• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Move Thread: It Only Does Everything

Stampy

The tech is awesome in the fight. The actual game isn't so good, It's clunky, and frankly, boring. It's a great workout game though.

BTW, Move Fitness; awesome, made by the fight guys, The boxing exercises is like the fight, but better, you can move and it will still track you, all without headtracking.
Im #1 in the world at pickup :D:D:D:D:D

I only have the demo so far. But I am finding Move Fitness the most demanding game (exercise vise) from all the games in the move catalog. Unlike Fight, the controls are simple and don't hamper the direct experience, which is purely focused on the physicality. You really have to move your whole body, and not just your arms. I can't wait till the full game is delivered to me.

BTW, in the demo I am totally obsessing with the Pickup game (talking about whole body workout). I have no idea how high scores are measured in the full game (e.g. if there are different game types which make it easier to achieve better score), and was wondering what are the high-scores on the leaderboards for that specific mini-game?

Raoh

I've only played the multiplayer beta of SOCOM 4, never tried the final game (so I haven't played single player), but I looked it up and you're right. SOCOM 4 does not include voice commands. It's a bizarre omission, considering that the PS2 games had supported that feature.

They need to start pushing it again, even if its inclusion of games is optional. Although Sony did voice recognition nearly a decade ago, much of that is "ancient history" and forgotten by the mainstream public. Meanwhile, Microsoft's recent efforts in voice commands have shone a spotlight on the whole concept, so that it's back in the public eye. Sony needs to step it up quickly, or they risk gaining a reputation of falling behind the times.

Remember Eyedentify? The mainstream public would probably consider this "innovative" even if it were a holiday 2011 release.

Only the first game in the series included a headset initially, but after a few months it was sold without the headset. Voice commands were always optional in the SOCOM games.

I don't think this matters. Just like the SOCOM games on PS2, let the voice commands be optional. Those who have microphones can use them if they want; those who don't have them can use button presses instead.

Mass Effect 3 on Xbox 360 is a good example. They could very easily put voice commands like that on a PS3 game. I don't know if EA/BioWare would consider doing it for the PS3 version of ME3. Considering this game was featured so prominently in Microsoft's E3 presentation, it's possible Microsoft might be assisting BioWare with the tech and/or struck a deal for exclusive rights for voice controls in ME3. Regardless of whether or not ME3 on PS3 "could" have voice controls, Sony should forge ahead with an implementation of the feature in one of their own high-profile games.

If Sony really wants to impress people, then they'd include voice controls and allow this feature to work with any PS3-compatible microphone. It wouldn't matter if you're using the PS Eye, a Bluetooth headset, a cheap $15 USB headset, or a fancy $200 wireless headset--they would all work. People would say, "You mean I don't need to buy some $150 camera just to do voice commands? This works with a Bluetooth headset like the one that I'm already using for my mobile phone?" It might not necessarily increase sales of PS Eye cameras on PS3, but it would greatly add to the sales appeal of PS3 systems and software.

All you really need is the PSEYE. It can be used as a desktop mic. The mic works with eyecreate, online games (desktop mode so the other gamers sound comes out of your tv and the psyeye picks up your voice), the psblog has done video interviews with devs using the playstation eye for the chat.

But like all things sony, they probably lack the tools for devs and the initiative to push for its use.

Don't even get me started on socom's lack of voice commands or lack of socom. If I could use the Playstation Eye on the ps2 to play old socom games and give voice commands would be a nice treat.

Agent X

All you really need is the PSEYE. It can be used as a desktop mic. The mic works with eyecreate, online games (desktop mode so the other gamers sound comes out of your tv and the psyeye picks up your voice), the psblog has done video interviews with devs using the playstation eye for the chat.

But like all things sony, they probably lack the tools for devs and the initiative to push for its use.

That's exactly what I mean. The PS3 does a wonderful job of allowing the user to select from several different types of devices to use as a microphone. As you pointed out, entire online interviews have been conducted using the PS Eye. There's no lack of capable hardware. The lack of initiative is the problem. SOCOM 4's inability to offer the voice commands that appeared in the preceding PS2 games is an example of Sony actually regressing in this area.

