• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

Haha what? Your kidding right? Seriously don't get your hopes up when high end gaming PC'S can hardly handle native 4K as it is.

Please tell me what games you expect to run in native 4K as well as have the graphical qualities of a PS4 made game.

Remasters of what? PS2 games? At this point nearly all Remasters have been made that are worth remaking so we might seem crash Bandicoot at 4K (a PS1 game) but don't expect Mass Effect to be 4K native.

Madden , NBA 2K & more

Kyoufu

I can see The Last Guardian being rendered in 4K natively. It's a PS3 game, graphically.

EA's sports games should be in 4K too if EA gives a shit.

Theonik

So updating games to include higher resolution textures, lighting quality and asset quality will be thrown out the window, instead to render the original at 1440p and downscale? Don't be daft.
It depends on the developers. They decide how they power is used, and it's a matter of cost. It's significantly cheaper to do increased rendering resolution than to create new assets though said assets can be brought over from existing PC ports. It's not daft, Sony recommends this approach.

I can see The Last Guardian being rendered in 4K natively. It's a PS3 game, graphically.
I'm not really sure about that. The PS3 was never powerful enough to run it. Sony actually sped up the footage in their famous reveal trailer to seem full framerate but the game was a slideshow running in real time.
It's one of the reasons it was so delayed. PS4 fared better.

e:
Please read what I said. I didn't say it wouldn't be powerful enough but the remasters worth making have already been done with a couple left to come out.
There is the upcoming FFXII remaster to consider as well as possible Mass Effect Remasters. There is also opportunity to do a new SoTC remaster for TLG since BC is lost though they might use it for PS Now instead. KH too for KH3. There is still lots of remasters to be made that are made worthwhile by new sequels being made.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Indie games most likely and even then there will be a 1080p option. I can guarantee that no AAA game will be pushing native 4K.

Edit: What games do you think will be pushing 4K exactly? Apart from a few Indie games?

Most indie games will be pushing 4K on NEO IMO, don't see why they would not be.

If we're talking boxed products? Off the top of my head, i expect in the KH 2.8 collection, there will be a patch for NEO to run DDD in native 4K and ifthey make a KH .5 collection of 1.5 and 2.5, that will be in full 4K as well. I expect FF12 to be native 4K as well.

I expect basically every 7th gen remaster to run in 4K as well, i expect Japanese PSvita to PS4 enhanced ports like Toukiden to run in 4K,among plenty others i cant think of right now

Venom Fox

Banned
Madden , NBA 2K & more
They won't be 4K native I can guarantee it.
It depends on the developers. They decide how they power is used, and it's a matter of cost. It's significantly cheaper to do increase rendering resolution than to create new assets though said assets can be brought over from existing PC ports. It's not daft, Sony recommends this approach.
Assets won't have to be re made though. Where are you getting this idea from? They will already have the higher quality assets etc made so it'd be more cost effective just swapping them out. Sony haven't even announced the Neo yet and that leaked document only talks about downscaling as a form of generating better IQ.

Kyoufu

I'm not really sure about that. The PS3 was never powerful enough to run it. Sony actually sped up the footage in their famous reveal trailer to seem full framerate but the game was a slideshow running in real time.
It's one of the reasons it was so delayed. PS4 fared better.

That doesn't line up with what I've heard and it doesn't make sense because the game doesn't look very taxing on the GPU. I mean, have you seen the game?

Venom Fox

Banned
Most indie games will be pushing 4K on NEO IMO, don't see why they would not be.

If we're talking boxed products? Off the top of my head, i expect in the KH 2.8 collection, there will be a patch for NEO to run DDD in native 4K.

I expect basically every 7th gen remaster to run in 4K as well, i expect Japanese PSvita to PS4 enhanced ports like Toukiden to run in 4K,among plenty others i cant think of right now
Wtf? I already said Indie games will. You quoted the post I said in ffs.

Remasters of low quality games probably will but don't expect the devs to update old ports because it'll be a waste of time, effort and money.

Inuhanyou

Wtf? I already said Indie games will. You quoted the post I said in ffs.

Remasters of low quality games probably will but don't expect the devs to update old ports because it'll be a waste of time, effort and money.

I am just listing the kinds of games i expect to be run in 4K or 1800p. I expect 1800p a lot more than 4K though.

Venom Fox

Banned
Those expecting every other game to render in native 4K are going to be very disappointed... honestly I'd rather just wait instead of trying to tell you otherwise.

Literally the only games that will be 4K are the remasters that are left to come out and Indie titles.

Edit AAA titles on the Neo will just be 1080p native with high quality lighting, textures etc.

Theonik

That doesn't line up with what I've heard and it doesn't make sense because the game doesn't look very taxing on the GPU. I mean, have you seen the game?
You'd say that but:
Q: What are some of the challenges that delayed development? Was there ever a point where you were close to cancelling it?

Shuhei Yoshida: The game was originally made for PS3 and we announced it in 2009 at E3. The trailer we showed was running on the engine but not at the performance, the game had a much lower framerate so we sped it up to look like it was running at 30 frames per second for the video. But the team has really really struggled to get the game running at the performance it needed and some features went missing so there are lots of technical challenges that they were going through. They spent lots of time porting the code to SPUs to make it faster but not quite at the pace that was required.
[...]
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-06-29-the-last-guardian-we-have-to-deliver-we-have-extra-pressure

Assets won't have to be re made though. Where are you getting this idea from? They will already have the higher quality assets etc made so it'd be more cost effective just swapping them out. Sony haven't even announced the Neo yet and that leaked document only talks about downscaling as a form of generating better IQ.
It talks about downsampling as a form of generating better IQ as well as higher than 1080p rendering for 4K displays. It is how Sony intends the system to be used though devs are free to do as they please as long as the Neo version both runs faster and with at least 1080p resolution.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Going by leaked documents, not even Sony are expecting many native 2160p games. They advise on 1800p.
They advise at least 1800p since below that you don't see huge gains over 1080p on a 4K display. They're heavily pushing reconstruction and are even offering help to devs who can't hit at least 1800p using it.

I think we'll see a lot of reconstruction being used by AAA games.

I would love to see Inside at 4K/HDR. Neo could easily handle that.

onQ123

If a game can run in 1080P on a Xbox One with a 1.32TF GPU from ~ 2013 why wouldn't it be able to run 4K on a Neo with a 4.2TF GPU from ~2016?

it's over 3X raw power plus efficiency gained from the newer tech.

jayu26

Will you guys stop saying this. If PS3 could run that game it would have been released on PS3. The whole reason it did not release earlier and on PS3 is that PS3 could not run that game. Even on PS4 there have been concerns about its framerate, which hopefully will get fixed before released.

Kyoufu

I don't know if they will be but a game like FIFA runs in native 4K on PCs very easily.

It's down to EA if they want to bother spending any time on the Neo version and honestly, there's no way to tell if developers will give a shit right now.

Inuhanyou

If a game can run in 1080P on a Xbox One with a 1.32TF GPU from ~ 2013 why wouldn't it be able to run 4K on a Neo with a 4.2TF GPU from ~2016?

It would be cool to see rise of the tomb raider run at something like 1800p, since it ran at 1080p even on XB1.

but the benchmarks looking at PC make it clear that even just 1440p would be too much

I wonder if fighting games will get patch for 4k.
All of them should be able to reach it IMO .

Any one have them on PC how much power does it take ?

onQ123

Those expecting every other game to render in native 4K are going to be very disappointed... honestly I'd rather just wait instead of trying to tell you otherwise.

Literally the only games that will be 4K are the remasters that are left to come out and Indie titles.

Edit AAA titles on the Neo will just be 1080p native with high quality lighting, textures etc.

I bet you're wrong

Venom Fox

Banned

Because they will be pushing higher quality assets and graphical techniques that come with gained efficiency. Things become more efficient which leaves you with more power spare which in turn gets filled up with better looking techniques.

I bet you're wrong
I bet I'm not. I can almost certainly tell you I won't be wrong in terms of pushing native 4K I'm AAA games.

Kyoufu

Will you guys stop saying this. If PS3 could run that game it would have been released on PS3. The whole reason it did not release earlier and on PS3 is that PS3 could not run that game. Even on PS4 there have been concerns about its framerate, which hopefully will get fixed before released.

Well, yeah, I'm sure frame rate won't be great no matter what resolution it ends up being rendered in. The ICO games don't have a great track record in performance, remasters included.

Elios83

Going by leaked documents, not even Sony are expecting many native 2160p games. They advise on 1800p.

Yep but it won't be difficult for games not pushing graphics (2D titles, games with PS3 level 3D graphics) to be 4K native, it will depend on the particular game.
It will be interesting to see what Sony's first party studios will be able to achieve, they have titles like Uncharted 4 with state of the art graphics, The Last Guardian has clearly PS3 origins, Polyphony with Gran Turismo has always pushed the highest resolution possible on Playstation consoles while still having impressive graphics and then they also have GR2 coming out this year.

Kyoufu

Yep but it won't be difficult for games not pushing graphics (2D titles, games with PS3 level 3D graphics) to be 4K native, it will depend on the particular game.
It will be interesting to see what Sony's first party studios will be able to achieve, they have titles like Uncharted 4 with state of the art graphics, The Last Guardian has clearly PS3 origins, Polyphony with Gran Turismo has always pushed the highest resolution possible on Playstation consoles while still having impressive graphics and then they also have GR2 coming out this year.

Gran Turismo Sport could be a flagship Neo showcase title. They've already confirmed that car photos will be in 4K. I wouldn't be surprised if they showed it running entirely in 4K at the Meeting event.

Japanese mid-tier games shouldn't have a problem either, like World of Final Fantasy.

Venom Fox

Banned
The blatant disregard of what people and even Sony themselves are saying is frankly annoying.

Edit: Sony themselves have stated that devs might have a hard time hitting NATIVE 4K (native 4k being something which I feel people aren't taking into account) and recommend that they hit a lower target like 1800p etc.

Inuhanyou

I wonder if fighting games will get patch for 4k.
All of them should be able to reach it IMO .

Any one have them on PC how much power does it take ?

I don't think that makes sense. Maybe guity gear and DOA5 and such, but not Tekken 7 or things like that

onQ123

Because they will be pushing higher quality assets and graphical techniques that come with gained efficiency. Things become more efficient which leaves you with more power spare which in turn gets filled up with better looking techniques.

I bet I'm not. I can almost certainly tell you I won't be wrong in terms of pushing native 4K I'm AAA games.

So what happens when Tekken 7 is 4K on Neo?

thuway

Thinking about it, Neo needs to be good, `enough'at a mainstream price point. If Sony can make a convincing image with checkerboard rendering and the higher quality effects at 399, it'll be a very fun ride going forward.

Also as a guy whose played 4k and 1600p back to back, the jump in quality from 1600 to 4k is not nearly enough to matter to most of us. 1600p kills most jaggies but the most feral.

Framerate stability, HDR, texture filtering, and quality effects will make the most difference. 1600p should be good enough.

onQ123

The blatant disregard of what people and even Sony themselves are saying is frankly annoying.

Edit: Sony themselves have stated that devs might have a hard time hitting NATIVE 4K (native 4k being something which I feel people aren't taking into account) and recommend that they hit a lower target like 1800p etc.

1800p is closer to 4K than 1080P so how is people thinking that some games will be 4K any more annoying than you saying that AAA games will only be 1080P with better effects?

4K up scaled maybe but not native 4K.

There's a big difference.
Edit: It's took a GTX 1080 to push native 4K on PC so what were you saying about native 4K on Neo...

Still that card could be over kill for tekken or they could always turn down stuff for the consoles version .
Going to be interesting to see what some devs do .

Also Venom if you are making a bet you should at least wait until Neo specs out lol.

Theonik

4K up scaled maybe but not native 4K.

There's a big difference.
Edit: It's took a GTX 1080 to push native 4K on PC so what were you saying about native 4K on Neo...
I was not saying that most developers, especially not AAA developers might opt for native 4K. The Neo isn't powerful enough to do that for games that were pushing the PS4 to its limits at 1080p given that it needs to be able to push at least 4x more pixels to do that. I was saying that Sony expects most developers to try higher than 1080p rendering. There is a number of approaches for developers to try, there are some usecases for native 4K though to take into account. Read what I said. There are a lot of non-western, non AAA games that don't even have a PC version to get assets from nor the resources/budget to dedicate resources in making high quality assets. Those games might opt for bumping the res instead.

Venom Fox

Banned
1800p is closer to 4K than 1080P so how is people thinking that some games will be 4K any more annoying than you saying that AAA games will only be 1080P with better effects?
Wow. You have not read what I am saying. The original and current argument is about Neo pushing 4K NATIVE (notice the capitalisation). 1800p is not native 4K.

Inuhanyou

I wonder about SFV .
KOFXIV for certain should be able to go 4k .
Tekken is the only one i can see giving trouble .

I can see 1440p for Tekken 7, with some good SMAA. Infact i think that's generally what all AAA games should run with, 1440p and great SMAA...if not checkerboard rendering.

Venom Fox

Banned
Still that card could be over kill for tekken or they could always turn down stuff for the consoles version .
Going to be interesting to see what some devs do .

Also Venom if you are making a bet you should at least wait until Neo specs out lol.
Nah I'll take it now. :)
I was not saying that most developers, especially not AAA developers might opt for native 4K. The Neo isn't powerful enough to to that for games that were pushing the PS4 to its limits at 1080p given that it needs to be able to push at least 4x more pixels to do that. I was saying that Sony expects most developers to try higher than 1080p rendering. There is a number of approaches for developers to try, there are some usecases for native 4K though to take into account. Read what I said. There are a lot of non-western, non AAA games that don't even have a PC version to get assets from nor the resources/budget to dedicate resources in making high quality assets. Those games might opt for bumping the res instead.
True. I guess that for games where there isn't any higher quality assets etc they will push for 4K. I wonder how that will pan out? Just bump the rez like your saying?

Wow. You have not read what I am saying. The original and current argument is about Neo pushing 4K NATIVE (notice the capitalisation). 1800p is not native 4K.
So here's a question (not rhetorical). Let's say Neo does 1800p with reconstruction rather than native 4k. How likely do you think it is that you'll be able to tell the difference without a pixel counter telling you?

Venom Fox

Banned
So here's a question (not rhetorical). Let's say Neo does 1800p with reconstruction rather than native 4k. How likely do you think it is that you'll be able to tell the difference without a pixel counter telling you?
Does it matter though? It still won't be native 4K which my argument is about. Thats the only thing I'm trying to say.

There'll be a slight difference to native 4K but it'll still look a shit ton better.

Edit: My post sounds confrontational lmao. It's really not meant to. :)

Love you all really!

Here's a discussion some devs were having about how to handle the resolution with Scorpio

doom1huqbr.png

doom205om0.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom