• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

sn00zer

Keep asking this, but is there a list of easter eggs for this game? Would like to see why certain character colors were chosen, as many obviously represent other characters and franchises or maybe a whole list of the time station creatures.

Aceun

I really thought I was going to like Kat more, but Emmett's supers are AMAZE.

Making DLC levels available ranked is a good solution. I think it's something most online multiplayer (especially in the FPS genre) can learn from. It's smart business wise and it doesn't piss off the consumer.

Curious to see what they got cooked up for March.

plainr_

Double post, but napalm, would you be able to make another thing for the "characters section" in the OP? Bruce might be too busy to do it, do you think youd' be able to mimick his style?

I'd love to but I suu huu huuuck at anything graphixxx mate :(. Perhaps Plainr could be persuaded?

Of course I might be able to do it but I don't have that teal diamond shaped thingy image so it would be terrible!

Yes, it can be done.

imIVnkKSIz9fU.png

Now we need Dreweyes for a Toro Kat cat pixel art. :)

Camjo-Z

Keep asking this, but is there a list of easter eggs for this game? Would like to see why certain character colors were chosen, as many obviously represent other characters and franchises or maybe a whole list of the time station creatures.

If there isn't already I can probably come up with one, I've seen pretty much every easter egg in the game by now...

Also, I was spending some time in Practice mode with Sackboy when I discovered - as we all know, his Level 1 randomly turns him into either PaRappa, Drake, or Cole and has him doing a lethal upwards dash at the opponent... but not all of the costumes are made equal! All three of them actually have slightly different properties:

-PaRappa costume goes the shortest distance, goes diagonally

-Cole costume goes a longer distance, goes diagonally

-Drake costume is equal to Cole's except it also spins to hit opponents normally out of the range of the other costumes

Normally you would barely notice these differences, but one particular hit confirm is made a huge gamble because of it. Sackboy is able to use a Level 1 after his up grab if he moves forward slightly after the throw, but the problem is that while Drake and Cole will always score a kill, PaRappa's shorter range requires some extremely precise timing that's unreasonable to ask of the player. (I tested it with each costume 20 times - Drake hit 20/20, Cole hit 18/20, and PaRappa hit 2/20. The reason Drake worked more than Cole is that even if I screwed up the timing a little, Drake's spin can still catch the opponent.)

Basically, what this means is that Sackboy is the only character that has a Level 1 with random properties. The easiest way to fix it would be so give the PaRappa costume slightly more range, and also give both PaRappa and Cole a circular spin like Drake so they have equal chances of hitting the opponent.

OmegaZero

Also, I was spending some time in Practice mode with Sackboy when I discovered - as we all know, his Level 1 randomly turns him into either PaRappa, Drake, or Cole and has him doing a lethal upwards dash at the opponent... but not all of the costumes are made equal! All three of them actually have slightly different properties:

-Drake costume is equal to Cole's except it also spins to hit opponents normally out of the range of the other costumes

I knew it.
No wonder up throw -> Super 1 didn't work for me sometimes.
Not that I usually play as Sackboy. The game just loves giving me random characters instead of Heihachi or Dante.

If there isn't already I can probably come up with one, I've seen pretty much every easter egg in the game by now...

Normally you would barely notice these differences, but one particular hit confirm is made a huge gamble because of it. Sackboy is able to use a Level 1 after his up grab if he moves forward slightly after the throw, but the problem is that while Drake and Cole will always score a kill, PaRappa's shorter range requires some extremely precise timing that's unreasonable to ask of the player. (I tested it with each costume 20 times - Drake hit 20/20, Cole hit 18/20, and PaRappa hit 2/20. The reason Drake worked more than Cole is that even if I screwed up the timing a little, Drake's spin can still catch the opponent.)

Basically, what this means is that Sackboy is the only character that has a Level 1 with random properties. The easiest way to fix it would be so give the PaRappa costume slightly more range, and also give both PaRappa and Cole a circular spin like Drake so they have equal chances of hitting the opponent.

That's why I hate his level 1 so much. But if you're right, the strategy guide was wrong. It said the change didn't mean anything. Ughhhh.

