• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation and Facebook cancel GDC appearances citing coronavirus concerns

For the plaguers

giphy.gif

Arkam

Hasn't the virus killed less people per year than a common flu? Just send people in biohazard suits. Enough with these cancellations.
The US alone spends ~$10Billion a year dealing with the flu...and that is something they plan for. Dealing with this is entirely reactionary. Which (usually) means significantly less efficient.

Dane

Hasn't the virus killed less people per year than a common flu? Just send people in biohazard suits. Enough with these cancellations.

Doesn't the flu kill waaay less in proportion? Like it affects 10 million people, yet 10k die (0,1%), plus treament available since decades ago. Coronavirus is something new and way deadlier, in fact, we are seeing that while the number of new cases are growing less and less, the number of deaths remain stable, which means we are yet to see the final death rate (currently at 2,7%).

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Do I sound like memeing right now bruv? Theres nothing wrong in them having nothing to talk about right now

Why else would they opt out of everything when theres companies still attending

Or anything said against Sony is a meme now?

No need to get so defensive, mate.

It was an innocuous question to a post lacking any context as to why you may think that.

There is plenty to talk about other than the PS5 for the rabid consumers, especially at GDC that’s focused entirely around developers.

Mista

Banned
No need to get so defensive, mate.

It was an innocuous question to a post lacking any context as to why you may think that.

There is plenty to talk about other than the PS5 for the rabid consumers, especially at GDC that’s focused entirely around developers.
Not being defensive at all. Sorry I sounded like that but I got bored from the same tape on repeat when anyone says anything about Sony

The typical “oh you’re a fanboy” or whatever the hell those clowns have going in their heads

The Alien

Banned
Understandable but was hoping to start hearing what Sony has. Though not sure what they planned on showing anyway.

I was psyched for Turn 10. They are confirmed to be showing Series X ray tracing for the (unannounced but obviously) new Forza Motorsports 8. The screenshots of the game are rediculous and heard aiming for 240fps.

MHubert

Wont repeat my stance on the topic but at this point i wish sony microsoft etc would give us an update on their business model for the year.
Good or bad doesnt matter but out of courtesy to us the consumers.

They can say they missed their target window and we shouldnt expect much this year but will update us on the developments.

Thats realy all they have to do.
By now the world knows about the epidemic and there is no shame in admiting the truth.
In fact their honesty would go a long way.

But thats me as a simpleton wishing for once people would do the right thing.
It might be a little too early for them to tell whether or not their respective business plans have been disrupted.

Last edited:
Wont repeat my stance on the topic but at this point i wish sony microsoft etc would give us an update on their business model for the year.
Good or bad doesnt matter but out of courtesy to us the consumers.

They can say they missed their target window and we shouldnt expect much this year but will update us on the developments.

Thats realy all they have to do.
By now the world knows about the epidemic and there is no shame in admiting the truth.
In fact their honesty would go a long way.

But thats me as a simpleton wishing for once people would do the right thing.

they are publicly traded companies, they will keep it close to the chest so that they don't tank their stocks. just read their quarterly reports (or go to a web site that summarizes it for you)

magnumpy

man you'll be waiting well over 6 months for next gen consoles. covid-19 is a good excuse to explain the "delay" though it's not really a delay this is all been baked into the cake for a long time :(

in the meantime there is always old school ps4/xbox1 games and somehow even older school switch games to fill the time :eek:

nikolino840

man you'll be waiting well over 6 months for next gen consoles. covid-19 is a good excuse to explain the "delay" though it's not really a delay this is all been baked into the cake for a long time :(

in the meantime there is always old school ps4/xbox1 games and somehow even older school switch games to fill the time :eek:
Microsoft bring the new ip on Xbox One

Like it affects 10 million people, yet 10k die (0,1%), plus treament available since decades ago. Coronavirus is something new and way deadlier, in fact, we are seeing that while the number of new cases are growing less and less,
- Covid19 has no reliable test right now, and there does not seem to be a standard test anyway
- I don't want to sound overly alarmist, but in the US (and probably many other places) they did not even test for it systematically until a day or two ago (and this is in like 5 major cities)
- China does a lot of business with Africa, there are no numbers available on this continent, I assume that this is because they have great health care systems over there

I don't think the number of new cases has started to come down yet (well, maybe in China, but then again they apparently forced people back to work a day or so ago), outside China the growth is exponential, which means it doubles every couple of days.

