• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Move Thread: It Only Does Everything

My kids also LOVED Start the Party. I didn't even know the sequel was out. I will have to check that out.

Same for me and my parents in law.
Saw TTP's coverage for GamesCom and it looked promising.
Also the release totally went under my radar, so thanks for the reminder - off to ordering

yurinka

Oh, I know about that as I've been using Naturally Speaking on Win for many years now. However, from an interview I remember reading not too long ago, the Kinect makes it easier to handle the audio stream for recognition because of the hardware capability to isolate the voice. As well, no one wants to wear a headset if you don't have to. Just getting used to having voice recognition in newer Kinect titles as well as anticipating the new dash with voice search made me want to try out any newer Move/PS Eye titles using voice recognition.

PS Eye has 4 directional mics. This means it recognices you are talking from a certain point, and isolates the noise coming from other sources.

You can use PS Eye as mic for any PS3 games that supports voice chat, or the ones that accept voice commands. Some examples using this feature in PS3 as I remeber there are Singstar (to navigate menus, search or to play etc without using the pad), Endwar and I assume Socom 4.

PS Eye has 4 directional mics. This means it recognices you are talking from a certain point, and isolates the noise coming from other sources.

You can use PS Eye as mic for any PS3 games that supports voice chat, or the ones that accept voice commands. Some examples using this feature in PS3 as I remeber there are Singstar (to navigate menus, search or to play etc without using the pad), Endwar and I assume Socom 4.

Right, but the utilization for the mic on the Eye is pretty fucking non-existent in recent titles, so capability means nothing without support and that sums up the foundational problem for Move, really. Certainly, it would be nice if Sony put their money where their mouth is when MS has been plowing ahead by integrating Kinect into the OS and with more games being released that take advantage of it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

Not sure about Endwar, but I think you need to talk to the game microphone in Singstar.

SOCOM 4 doesn't have any voice recognition feature as far as I know.

Not saying voice recognition can't be done with the PS Eye, mind you.

1-D_FTW

So I've picked up the Sports Champions bundle and am downloading Echochrome 2 and Tumble demos. Are there any other must have non-fps games that I need to look at?

And although I don't think I'll buy any (since I prefer pc for fps), what's the best demo for FPS games with motion control? Have the navigator controller too (picked up cheap for PC).
I'm curious to compare the FPS pointer controls to the Wii.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

Do you have Killzone 3 or Resistance 3? If not, get the KZ3 demo. Not sure the R3 one supports Move.

Also get Infamous Festival of Blood (or just patch inFamous 2 if you have it already and try that out).

Also check the Medieval Moves / Carnival Island / Move Fitness / Start The Party Save The World demos (scattered between US and EU Stores).

Here is a list of Move compatible games. You might already have some of them so you might want to check them out as well.

http://www.gameslist.iwaggle3d.com/

Atcha

So I've picked up the Sports Champions bundle and am downloading Echochrome 2 and Tumble demos. Are there any other must have non-fps games that I need to look at?

And although I don't think I'll buy any (since I prefer pc for fps), what's the best demo for FPS games with motion control? Have the navigator controller too (picked up cheap for PC).

Tumble is just impressive. One of the most impressive "move game" I've ever seen.
Medieval move is just awesome. The move is so accurate :D

Massa

It's also a Wii game so you may have played it, but I really like Swords & Soldiers. It's a 2D RTS that's pretty fun to play. Move support is optional but makes it much easier to play.

1-D_FTW

Thanks for the info, guys.

Haven't played De Blob 2 yet. I'm assuming since the original was built for the Wii, that De Blob 2 has good motion controls?

yurinka

Not saying voice recognition can't be done with the PS Eye, mind you.
What I mean is that PS Eye (or Kinect) just acts as a normal microphone for this tech. For voice chat or voice recognition it shouldn't matter if you use a headset, PS Eye mics or even a Singstar mic.

Games can be programmed to use only one or another device (it make sense for a game like Singstar since it's bundled at least typically with mics, and obviously for the genre is ok because it's cooler for the performance), but the voice related tech is software only tech that should work with any mic.

The developers have the tech in the SDK libraries, it's up to them to use it or not.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
What I mean is that PS Eye (or Kinect) just acts as a normal microphone for this tech. For voice chat or voice recognition it shouldn't matter if you use a headset, PS Eye mics or even a Singstar mic.

Games can be programmed to use only one or another device (it make sense for a game like Singstar since it's bundled at least typically with mics, and obviously for the genre is ok because it's cooler for the performance), but the voice related tech is software only tech that should work with any mic.

The developers have the tech in the SDK libraries, it's up to them to use it or not.