And I never got to say it before, but I agree 100% with you on your analysis of Sackboy.

Drencrom

Honestly the ranked matches are the only thing I even really want the new stage so no prob for me. Then again I wouldn't be against supporting SB with DLC moneyz *sigh*.

I'll be buying it mostly to support SB, nice to have the new stage when I got friends over to play too.

Zen

Banned
It's crazy how unbalanced the game is.

Hope those patches come quick.

Is it really? How so?

That's why I hate his level 1 so much. But if you're right, the strategy guide was wrong. It said the change didn't mean anything. Ughhhh.

And I never got to say it before, but I agree 100% with you on your analysis of Sackboy.

Well his lvl 2 and 3 are pretty damn good so that somewhat compensates, but the level 1 should be looked at.

Camjo-Z

Is it really? How so?

I can field this one... here are a few highlights:

-Kratos, Raiden, and Sly dominate the game thanks to ridiculous priority on moves, good AP gain, easy hit confirms, amazing supers, etc.

-Characters like Sir Dan, Nariko, and Jak are awful thanks to terrible supers/AP gain and in Jak's case numerous moves that are virtually useless in a real battle

-Assorted things like two Toros being able to get one kill in 2v2 and then hide in the air for the rest of the match, various infinites, and glitches for Sir Dan and Heihachi that allow them to get way more AP than they should under certain conditions

The game's a lot of fun, but there are some obvious problems that I hope they're fixing.

KalBalboa

Banned
-Characters like Sir Dan, Nariko, and Jak are awful thanks to terrible supers/AP gain and in Jak's case numerous moves that are virtually useless in a real battle

I used to the Jak was in dire need of a buff, but then I played as him for about a week and realized he was fine. His mobility and move-set are top-notch when used properly.

KalBalboa

Banned
haha, it's nothing to be ashamed of, he looks TERRIBLE. He's an absolute beast when used properly though.

He really is. Forward + Square into an uppercut, then air spin, then an air Forward + Square is a really rewarding and fun combo. That Level 1 can be devastating in the right circumstances, too.

Zen

Banned
I can field this one... here are a few highlights:

-Kratos, Raiden, and Sly dominate the game thanks to ridiculous priority on moves, good AP gain, easy hit confirms, amazing supers, etc.

Jak is actually a really strong character, when played properly he's a nightmare to deal with at close/medium range.

And how many hit confirms does Sir Dan have anyway? A ton.

-Assorted things like two Toros being able to get one kill in 2v2 and then hide in the air for the rest of the match, various infinites, and glitches for Sir Dan and Heihachi that allow them to get way more AP than they should under certain conditions

The game's a lot of fun, but there are some obvious problems that I hope they're fixing.

though Toro being able to stay in the air forever means that 2 people can team up on his remaining partner.

Aside from my counter points on the above, I agree with you about the glitches etc, I just don't think that the game is really as imbalanced currently as you do, but there is refinement to be had.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Jak is actually a really strong character, when played properly he's a nightmare to deal with at close/medium range.

though Toro being able to stay in the air forever means that 2 people can team up on his remaining partner.

Aside from my counter points on the above, I agree with you about the glitches etc, I just don't think that the game is really as imbalanced currently as you do, but there is refinement to be had.

He was saying that if there are two toros they both do that... on top of that Sir Dans hit confirms are not only super hard to pull off, but I often dodge them, especially the arrow. Sir Dan is garbage, not even close. Especially when you compare these lower tier characters to the peak, it's ridiculously unfair. Raiden has a million confirms, his level 1 and 2 are god tier, and he's ridiculously easy to learn.

Zen

Banned
He was saying that if there are two toros they both do that... on top of that Sir Dans hit confirms are not only super hard to pull off, but I often dodge them, especially the arrow. Sir Dan is garbage, not even close. Especially when you compare these lower tier characters to the peak, it's ridiculously unfair. Raiden has a million confirms, his level 1 and 2 are god tier, and he's ridiculously easy to learn.

For sure, but let's not forget that there are plenty of relative 'trash' characters in Smash as well, and with All Stars, by nature of the mechanics, I think it's going to be impossible to really attain a game as balanced as even more traditional fighters, and even there we've seen character previously thought terrible eventually get figured out and blow people away (happened with Soul Callibur, for instance).

