• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Noi

For some reason I've been feeling nostalgic for the times of speculation and joking around, back when we barely knew anything about this game. I hope we get another sequel, if just for another round of that.

Only if Sony hires a competent marketing team for the job.

...Ah, who am I kidding.

KalBalboa

Banned
So I was playing some Jak HD earlier, collecting some orbs and the like, when I got the All Stars itch. I jumped into All-Stars on my PS3 and got every Jak related trophy I could (all two of them).

I kind of like being able to revisit an old PS1/2/3 game then parlay that experience right into All-Stars. I realize this is kind of a pointless post, but it's 3:27 AM and I felt like sharing.

J-Tier

For some reason I've been feeling nostalgic for the times of speculation and joking around, back when we barely knew anything about this game. I hope we get another sequel, if just for another round of that.

Indeed, those were good times. I want some new info to crop up that'll spark that hype and rage that was present earlier.

OmegaZero

Same as I just love the character and immediately gravitated toward him.

How would people rate him?

Annoying, especially if you're a melee character with crappy approach options like my Dante.
He doesn't really have many combos from what I can tell, but his ranged options are plentiful and useful.

People already had to watch out for my Dan. Now they have even more reason to fear me >:)

As long as you're not one of those Dans that keeps trying to combo into his level 1.
Is there an actual combo into that yet, btw? Most of the Dans I fight just hit me into the air and try to stun me with the arrow.

Annoying, especially if you're a melee character with crappy approach options like my Dante.
He doesn't really have many combos from what I can tell, but his ranged options are plentiful and useful.

As long as you're not one of those Dans that keeps trying to combo into his level 1.
Is there an actual combo into that yet, btw? Most of the Dans I fight just hit me into the air and try to stun me with the arrow.

Yeah noticed he doesn't have any real super techincal combos, but his default square attack throws out like 70 DMG?

Pretty decent for a minimal amount of effort. His moves in general seems really well done and just makes sense to me, unlike say, Sly Cooper, who I played exclusively during the beta.
LV.1 seems like it could be a problem though lol

J-Tier

So, to unearth the curiosity we shared a few months back... who do we expect in DLC pack #2? Abe? An Assassin? Solid Snake?

I really hope they stick to first parties. Though Abe is acceptable, and probable.

As Omar said, "Abe is [his] favorite character of all time. Of all time!"

I never try the arrow, but if the opponent isn't quick enough on the clutch, I do the three sword slash combo (ending on two uppercuts), and I can pop a super just as they air recover to strike them down. Of course, his Level 2 is a true hit confirm and will always be more reliable, but I use whatever works.

So, to unearth the curiosity we shared a few months back... who do we expect in DLC pack #2? Abe? An Assassin? Solid Snake?

To stick to the theme of promoting new games, I'm thinking maybe Jodie Holmes from Beyond: Two Souls. Connor from ACIII seems like a good fit if they could get him. I would also like to see a Final Fantasy character. Maybe have a Square Enix pack and include Lightning/Sora? I know Sora is a long shot but I'm still holding out for him and a Mortal Kombat rep

Camjo-Z

Sup peeps, finally got approved! I hope nobody minds me using this Ratchet avatar, just wanted something to use until I find my own avatar since I'm not the type to rock the noavi look.

Anyways, if anybody is up for 2v2 sometime, I'm game! I main Sir Dan and IIRC I'm currently somewhere around 15th on the leaderboards, so you don't have to worry about me getting whipped by the competition... My PSN is same as my GAF name!

Sup peeps, finally got approved! I hope nobody minds me using this Ratchet avatar, just wanted something to use until I find my own avatar since I'm not the type to rock the noavi look.

Anyways, if anybody is up for 2v2 sometime, I'm game! I main Sir Dan and IIRC I'm currently somewhere around 15th on the leaderboards, so you don't have to worry about me getting whipped by the competition... My PSN is same as my GAF name!

Hey Camjo good to see you on gaf! We'll definitely team up some time.
I was hoping the first DLC pack would be released in January, but since we haven't heard anything about it, is that probably not going to be the case? Any ideas? And I wonder how they're going to tell us about everything/the next DLC. I can't remember the last time something wasn't leaked haha. Most likely PS Blog I guess.

plainr_

N78i5.jpg

Welcome to the fold! I could use a good 2vs2 partner for some games occasionally, if you don't mind a lowly red belt dragging down your W/L ratio. :D

Drencrom

They honestly were. Everybody snaping at the lack off news and just going crazy about everything was some of the best times I had on GAF.

Haha, yeah these threads were pretty crazy back then. Good times idd

Welcome aboard man, 15th place ain't bad lol

J-Tier

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...-absence-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale/

Looks like Activision would rather have Crash as a Skylanders character, rather than have Sony get him into PSASBR.

Oh, and also, PSASBR isn't in the EVO lineup, not surprisingly.

Note: The first bit is speculation. But likely to be true.

Here's the thread from 2 days ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507021&highlight=skylanders

I know the news is "old" but why haven't we been posting this stuff here? Cuz "we now community"? Sad to see no new updates here.

Sorry Napalm, i've been afk earlier and only saw your message just now. Doesn't help that i can't see you online on the XMB when you're on your Vita. :/

If anyone remembers my rant about quitters from a while back... i've run into the same Sly user (currently #25 on the world leaderboard) that quit on me in the last second when i was winning the other day. So this time we're playing in Dreamscape and i knew i would have a hard time dealing with him there without running into a "Happy to help!", so i mostly resorted to ranged attacks and got a kill on him, with another guy also killing him once with Kratos' level 2. He of course was saving up for his level 3, which he managed to activate shortly before the end, killing me, but not before he missed 3-4 times and then he failed to kill anyone else. So of course he quits immediately after that, what a shameless loser.

Edit: I was asking about Sly's "trap" move the other day and how best to approach it. I've tried him out in practice and it turns out that's his parry, shows how well i know Sly. :p
Is it me, or does it seems awfully strong, especially compared to some other parries, like Heihachi's? I've ran into a Sly user (not the quitter) that was incredibly efficiant with it, he countered practically every move i did, be it long range or close up. Obviously he was a good player, but i was at a loss at what to do after a while, when anything i did backfired on me.

Camjo-Z

I was asking about Sly's "trap" move the other day and how best to approach it. I've tried him out in practice and it turns out that's his parry, shows how well i know Sly. :p
Is it me, or does it seems awfully strong, especially compared to some other parries, like Heihachi's? I've ran into a Sly user (not the quitter) that was incredibly efficiant with it, he countered practically every move i did, be it long range or close up. Obviously he was a good player, but i was at a loss at what to do after a while, when anything i did backfired on me.

I'm not really sure why they gave Sly a parry, I thought the whole point of him getting invisibility was that he can't dodge/block. With his parry, he doesn't even need those. In any case, Sly is probably one of the hardest characters to beat if he's got someone competent playing him. Fortunately, most people playing him suck and will spam one of two moves:

Side Triangle (Electric Ball) - Extremely annoying, since he bounces off of you on block so he's often too far away to punish (however, some characters like Kratos have enough range to get him). Instead, just jump/roll away and make him use something else.

Neutral Circle (Parry) - This can be hard to beat since unlike other characters' counters, there's almost no penalty for screwing it up, so he can perform it again almost instantly. That said, he can't counter a grab, so if you catch him repeatedly doing this then just start grabbing him, he'll either wise up and start trying more advanced tactics or get his ass beat.

OmegaZero

It annoys me, it's so ... arrogant. That and the guys that when the match starts, just stand there waiting for someone to come up to them (for a long period of time), like they are so badass they don't need to fight.

I do this often when I'm facing high level opponents (unless it's 2v2 of course) so I can get a read on their fighting style. Makes it easier for me since Dante is sooo punishable if he misses a ground attack.
I usually join the fray after a few seconds though.

SykoTech

Did we ever get a release date for Kat, Emmett, and the Heavenly Sword/WipEout stage?

I'm guessing no, but I've been really out of the gaming loop for the last few weeks.

Camjo-Z

Some new details on Kat and Emmett, courtesy of Strider_Doom (Clockw0rk) from the Playstation Forums:

Strider_Doom said:
KAT

- Mainly a rushdown character, specializes in mobility. She probably has the best mobility of all the cast due to the different ways in which she can get around.

- Her square attacks are her usual kick attacks.

- Triangles are "gravity" themed moves, including her slide and gravity kicks!

- Circle is "other" stuff, including gravity pull/push moves.

- She's a combo character! I like to compare her to a simpler Dante in terms of her combo ability. She has simple combos that build a decent amount of AP and more advanced combos that allow her to AP burst.

- She has a really cool move with neutral Circle. She summons 3 pieces of random debris around her that she can hurl at opponents. The hurling has no startup, but she is extremely vulnerable while summoning. This move unlocks her advanced combos, as you can throw debris between attacks. For any of you MvC2 / COTA players, think Spiral's swords.

- Her level 2 super is sick. It's kind of like a reverse Sir Daniel level 2, except she fires downwards instead of upwards. She also has a bit of control over when and where she fires the stalagmites.

EMMETT

- The point of Emmett is to bring his build and battle style to PASBR. He can utilize different weapon loadouts which he summons with Triangle.

- He can summon a turret to fire at opponents for extra AP. The turret is destructible, though.

- He can also summon a Rift Extractor that generates AP, similar to PaRappa's boombox.

- His default weapon loadout is a standard rifle. He also uses a pistol in this loadout.

- For close range battles, his Shotgun loadout is best. Fires quick, 30 AP per hit, and you can fire in multiple directions.

- Long range battles are best fought with the Rocket Launcher loadout. The rockets don't travel super fast, but they're aimable and will travel the entire length of the screen.

- Different loadouts will also have different grenades and mines to use.

- His square attacks are melee based attacks that don't change. They're a bit limited, but rightfully so considering his other tools.

- His level 1 super will change depending on which loadout you have, effectively giving him 5 supers total.

- His level 3 is a transform super similar to Sweet Tooth. He jumps in his Hawk and goes to town! The Hawk has a machine gun, aerial mines, and melee attacks. What's interesting is that Circle will activate Flight Mode in which the Hawk flies off the screen and goes for a quick bombing run.

- Flight Mode will immediately end his level 3. Why wouldn't you try to get some kills first before activating Flight Mode, you ask?! Well, the amount of "bombing" that the Hawk does will depend on how many kills you've gotten so far. So, if you've already scored 3 kills with the Hawk's other moves, the bombing run won't be as effective as it would have been if you activated at only 1 or 2 kills.

So from the looks of it, Kat is basically going to be Nariko/Dante on steroids and Emmett has a mix of Sweet Tooth's shotguns, PaRappa's boombox, and Ratchet's range. These guys sound awesome.

Aceun

Some new details on Kat and Emmett, courtesy of Strider_Doom (Clockw0rk) from the Playstation Forums:

- His level 1 super will change depending on which loadout you have, effectively giving him 5 supers total.

Umm... woah

Emmett sounds like he has a lot of options and now I'm dying to see a Kat and Jak 1v1 (maybe with a little buff on the Jak side)

So from the looks of it, Kat is basically going to be Nariko/Dante on steroids and Emmett has a mix of Sweet Tooth's shotguns, PaRappa's boombox, and Ratchet's range. These guys sound awesome.

Sounds great, can't wait to play them!

Thanks for the matches earlier, you saved my ass a few times. :)

Top Bottom