51

Banned
Parappa and sly are top. I also noticed that sweettooth can gain ap real fast from his molotovs. I like that sweet tooth has a really good close and mid range game

Might as well add me too

I think the best solution is to have complete customization over things. Locally, at least, this would work wonders, and for Gaf Game Nights too.

Imagine being able to tweak the AP gain of each character and stuff like that, it could help a lot to synchronize a character's balance to be fair for both FFA and 1v1

Ploid 3.0

Oh man it feels so good when you're winning and you know it even with pure chaos going on around you, but you are so smug and confident watching people tear each other up as you plot.

k_Reign / k_Reign / US
SmithnCo / smithnco / NA
Tribal24 / Tribal24 / NA
jtir123 / jtir123 / NA
Drago / PokeDrago / US
Jakfu / Jafku / US
Grokbu / Grokbu / Sweden
LuuKyK / LuuKyK / Brazil
PSY・S / SuP3RiViAIN / US
SykoTech / SykoTech / US
Gorillaz/EboyWasHere/US
Oyashiro-Sama/FFVIIguy/US

Added myself!

So Im noticing a pattern where the only players that taunt are the ones who play Sly lol

What do you guys think of making Taunts let you gain a small amount of AP?

J-Tier

So Im noticing a pattern where the only players that taunt are the ones who play Sly lol

I think that "ability" should be unique to some characters. Regardless, I don't wanna see taunt spamming if it does gain AP.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

No, I usually saw Kratos, Radec, Sweet Tooth and Fat Princess taunted often after kill three people in one hit.

I never saw sly taunt :(

I think that "ability" should be unique to some characters. Regardless, I don't wanna see taunt spamming if it does gain AP.

I figured it wouldn't be a problem since u cant break out of it and usually get your ass kicked for doing it.

On another note, I was 30 seconds into a game when Sly got his Super 1.Not sure if he was just really good, or the AP is building too fast for him.

I usually only taunt after I kill everyone(especially off of a Sweet Tooth level 1!) or right before the match ends. I don't think you should gain AP for taunting, though. =/

Endo Punk

So, word of advice, don't use XMB when the game is playing or loading, it freezes the system. Upon restart my PS3 wanted to check for corrupted file system but I declined.
That explains why I have been getting freezing problems, I constantly use XMB for the messages I get about the beta.

Can other people confirm this please? It's best to only use the XMB when you want to quit the game, then? In the meantime, I'll put it in the OP, can't hurt.

Oh man it feels so good when you're winning and you know it even with pure chaos going on around you, but you are so smug and confident watching people tear each other up as you plot.

Lol I find myself using that strategy too. Watch from the sidelines, attack occassionaly and go back to my comfort zone lolololol.

Endo Punk

Kratos and Parappa are my favourites and to my surprise I really like Fatty Princess. Not quite feeling Sweet Tooth and Sly though after a couple more matches I may get the hang of them and I have yet to play as a Radec. Love how different each character feels though a better job can definitely be done to distinguish each character colour and such in a 4 player battle, especially if there are many of the same characters. Also Kratos Blue skin has a weird face :

Top Bottom