• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Meeting keeps leaking: PS Now coming to PC

sheamus

I wonder if there's a way to add advertisements to play ps now. As a way to introduce a free version of the service like Spotify

This is a test to see if there is true interest in Sony exclusives on PC. In a few years, many of the top Sony exclusives will also be available on Steam.

klaushm

I wonder if there's a way to add advertisements to play ps now. As a way to introduce a free version of the service like Spotify

There is always a way to put ads, but don't raise your hopes it would give you a free service. More like... Pay less to use with ads.

This is a test to see if there is true interest in Sony exclusives on PC. In a few years, many of the top Sony exclusives will also be available on Steam.

For me, it aligns with what Shu was told: Shuhei Yoshida reportedly unsure if there will be a PS5

Kibbles

I have a good 5GHz router and everything and even local game streaming to my Shield TV isn't that great, I can't imagine streaming through internet.

Will test a free trial though, would this support a Xbone controller or would I need to hook up a PS4 controller?

meanspartan

Everything is leaking except what I really want to know - PS Neo release date.

(I moved in with my GF last month, and my two brothers have been kind enough to let me hold onto our shared PS4 for now. I am going to buy my own, but am waiting to see when Neo is launching. If it is October/November, I'll wait for it. If it is Spring or later, I'll have to buy a used Ps4 or something in the meantime.)

Here's what the adapter looks like

CqkAzstUIAQge-U.jpg:large

Zalman

Sony went third-party, confirmed!

Really interesting move, could raise awareness of Sony's brand and games significantly.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So ps now is available on Windows from tomorrow in UK, Belgium and the Netherlands. Guess I'll see if I can use the UK service.

Guymelef

Here are the recommended specs for running PS Now on your PC:
Windows 7 (SP1), 8.1 or 10
3.5 GHz Intel Core i3 or 3.8 GHz AMD A10 or faster
300 MB or more; 2 GB or more of RAM
Sound card; USB port

firelogic

Man, all these BC 'solutions' and they all avoid the 3-4 games from last gen I really want to play again...

Good for that person who uses PSNow to some extent though, I guess

It's not BC. There are tons of people around the world that never owned a PS2/PS3 you know. Also people who aren't into gaming can just subscribe and pickup a controller and try it out at very low cost. And if people who have the games already sign up, that's just gravy. Besides, this is just a beta test for when the future Playstation is completely an online delivery service where all you need to do is buy a controller and a small set-top box.

I'm glad to see that they announced this! I'll definitely pick up a wireless adapter once I get my new PC.

I wonder if they wanted to announce this today. It could have been planned or it could be that the leak forced their hand. If it was the latter then we might soon see the press release for the PS4 redesign.

I honestly can't tell what's the end goal for Sony with this.

Building datacenters based on ps3 feels like a dead end, because I doubt they will flood the world with datacenters that are only good for playing ps3 games, and on the other hand, if they move to "regular" servers they lose the ability to play ps3 games...

They could drop ps3 support in favor of ps4 games, but that doesn't seem a smart decision given the current implementation of the service.

In short, it's a service I don't see growing unless they change it up completely.

Sotha_Sil

It's not BC. There are tons of people around the world that never owned a PS2/PS3 you know. Also people who aren't into gaming can just subscribe and pickup a controller and try it out at very low cost. And if people who have the games already sign up, that's just gravy. Besides, this is just a beta test for when the future Playstation is completely an online delivery service where all you need to do is buy a controller and a small set-top box.

They're going to be really disappointed if that's the case. Not many PC gamers are going to pay to rent last-gen games that can only run at last-gen framerates, resolutions, loading times, etc.

Someone remind me if the Dualshock 4 is already officially supported on PC because of the Remote Play client? There was some fuss after the Windows 10 Anniversary Update about how Sony still hasn't put out official drivers for the DS4, but I can't remember if that's just for XInput support/emulation (i.e. Xbox 360 controller emulation) or not. Would this wireless adapter change anything in that regard, and could that stuff trickle back down to wired connections?

NoKisum

At this rate, everyone's gonna be severely pissed at the meeting because they had "absolutely nothing new to show". Might as well call it off and just do a cheaper press release.

klaushm

Does it really surprise you that Sony doesn't want to say anything about the PS5 when at the time Yoshida said that he also knew that they were working on an upgraded PS4?

Nope. It doesn't surprise me. I just keep my window of possibilities open.
Doing upgraded PS4s still keeps the possibility to PS5, as it's somewhat following mobile, delivering new hardware in shorter time.

The PS5 been an "if", I personally keep it as they looking more to PS Now and that they wouldn't need to care on making hardware. PS Now can't be used by many, since most people wouldn't have the required connection, or would have a problem with data caps, or other problems that didn't popup in my mind now. That's why I think it's said an "if" and not a "no".

I could and I'm probably wrong, but, I still belive in it.

oSoLucky

Please make sure that you look at a CURRENT list before deciding to sub. There were a few rental only games that never made the transition when the service became sub only and therefore some of the lists online are outdated. Luckily I got a good deal on another PS3 but PSNow was a big part of me letting it go in the first place.

Games that I found out the hard way aren't part of the service anymore:

Catherine
Lightning Returns(and the whole FF13 trilogy, but if you already have a PC and no NG+ save like me it's an easy choice)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma

That's all that I personally found, but I'm sure there are more. On the other hand, there are big dumps of new games to the service every so often like the big JRPG one that got the Disgaea/Atelier games.

Maybe not the right place to ask, but since there is going to be an official PS adapter for PC...does that mean we will get official DS4 drivers?

I mainly use an X1 pad but would be great to have options.

If this was really going to be announced at the PS Meeting, then I really wonder what they deem "news conference" worthy.

Looks like it was just supposed to be posted online though.

eerik9000

If this was really going to be announced at the PS Meeting, then I really wonder what they deem "news conference" worthy.

Looks like it was just supposed to be posted online though.

Playstation Meeting is to announce new hardware, Playstation Now is a software service that's been around for years. ;)

Playstation Meeting is to announce new hardware, Playstation Now is a software service that's been around for years. ;)
I'm sure there will be software at this event. Sure, it won't be an entree, but it's kind of impossible to even explain why you need a Neo if you don't show software on it. Wouldn't be surprised if a new game were shown.

Nope. It doesn't surprise me. I just keep my window of possibilities open.
Doing upgraded PS4s still keeps the possibility to PS5, as it's somewhat following mobile, delivering new hardware in shorter time.

The PS5 been an "if", I personally keep it as they looking more to PS Now and that they wouldn't need to care on making hardware. PS Now can't be used by many, since most people wouldn't have the required connection, or would have a problem with data caps, or other problems that didn't popup in my mind now. That's why I think it's said an "if" and not a "no".

I could and I'm probably wrong, but, I still belive in it.

I'm not saying that streaming isn't something that Sony's looking at in the future. But I think that future is a long ways away. We aren't even at the point where console manufacturers or console gamers are willing to drop discs, so there's no way in hell they're going to be okay with having to stream everything. That obviously doesn't even get into the issues of poor connections, data caps, or connections dropping randomly which would obviously get really annoying.

eerik9000

I'm sure there will be software at this event. Sure, it won't be an entree, but it's kind of impossible to even explain why you need a Neo if you don't show software on it. Wouldn't be surprised if a new game were shown.

Of course there will be. I'm just implying this PS Now platform expansion would not have been a part of that Meeting anyway.

I think a lot of people are getting confused by what Now is.
It's still going to look like a subpar ps3 game because tour just streaming a ps3 game, nothing gets upgraded for pc..

PC Gaf really done it this time. They waited patiently biding their time for an all out attack. 8th Gen shall be known as the rise of PC.

MS saying it's opening up exclusives to PC, now Sony saying they're going to make PS Now available to PC users. But I don't really see it as any indication of being concerned about the future console business.

It's still a walled garden and Steam, or anyone else, isn't going to get a 30% cut.

fvng

Didn't eurogamer or some other site test PS Now and in some games performance was improved? Not substantially but enough to be noticeable

Top Bottom