Hopefully it will stop soon, but I see no reason to be so optimistic with all the hard data we have so far.

magnumpy

- Covid19 has no reliable test right now, and there does not seem to be a standard test anyway
- I don't want to sound overly alarmist, but in the US (and probably many other places) they did not even test for it systematically until a day or two ago (and this is in like 5 major cities)
- China does a lot of business with Africa, there are no numbers available on this continent, I assume that this is because they have great health care systems over there

I don't think the number of new cases has started to come down yet (well, maybe in China, but then again they apparently forced people back to work a day or so ago), outside China the growth is exponential, which means it doubles every couple of days.

Hopefully it will stop soon, but I see no reason to be so optimistic with all the hard data we have so far.

honestly it's not clear yet. but yeah, better safe than sorry for now. we'll know more in the fullness of time, which is a bit unsatisfying but well, I mean wait is all you can do. shelter in place I think they call it. definitely big public spaces is a bad idea for now :(

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Haha horse shit. When I read this I wondered, "why, are they holding GDC in China?"

Seems like a convenient copout while they scramble behind the scenes to get their shit together.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Wanna bet that both consoles are coming out this year? I still believe the virus won't stop them

Sony is just throwing excuses because they don't have anything to show

If the virus is the real issue then all of those conventions would be cancelled by now right?

I agree they’re still coming out this year, both of them. And I honestly think Sony is scrambling to come up with a PS5 reveal strategy because of leadership changes in the company and because of rising part costs. There’s a bunch of unknowns and they’re using whatever crutch they can take. That might be seen as cynical, but right now Sony is avoiding consumer media as much as they can because there’s lots of questions they don’t have answers to.

Sakura

This is ridiculous. GDC is in the US. Might as well stop your employees from going to the grocery store if you are that worried.
The flu has a mortality rate of 0.00125% while the CoV has 2.5%.

So basically for every million people infected by the flu only 13 die. As for the Corona 25,000 people will die for every million infected.

The fact that we know what the flu does and we have cures and vaccines for it is also a factor. We don’t have any of that for CoV.

The main reason why the death isn’t as big the flu is because we are consciously containing the virus.
Your numbers don't make any sense. The CDC estimates 14k to 36k people died from current flu season. Even if we use the low number of 14,000 deaths, going by your numbers that would mean there were over a billion flu cases in the US this flu season.
Further more, we don't actually know what the mortality rate of the new coronavirus is, because we don't actually know how many people are infected. People who don't show symptoms, or have very mild symptoms, are likely to be largely under-reported. For example, if you look at the Diamond Princess cruise ship, where virtually everybody has tested, it currently has a fatality rate of 0.3%
Finally, while the death rate for the coronavirus may be higher, you are still more likely to die from the flu, simply because of numbers.

edit: there is also no cure for the flu, and vaccines aren't as effective for it as you probably think they are.

Last edited:

killatopak

This is ridiculous. GDC is in the US. Might as well stop your employees from going to the grocery store if you are that worried.

Your numbers don't make any sense. The CDC estimates 14k to 36k people died from current flu season. Even if we use the low number of 14,000 deaths, going by your numbers that would mean there were over a billion flu cases in the US this flu season.
Further more, we don't actually know what the mortality rate of the new coronavirus is, because we don't actually know how many people are infected. People who don't show symptoms, or have very mild symptoms, are likely to be largely under-reported. For example, if you look at the Diamond Princess cruise ship, where virtually everybody has tested, it currently has a fatality rate of 0.3%
Finally, while the death rate for the coronavirus may be higher, you are still more likely to die from the flu, simply because of numbers.
The Corona virus was right but I was mistaken for the flu yeah. It’s more like 0.1%
Doesn’t matter if it’s in the US since it’s an international event.

The numbers don’t paint the whole picture. The virus is still young and is actively quarantined which bring numbers of infected down. There’s no such thing for the flu. Individually, you would rather much get the flu with 0.1% mortality than cov with 2.5% anyway.

It’s not entirely correct that you would more likely die because numbers. My interpretation is that you’re more likely to get infected by the flu than the Corona virus. The mortality rate is basically the basis for how likely you would die. Besides, we don‘t even know the how long the reach of the virus will be.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
Are these corona virus concerns strictly based on the fact that it's a large gathering of people in one place?

In one respect, I get it, but in another...I don't get it. Every single day people come into contact with any countless number of people. Not showing up at a games industry event is not gonna limit the spread of the virus. If anything, the kind of people attending are the ones who are probably watching out for that shit.

