• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation and Facebook cancel GDC appearances citing coronavirus concerns

redfirm

Banned
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...l-gdc-appearances-citing-coronavirus-concerns

“PlayStation and Facebook Gaming/Oculus will not be attending this year's Game Developers Conference due to concerns around the novel coronavirus COVID19.

It follows a series of cancelled or postponed video game events, plus console manufacturing disruption,caused by the outbreak. The virus has infected over 75,700 people so far, killing 2,130. The majority of cases have been in mainland china, with just over 1,000 cases reported in other countries (including 15 in the US).”

Hardware aside, I'm actually starting to worry about the games as well now. Will this impact their releases as well? While logically there would be no reason, I'm guessing big titles that were coming mid-late year were reliant on the new consoles.

Jtibh

Banned
Wont repeat my stance on the topic but at this point i wish sony microsoft etc would give us an update on their business model for the year.
Good or bad doesnt matter but out of courtesy to us the consumers.

They can say they missed their target window and we shouldnt expect much this year but will update us on the developments.

Thats realy all they have to do.
By now the world knows about the epidemic and there is no shame in admiting the truth.
In fact their honesty would go a long way.

But thats me as a simpleton wishing for once people would do the right thing.

Mista

Banned
Sony makes me feel that they're the only ones that are afraid of corona

Whats next? No PS5 this year??

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

If they did delay the launch (whether as a byproduct of Wuhan or as a business decision using Wuhan as a crutch) they’d be able to save a bit on production because it would have bypassed the smartphone launch window (September).

Or, what I find much more likely, is that they’ll just produce in more limited quantities for the initial launch this year and then ramp up production next year sometime. Scarcity of product is a powerful business tactic that can create rabid demand, if used properly.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sony:

QrfrV6U9g2yHRwdl621Fqe_fp_tKxpxN1i3JqD-BrL7bIaLUiDzZdaUsZhIEqyu-vPSIK4Lyetql_GoolaGOcNoNQiTPyf_mpokzDqnv4Cti9OVN9ShtSpt71YfW9o024uCAxiUKai-RvUtAIgCrNHNzf76Qxb4S5Xo

Jtibh

Banned

Look at it from the bright side.
Now all the cheap cocks from the mega thread that went against me have more time to save up the $500 for the new console.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Facebook seems to be a little worried. But I agree that we might not see the PS5 (and most likely either the XsX) this year.
If they did delay the launch (whether as a byproduct of Wuhan or as a business decision using Wuhan as a crutch) they’d be able to save a bit on production because it would have bypassed the smartphone launch window (September).

Or, what I find much more likely, is that they’ll just produce in more limited quantities for the initial launch this year and then ramp up production next year sometime. Scarcity of product is a powerful business tactic that can create rabid demand, if used properly.
Wanna bet that both consoles are coming out this year? I still believe the virus won't stop them

Sony is just throwing excuses because they don't have anything to show

If the virus is the real issue then all of those conventions would be cancelled by now right?

NickFire

I don't think it makes any sense to start worrying about next gen launching this year over this. All they are really doing is passing on the opportunity to sit in a petri dish for a few hours to talk about things that can easily be disseminated without getting on a plane.

Tiamat2san

I hate when a company does that.
Creating frustration.

I don't think it makes any sense to start worrying about next gen launching this year over this. All they are really doing is passing on the opportunity to sit in a petri dish for a few hours to talk about things that can easily be disseminated without getting on a plane.

They're not concerned about the coronavirus lol come on son.

Jtibh

Banned
Hasn't the virus killed less people per year than a common flu? Just send people in biohazard suits. Enough with these cancellations.
Its only 2 months old. Lets check back in another 10 months so we can compare it to the flu death rate

CyberPanda

Banned
To be honest, PS has enough brand power that they don't even need to show anything. They can still launch in fall, and sell out imo.

killatopak

ehm ok? how so?
it’s just a joke. Simple banter.
Hasn't the virus killed less people per year than a common flu? Just send people in biohazard suits. Enough with these cancellations.
The flu has a mortality rate of 0.00125% while the CoV has 2.5%.

So basically for every million people infected by the flu only 13 die. As for the Corona 25,000 people will die for every million infected.

The fact that we know what the flu does and we have cures and vaccines for it is also a factor. We don’t have any of that for CoV.

The main reason why the death isn’t as big the flu is because we are consciously containing the virus.

I'm not saying this isn't a legitimate reason, but it's also an ironically convenient excuse. If it were such a threat, wouldn't GDC's organizers cancel the event themselves outright? Same with PAX East; they'd cancel it themselves.

Also I'm sure all flights and shipments from China (particularly Wuhan) are being placed under extra quarantine and checks. That'd be the smart thing, never mind the optics. Just feels like it's becoming a convenient excuse at this point for reasons I can't just shake off.

Jtibh

Banned
I am awaiting dealers new video to see what spin he will put on this news.
Will be comedy gold for sure

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wanna bet that both consoles are coming out this year? I still believe the virus won't stop them

Sony is just throwing excuses because they don't have anything to show

If the virus is the real issue then all of those conventions would be cancelled by now right?

What do you mean by “they have nothing to show”, is this a new meme?

magnumpy

:lollipop_astonished::messenger_astonished: wtf this and caronovirus the world is coming to an end :(

seriously tho the next gen launch is still >7 months away. plenty of time to sort the virus concerns out before then!

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
LMAO at people thinking that only Sony could be troubled by this, as if the xbox were manufactured in Canada or something.

Top Bottom