• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
maiden-in-black.jpg

JUST LOOK AT HER, SHE IS READY TO FIGHT !!! PLSSS SONY PLSSSSS

She doesn't even look like she can move in that tight dress!

Though I agree, the Maiden in Black would be a great treat for Demon's Souls players. I doubt she would be playable, but a cameo in the background would be awesome!

Arukado

I don't think the model and what appears to be Yorda are related. In fact, maybe they're both concept art, and the guy is working on the left one (which i think is nariko with less hair :lol).

AndyD

aka andydumi
I gotta say this is much better than I expected. I was wrong when I guessed it would be Fat princess 3D but this looks great. The set interaction is way more than I expected.

Loudninja

Posting this again

Press Release:
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) today announced the release of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, available for PlayStation 3 (PS3). Developed by SuperBot Entertainment, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is the ultimate four-player brawler, influenced by some of the greatest PlayStation themes and characters of all time. Spanning the entire PlayStation universe, players will select and control the likes of iconic characters such as Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Parappa, Fat Princess, Colonel Radec, and Sly Cooper among others. Additionally, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale will include a line-up of special characters from some of the game industry’s top third party developers and publishers. With a host of playable characters, special attacks, themed stages, and mash up music, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale pits players in a deep fighting game that draws inspiration throughout the colorful PlayStation universe.

“PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale delivers a veritable encyclopedia of PlayStation’s rich gaming history,” said Guy Longworth, Senior Vice President of Marketing, SCEA. “This game is a celebration for fans of PlayStation and we are excited to deliver the most comprehensive brawler available.”

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale gives players access to a wide variety of PlayStation characters and ties in the excitement of a four player, full screen brawler. Players can fight in a variety of configurations, including versus matches for four, team battles, special practice modes, and team up with friends to take on players online. Online battles will deliver a new set of challenges, including Tournament mode, Special Event Battle, and Custom Matches. In Tournament, players are matched online to gain experience and special awards. Special Event Battles allow SuperBot to set match parameters daily, and players earn experience points towards an overall leaderboard based on performance. Players can also arrange customized matches with their own rules.

Environments and music are drawn from the rich and varied history of PlayStation titles, then thrown together in unique mash ups that showcase each property in a new setting. The mash up elements will introduce a secondary IP to an existing theme, allowing situations where characters and environments from completely different PlayStation IP can interact during a match. The in-game music, composed by John King of the Dust Brothers, will also stay true to the mash up theme by incorporating a mix of various IP soundtracks throughout.

In addition to a rich and deep online multiplayer experience, players can engage in several single player modes including Combat Trials and Arcade mode. In Combat Trials, players not only learn the basics of the game but perfect their skills through hundreds of unique challenges. Additionally players can play through a fixed level progression with prizes in Arcade mode.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale has not yet been rated. For more information about the title, please visit www.playstationallstarsbattleroyale.com.
http://www.gaming-age.com/2012/04/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-bringing-the-pain-to-the-ps3/

lordy88

Anyone else super bummed at the lack of hitpoints/method of eliminating players? While understand there is still an importance in kicking the living crap out of everyone else to build up meter, I feel that it also removes the idea of striking at the right time for the right effect.

I don't know. It just seems kind of...meh, to me.

Tookay

I think it does, if not even more, as Infamous 1 is my favorite game this generation, and the God of War series is iconic in my mind.

Not only that, but it's far more interesting of a fight. Both Kratos and Cole have far more interesting and varied powers and moves than just using a sword like Link, and they don't have to make up moves for any of them like they do for Peach.

Okay... you've never played a Zelda or a Smash Bros game then.

Its hilarious because you mention only mario who is of course a gaming icon but you forget the part where a good chunk of Smash Bros games' rosters are filled with non iconic, not well-known,B-Tier characters.

not to say you are unaware of this, but Smash's first game had Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, and Pikachu.

None of these characters should be considered not-well known or B-Tier (I'll give you Kirby, but just barely)

GQman2121

Banned
I think the main appeal of Smash Bros were Nintendo's top tier franchises, i.e. Zelda, Pokemon, and Mario. I doubt it would've been any popular if it had featured only the Ice Climbers or so. Who would've bought it apart from those "in the know"? It might still have been a nice game, but I have huge doubts that it would've been much of a commercial success.

Who is saying that anyone on Sony's roster is as popular as Mario? Why does that matter? Other than being in the similar vein of SSB's, what does Nintendo have to do with this new game?

Anyone else super bummed at the lack of hitpoints/method of eliminating players? While understand there is still an importance in kicking the living crap out of everyone else to build up meter, I feel that it also removes the idea of striking at the right time for the right effect.

I don't know. It just seems kind of...meh, to me.
same here

CrisKre

so the developer is not allowed to play a Wii while he works on a game at SONY?

Pathetic Nintendo Fanboys.. crying ... there are more @ IGN..

poor saps. Its like their dreams have been shattered.

They are copying smash brothers. Thats what that wii is for. Also, relax.

Kyon

Banned
I think the main appeal of Smash Bros were Nintendo's top tier franchises, i.e. Zelda, Pokemon, and Mario. I doubt it would've been any popular if it had featured only the Ice Climbers or so. Who would've bought it apart from those "in the know"? It might still have been a nice game, but I have huge doubts that it would've been much of a commercial success.

Smash is like 3 games ahead though so of course it wont have the same success. I dont expect it either, i just cant wait for this :D sales dont matter to me

Salsa

I should clarify: i dont see what's the big deal about it. To me it looks fucking terrible but if you like it that's more than fine, i can totally see where you're coming from.

That said, to state that this isnt just Smash Brosh with a Sony coat of paint and some new modes is just silly, this is the Move controller all over again.

Is the Move controller great for some people? you bet, i had real fun playing with it in some games (specially joust), does that make it not a shameless rippoff? nope

The Uncharted series as of now has sold 17 million copies. The God of War games remain one of the biggest selling in the hack 'n' slash genre. LittleBigPlanet is immensely popular. And then you have other characters from million+ selling franchises such as Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Killzone and inFamous. No, none of these characters are as iconic as Mario, and none of them sell as well as Pokemon, but they don't have to. You group them all together and they easily justify the creation of a fan service game like Battle Royale.

prwxv3

I should clarify: i dont see what's the big deal about it. To me it looks fucking terrible but if you like it that's more than fine, i can totally see where you're coming from.

That said, to state that this isnt just Smash Brosh with a Sony coat of paint and some new modes is just silly, this is the Move controller all over again.

Those are not even comparable. You should read/watch some previews of the game.

Globox_82

Banned
not to say you are unaware of this, but Smash's first game had Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, and Pikachu.

None of these characters should be considered not-well known or B-Tier (I'll give you Kirby, but just barely)

Mario, Link and Pikachu are big, I'll agree on that. However, Samus? Lol Metroid games usually sell okey. Last one sold like crap.
It's just because you like those characters that you think they are HUGE. Well it's same with us PS fans. Something like Parappa reminds us of PS1 days, you know that console that sold 105+ million units.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
As a Nintendo fan since the 80's, Smash Bros was like the realization of, literally, every one of my childhood arguments with friends over Nintendo franchises and characters.

As a PlayStation fan since the PS1 released when I was in high school, this game is like the realization of every one of my young adult (and even adult) arguments with friends over PlayStation franchises and characters.

Is it REALLY that hard for some of you people to wrap your heads around the idea that PlayStation fans have quite the affinity for PS franchises and characters, much like Nintendo fans have quite the affinity for Nintendo franchises and characters?

I mean, FUCK, people.

I'm a huge PlayStation fan. I LOVE Smash Bros. I've been wanting a PlayStation take on Smash Bros so bad that I actually started early development on a 2D, flash based iteration, using handdrawn characters.

This game looks AWESOME, and the more I read about it, the more I see it's not a complete, 1:1 clone of Smash Bros, but it certainly occupies the same genre, of which there are MANY OTHER GAMES that do the crossover fighter route. It really does seem to me that the still trendy "Oh, Sony" mentality is shitting up an announcement that, literally, tons of diehard PlayStation fans have been waiting for.

I guess people take issue with the fact that not everybody is madly in love with Nintendo and their franchise. Please. Most of us have been playing NES games since before some of you were itches in your parent's pants.

This isn't about console wars. It's about fans of series coming together and beating the shit out of each other.

I'll continue to love SSB. I'm hoping PBR will be just as fun, and it's looking like it will be.

KingK

Neither Samus or Fox are any more well known than Kratos or Nathan Drake, and Kirby was probably less well known than any of them before Smash made him famous.

Really, the Mario characters, DK, Pokemon, and Link are the only ones Nintendo has that have a significantly larger brand awareness than Sony's most famous characters.

Shiggy

Who is saying that anyone on Sony's roster is as popular as Mario? Why does that matter? Other than being in the similar vein of SSB's, what does Nintendo have to do with this new game?

I was talking about the roster compared to a very similar title. Drawing comparisons to SSB is pretty obvious when talking about the potential commercial success or appeal?
Or do you want to tell me that no-one is allowed to compare this game to a title that is similar to it? Has it come this far? We are not in North Korea, boy.

Salsa

Those are not even comparable. You should read/watch some previews of the game.

people need to stop saying this to me and mention where does it say that the gameplay is fundamentally different or exciting in any way if you've already played a bunch of SSB.

show me how this game is interesting and different enough beyond the Sony characters

ShadowOS

Banned
so the developer is not allowed to play a Wii while he works on a game at SONY?

Pathetic Nintendo Fanboys.. crying ... there are more @ IGN..

poor saps. Its like their dreams have been shattered.
i agree the thought of sony straight ripping smash bros code from a wii is quite ridiculous...

but i'd like to hear the sony wagon's thoughts on "sony doesn't copy nintendo" now

i mean.. sony smash bros? :p

Shiggy

The Uncharted series as of now has sold 17 million copies. The God of War games remain one of the biggest selling in the hack 'n' slash genre. LittleBigPlanet is immensely popular. And then you have other characters from million+ selling franchises such as Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Killzone and inFamous. No, none of these characters are as iconic as Mario, and none of them sell as well as Pokemon, but they don't have to. You group them all together and they easily justify the creation of a fan service game like Battle Royale.

I did not deny this.

DOA

will sony put nintendo in the ending credits?

so first sony copied the wiimote, now it's copying games? the funny thing is that when i've talked with friends about the wiimote and SSBB, they are looking at it like i'm such a non gamer, but when sony released the "move" and now with the PASBR, they are like "Where does Sony come up with those wonderfull things?"

Salsa

and before im called a Nintendo fanboy i guess (kinda see it coming)

i fucking love parappa, the first two god of wars, sly and fat princess.

this just looks really unappealing to me as something ive been playing for years but with different characters, i just became immediatly bored at how uninspired it looks :/

evolution

and before im called a Nintendo fanboy i guess (kinda see it coming)

i fucking love parappa, the first two god of wars, sly and fat princess.

this just looks really unappealing to me as something ive been playing for years but with different characters, i just became immediatly bored at how uninspired it looks :/
Thats why im buying this, because it has characters that would never appear in a Smash game.

cyborg009

Banned
Here's a better shot of the mysterious character model:

FuH7P.png

It looks like a cartoony fat guy with a beard or something.

seems like something from Jak and daxter

people need to stop saying this to me and mention where does it say that the gameplay is fundamentally different or exciting in any way if you've already played a bunch of SSB.

show me how this game is interesting and different enough beyond the Sony characters

its only been a few hours since reveal it obviously a clone just wait for further details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom