• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like i'm the only Playstation fan that is not excited for this event lol.

Nah. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be very disappointed next week. I bought a 4k TV and a 4k monitor(for uprendering, duh) last week in anticipation of NEO. My understanding was that there would be a nice leap in visuals and performance compared to ps4. What I'm seeing people say now is that even 1080/60 is likely not going to be norm. I wasn't expecting native 4k but, well, I don't know what I was expecting.

Kyoufu

Nah. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be very disappointed next week. I bought a 4k TV and a 4k monitor(for uprendering, duh) last week in anticipation of NEO. My understanding was that there would be a nice leap in visuals and performance compared to ps4. What I'm seeing people say now is that even 1080/60 is likely not going to be norm. I wasn't expecting native 4k but, well, I don't know what I was expecting.

How about we wait 7 days and find out what Neo offers instead.

icespide

Banned

1080/60 not being the normal has nothing to do with how powerful the console is

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

If you have a 4K TV I reckon you'll be pleased. From the dev docs a key thrust here is to render ps4 games at resolutions that will look good at 4K.

Enhancements at 1080p sounds like a second possibly more optional motivation, be it framerate, IQ, enhanced effects etc.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is a device focused on improving future games. Added BC is not going to be a factor in its design. We may eventually get PS1 support but that'll be for all PS4s, not just Neo.

-griffy-

Banned
You guys, it's been in our face the whole time. Neo is the ONE. PS4 ONE, the all-in-one Playstation entertainment system.

the-one.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If you have a 4K TV I reckon you'll be pleased. From the dev docs a key thrust here is to render ps4 games at resolutions that will look good at 4K.

Enhancements at 1080p sounds like a second possibly more optional motivation, be it framerate, IQ, enhanced effects etc.

This is the nightmare scenario for me.

Wace

Matryoshka... maybe Neo has ability to upgrade/replace innards? So when PS5 arrives there'll be a specific "Neo"-version to be put in the Neo chassis? The way you can replace, dunno, car audiosystem or something.

Crazy, I know, read too much NX threads

This is a device focused on improving future games. Added BC is not going to be a factor in its design. We may eventually get PS1 support but that'll be for all PS4s, not just Neo.

Honestly, that's all I'm hoping for. A decent upgrade in graphics capabilities, a nice premium-looking box and controller, and Playstation Classics. Can't believe we still don't have those on PS4, have purchased so many PS1/2 games on my PS3.

Kyoufu

Matryoshka... maybe Neo has ability to upgrade/replace innards? So when PS5 arrives there'll be a specific "Neo"-version to be put in the Neo chassis? The way you can replace, dunno, car audiosystem or something.

Crazy, I know, read too much NX threads

Modular consoles are the future.

Updated:

The PS4LL must be a premium console
including PSONE,PS2,PS3 BC disc and digital format.
Optical audio for those who miss it on the slim model
All games will be capable of 1080 - 60 FPS
4k at 30 FPS
UHD Disc support
standard Console sells at $399.99
Bundled with PSLIM controller $459.99

#believe

DavidDesu

Honestly, that's all I'm hoping for. A decent upgrade in graphics capabilities, a nice premium-looking box and controller, and Playstation Classics. Can't believe we still don't have those on PS4, have purchased so many PS1/2 games on my PS3.

Maybe at least we'd get in native resolution and potentially higher frame rates like with the PS2 classics whenever the bring PS1 games to the PS4, they're blurry and rough as hell now. Wipeout would still look decent nowadays if it was just crisp and clean.

Come on guys, this BC stuff is practically a full on thread derail. Need to let it go.

That said, I have no idea what this thread is about anymore, so maybe it's irrelevant.

This is the nightmare scenario for me.

The times, they are a changing. Tech moves on. I'm sure people complained about the move to HD as well, but we've come to recognize what a huge step that was. 4k will be similar.

Updated:

4k at 30 FPS
UHD Disc support

#believe

Nurse! Nurse! He's out of bed and using the internet again!

farisr

Yeah guys, it's extremely apparent now that the "feature that hasn't leaked" is actually PS3 BC and that's actually the reason why the box is so big.

lol

Servbot24

Banned
Updated:

4k at 30 FPS
UHD Disc support

#believe

You forgot that it will have UMD and Vita card slots and will come with free PS+.

Why is this thread now about backward compatibility?

I mean, it would be a nice feature to have, but at this point, is anyone really gagging to play their PS3 games again?

The ship has sailed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I mean, it would be a nice feature to have, but at this point, is anyone really gagging to play their PS3 games again?

The ship has sailed.
You can also just get the remastered versions of many of the most notable games anyway.

The ship has sailed.

One person came in and posted like they knew something.

And now that's all anyone is talking about.

Hopefully a mod can come quash it. Or prove there's substance. Either way, it's a waste to talk about.

One off R&D costs, or per chip unit costs?

No idea on an actual figure, but I can say with a high degree of confidence "too much".
One off R&D costs (die shrink) should be high (millions of $$$), but per chip unit cost should be really low (14nm Cell would be really tiny* and low-power).

* http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/AMD-Polaris-7.jpg

Then again, I think they'd also have to license nVidia technology for the RSX. Not sure if Radeon can emulate/run RSX low-level (libGCM) shaders adequately. OG XBOX still hasn't been properly emulated because of the semi-custom GeForce 3. nVidia is a pain in the ass and people still ask for it to be included in future consoles, lol.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
3TF Neo, with 1TF reserved for OtherOS, so you can install emulators, for $349. Gaf's #1 dream console.
With the way some thirst over BC you'd definitely think so wouldn't you?
My personal opinion: BC is a waste of time and resources. In short, fuck BC.

Why would they even bother with PS3 BC at this stage? Specially if they're seriously pushing PS Now.
TBH, PS Now as it is is total crap.

Reasons:

1) $100-180 per year. PS+ is a lot cheaper.

2) 720p30 (there are some 60fps games on the PS3 and even 1080p60 ones)

3) Horrible input lag (encoding latency + decoding + internet latency). PS4 Remote Play is equally as bad, especially for 60fps shooters.

4) 5 Mbps max bitrate (you'll see macroblocking artifacts in fast-paced games)

I'd rather keep my PS3 forever as it is. Not worth it.

icespide

Banned
TBH, PS Now as it is is total crap.

Reasons:

1) $100-180 per year. PS+ is a lot cheaper.

2) 720p30 (there are some 60fps games on the PS3 and even 1080p60 ones)

3) Horrible input lag (encoding latency + decoding + internet latency). PS4 Remote Play is equally as bad, especially for 60fps shooters.

4) 5 Mbps max bitrate (you'll see macroblocking artifacts in fast-paced games)

I'd rather keep my PS3 forever as it is. Not worth it.

I don't think anyone is trying to argue that PS Now is just as good as native BC

The ship has sailed.

I definitely am. My PS3 broke before I could finish some of my backlog. I'd rather get a more powerful PS4 than a new PS3 to play them, though. Much better investment.

I'm not sure what else this thread could possibly be about other tan speculation, considering it's for a product that doesn't exist yet.

I don't care that it's speculation, and this thread is all over the place anyway, as I said in the post your quoted. But rampant speculation about BC is silly just because some random person made a comment that it would be in there.

I guess there are just more interesting things to speculate about. But given the number of pages we're on, I'm sure there isn't any ground left to cover at this point.

I probably just need to stop refreshing this thread. We'll be back to making wildly unrealistic price predictions before long.

holy shit people, let the BC dream die already. it's not happening

If they wasted resources on PS3 BC I'm gonna be passed.

BC is a waste of time .
It not worth the space it would take up in system or the price it would add.

WTF!!!! I don't get this obsession with BC that some GAF members have. Keep your old console and play the old games on it if you really treasure it so much. Option 2, get PSNow to play older games if you love those old games so much.

I hope Sony or others don't waste time/money on a non-factor like BC which I doubt many people even use it much. I rather they spend those resources on a better hardware/OS/features on the new console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom