• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: Bid On Items With Gold Trophies (CFW cheaters winning)

DC1

I have 46 plats ...but only 191 gold trophies :(

I pretty sure that won't win jack!
But great freaken concept!

That's a pretty clever thing to do with achievements.

I agree, though I think the overall sentiment here is spot-on that it would be a much more exciting, and more importantly inclusive, event for Playstation fans if they had opted for a raffle system where 1 Gold Trophy = 1 Raffle ticket as opposed to brute-forcing via an auction.

Having said that, I like the direction that Sony is going in looking for ways to help gamers convert those trophy stacks into tangible goods.

Pejo

Damn this is so cool, good on those that made the most money (presumably) for Sony. Love that they're giving back even a little. I've got a measly 51 golds, maybe i'll win a cup of Kratos saliva or something.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Diablo III Witch Doctor Costume or KZ SF Sniper Outfit looks like the most Trophies spent on it

Then Ass Creed BF Costume, then inFamous Second Son one

This is gonna get crazy, it's already up to 540 Gold Trophies for KZ Outfit, still got 21 hours to fucking go

LiK

it's all cosplay stuff. don't really care if i don't get any. pretty cool they're doing something with trophies.

it kinda feels as though their testing ground right now with this program...

anyone think we might get trophy currency nextgen ;D or trade-ins?

Carl

I agree, though I think the overall sentiment here is spot-on that it would be a much more exciting, and more importantly inclusive, event for Playstation fans if they had opted for a raffle system where 1 Gold Trophy = 1 Raffle ticket as opposed to brute-forcing via an auction.

Having said that, I like the direction that Sony is going in looking for ways to help gamers convert those trophy stacks into tangible goods.

Yeah this would be much better. It'd still be better for top earners, but would include everyone. Whereas now, 99% of PlayStation owners are not gonna stand a chance

Jonboy

The more I think about it...some of us in the 100-300 range may actually have a chance on the last few days.

Basically, you lose the golds whenever you bid, even if you don't win. So currently the 1st item is already up to 541 golds. Just think how many have already burned through a significant number of gold trophies. Say you had 1000 of them and bid 400 to start on the Killzone Black Hand Outtift, then you bid again at 500. That means you've already "spent" 900 of your trophies. So if someone who hasn't bid at all comes along and bids 501...you lose your 900, but they're only out 501.

EDIT: At least I think that's right. Basing it off this quote from the PS Blog. "Of course, you’ll want to think strategically. Spend all your Gold Trophies in one shot to try and score your dream item, or split your proceeds and go for several? The choice is yours."

There's definitely some strategy to it. Can't wait to see what happens as the first one winds down.

EDIT 2: Looks like I'm wrong on this. See GraveRobber's post.

Jon if you get outbid, you get your Gold trophies back to try again

Noisama used all their Gold 460 on the KZ item, got outbid to 540, and got all the Gold Trophies Bids back

So yeah it's not, if you burn them, you burn them
If you get outbid, you lose the item, but gain back your Gold Bidding power, it's almost like they want you to run out and earn more gold trophies ASAP to try to get an item... hehe

whitehawk

Banned
Sony would be smart to do even more promotions like these. It would be one more thing to encourage people to buy multi platform titles on the PS4 instead of XBox One.

x3sphere

CFW blokes will get binned due to the ToS:

It's a lot more vague when it comes to people that buff their trophy stats with the same game multiple times via different region versions. Ultimately, Sony can decide that they are only going to count the trophy set per game, not per version of the game if it's the same, but there isn't anything currently in the ToS that states that.

That's just standard jargon, doesn't mean much. That said, I would hope they spend the time to exclude cheaters from winning.

Jonboy

Are you saying increasing you bid from 400 to 500 costs 900 total?
That's how it reads to me. I mean...I can't figure out why else they would say "Spend all your Gold Trophies in one shot to try and score your dream item, or split your proceeds and go for several? The choice is yours."

GraveRobberX

The more I think about it...some of us in the 100-300 range may actually have a chance on the last few days.

