• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Clockw0rk

Got this game day 1. Was able to convince most of my friends to get it too and we all enjoy playing it even though we're all aware of its problems.

I'm pretty good with Drake since he has such versatile move set however I love using Spike whether I win or lose I rather play as him than any other characters even though I'm better with other characters than I am with Spike.

Also I signed up for a 1v1 tournament at my school, there are over 10 participants and the 1st place price is $50. Here's hoping I win!

Woah sick dude. What school do you go to?

Camjo-Z

Since I've been doing these posts on how characters and balance can be improved, I figured I might as well do one on Sackboy. I felt like my previous posts were mainly just me whining about why a character sucked, so I tried to do a little more research with this.

Sackboy, as he is now, just doesn't mesh with descriptions of him before PSAS's release. In an IGN intereview, Omar Kendall stated that "he really wants to be as far away from you as possible at all times, even more so than Radec." (1:11 in the video) However, consider his options when he is far away from you: he has Jam Session, which now gives you a tiny 10 AP, and he has Cakeinator, which gives him 20 AP. This is literally all he can do if he is far away. His Jetpack used to be a good crowd-clearing long range option when his fan could send him flying across the stage (at 0:44), but the fan was nerfed before release and it now only meaningfully affects his projectiles. Compare this to Radec, who has a stage-spanning sniper rifle that gives him 30 AP on each hit - 5 shots with it will give him a Level 1 that can also hit opponents from across the map. Clearly Sackboy is no longer a threat as a long range character.

So what is he then? Though his shockpad and cake are good traps to use up close, and he has some good combos, against more than one person his limited melee skills and inability to fight off multiple opponents become apparent. Thus Sackboy has instead become a "hit-and-run" character, one that gets his licks in, dashes out to throw a few cakes, and then rushes in the fray again when things die down. This actually suits him well, and fits the character. However, as we've all learned from characters like Nariko, Sir Dan, and Spike, it's not the moveset that makes the (wo)man, but the supers.

Pre-patch, these were Sackboy's AP requirements:

Level 1 Super - 100 AP
Level 2 Super - 325 AP
Level 3 Super - 600 AP

This is fairly balanced - his Level 3 is able to get roughly 6 kills in FFA and 4-5 in 2v2, so the amount of AP used getting his Level 3 could also be used getting 6 well-placed Level 1's or 2 Level 2's. However, take a look at his AP gain after the patch:

Level 1 Super - 150 AP
Level 2 Super - 400 AP
Level 3 Super - 750 AP

Do you see how they messed him up? If so, you understand basic math! If not, take a look at this:

Possible Kills at 750 AP:

Level 1 - 5 Kills (This is assuming single kills only, since Sackboy's Level 1 will almost never hit more than one person)
Level 2 - 2-3 Kills
Level 3 - 4-6 Kills

Note that getting 6 kills at 750 AP requires either landing at least one double kill with his 5 Level 1's, or using his Level 3. According to my friend Juptile (the highest ranked Sackboy in 2v2) it takes a little over 2 minutes for Sackboy to get 750 AP under good conditions (aka not getting hit by repeated grabs, meter stealing items, hazards, etc.) so this means that to get the max amount kills in a 3 minute match he is pretty much forced to use Level 3 and a Level 1 or land multiple Level 1's - of which the former is far easier to do than the latter. His Level 2 is simply no longer an option since it uses too much AP.

So we now know that his supers are unbalanced thanks to the AP changes, but why were those changes required in the first place? Because for some reason, Superbot BUFFED Sackboy's Level 3 before release. As seen in his official trailer (at 1:00), Sackboy's Level 3 used to get 3 kills max in FFA (and presumably 2 in 2v2) since opponents wouldn't respawn in bubbles. This was likely done because Sackboy was able to get some AP back from bubbles before killing his opponents, unlike every other Level 3. However, now he can kill opponents from 2-3 times depending on their distance from him when he activates the super. Why was this change made? Perhaps Superbot felt that only 2-3 max kills wasn't good enough for a Level 3 super, although why they would think this and leave Sir Dan's horrible Level 3 unchanged is beyond me.

So: because of all these changes, Sackboy has essentially become an "all-or-nothing" character who is required to use his Level 3 to win a match. This, to me, is a problem, as all of a character's supers should be viable tools to win a match, and as of now Sackboy's Level 2 is useless and his Level 1 takes an extreme amount of skill to win with. To fix Sackboy, it is really a very simple task. Give him back his old AP gain for projectiles and his old AP requirements, because they weren't the problem. His fan can stay nerfed, no one really needs it anyways, but his Level 3 needs to go back to its old prerelease state - getting 6 kills AND almost enough meter for a Level 1 is just too much power for one super.

Camjo-Z

Looking at tomorrow regarding new info. Keep your eyes peeled O.O

rdh54.gif

Drencrom

Looking at tomorrow regarding new info. Keep your eyes peeled O.O

sweet!

iZUCLIGDhEPJt.gif

Got this game day 1. Was able to convince most of my friends to get it too and we all enjoy playing it even though we're all aware of its problems.

I'm pretty good with Drake since he has such versatile move set however I love using Spike whether I win or lose I rather play as him than any other characters even though I'm better with other characters than I am with Spike.

Also I signed up for a 1v1 tournament at my school, there are over 10 participants and the 1st place price is $50. Here's hoping I win!

Barrel n' gun, good luck!

Clockw0rk

A school here in L.A. Lot of fanatics here at my school that love the game. After school many come just to play it.

Aw that's awesome. Which school, if you don't mind me asking? I'd love to pay a visit sometime and maybe bring some goodies. (you can PM me if you want!) Also, you should tell your classmates to come check out SCR this weekend at UCI, SuperBot will be there in full effect!

Edit: BTW, did you guys see this WILD Cole combo video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nap_ilO7aoE The guy who designed Cole has watched it at least a dozen times already haha

just got the game in the past week which seems like a great time to be jumping in with 2 confirmed characters coming and hopefully a couple more to be announced.

Tried playing online last night (Vita) but couldn't find a game - how long do you guys usually have to wait to find one and is that for ranked or unranked?

Who do you guys think would be realistic choices for future DLC characters?
I think Abe or Stranger have to be coming but I have no idea who they'd bother with outside of that. Maybe Isaac from Dead Space could get in there with the new game coming out soon.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Awesome! New informations TMW. Can't Wait.

I bet that it will be about Kat and Emmett. I would be surprise if they announce more characters.

Man if they announce two characters tomorrow that'd be amazing. I personally am expecting some fixes to the online, tweaks and DLC release info tmrw. I'd probably flip in the air if they announced Crash is coming(I'm still hurt.)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Man if they announce two characters tomorrow that'd be amazing. I personally am expecting some fixes to the online, tweaks and DLC release info tmrw. I'd probably flip in the air if they announced Crash is coming(I'm still hurt.)

Quite a few things that need to be fixed

- The Announced Raiden, Drake, and Kratos nerfs need to come, Raiden is a MUST.
- The party system needs to be fixd... I haven't seen anybody complaining about this, but does anybody else have to reinvite their partner every other round sometimes multiple rounds in a row?
- Different character glitch still happens
- Punishment for quitting
- Random level glitches, seen a few of these. Started up Loco Roco once and a million loco rocos just kept pouring out until my ps3 froze, was pretty funny nonetheless.
- Fix the infinites, pain in the ass.

OmegaZero

- The party system needs to be fixd... I haven't seen anybody complaining about this, but does anybody else have to reinvite their partner every other round sometimes multiple rounds in a row?
- Different character glitch still happens
- Random level glitches, seen a few of these. Started up Loco Roco once and a million loco rocos just kept pouring out until my ps3 froze, was pretty funny nonetheless.
- Fix the infinites, pain in the ass.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Camjo-Z

Hopefully they added Sly to the nerf list, if the other three top characters get nerfed and he's left alone I suspect he'll quickly dominate the game. And yes, I've had the party problem as well.

Also quitting wouldn't be quite so annoying if it weren't for the fact that sometimes you'll lose BP if your OPPONENT is the one who quits! IDK if they should really instate a punishment in unranked since even I've quit stock matches after watching them go on for 8+ minutes after my death (the solution there would be to add a timer to stock), but there's no excuse in ranked. Make quitters lose double the amount of BP they would have lost had they finished the match.

J-Tier

Looks good. Though the trailer didn't really showcase Emmett's quirks that well. Most people think he's another Radec when he has unique gimmicks.

Here's the blog post for them: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013...-the-battle-february-12th-free-for-two-weeks/
Our newest level, Fearless — a mash-up between Heavenly Sword and Wipeout — will also be available to purchase in February. Please note that purchasing Fearless will allow you to select the stage offline and in non-ranked lobbies, while those who choose not to purchase it can still enjoy it in ranked games online.
I thought the stage was free and included with the characters, unless I was mistaken. Or reading wrong

Tsunamo

Glad to hear we finally have a date on them.
Can't wait to try them out, and get back into the game after giving it a break for a few weeks.

Camjo-Z

I actually think Emmett's trailer shows the differences between him and guys like Sweet Tooth or Radec, he's comfortable at long range but he has no problem getting in close and doing damage.

Here's the blog post for them: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013...-the-battle-february-12th-free-for-two-weeks/

I thought the stage was free and included with the characters, unless I was mistaken. Or reading wrong

I thought so too, a little misleading. I'm not opposed to paying for it when they're giving us Kat and Emmett free though.

I think the most important thing to take away from the blog post is this:

We’re not stopping there though. We still have some more All-Stars on the way, so keep your eyes peeled in March for more info!

Come on, Robbit!

I actually think Emmett's trailer shows the differences between him and guys like Sweet Tooth or Radec, he's comfortable at long range but he has no problem getting in close and doing damage.

I thought so too, a little misleading. I'm not opposed to paying for it when they're giving us Kat and Emmett free though.

I think the most important thing to take away from the blog post is this:

Come on, Robbit!

Oh yeah I guess I don't mind so much, I can't complain about free characters.

Tsunamo

I'm expecting Lightning and Ryu (Ninja Gaiden) along with a new crossover stage in the March announcement, will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

SSReborn

It seems like the shotgun version of Emmett's Level one has him shoot it twice. The first shot straight and the second at an angle pretty cool. I wonder how his multiple level one's will come into play.

Top Bottom