• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Against two Sackboys with ridiculous AP gain.

I'm saying that now that Sackboy is patched, maybe they'll have to employ the same tactics that people have had to use to beat them.

They can just do the same thing. The moves properties didnt change, just the ap gains and wow a whole 5 ap nerf on the cake, good sack boys will throw your ass up into a super anyways and get kills faster that way

Ratchet sniper shot is the best range attack in the game because the only thing you can do vs it is block air dodge or rolling gets you shot. The problem that happened here was it was two melee based characters, At best you could of done some fire axes to assist the raiden with but over all that match up combo is meh.

Two melee isn't that great same for two range. *I banned frank from using redac when Im playing as Im always using ratchet lol that one game... was not pretty*

The reason rolling isn't that great in this game as something to just do is the fact that you are free to hits for a long ass time at the end of a roll. rolls should be used as a dodging tool or escape tool ONLY not a space closing tool.

Man that Fat Princess in that game was in-fuckin-sane and Columbia is terrible stage for Radec anyway! Cut me some slack :d. He honestly was one of the best players I have encountered and FP vs Radec in a small space is not pretty!

OmegaZero

Ratchet sniper shot is the best range attack in the game because the only thing you can do vs it is block air dodge or rolling gets you shot. The problem that happened here was it was two melee based characters, At best you could of done some fire axes to assist the raiden with but over all that match up combo is meh

Yeah, I eventually resorted to standing on a nearby platform and shooting them until they moved, then canceled to Angel dash and got some hits in. :b

We were sort of successful when both of us rushed them, but that was mainly because Raiden took out the pads by accident then acted as a temporary shield from their projectiles, giving me an opening to kill both at once with a short combo.

SmithnCo

They can just do the same thing. The moves properties didnt change, just the ap gains and wow a whole 5 ap nerf on the cake, good sack boys will throw your ass up into a super anyways and get kills faster that way

A 5 ap nerf on the cake and an overall nerf on the super gains, so they can't just spam till the cows come home and people have a chance to throw them at least. Maybe now people will have a chance to get wise and go after him in FFA before he gets to level 3 in under a minute.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
A 5 ap nerf on the cake and an overall nerf on the super gains, so they can't just spam till the cows come home and people have a chance to throw them at least. Maybe now people will have a chance to get wise and go after him in FFA before he gets to level 3 in under a minute.

In under a minute? Im sorry I have never seen that happen once and I have a fuck ton of games played. I seen kratos gain meter faster than sack in ffa. Your hyperbole salt is pretty lame. sack players dont have to change a single thing it just takes 30 seconds longer to gain meter. If you couldn't hit them before that's not gonna change now.

SmithnCo

In under a minute? Im sorry I have never seen that happen once and I have a fuck ton of games played. I seen kratos gain meter faster than sack in ffa

I have done it myself and seen it happen. I was a tad tired of trying to compensate for other player's failure to counter Sackboy that I was pretty much forced to play as him or one of his counters in FFA. Not really fun when there are a lot of other characters that I think are more interesting. Playing as Sackboy and doing mostly the same moves over and over from a safe distance was not fun. I'll be glad when they patch random 1v1 in.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I have done it myself and seen it happen. I was a tad tired of trying to compensate for other player's failure to counter Sackboy that I was pretty much forced to play as him or one of his counters in FFA. Not really fun when there are a lot of other characters that I think are more interesting. Playing as Sackboy and doing mostly the same moves over and over from a safe distance was not fun. I'll be glad when they patch random 1v1 in.

Let's play some 1v1's XD Im bored anyways.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Like I said game isn't balanced towards FFA and random 2v2's with a random scrub REALLY doesn't mean jack shit. Me and Frank played a ton of games together not a single game where there was a sackboy did they win. You know the game we did lose? Jak and Spike.

See above, if it's 2v2 use some team synergy. Should be assist character and rush down.

I play 2v2 with my cousin a ton. 90% of the time we do beat sackboy, doesn't mean he isn't OP. There is no way a random projectile that bounces all over the stage should net you 25 points. There's also no reason his AP costs are so incredibly low when he can build AP pretty damn fast whether it be comboing or just camping and firing out cakes and jelly. He's much better balanced with his AP costs boosted and his projectiles being nerfed. How the hell is it fair that a character with his ability for AP gain gets an amazing LVL 3 that costs nothing compared to the rest of the characters. This particularly a pain in the ass on levels like DOJO where it's just mayhem and trying to handle the sackboy gets to be difficult with his teamate able to get after you.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I forced myself to stop playing as Ratchet last night, and spent my bus ride home playing as Good Cole in some FFA Stock matches against the CPU AI. I learned quite a few things, but the matches were too close for comfort, and I did lose one of them.

