• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale gone gold ; final boss revealed

Really shame that Spyro,Crash, Cloud and Sephiroth are missing =(. I somewhat understand that Crash and Spyro are not in this because of Activision (would help marketing and sales a lot though) but where the hell are Cloud and Sephiroth? Hell Sony even owns something like 20% of S-E so it shouldn't be impossible to get those two iconic characters for the game. wtf

LuuKyK

Really shame that Spyro,Crash, Cloud and Sephiroth are missing =(. I somewhat understand that Crash and Spyro are not in this because of Activision (would help marketing and sales a lot though) but where the hell are Cloud and Sephiroth? Hell Sony even owns something like 20% of S-E so it shouldn't be impossible to get those two iconic characters for the game. wtf

Yes, it should. Being a shareholder means nothing, or at least not that much. As a lot of people have already stated, just for Little Big Planet to get those FF VII costumes it took like, a century. Also Square has its own mascot fighter (Dissidia) and maybe they are saving the characters for a new entry, or for them to be exclusive to that game. It makes a lot of sense, people just refuse to see it. Sony would have to give lots of money and give a very convincible explanation of why adding a character would be good for SE.

Takao

Banned

how many years did it take for final fantasy vii costumes to get in lbp again

I think the biggest reason is that this is unproven game from a brand new studio. SE doesn't really have anything to gain from such a gamble if Sony doesn't shower them with money wich they in turn can't do since, again, unproven game from a brand new studio. Budget must be reasonable. Even if they went the Capcom route of marketing purposes and gave Lightning her next game is still far off.

If this game is a success the DLC possibilities (or later on a sequel) open up since Sony can get characters without paying too much from the budget and SE (or any other studio) gets easy money. Only future will tell how it goes.

Mr. Fix

I think the biggest reason is that this is unproven game from a brand new studio. SE doesn't really have anything to gain from such a gamble if Sony doesn't shower them with money wich they in turn can't do since, again, unproven game from a brand new studio. Even if they went the Capcom route of marketing purposes and gave Lightning her next game is still far off.

If this game is a success the DLC possibilities open up since Sony can get characters without paying too much from the budget and SE (or any other studio) gets easy money. Only future will tell how it goes.

I'm thinking it's more in line with something like this:

how a company would work.
If company A creates a product but relies on company B to sell it; company B will ask how much they add to the sales, does company A need them? If they do, then without company B they won't profit - hence company B will expect most of the added value from the extra sales they create (the idea is, that together they'd maybe sell more of a product than acting alone, the profits coming from that 'added value together')

In the example of All Stars, if lets say Snake were in it, hes a big front cover brand - Konami have to ask, "how much is Snake worth to Sony?"; thus they'll think Sony don't have enough brands to sell All Stars themselves. Konami believe they can get a greater share of the profits if they included Snake, however - Sony wouldn't have created the game without wanting to profit, so in the end they'll still want the majority.

Its not too complex, just very complex to explain :p
Basically you wouldn't sell your house for below the value (even if the money allowed you to buy another house) so instead you'll wait for another offer.

'ish...don't know if any of the above is clearer :D
Companies know the value of their product, if it adds value to someone else, then the company will refuse to offer that product without proper payment for the value. Basically.

Sucks that most 3rd parties overshadow most 1st ones.

Raonak

Banned
definetly dissapointing that snake, or cannon dante aren't in since MGS and DMC are my favourite series.
great Intro tho. getting hyped!

I'm thinking it's more in line with something like this:

Sucks that most 3rd parties overshadow most 1st ones.

But that is basically what my post boils down to is it not? If the game is a success company X can sell their character as DLC and they gain most of the profits from their characters value without having to take the day1 gamble. Sony in turn gets the character.

Mr. Fix

definetly dissapointing that snake, or cannon dante aren't in since MGS and DMC are my favourite series.
great Intro tho. getting hyped!

I still think it's possible to have some of the missed opportunities in as DLC, depending on how much of the dlc profits they're willing to give for those characters.

But that is basically what my post boils down to is it not? If the game is a success company X can sell their character as DLC and they gain most of the profits from their characters value without having to take the day1 gamble. Sony in turn gets the character.

Assuming Sony's got the heart to even spare most of the DLC profits.

So seeing as how the Beta had REALLY SIMILAR menu music, and they've been using the song for promotion for quite a while now, is it likely that Madeon's Finale will be the menu music or similar in the final game?

I still think it's possible to have some of the missed opportunities in as DLC, depending on how much of the dlc profits they're willing to give for those characters.

If Sony can get a Character like Crash or Cloud I'm willing to bet they won't take much anything.

Assuming Sony's got the heart to even spare most of the DLC profits.

I do very much assume so.

KalBalboa

Banned
The DLC for this game is doomed to controversy no matter what occurs with it.

If somehow the planets aligned and Old Snake, Crash, and Cloud were put up for $10 altogether, people would hit the roof that they weren't included with the original release. If we only get Ryu, Conner, and Scorpion for $5 each, people get angry that the previous characters never made it.

I'm one of those guys who'll likely buy whatever hits as long as I've got some tie to the character. I'm expecting characters to be $4.99 each or maybe $7.99 with a stage.

prwxv3

This is from Edge

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=44130841

"“I remember walking onto the E3 booth in 1995 with Ken and seeing the Polygon Man design on the side of the booth. Ken just went absolutely insane,” says Harrison. Kutaragi was upset that SCEA was spending its limited budget on an alternative brand. “But the thing that really upset Ken was that the Polygon Man design wasn’t Gouraud shaded, it was flat shaded! So Polygon Man was taken out into the car park and quietly shot.”

lol

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yes! Best boss choice for this game!

Would be awesome if the final stage was something like MGS4's final battle. First you start off in the PS1 start screen and you get the PS chime going on. Then the PS2 and finally PS3's XMB is the final stage where polygon man controls the XMB and is tearing down the icons, the whole place starts to crack. Polygon man is trying to turn the console of and you have to fight him to stop him. Accidentally go into display and audio settings and audio goes off and picture changes resolution. only momentarily of course. Man there is so much stuff they could have. Break the 4th wall kojima style.

Now I'm going to be disappointed with the final battle. Dammit.

moozoom

I suppose it's a nice geeky addition for some US fans, but I'm french and I've never seen or heard anything about this character...

That was a fantastic intro. I love the music as well and I'm glad they went with that song. It fits very well.

Seeing Polygon Man was an awesome moment. Certainly went to the depths of PlayStation for that one.

I'm pumped for this now.

Jesus...... I'm stunned!
Amazing intro, amazing music, Sweet Tooth & Kratos at the end of the trailer + POLYGON MAN as the final boss.... DAMN!

I will play the hell out of this game!!
DAY 0!

Speaking of DLC...

+ Berae on November 8th, 2012 at 8:21 am said:
The openic cinematic is great! The thing Im disappointed tho like a lot of people is the number of characters. I was still hoping for more. I know there will be DLCs but that sucks.

+ Seth Killian on November 8th, 2012 at 11:15 am said:
Stay tuned I think we may have some happy news in the near future…
Fingers crossed for free 1st party characters ;).

Not gonna lie, I wasn't really interested in this before, but seeing a Sackboy trip a Big Daddy with a banana made me chuckle and now I kind of want it.

Seeing Nariko vs Dante made me a little sad though :(

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

So, basically costumes, alt costumes, rivalries, minions, etc. That's good to know.

Possibly even stages?

Honestly, I'd spend $9.99-$14.99 for each DLC Pack if they included 2 characters, their stage mash up, and the other stuff.

I was already super pumped for this title, but this intro really pushes it into overdrive. I've watched it twice, and it just brought the biggest smile to my face. I know this feeling. I felt it when I first got my hands on Super Smash Bros, and the Nintendo fanboy in me geeked out over the Nintendo-ness of it all. As a PlayStation fanboy, this game, and that trailer, oozes PlayStation to me. I liked the backdrop, because the XMB is pretty distinct. I'd have loved a stage that takes place in the XMB, as described above, complete with dynamic themes that interact with the players as they fight, as well as the XMB icons.

What would make that stage even more dynamic, would be if it was based off of your own XMB and themes you have downloaded to the PS3 you are playing the game on.

KalBalboa

Banned
So, basically costumes, alt costumes, rivalries, minions, etc. That's good to know.

Possibly even stages?

Honestly, I'd spend $9.99-$14.99 for each DLC Pack if they included 2 characters, their stage mash up, and the other stuff.

Depending on the characters involved, that sounds about right. $7.99-$12.99 is my estimation.

I can count the amount of times on one hand I've paid for DLC (CoD 4, L.A. Noire, Gravity Rush, errrrr), but I'd be willing to pay stupid sums of cash to play as Kat in this. That's all I really hope for above all in the first DLC pack to be honest; anything else is a bonus right now. Well okay, slight exaggeration. Cloud, Crash and Robbit would be considered more than a "bonus."

The only way a white glove will be iconic is if it has a black arm attached to it.

I'm slow, this is a reference to Mickey Mouse right?

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm slow, this is a reference to Mickey Mouse right?

I assumed that or this

michael_jackson1.jpg

Loona

PSY・S;44128052 said:

"Out of my way boy - I already met the real Dante in Project X Zone!"

I hope there's a special intro between Toro and Polygon Man - failed US PS1 mascot vs. successful japanese mastoc of the entire PS line... if there's no intro, I hope there's at least a character-specific ending that delivers.
But clearly Toro needs to be the final boss if PM ends up being playable in single-player mode.

Is there some archive of the Polygon Man ads?...

It's fun but still a bit weird to see Sir Daniel kneeling before Fat Princess, considering he's the older character and a menu in at least one of her games plays "I like big butts and I cannot lie" - I guess I'm spoiled by the character interactions in Namco X Capcom, where character from older or harder games got treated as almost mythical figures.

KevinCow

Banned
It's fun but still a bit weird to see Sir Daniel kneeling before Fat Princess, considering he's the older character and a menu in at least one of her games plays "I like big butts and I cannot lie" - I guess I'm spoiled by the character interactions in Namco X Capcom, where character from older or harder games got treated as almost mythical figures.

She's still a princess, and he's still a knight.

Also I did not know the bolded. You may have just sold me on Fat Princess.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Is there some archive of the Polygon Man ads?...

Yeah anyone have a link to one of these commercials or something else he appeared in? I played only Sega and Nintendo games until a couple years into the PS1's life and I've honestly only seen images of him on game forums. When you search YouTube it's basically just people talking about him being in PS All Stars.

SykoTech

Take a day off of GAF on campus and this pops up. Of course. Pretty cool trailer/intro.

Evil Cole vs Fat Princess though? Lol.

Top Bottom