Sure thing. I'm as confused as you are as to why Sony isn't pushing this tech like Microsoft does. They have been doing voice recognition since the original SOCOM ffs! :D

yurinka

Sure thing. I'm as confused as you are as to why Sony isn't pushing this tech like Microsoft does. They have been doing voice recognition since the original SOCOM ffs! :D

I assume they don't use it because not all PS3 players have mic (headsets, PSEye etc). As I remember (never played them) at least the old SOCOM games were bundled with a headset. I think it would be really easy to implement at least of basic team based orders for shooters like Uncharted or Killzone, where almost always you have a partner close.

I remember Star Wars Republic Commando, where you got great results just using like 2 or 3 orders to your partners like "attack this guy I'm pointing", "use the cover I'm pointing", "protect me", etc, the typical actions a AI controller character does. In this case, instead to map your orders to a button, they would be mapped a certain word or short phrase.

If the voice stuff is in the SDK, and the NPC character AI actions are actually handled by the game, you only would need to add a small code change to switch between the current AI character action while a certain word is detected (and to reserve a small CPU / memory portion to voice detection work).

But again, it only would make sense in the Move-only games because they are the only ones where you make sure the PS3 user has a mic. It would be hard because in this case, we don't have Move only shooters. It also would work in games like ME3 that aren't Move/Kinect specific but you already have assigned these team based orders to a button combination. This wouldn't work in Uncharted or Killzone because as I remember they already use all the buttons.

Vita has a built in mic, so maybe there...

1-D_FTW

So I played the Killzone 3 demo. Had a ton more fun in the demo than I did in the whole Killzone 2 game (before I quit and dumped it on ebay).

Really ticks me off gamers are such Luddites. Two handed controllers with pointers destroys the stock controller. If Sony chases the MS' controller-less vision, or Nintendo's "My First Tablet" vision, I'm going to be ticked next gen. This is the direction controllers should have continued evolving.

Kind of peeved I didn't pick up the Mayhem bundle instead. But I didn't think I'd have any interest in playing shooters on the system.

So I played the Killzone 3 demo. Had a ton more fun in the demo than I did in the whole Killzone 2 game (before I quit and dumped it on ebay).

Really ticks me off gamers are such Luddites. Two handed controllers with pointers destroys the stock controller. If Sony chases the MS' controller-less vision, or Nintendo's "My First Tablet" vision, I'm going to be ticked next gen. This is the direction controllers should have continued evolving.

Kind of peeved I didn't pick up the Mayhem bundle instead. But I didn't think I'd have any interest in playing shooters on the system.

The Mayhem Bundle now $99 at Best Buy! 2 games, sharpshooter, Navi, Move ,and PSEye for $99. Best Deal out there and the lowest price yet.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...p=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

Also, I am so upset Child of Eden is not available on the North American Playstation Store. It was on sale as part of the 12 Days of Christmas in Europe for Half Price, but it isn't even in the NA Store. Heck, it is still $50 at Best Buy and it seems like a great game to Pick Up and Play.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
My girlfriend just bought me a PS Move for my birthday. :)

Since I had no interest in motion controls I have no idea what games are available for it. What are the "must haves" for Move, and what are the best kind of casual games (that my GF would like.)

Hazelhurst

Killzone 3 is one of my favorite games this year, mainly due to the excellent Move implementation. It feels so much more satisfying shooting with motion controls versus the standard controller. I like how I can just rest my hands on my lap and barely move my right wrist to aim.

My multiplayer stats are much better in KZ3 vs KZ2 due to Move. I find it odd that GG lets Move players play with DS3 players. Move definitely has an advantage.

I find that I'm unstoppable in Guerrilla Warfare (team deathmatch / Bodycount) when there are no more than 6 vs. 6. Any number greater than that and the maps are too small and I find myself getting shot in the back alot. 8 vs. 8 is too many for the small dm maps, especially with all the gadgets each of the classes can deploy. The best map for this many players is Bilgarsk Boulevard. The rest of them are too confined.

Warzone is even crazier with 12 vs. 12, but at least the same maps are expanded to account for 24 players.

AAK

Since I had no interest in motion controls I have no idea what games are available for it. What are the "must haves" for Move, and what are the best kind of casual games (that my GF would like.)

Sports Chamnpions

RE5: Gold Edition

Tumble

All of those games have solid local multiplayer

Number45

Flight Control is amazing. There are some good shooters (KZ3/R3) if you're into those as well.

leroidys

LittleBig Planet 2

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Sports Chamnpions

RE5: Gold Edition

Tumble

All of those games have solid local multiplayer

Would I need the Navigation Controller for those?

Flight Control is amazing. There are some good shooters (KZ3/R3) if you're into those as well.

I played the KZ3 demo with the Wand... it's certainly a new experience for me. Actually better than I thought it would be. A lot better.

