• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

That said, to state that this isnt just Smash Brosh with a Sony coat of paint and some new modes is just silly, this is the Move controller all over again.

Is the Move controller great for some people? you bet, i had real fun playing with it in some games (specially joust), does that make it not a shameless rippoff? nope

So the game doesn't look remotely solid to you? Not whatsoever? No redeeming qualities? And I've said this before, but nobody is saying this isn't like SSB. We know that. That's why a lot of us are excited about it. I've been wanting to have another quality game like SSB for a while now.

It seems like there's a start difference between the people that have similar opinion to you and the ones like me. We are excited to have another SSB-style game that's actually looking to be quality, and you are upset that there's another game that's so similar.

And why would you be upset that it's so similar? Does that alone make it "terrible?"

GQman2121

Banned
I was talking about the roster compared to a very similar title. Drawing comparisons to SSB is pretty obvious when talking about the potential commercial success or appeal?
Or do you want to tell me that no-one is allowed to compare this game to a title that is similar to it? Has it come this far? We are not in North Korea, boy.

Oh, so you're worried about how successful the game will be on a potential commercial level. I see. I didn't realize this about sales-age. That makes sense then. Carry on with your crusade.......

How do you know I'm not in North Korea? :(

Globox_82

Banned
and before im called a Nintendo fanboy i guess (kinda see it coming)

i fucking love parappa, the first two god of wars, sly and fat princess.

this just looks really unappealing to me as something ive been playing for years but with different characters, i just became immediatly bored at how uninspired it looks :/

then why are you here? Why waste your life letting us know that you are bored?
While you are at it, why not tell us what else bores you. Who knows, someone might be able to help you.

Shiggy

this just looks really unappealing to me as something ive been playing for years but with different characters, i just became immediatly bored at how uninspired it looks :/

You are an awful Nintendo fanboy, one of the very worst. (just had to do this because you asked for this)

Doing another comparison between Smash Bros and this title, I really hope they'll make the stage design much more interesting. While Melee had some nice stages, the ones in Brawl were all pretty much the same and became boring quickly.

Schrödinger's cat;37353289 said:
1432nd post nailed it.

The kids won't stop crying, no matter how much sensibility is dropped in front of them. The tears are so delicious. I can't wait to play Brawl some more and this game.

Loudninja

I cant believe this game is a rock solid 60FPS with all the things going on the screen.

In action, the combat has a “thuddy” quality to it, in that hits linger for a second before they send the person you hit soaring gracefully through the air, and there’s an ever-so-slight delay after each attack, which keeps you from just stringing together endless combos without having to take a breath. While the combat definitely felt on point, the action became a bit cluttered at times, due to having so many characters, items, AP balls, droppable items (mines, sticky grenades, etc.), and such flying around the screen (impeccably animated and stutter-free I might add) at the same time.
http://www.g4tv.com/games/ps3/66057...battle-royale-hands-on-preview-smashy-smashy/

i agree the thought of sony straight ripping smash bros code from a wii is quite ridiculous...

but i'd like to hear the sony wagon's thoughts on "sony doesn't copy nintendo" now

i mean.. sony smash bros? :p

Oh it's a rip-off alright. I just don't think the "sony wagon" really gives a shit all that much. They're just happy to get a similar game to SSB with all their favourite Playstation characters.

KingK

people need to stop saying this to me and mention where does it say that the gameplay is fundamentally different or exciting in any way if you've already played a bunch of SSB.

show me how this game is interesting and different enough beyond the Sony characters

Dude, the entire way you score points and the dynamics of the gameplay is completely different from Smash.

I don't think anybody is denying that this wouldn't exist as it is without Smash. It looks a hell of a lot like it, but every. single. preview. has said that it does enough to differentiate itself, and that you can't just go into it and try to play it like Smash.

And some of us are actually glad that it looks a hell of a lot like Smash. Melee is one of my favorite games of all time. I grew up on Nintendo and Playstation and I've been itching for a Playstation Smash Bros. for the better part of 10 years now.

kuroshiki

Wow, guys chill.

If the gameplay is nice and fun, then that's all that matters at the end.

Those who cry foul play (nintendo fanboys), virtually every command input fighting game are copy of Street Fighter. So STFU.

Hoo-doo

Banned

We get it. Thanks.
No need to keep repeating yourself in here.

ShadowOS

Banned
Neither Samus or Fox are any more well known than Kratos or Nathan Drake, and Kirby was probably less well known than any of them before Smash made him famous.

Really, the Mario characters, DK, Pokemon, and Link are the only ones Nintendo has that have a significantly larger brand awareness than Sony's most famous characters.

uh, i don't know when you grew up but everyone and their dog in my neighborhood knew who kirby was before smash bros came out. kirby was a very popular nintendo character and he's not really a character i'd list as "B" tier. everyone also knew who fox mccloud was since you know... star fox snes and SF64, one of the earliest games released. samus was also well know.

come to think of it, the only two that could be considered obscure at the time were 1) C.Falcon, and that's a stretch to call him obscure, and 2) Ness, which is fair to call him relatively obscure

so what i guess im trying to say, and don't take this the wrong way, but you're dumb

Globox_82

Banned
uh, i don't know when you grew up but everyone and their dog in my neighborhood knew who kirby was before smash bros came out. kirby was a very popular nintendo character and he's not really a character i'd list as "B" tier. everyone also knew who fox mccloud was since you know... star fox snes and SF64, one of the earliest games released. samus was also well know.

come to think of it, the only two that could be considered obscure at the time were 1) C.Falcon, and that's a stretch to call him obscure, and 2) Ness, which is fair to call him relatively obscure

so what i guess im trying to say, and don't take this the wrong way, but you're dumb

Hes not dumb. What you described above is how you see it. He described it how he sees it. The same way Nintendo fanboys try to make PS characters less relevant. Well in your eyes they are, not in ours. Not that hard to understand really.

i agree the thought of sony straight ripping smash bros code from a wii is quite ridiculous...

but i'd like to hear the sony wagon's thoughts on "sony doesn't copy nintendo" now

Sony has made enough stuff for playstation consoles that nintendo still hasn't replicated from their side or were late to the party. I think they can copy some ideas from nintendo once in a while.

I mean, did people really feel the ps1 was just a n64 copy? The ps2 and ps3 were copies of the gc and wii?

I don't think you're a Nintendo fanboy. People can't just not like things?

Shiggy

Sure seems like you did.

That is your interpretation. There's a real difference between saying that Sony licenses do not justify such a battle game and saying that Sony's franchises are less known than Nintendo's, which they certainly are. Again, I mentioned examples and you will surely not deny that Uncharted is better known than Pokemon. You'll probably find only few people in the non-gaming area that know Uncharted, but a lot that know Pokemon.

Oh, so you're worried about how successful the game will be on a potential commercial level. I see. I didn't realize this about sales-age. That makes sense then. Carry on with your crusade.......

How do you know I'm not in North Korea? :(

Because they don't have internet apart from the top people, and you surely cannot be one of the top people there.
I did not worry about the potential commercial success, it was just an obvious comparison. If you cannot cope with it, keep on whining. I will not be sad about that, I much rather hope for a great and more enjoyable game that served as inspiration for All Stars Battle Royale, and, as I already said, that cannot be too hard when taking a look at the boring mess SSBB's single-player was.

Salsa

its only been a few hours since reveal it obviously a clone just wait for further details

agreed on this, just trying to see what people mean by "read the previews!" all the time

And why would you be upset that it's so similar? Does that alone make it "terrible?"

I guess it immediatly makes me think of all the other SSB clones and how bad they were at it.

SSB isnt a golden idea, its the core gameplay that makes it so much fun. The momentum, the movement, the pace, this is all really hard to imitate and judging by the footage ive seen they are way off. It looks terrible to me in the sense that it looks really uninspired where i think this could really work in a different way. Just tackle it in a whole other angle instead of just making SSB.

While you are at it, why not tell us what else bores you. Who knows, someone might be able to help you.

this is the worst fanboy-type of response on these forums, man.

It is a discussion forum after all, isnt it? are we supposed to just state what makes us excited about a game? that would be really fucking boring. Im trying to find the appeal here and to discuss with the people who are genuinely excited about it. If you're gonna take offense by every post demeaning the game as if it was your baby then that's your issue :/

You are an awful Nintendo fanboy, one of the very worst. (just had to do this because you asked for this)

lies!

I don't think you're a Nintendo fanboy. People can't just not like things?

pretty much man

Dude, the entire way you score points and the dynamics of the gameplay is completely different from Smash.

I don't think anybody is denying that this wouldn't exist as it is without Smash. It looks a hell of a lot like it, but every. single. preview. has said that it does enough to differentiate itself, and that you can't just go into it and try to play it like Smash.

And some of us are actually glad that it looks a hell of a lot like Smash. Melee is one of my favorite games of all time. I grew up on Nintendo and Playstation and I've been itching for a Playstation Smash Bros. for the better part of 10 years now.

I know! and that's cool. My "rambling" came about from asking what makes this substantially different from SSB, being told to watch previews, doing so and finding nothing.

Also, it would be stupid for me to post all of these with no real interest. I really wanted to know what Sony was cooking behind this and im just disappointed.

That's what forums are for. I don't see him doing much wrong here.

It's much too heated in here, but I predicted it.