AI Sackboy was a bastard, and managed to get 5 or 6 kills during his Level 3 Super (in a Stock match of 10), killing each of us twice, I believe. When I play as Ratchet, Sackboy isn't too much of a problem, but with Good Cole, it takes a bit more thought to deal with him, mostly because Cole's tools are a bit different than Ratchets. I learned that his Down + Circle ice attack is really effective at destroying the electric pads, and dishing damage to Sackboy at the same time, usually knocking him up in the air for a bit, so you can follow through (quickly!) with a Forward Square + Square (or Triangle) attack that sets him up for an Up + Square, or Up + Triangle set up. You can usually reach a Level 1 Super rather quickly. Still learning how to best utilize Cole's level 1. I mostly stuck with his Level 2 and 3 during my stock match, but that takes time to build up, then again, this game does reward patience in stock matches.

Loving Good Cole though. I'll do a write up about him as well as Ratchet soon.

Sackboy, Kratos, and Raiden, in my opinion, are three of the easiest characters for new people to pick up and play with, and win some matches. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal, because this game isn't the sole domain of the hardcore player that wants to get into these deep technical battles with each other. That tends to be what friends (whether personal or your friend's list) are for. I think we all went into this knowing that the random matches we play online would be with strangers, all of varying skill levels.

I spend most of my game time offline, due to the bugs, but I've had my fair share of frustrating matches the few times I've played online. In the meantime, I just play with friends or solo against the CPU. One of the benefits of playing the computer is that it doesn't spam constantly. Lol.

It's very clear to me that the early All Stars community is broken up into two camps:

1) Those that are very casual, and just hit buttons, do attacks until they build up a Level 3, then execute and watch the wins roll in. The joy for them simply comes from the chaotic nature of the battles, and how you don't have to be a grand master at fighting games to win some games.

and

2) Those that are moderate to hardcore, and want to get into the more competitive and technical aspects of the game and it's mechanics. They want to fight against other people that share that philosophy, and aren't just playing for a quick and easy win (using spamming tactics, or "win button" characters).

It kind of reminds me of this night years ago, my old roommate at the time was playing Street Fighter 3 I think, and he was battling against Gil, and getting his ass handed to him. I watched him lose for an hour before he finally gave up and threw the controller down, and left to go pick up his girlfriend. Me, a fairly casual and green behind the ears Street Fighter player (I can do a Hadoken, and that's about it), picked up the controller, and beat Gil my second try, using only punches and kicks. My roommate was comically furious, but when he was playing the game, he was trying too hard to be complex and technical fighting Gil, and Gil was simply countering those skills with his own complex and technical fighting, that my roommate couldn't counter that. Against my lame ass "Punch, Kick, it's all in the mind!" Gil was like "WTF is this?" and he couldn't beat me. Lol.

I didn't beat Gil because I was better at SF than my roommate. I beat him because I wasn't trying to show off. Sometimes, to beat a spammer or noob players that go easy mode, you have to think and play like them. It doesn't make the game fun, in my opinion, but it will get you through the match, and, ideally, your next match will be teamed up with someone who wants to take the game seriously. It's the main reason why I haven't been playing much. I don't think half of you guys are on my friend's list, so I hardly see any of you online, not to mention the various online bugs and glitches.

leroidys

I'm really confused. Was the patch never released for vita? I have never downloaded any patch and am still playing online, and sack still owns all.

5amshift

Banned
I'm really confused. Was the patch never released for vita? I have never downloaded any patch and am still playing online, and sack still owns all.

Kind of.. The patch went live then broke things in the game and so the patch was pulled.
Clearly Super Bot knows their stuff.

SmithnCo

lol they just turned t to private? That sucks.

Seems to me unless they tweak the AP, Kat is one where it takes a while to get to 3 but her 1s and 2s seem easy to get to. Just speculation though because it's alpha footage.

whitehawk

Banned
Just bought the PS3 version of this game. Does it have cross-saves so I can continue the game once my Vita version finishes downloading?

bradigor

Finally got round to giving this a go earlier. Played mainly on my Vita, but set up a PSN account for my son, so we can play together on Christmas day (me on Vita, him on his new PS3).

Really fun game and simple to get into. Can see us playing lots as a family.

Just for fun was wondering what characters you all think are kind of the anti character of another?

So far I think it is safe to say Fat Princess is Radec's worst nightmare. And Qistoptier made a compelling argument as to why Ratchet is the perfect match up for Sackboy. Any others? Who is Raiden's or Kratos' nemesis?

cyborg009

Banned
Just for fun was wondering what characters you all think are kind of the anti character of another?

So far I think it is safe to say Fat Princess is Radec's worst nightmare. And Qistoptier made a compelling argument as to why Ratchet is the perfect match up for Sackboy. Any others? Who is Raiden's or Kratos' nemesis?

Dante

Parappa is great vs Sackboy due to easy projectile reflecting and micpull from corner. Also if its total campwar you can force SB to move with your AP boombox.

Sly is anti Radec due to fast anti projectile barrel and invisi for his lvl 3.

Takao

Banned
Just bought the PS3 version of this game. Does it have cross-saves so I can continue the game once my Vita version finishes downloading?

I believe you just have to sign in on PSN and your progress will carry over. Don't think it works mid-Arcade mode or anything like that though.

Ran rp

ibwQukddGAyWKj.gif

iGCBsJgYsHqWD.gif

small

iepXnZQACVB9s.gif

Top Bottom