RPGamer92

Banned
So I got Move for Christmas and I'm having some trouble setting it up. How do I calibrate it so that it will work like it's suppose to? I can only get it to work when I have a controller connected to my system by a USB cable.

So I got Move for Christmas and I'm having some trouble setting it up. How do I calibrate it so that it will work like it's suppose to? I can only get it to work when I have a controller connected to my system by a USB cable.

What do you mean? You need to explain a bit more as to what is not working.

Agent X

What game(s) are you trying to play?

Had some time to play Start the Party: Save the World with the family over christmas and it is quite a lot of fun. I would almost say that it is more approachable than the original Start the Party, but feels a bit less across the board in terms of gameplay.
It sadly does not feature my favorite "paint the shape" mode anymore, but comes with the option that another player may interfere by using the DS3 controller (i.e. move targets around).

My parents in law had less trouble getting into this game (mind you, both are almost 60 by now) than getting into the original and overall it made for a couple of fun games over christmas.

I can recommend getting this if you have a party coming up, but that's pretty much all about it. Will most likely not touch it for some singleplayer action, but let's be honest - it is called "Start the Party" for a reason and that's exactly what it delivers.

I'm having trouble with my move controllers. Never had a problem with them before but today when I tried playing some games they weren't calibrating properly. For instance, I calibrated the controllers for "The Shoot" which was fine, but if the controller leaves the screen the controller automatically goes out of sync, not calibrated anymore. House of the Dead overkill it goes out of sync after a few minutes of playing. Couldn't even play Tiger Woods. I tried turning the magnetic sensor off but still had the same problems, and tried calibrating from the XMB which tells me its calibrated, but it still doesn't work in the games.

Is anyone else excited for full Move support on MLB 12? I loved messing around with the MLB 2K games with friends on the Wii. With the higher attention to detail and Move tech. this should be awesome.

I just bought the move bundle with Resistance 3 and Killzone 2 for 59.99. I'm not an FPS fan, but I figured for that price I'll give the move a shot. Even though I generally don't like Kinetic or Wiimote games.

GeoramA

Missed out on that Best Buy deal, and no stores around me have the mayhem bundle in stock.

Fuck!!!

Killzone 2 or Killzone 3? Killzone 2 doesn't have Move support.
KZ3. The Mayhem Edition is only $59.99 at Best Buy right now.

634577445282217673sony-mayhem-bundle.JPG

Yeah, it is Killzone 3 included in the bundle. I could never get into playing first person shooters because of the controls. I am hoping that I can get into these with the new controls. If not I have quite a few games already that have move support to play around with. Bought 2 packs one for me and one for the kids. Going to test it out first before deciding if I should keep both. They already have a Wii and Kinetic.

I use to hate Rail shooters on consoles with the regular controllers, but I enjoyed them with a gun controller. Hoping this makes FPS tolerable for me. :)

zedge

Picked up the Move bundle a couple weeks ago. The move is fun for certain games but I just cannot get used to it for shooters, its bloody awful and no where near as easy or intuitive as the dual shock. I tried, but found it so awkward and frustrating. I'll just stick with the Move only games for my waggle fix. Need to pick up House of the Dead but it seems hard to find for some reason.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Picked up the Move bundle a couple weeks ago. The move is fun for certain games but I just cannot get used to it for shooters, its bloody awful and no where near as easy or intuitive as the dual shock. I tried, but found it so awkward and frustrating. I'll just stick with the Move only games for my waggle fix. Need to pick up House of the Dead but it seems hard to find for some reason.

Practice.

Also, if you are using the SS, don't.

Grinchy

Banned
If I were everyone, I'd avoid that damn sharpshooter. At one point I was convinced that it was good, but once my patience for calibration every 10 seconds wore off, I realized it was a plastic piece of shit in the shape of a gun. Move is awesome for FPS games, but you might want to avoid the sharpshooter. This is all just my opinion, of course.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

Ok, then you simply need practice (along with a good Move implementation). You might want to try InFamous 2 (or Festival of Blood). It's the easiest to get into. Set the Move camera controls to Expert and you are good to go.

You first impression is pretty common by the way. Same as mine actually. It's a bit like learning to drive a bike. Seems impossible at first, but then it clicks and it feels very natural.

haadim

Sony revealed Playstation Move shipped 10.5 million units at GDC 2012.

Last figure that I recall was 8.8 million at last year's E3 conference.

Selling quite steadily for something that is aggressively ignored and scorned by 'mainstream' game press.

Aru

And outside of shooters and Sorcery, there is little to no hardcore games using or requiring Move :/

I hope Datura will be good.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It works really good for the shooters I played it with though. Too bad the support dropped off, cuz I really like the device itself. Oh well.

Miles X

Sony revealed Playstation Move shipped 10.5 million units at GDC 2012.

Last figure that I recall was 8.8 million at last year's E3 conference.

Selling quite steadily for something that is aggressively ignored and scorned by 'mainstream' game press.

1.7 over 9 months which included the holiday season! Kinda slow to me ...

Agent X

Watch it be PSN-only at $39.99 because that'll easily find Sony's target demo for that game.

Sad idea, but I wouldn't find that entirely farfetched, after seeing how they opted against a retail release for Start the Party: Save the World in North America.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I finally got around to playing Dead Space Extraction from my Dead Space 2 disc. Great game and the Move implementation is spot on. The Move does have quite a few great unsung games, everyone is looking for a "killer app" and they seem to miss many great titles.

KalBalboa

Banned
I finally got around to playing Dead Space Extraction from my Dead Space 2 disc. Great game and the Move implementation is spot on. The Move does have quite a few great unsung games, everyone is looking for a "killer app" and they seem to miss many great titles.
That's a great couch Co-op game too.

Aru

Great analysis.
The game seems so bad and so seem the move controls. They totally could have done better.
I'm not a fan of the "what if" Move controls at the end of the video either, because it's basically "No More Heroes: Ninja Gaiden" in terms of controls. I like No More Heroes, but those controls aren't what I'd hope for a Ninja Gaiden game.

I'm totally skipping it.

Grinchy

Banned
Infamous FOB was a nice ride, and it felt quite good with move. However, I wish they didn't decide to make the hardest enemy in the game the camera. When you have to fight a hoard of enemies and every time you hit one, the camera zooms in and rotates to do the slow-mo-bro-cam, it becomes frustrating as hell to constantly have to re-adjust it to where you had it before the bro-fest. The shitty framerate didn't help the situation either.

lucius

Infamous 2 is great with Move, I like it on the lowest sensitivity(not expert) camera is too fast for me then, but that is really more a preference thing. I played it both ways and think it is easier with Move than the controller. It does take at least about 15mins to really get used to all the moves and combos though.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
So is Move worth getting?

I kinda wanna try Sports Champions, but the reviews were just "ok".
I could see myself using Move for Dungeon Defenders, but not a whole lot else.

Is there any game that needs to be experienced with Move?

leroidys

Sports champions is excellent, in my opinion. Also excellent are the LBP2 move pack and echocrome 2. I only played a little bit of the KZ3 beta with move, but supposedly it is pretty good. Infamous : Festival of Blood gets a lot of praise as well.

Drencrom

I wouldn't recommend Killzone3 to my worst enemy.

C'mon man, I know you don't like what they did with KZ3 but it ain't that bad.

What's the best FPS with move? Either of Killzone 3 or Resistance 3 perhaps?

Both have stellar move implementation, hard to say which is better with move personally (haven't played both with move enough).

I'd say maybe Resistance 3 is more fun with move because of it's weapons but just pick the game which you find the most attractive.

What's the best FPS with move? Either of Killzone 3 or Resistance 3 perhaps?

Maybe with the new patch resistance is alright, when I played it initially it was terrible. Killzone 3 was pretty damn good imo.

Modern Combat: Domination is my recommendation tbh, if the servers are still populated.

Top Bottom