"We're pretty certain that if you looked at a Nintendo game hard enough, you'd find something that was clearly "inspired" by something else. That's the way the video game industry works. Sure, Nintendo fans should crow that they had it first, but why would you want to deny the magic of SSB style gameplay? If anything, the attitude should be, "You guys are in for some good times!" When did gaming become such a war? Remember when games was just about having fun???"

I like what IGN said on a video about this.

kuroshiki

Uh.

No. I didn't know who the heck samus was until I played metroid prime. Kirby, I didn't know it was nintendo character until I saw it on smash brothers.

It's not a good idea to use anecdote evidence to call another member dumb.

Tookay

Pathetic Nintendo Fanboys.. crying ... there are more @ IGN..

poor saps. Its like their dreams have been shattered.

ROFL..... PHAIL...

Maybe you're mistaking this site for GameFAQs.

I'm confused. Is this a discussion thread or a circlejerk one? Can people express only positive opinions or are criticisms allowed?

MoeB

I'm making a list of users who are nintendo fanboys. Once completed, I'll be making a greasemonkey script that'll highlight their names on the forum. It'll be useful in the years to come.

Globox_82

Banned
SSM is officially where you go to for help now.

Its crazy they still manage to work on 2 games while helping others.

Shuhei Yoshida ‏ @yosp

Journey, Escape Plans, Sorcery, Starhawk, Datura, Sound Shapes, PlayStation Allstars BR, God of War: Ascension, all from Sony Santa Monica!

Shuhei Yoshida ‏ @yosp

... and Twisted Metal, of course. What a year for them...

nbnt ‏ @nbnt

@yosp give credit where credit is due; Journey=thatgamecompany, EP=Fun Bits, Sorcery=The Workshop, SS=Queasy Games, #AllStars=SuperBot

Shuhei Yoshida ‏ @yosp

@nbnt Good point, but it's always a collaborative effort.

Jesus christ. Every company on the planet will copy every other company out there to some degree.

"OH LOOK THEY MADE MONEY DOING THAT, LET'S DO IT TOO".

You berate Sony fanboys and want to know their opinion now, try something, ignore them. Ignore the ones that are senseless and can't string together an argument.

libregkd

You know what? I don't even care if the game is any good or not. The reactions to this game's reveal alone justifies its existence.

Will probably pick it up day one however, I have always preferred Sony's franchises and seeing a mash-up like this is like a dream come true.

The salt is amazing. This sort of SSB mimic is long overdue tbh- should have been out last gen. The OG SSB is my most played local MP game to this day (and still is because of the crazy tourneys i have with buddies). Like others have stated, Im both skeptical/excited on the dynamics they actually changed opposing SSB. The SSB games have a great sense of urgency. Anyways i hope they have more at E3 where i can hopefully demo.

Also, The potential meltdowns for the Xbox Heroes Cage Match is unfolding before my eyes. :D

Tookay

So devs can't play other consoles? smh

Not that this was directed at me nor does the fact that they have a Wii offen me in the slightest, but the "they can't have a Wii in their office?!" defense is playing it deliberately dumb. It's pretty obvious what it's there for, considering the context.

If the Nintendo 64 was the first home console you owned then SSB was probably the first exposure you would have had to a lot of those characters. But the whole concept of the game was brilliant for Nintendo because it created a fanbase for stuff like Metroid Prime once the Gamecube rolled around.

cednym

Banned
Ah, the black hair I thought was actually a vest. Looks more female to me though.

I think you're right; the camera pans down and it looks like the character is wearing a long dress.

On a similar note, does anyone recognize this game?

hKctb.png

It's displayed on a monitor right next to the unknown purple dress character.

Globox_82

Banned
He's here to express his opinion, just like the rest of us.

Boredom is a feeling. Not sure I need to know that. It's like if he was telling me he was horny.

More like trolling. WHere is Halo 4 thread, I want to tell everyone in there that Halo makes me bored and sick to my stomach.For no reason really, just cuz

I can't wait for the betraylton thread when Snake is announced for this.

AS much as I want snake in it if anyone from metal gear is in it I think they will probably go with Ninja Raiden.

I think you're right; the camera pans down and it looks like the character is wearing a long dress.

On a similar note, does anyone recognize this game?

hKctb.png

It's displayed on a monitor right next to the unknown purple dress character.

Thats Fat Princess.

The salt is amazing. This sort of SSB mimic is long overdue tbh- should have been out last gen. The OG SSB is my most played local MP game to this day (and still is because of the crazy tourneys i have with buddies). Like others have stated, Im both skeptical/excited on the dynamics they actually changed opposing SSB. The SSB games have a great sense of urgency. Anyways i hope they have more at E3 where i can hopefully demo.

Also, The potential meltdowns for the Xbox Heroes Cage Match is unfolding before my eyes. :D

I've been dreaming about this for many years. I always imagined the title being something like "BattleStation" to play off of PlayStation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom