• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Mobile powers a fan-made tech demo of remote play Left 4 Dead on Vita

drspeedy

Um, isn't this just PSPdisp created with PS Mobile? If so, it's been done.

PSPdisp let's you control your PC via a PSP on CFW. I've used it several times to stream videos to my PSP in another room, and have even played PCSX2 via it. I've no doubt L4D would work without problems too.

I have the same question - I mean, there's CFW for the PSP to work and all, but does this have a better framerate or add any features above what PSPDisp has?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXhScxRNih0

Okay, and this could be Sony sanctioned, there's that...

Grokbu

Without custom control mapping you are incredibly limited. Left click is a tap on the screen, which also shifts the view so its impossible to control, and no right-click so Minecraft is unplayable. The guy obviously modded his own code on the fly to get those L4D vids working, which is fine, its his code.
Well for Minecraft for example, you can simply change button mapping in the game's settings. I imagine he did the same thing with L4D.

But yeah, it'd be really nice if some on the fly button mapping was implemented at some stage.

MrCow

i think i have done everything right up to the point where i have to enter the ip:

so the bubble opens and gives me an address but no port?

i use the standart port but then i only get a black screen

Afrikan

Stil getting low frame rates...17ish to almost 20.

Disabled areo
Desktop rez is at 800x600
Correct ip address

Laptop has 6gb of ram. (71 process running...none of those a biggie mostly toshiba bs.)

So i don't know what else there could be...i've moved both devices closer to the access point..lol. no luck

Team Fortress was semi playable...20fps upped mouse acceleration and responsivness...later clicked gamepad controls...upped the settings on those.

I don't think its the games that cause the low framerate, because i can just be on the desktop and it would still be in the mid to high teens.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
You sure you plugged it in right? Normally this should be less than a minute. After 20 minutes, mine is usually close to 50% recharged. The Vita is probably the fastest charging device I own, after my old iPod Toch 3 8gb (which has a tiny battery that drains in no time)

Maybe my Vita/Charger is busted. It takes about 3 hours to charge.

test_account

XP-39C²
Maybe my Vita/Charger is busted. It takes about 3 hours to charge.
I think that the standard recharge time is around 2-3 hours. No idea why it takes 20 minutes for you to be able to boot it when starting a recharge though. Try to hold down the power button for some time, maybe it will start faster then.

Afrikan

There's a virtual viewport digitising and converting desktop pixels into network image traffic, as well as input from the vita to process. As well as the game itself. Or some shit like that.
Laptop? I'm surprised you'd be getting that high.
CPU speed and network quality are always going to be a complete lImiter with this thing.

Oh so everyone else who are getting 45-65fps have powerful PCs huh...damn.

My laptop is an amd quad core a6 :D ....... :( but it did get a 6.5 score for vista's graphics stuff.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

edit- ok, I forgot I was getting greedy with server settings...I had everything maxed out... so I lowered image quality to 75....and some other stuff, and I'm getting about 30fps and sometimes higher for Just Cause 2 beta.

Afrikan

Also anyone else get this to work with Just Cause 2 multiplayer beta?

I got it working (again 17-20fps for me) and i mapped the controls for the face pads....only thing i can't get working is trying to get the right stick to act as the mouse...like it is suppose to do by default. It doesn't seem to want to use it. But the mouse pad on the laptop works fine.

Either way it seems fun to use....also i don't have a pc game pad or a 360 controller, but the vita works fine as one...minus not being able to look around. I'll try to restart everything.

Aurizen

ok i got the app running how can i get FFX running full screen on my vita? and have the controls on my vita working?

plasmasd

Just an update in case anyone is wondering. All Valve games correctly respond to the right stick as a mouse. If you have a fast enough computer, the results can be excellent.

Half Life 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmw-sm6Jmao

Team Fortress 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHNmNcBD0W0

The onscreen fps doesn't always match up with what you are seeing on screen. But if you look at your computer monitor while playing. There is no lag with the controls to the PC, meaning you could easily play games on your computer with the Vita as a controller if you so desired.

kodt

Banned
I did a test with VVVVV, was getting about 28 FPS. It was playable. Set my screen resolution to 800x600 / otherwise I could not control what section of the screen it captured well. Sometimes it would be offset.

Many people recommend disabling Areo, but wouldn't disabling explorer all together be even better?

---------------------

Also, I guess this guy has released an improved version:

http://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/wocip/hi_releasing_an_improved_remote_desktop_better/

---------------------

Another possibility to improve performance (if your computer is also connected wirelessly) is to make your computer a mobile hotspot. This way you could have your vita connect directly to your PC instead of to your AP/Router. If your PC is hardwired to the router then I doubt this would provide much of an improvement, but possibly.

http://www.connectify.me/

kodt

Banned
Messed around with the updated version released by Downsider (linked two posts up).

Using the PPJoy driver and Xpadder you can create any mappings you would like. This worked quite well to get workable control schemes.

Half-Life and Counter-Strike would often freeze or crash. VVVVV works, I don't have many games on this machine (Laptop).

The entire program would often freeze with a screen quality of 95%, it was more reliable at 50%. I am on a laptop with a Core i5, 4GB ram, and Intel HD 3000 graphics, so I can't expect too much. I will try on my Desktop later on and the performance should be better. Also, my laptop is connected wirelessly, so it is going Laptop -(wireless)-> Router -(wireless)-> Vita. If I was using a hardwired PC it should reduce latency.

Some tips:

1. Change your screen resolution to 800x600 before launching the server, otherwise the view may be offset.

2. If it is freezing often, then reduce the capture size or screen quality.

3. If you are getting a black screen when you connect, then try turning off your Vita and turning it back on. That has always fixed that issue for me.

GrizzNKev

Banned
When I try to launch the server, I get this .NET Framework exception message:

Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.

I also get a black screen when trying to connect to both my desktop and laptop.

Downsider's server also crashes immediately when I launch it. He claimed to have fixed it but it still doesn't work. Nothing works. Ugh.

kodt

Banned
When I try to launch the server, I get this .NET Framework exception message:

I also get a black screen when trying to connect to both my desktop and laptop.

Downsider's server also crashes immediately when I launch it. He claimed to have fixed it but it still doesn't work. Nothing works. Ugh.

Do you have the .NET framework installed? Version 3.5?

Whenever I had the black screen problem restarting my Vita would fix it.

Also, when you launch the servers, try Right Clicking and Run as Administrator.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Do you have the .NET framework installed? Version 3.5?

Whenever I had the black screen problem restarting my Vita would fix it.

Also, when you launch the servers, try Right Clicking and Run as Administrator.

I've done all of these things. Still no luck.

Edit: Forget that, I just installed Windows 8 clean and got it working. Pretty awesome, gonna try Downsider's version now.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Bumping again with a question: How do I get it to display fullscreen games? When I set something to fullscreen, the display stops working.

GrizzNKev

Banned
You can't.
The server is reliant on a window to capture a portion of the screenbuffer that Windows uses (a buffer that Aero also accesses, so turning it off is a huge help).
When you go full screen the game bypasses that and goes through the graphic cards screenbuffer, so the server can't see shit.
Even if he redirected the capture code to access the directX buffer (which will speed it up apparently, WIP), you'd still only get a portion of the screen on the Vita.

edit: man, i just saw that you are using Win8. All bets are off, ALL bets.

It's working reasonably well on 8, but my framerate never gets above 30 ingame. When I switch a game to fullscreen the input still works and the framerate display on the Vita rises to 60, but of course then there's nothing being captured. I'm just wondering how other people are getting 60fps even though I've followed everyone's advice and have a pretty powerful computer.

I figured fullscreen wouldn't work since I understand the basics of the program, but other people in the thread and other places that are talking about this make several mentions of running games fullscreen. According to other forums, setting your screen resolution to 800x600 before launching the server and then capturing at 800x600 allows for fullscreen to be possible. I've tried this and it doesn't work.

One more question: When I play a game, the mouse shows up in the middle of the screen on the Vita but not on my computer. How do I fix this?

Septimus

Slightly off-topic but it got me curious. Is there any way to remote steam games from your PC to your Mac laptop?

Vanilla RDC won't do it, unless there's some settings I'm missing.

Afrikan

Just an update in case anyone is wondering. All Valve games correctly respond to the right stick as a mouse. If you have a fast enough computer, the results can be excellent.

Half Life 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmw-sm6Jmao

Team Fortress 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHNmNcBD0W0

The onscreen fps doesn't always match up with what you are seeing on screen. But if you look at your computer monitor while playing. There is no lag with the controls to the PC, meaning you could easily play games on your computer with the Vita as a controller if you so desired.

anyone figure out why some games respond to the right stick, while others don't?

right now, Just Cause 2, GTA4, Arma2...a few more don't work for me.

is it just something that Valve is doing? or the way the original dude wrote the code....maybe mainly for Valve games initially.

GrizzNKev

Banned
A major update by PS Community member Retr0Zelda:

I added mappable keys/ analog sticks, a change to how the touch screen works, updated the resolutions to be based off your computer, and a few other tweaks to the client and server. There are still a few things I have yet to do, but I figured I would share now for opinions and stuff. Next up on my list are the not-implemented things, a bug where the other clead doesnt close, and then settings saving/loading.

original

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Community-Lounge/PS-Vita-Remote-Desktop/td-p/16562147/page/29

Download the latest version

Comment out line 14 of AppMain.cs before installing the new client to your Vita:

PrApS.png

Instructions for fixing the error you might encounter when running the new server:

Ok, wierd story. So I went along, deployed the new project to the vita, went fine after I input my IP for convienency sake, but when I was going for the Server, there was a problem I found. It was looking for some folder in the AppData/Roaming folder called VitaRemote. Then it refused to remap buttons or settings. I moved the debug/bin exe to the main server folder to replace the old server exe that came with melfice's original server package and opened it up, same thing. So for those who get this error, do these things:

1) Move the exe in the "Extracted"/VitaRemoteServer/VitaRemoteServer/bin/Debug to "Extracted"/VitaRemotesERVER (Essentially the main folder for the server project.

2) Go to C:/Users/Owner/AppData(Hidden)/Roaming and create a folder EXACTLY CALLED "VitaRemote" (Without quotes, of course)

3)After making "VitaRemote", go inside it and make a new text document. Name whatever, but then open it in any text editior. Go to File->Save As... and save it as (again) EXACTLY "GlobalSettings.DAT" (Make sure the DAT is in the file name. Otherwise the message will pursue!), then go to save format and select "All Files". This will make sure to save it as whatever format you typed in the file name. Save.

4) Now go back to the Server folder where the exe is. Open it, It will give you an error. Ignore it, then close. If you exit smoothly, your done. You now go into the exe and everything works without errors.

Your welcome.

My general impressions include a somewhat improved framerate, and the custom key mappings work but do not save in this version. Start and Select seem not to work either. It's not perfect yet but we're getting there.

legacyzero

Banned
Bookmarking the SHIT out of this thread.

Another amazing reason to own a Vita. Sony really needs to embrace this kind of thing :(

GrizzNKev

Banned
Bookmarking the SHIT out of this thread.

Another amazing reason to own a Vita. Sony really needs to embrace this kind of thing :(

Yeah, this is what prompted me to buy a Vita. It's nice to see people haven't given up on this yet. My dream was to use it for Dark Souls so I can play in my bed at night.

GrizzNKev

Banned
D^8 Oh sh*t !

Does it map touchscreen gestures to mouse movement ? If so, I would like to try the old Warcraft games.

You can click and drag with the touchscreen, but be warned, anything in a high resolution will lag like mad. Also, in this version the capture area is locked to the top left.

patsu

You can click and drag with the touchscreen, but be warned, anything in a high resolution will lag like mad. Also, in this version the capture area is locked to the top left.

Sony needs to work with him on a Gaikai PC module for this client. ^_^

Ran rp

Anyone else having lock up issues? The old server used to freeze within the app but now my entire Vita locks up.

GrizzNKev

Banned
PSY・S;41355842 said:
Anyone else having lock up issues? The old server used to freeze within the app but now my entire Vita locks up.

No, I haven't encountered that issue with this version.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Anybody know if this will still work if we update to new vita firmware 1.8?

Perkel

Banned
play Black Mesa Source on vita?

I know it works for HL games but i mean most of games not only HL. Biggest problem is the smallest one. I already played Skyrim on Vita but the thing is right analog works as cursor. But when you play game cursor works but not in a game. Also it has shitty resolution (not even 16x9)

It could be awesome if we had option to change keys so we could direct rigt analog to yhjg or something like that.

IMACOMPUTA

I know it works for HL games but i mean most of games not only HL. Biggest problem is the smallest one. I already played Skyrim on Vita but the thing is right analog works as cursor. But when you play game cursor works but not in a game. Also it has shitty resolution (not even 16x9)

It could be awesome if we had option to change keys so we could direct rigt analog to yhjg or something like that.

A major update by PS Community member Retr0Zelda:

original

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Community-Lounge/PS-Vita-Remote-Desktop/td-p/16562147/page/29

Download the latest version

Comment out line 14 of AppMain.cs before installing the new client to your Vita:

PrApS.png

Instructions for fixing the error you might encounter when running the new server:

My general impressions include a somewhat improved framerate, and the custom key mappings work but do not save in this version. Start and Select seem not to work either. It's not perfect yet but we're getting there.

this, right?

Top Bottom