Last edited:

Sakura

The Corona virus was right but I was mistaken for the flu yeah. It’s more like 0.1%
Doesn’t matter if it’s in the US since it’s an international event.

The numbers don’t paint the whole picture. The virus is still young and is actively quarantined which bring numbers of infected down. There’s no such thing for the flu. Individually, you would rather much get the flu with 0.1% mortality than cov with 2.5% anyway.

It’s not entirely correct that you would more likely die because numbers. My interpretation is that you’re more likely to get infected by the flu than the Corona virus. The mortality rate is basically the basis for how likely you would die. Besides, we don‘t even know the how long the reach of the virus will be.
Think about it like this. There have been 0 deaths caused by coronavirus in the US. Meanwhile there have been thousands of deaths caused by the flu. Which do you think is more likely? That you would fall into the camp of coronavirus deaths, or flu deaths?
Because your chance of catching the flu is so so much higher than catching coronavirus, your overall chance of dying from flu is higher than dying from coronavirus. Chance of catching flu combined with chance of dying from flu, is going to by higher than chance of catching coronavirus combined with chance of dying from coronavirus.

There is going to be people everywhere. People who have come from overseas, everywhere. Avoiding one time GDC because you are scared of coronavirus, meanwhile everyone is going outside every single day, is just ridiculous.

killatopak

Think about it like this. There have been 0 deaths caused by coronavirus in the US. Meanwhile there have been thousands of deaths caused by the flu. Which do you think is more likely? That you would fall into the camp of coronavirus deaths, or flu deaths?
Because your chance of catching the flu is so so much higher than catching coronavirus, your overall chance of dying from flu is higher than dying from coronavirus. Chance of catching flu combined with chance of dying from flu, is going to by higher than chance of catching coronavirus combined with chance of dying from coronavirus.

There is going to be people everywhere. People who have come from overseas, everywhere. Avoiding one time GDC because you are scared of coronavirus, meanwhile everyone is going outside every single day, is just ridiculous.
True it does sound a bit paranoid but I kinda understand Sony’s position on this especially with what’s going on in Japan right now.

EMP88

Neophyte
Be in no doubt. Every major conference for the foreseeable future will either be cancelled or majorly affected. Particularly it they involve international travel.

Only today South Korea announced a doubling of cases and a National Emerging. While the virus has also spread to the Middle East.

People get caught up in the number of cases and deaths. As they’re relatively low numbers. But the only way they’ll stay low is by restricting travel and large gatherings.

Events much larger than gaming conventions will be holding their breath. I’m also 50/50 on whether this will affect the console launches. They may technically launch on time. But it seems inevitable there will be stock issues.

Last edited:

magnumpy

the future is a lonely place :(

hopefully this will clear up eventually, I'd hate to think this is just the "new normal" :lollipop_astonished:

Jtibh

Banned
I just read that wuhan is building 19!!!!! more makeshift hospitals.
They built 2 and now they need 19 more??
All while they claim the number of infected has stabelized and barely any new cases are reported?
Yeah the lies oh the lies.

Would like to give my 2 cents as of why i think more and more companies are not coming to events localy or from overseas.
Its not just the concern of getting infected but its more about having to end up in a very long quarantine. People just dont have time for that.
In case of the diamond princess passangers were under quarantine for 2 weeks and upon release and return to their home country again another 2 weeks.
And the more cases are popping up in the world the more likely it is that somehow one will end up in quarantine.

And before anyone calls me a fear monger, my wife is an RN on trauma so i get somewhat first hand information of whats coming and so far the hospital didnt issue any news or warning on the virus.
Its calm for now so i am not up in arms that we will all die tomorrow.

sainraja

I'm not saying this isn't a legitimate reason, but it's also an ironically convenient excuse. If it were such a threat, wouldn't GDC's organizers cancel the event themselves outright? Same with PAX East; they'd cancel it themselves.

Also I'm sure all flights and shipments from China (particularly Wuhan) are being placed under extra quarantine and checks. That'd be the smart thing, never mind the optics. Just feels like it's becoming a convenient excuse at this point for reasons I can't just shake off.

I am guessing it has to do with the international factor. The events you mentioned could likely continue with presence from just U.S. alone.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I’m starting to think this will be the case. PS5 will launch early next year at the earliest.

PS4 has some heavy hitters coming so I wouldn’t be bothered much.
Hmmm would make it easier to buy the next gen consoles separately. I was well on my way to dropping a grand on launch day.

Top Bottom