Basically, you lose the golds whenever you bid, even if you don't win. So currently the 1st item is already up to 541 golds. Just think how many have already burned through a significant number of gold trophies. Say you had 1000 of them and bid 400 to start on the Killzone Black Hand Outtift, then you bid again at 500. That means you've already "spent" 900 of your trophies. So if someone who hasn't bid at all comes along and bids 501...you lose your 900, but they're only out 501.

EDIT: At least I think that's right. Basing it off this quote from the PS Blog. "Of course, you’ll want to think strategically. Spend all your Gold Trophies in one shot to try and score your dream item, or split your proceeds and go for several? The choice is yours."

There's definitely some strategy to it. Can't wait to see what happens as the first one winds down.

Noisama used all their Gold 460 on the KZ item, got outbid to 540, and got all the Gold Trophies Bids back

If you get outbid, you lose the item, but gain back your Gold Bidding power, it's almost like they want you to run out and earn more gold trophies ASAP to try to get an item... hehe

That's just standard jargon, doesn't mean much. That said, I would hope they spend the time to exclude cheaters from winning.

True, but I think with Sony keen to continue their Goodwill PR tour that they would want to show far more scrutiny with a community event like this, particularly since the major of the community is DQ'd by default. More eyes on them and all that jazz...

The Lamp

It amazes me how Sony actually adores their fans. They were kind of smug at the beginning of the generation but I think they've humbled a bit in realizing that their fans brought them to where they are, despite their mistakes.

This is an incredible marketing idea and a good way to make those trophies actually worth something.

Polymath

Neo Member
"We are sorry but, you are not eligible to participate based on your location. Bidding is only available to users in the United States of America"

Bummer. sorry for not living in the Unites states Sony :(

Jonboy

Ahh. That sucks then. No chance for me, lol. I'll update my post.

This also begs the question, what in the world are they talking about with "strategy?" Just bid as much as you can on the item you want. If you don't win, just use the bids on another item. Is that right?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I should've whored out for trophies. Fuck. I want that concept art. Oh well.

I bet trophy hunters are very pleased right now.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
This sounds really cool but I doubt I'll have enough golds to actually get anything. Trying to check my number now but it's taking forever to sync up. -_-

138, yeah I'm probably out of the running haha.

GraveRobberX

So this is GraveRobberX appreciation thread now?

No not really, unless I can earn 350 Gold Trophies before Diablo 3 or KZ Sniper, I'm SOL

There's not enough golds to earn with time limit to get anything for me
Even if I start Prince of Persia Trilogy will take me 2 weeks to earn all 24 Gold

LOL

As you can see by my chart, I'm a fucking rollercoaster @ Trophy Whoring month wise

chequiH.png

Chris_C

Agreed, I logged into the site, saw the Helghast sniper outfit was going for 976 trophies (min bid with 18 hours to go), and looked at my 25 Gold trophy haul, realizing this probably wasn't for me. Not much point in ever checking back if all the auctions are going to be similar.

Endo Punk

Not eligible because of location. Bah! Anyway it should be a raffle instead of an auction. It's just too one sided right now, even if I could bid my paltry 77 golds will not get me far. But I gotta say I do love the fact Sony are finally doing something intriguing with the trophies, now if they can only bring it over to Europe. I'm sure this will be huge success for them.

Bishop89

Im a bit confused,
so if i have 150 gold trophies, an item is 50 gold trophies and i purchase it.

Do i then have 100 gold trophies to spend on remaining items or is it pretty much whatever the highest bid is?

Cels

this is a nice gesture, but kind of bummed that only the craziest of the crazy trophy hunters have a real chance at winning anything.

I'm predicting around 1100+ for each winning bid. My measly 99 cannot compare.

morpix

The CFW PS3 crowd are gonna have a field day with this. Even if they went back to Official Firmware, their trophy unlocking will probably still stand.

FlyFaster

om my god this is so cool!

Would love to have some of the Dragonborn skyrim stuff. But.. I don't have a lot of trophies...

edit:

ya I like the raffle idea someone had. Still gives an advantage to those with more trophies but doesn't straight up block most of us out. oh well, still nice of them to do this.

Top Bottom