Camjo-Z

I used to the Jak was in dire need of a buff, but then I played as him for about a week and realized he was fine. His mobility and move-set are top-notch when used properly.

His mobility is great, but his moveset? He basically feels like Ratchet with better melee and worse everything else. For starters, his Mass Inverter is straight up useless, I have no idea why it doesn't combo into Level 1. Needle Laser has no point because it's slow and gives about 10 AP. His Gyro Buster is slow moving and easy to avoid, his Arc Welder requires you to be close range already so why not just use better melee, and his Peace Maker gives you a terrible 5 AP for using! His only useful guns are the ones everybody spams, the Wave Concussor and the Blaster, aka the red and yellow guns, because they're the only ones that set him up for melee combos/give him decent AP.

I don't think you've played Sir Dan much at all, his only hit confirm you'll actually pull off in a real match is one for his Level 2, and that's not very useful. Playing as Dan requires a lot of prediction with his Level 1, and smart use of his Level 3 (which is to say, it's smartest to not use it.)

And also to be honest, I've been using that dumb Toro air trick with my friend in unranked 2v2... it's a terrible troll tactic and if you're on the recieving end it sucks, but damn if it isn't hilarious to do.

J-Tier

I know Gabe Logan from Syphon Filter is fairly popular as a request, what do you guys think he can do to make him different from other gun characters? He seems fairly standard moveset-wise with some stealth options to mix it up, but that's about it.

sn00zer

Easter Egg list Ive found so far searching the internets many are forum post copies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nu5Ma8EWqCQ#t=572s

-Killing everyone on screen in Sandover drops confetti and says "Nice Shot!"

-If you use Big Daddy's level 3 on San Fransisco or Time Station, there are Chimera/Apes swimming around in the background...this may also work in other stages with background characters like dreamscape and hades when the patapon are around

-In Sandover Village,after the Mash-up,if you swim on the right side of the screen,you will find a sign that says "Out of Bounds"

-Dante's 1 costume i think 3rd color is Vergil

-Big Daddy's 2 costume 2nd color is Lancer

-During Pararrapa's Lvl 3. The foreground characters include UmJammer Lammy

-when you use the tnt move with sly (up circle) in the water, he uses oars and uses it as a boat

-kratos 3rd alt color is fear Kratos from the end of GoW3

-In the background on sandover village, there are precursor orbs on the bridge

-On the Columbia stage, sometimes a background character will fall/get blown up and you can hear the Wilhelm Scream.

-In the background of dojo you can see instructor moosaliney and beyond the fence in the fleamarket you can see prince fleaswalloe

-Raiden's first costume second color is supposed to be based off of Grey Fox from MGS1.

-The Buzz guy does a swimming action if you activate Bug Daddy's level 3 while the Buzz guy's present...

-Toro's command grab has him throwing out a scorpion to pull people closer

-All of Polygon Man's old advertisement blurbs made it into PSASBR in some way, but he never says "I am more powerful than GOD" like he did in one of his print advertisements, probably to avoid controversy. However, I just noticed that the line's STILL worked in; in Kratos' intro, probably one of the only ones that acknowledges someone's controlling the crossover directly, he states that the reason he wanted to kill the guy in charge of the merge was because "he claimed to be more powerful than the gods."

-Evil Cole's oil drop is not in any of the games, but is borrowed from side character Nix's abilities

-Alden's Tower has Sly cooper's logo on the first (bottom) section, the safe that the clue bottles unlock in the second (middle), and of course Carmelita in the third (top).

- A Warhawk will occasionally show up in Timestation

-If you have a cole idol in water it looks like he is getting hurt

Camjo-Z

Easter Egg list Ive found so far searching the internets many are forum post copies:

That's actually most of what I came up with (although I never knew about the Cole idle animation, that's awesome), a few other tidbits:

-On Time Station, you can see Natalie and the Professor on a screen at the left side of the stage, and a Ciokina from Patapon will sometimes appear in the teleporter trying to attack an ape

-Master Onion breaking the Dojo, growing to a huge size, and turning the background into a sunset is a reference to getting Cool mode in Level 1 of PaRappa the Rapper where all of these things would happen when you started rapping well enough

sn00zer

there are rumor that something will happen if you follow master onions prompts, he does react to what you do so there may be something to it

Camjo-Z

there are rumor that something will happen if you follow master onions prompts, he does react to what you do so there may be something to it

I saw that in the strategy guide, but it's not true. I went in both solo and with an opponent as PaRappa and kicked, punched, chopped and blocked on his cue, but he always got mad regardless.

Camjo-Z

im wondering if you need more than one character doing it or something....I have gotten prompts where he doesnt get mad

What have you heard him say? Here's what I've gotten:

Commands:

-Punch!
-Kick!
-Block!
-Chop!
-Duck!
-Turn!

Responses:

-Fear does not exist in the Fruites Dojo!
-Arrrr!!
-No no, not like that!
-Don't test me!
-Come on now, why don't you follow my words?
-Aeeyuhhh!!
-No, no...
-Don't get cocky, it's gonna get rocky!
-You get a lesson from teacher!
-Rrrrrr!!
-HiiiiiyadudududududCHAA!!!

KalBalboa

Banned
I know Gabe Logan from Syphon Filter is fairly popular as a request, what do you guys think he can do to make him different from other gun characters? He seems fairly standard moveset-wise with some stealth options to mix it up, but that's about it.

That taser alone would make for an excellent Level 1.

OmegaZero

What's this about a Heihachi glitch?
Is this something I need to watch out for online?

Camjo-Z

What's this about a Heihachi glitch?
Is this something I need to watch out for online?

You probably won't see it in a normal match because most people don't know about it and Heihachi's pretty unpopular, but here's the deal: you know how Heihachi can hold down+circle to charge a punch? Well, if you hold it down for a while, instead of a blue glow his hands will turn red. Normally this is just supposed to increase his AP gain times 3 for his next attack (for example his forward square will get 60 AP instead of 20) but for some reason any AP you collect while he's charged will give you 3 times as much as well.

Now, imagine you're fighting on Dreamscape. You know that poisonous water that makes AP continuously fly out of you? Guess what happens if Heihachi charges up and stands in it.

Oh, and it even works on AP that's knocked out of opponents from a grab. So basically, if your opponent has a Level 2 and you grab him while charged, the AP you get will equal a full Level 1 for Heihachi.

I usually don't brag, but this time is something special to me since I've rarely ever done it. I just finished a ffa match where I used Jak's level 1 to triple kill, not once, but twice. It was quite impressive if I do say so myself.

OmegaZero

You probably won't see it in a normal match because most people don't know about it and Heihachi's pretty unpopular, but here's the deal: you know how Heihachi can hold down+circle to charge a punch? Well, if you hold it down for a while, instead of a blue glow his hands will turn red. Normally this is just supposed to increase his AP gain times 3 for his next attack (for example his forward square will get 60 AP instead of 20) but for some reason any AP you collect while he's charged will give you 3 times as much as well.

Now, imagine you're fighting on Dreamscape. You know that poisonous water that makes AP continuously fly out of you? Guess what happens if Heihachi charges up and stands in it.

Oh, and it even works on AP that's knocked out of opponents from a grab. So basically, if your opponent has a Level 2 and you grab him while charged, the AP you get will equal a full Level 1 for Heihachi.

Ah, thanks.
Yeah, most Heihachis charge up to red (including me), so I guess I'll watch out for someone trying to throw me or grabbing AP.

I usually don't brag, but this time is something special to me since I've rarely ever done it. I just finished a ffa match where I used Jak's level 1 to triple kill, not once, but twice. It was quite impressive if I do say so myself.

I would be raging so hard if I was on the other side of those triple kills.

Why doesn't anyone hit the enemies when Drake goes into his lvl 3?

You mean as a zombie?
Hitting someone with that zombie slap?

Nakiro

You mean as a zombie?
Hitting someone with that zombie slap?

When I'm playing 2v2 and I get my lvl 3. Rarely will someone hit the zombies.. but it really helps because it stuns them so you won't miss... you could easily get an extra kill or two if the teamate would help.

Top Bottom