LittleBig Planet 2

My girlfriend also bought me this for my birthday. :)

gate777

TTP - what's your opinion on micoach releasing next year? I'm looking for a fun fitness style game that focuses on cardio. Have you had any hands-on with it yet?

Aru

I really hope NG3 Move support isn't limited to Hero Mode (with auto blocking), because that would be pretty disappointing. I want to play games with a full campaign with move, not watered down modes or mini-games collections :/

teehee... the Move ball glows golden while playing GoldenEye... :D

Should be customized more often, especially as the standard color for player one is pink :p

AAK

Would I need the Navigation Controller for those?

Sorry for the late reply. You don't need a nav controller at all for Sports Champions or Tumble.

But for RE5 you do, however, my bud and I just used the normal ds3 on our left hands. It might be a little awkward first, but you adapt to it. And it was really fun in the long run.

T-0800

Bought Infamous 2 Vampire thingy last night and I'm disappointed with the Move controls. The cursor won't stay centred. It doesn't drift in the sense that it moves to the right while the controller is held still but it doesn't remain centred at all. Off by up to 5 inches. I always feel as though I'm aiming well off centre. I don't have this issue in Flight Control for example.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TTP - what's your opinion on micoach releasing next year? I'm looking for a fun fitness style game that focuses on cardio. Have you had any hands-on with it yet?

nope, I haven't, but I guess you should check Move Fitness. It's great fun and workout. There is a demo available on the European store.

Zen

Banned
I've pretty much decided that I will get a move once the StarTrek game comes out, and we've seen Sorcery, the Deadwood falls game, etc. I hope we see more on these soon, as I do want a move, but just haven't been able to pull the trigger due to financial reasons and a lack of exclusive compelling content for it (I can't justify it as a new control method for existing DS3 games alone).

The reviewers. Remember the users have to justify their purchase and a lot of the claims would have been in the early days.

That's just insipid. You are wrong. Also your cookies have been taken for saying wrong things.

The truth is that its more like different people got what they wanted out of it and other people didn't.

People who wanted "exercise with some gaming aspect" loved it and those who wanted "gaming FIRST and maybe some exercise" hated it.

Toddhunter, do you have the game ? And how far did you play it ?

Yep I was one of them who purchased it early on (when there wasn't much of an option). I tried hard to like it, but the controls just do not really work as was intended (or to what makes sense).

I am quite tall though, so maybe that comes into it *shrug*. Other move games have worked really well, and really to me leaves no excuse why you would want to play the fight at all. I don't buy the exercise as gaming thing. If you try to play it, you will find you have to do a lot more movements than you would like just to get it to "work". This can be considered exercise, but as I said there are better options.

That's just insipid. You are wrong.

Straight question, straight answer. Feel free to disagree and provide your reasons.

Every review I've read of The Fight says it's bad while all the users claim it's good.

Who's right GAF??

Its a lot of fun but you should up front know 2 things:

1) Its not arcade like Punch Out. You are going to have to really punch each time.
2) It will work you like a dog and if you like "the pain" then you will love the game.

Grinchy

Banned
I could not get The Fight to register head tracking for me. I like everything about it other than the fact that I can't get it to properly do body shots because it can't track my head. I should give it another shot one day, but my lighting environment has not changed so I don't have my hopes up that it would be any better.

Other than that, it seemed awesome though. It really tracked everything else I was doing very well. Punching felt so satisfying.

I could not get The Fight to register head tracking for me. I like everything about it other than the fact that I can't get it to properly do body shots because it can't track my head. I should give it another shot one day, but my lighting environment has not changed so I don't have my hopes up that it would be any better.

Other than that, it seemed awesome though. It really tracked everything else I was doing very well. Punching felt so satisfying.

Yeah the head tracking is a bit of a mess because you basically need full daylight strength lighting (I have several high power lamps). Also, a fairly plain colored background behind you so it can see your head against the background.

Its silly how much work it is to get it working but when it works its quite interesting to experiment with.

1) Dodge and squat to lower left, stand up left hook to head and right uppercut to chin.
2) Dodge squat lower right, throw 1-2-3 punch while moving right
3) stand up on right side with right hook to head and left uppercut to chin.
4) repeat making sideways figure 8 loop

When you run a pattern like this and it succeeds in pounding the opponent into the dirt its super satisfying. You won't even realize that your legs are about to give out until its over due to excessive squats.

Raonak

Banned

The tech is awesome in the fight. The actual game isn't so good, It's clunky, and frankly, boring. It's a great workout game though.

BTW, Move Fitness; awesome, made by the fight guys, The boxing exercises is like the fight, but better, you can move and it will still track you, all without headtracking.
Im #1 in the world at pickup :D:D:D:D:D

spats

Is there any -real- reason why Naughty Dog refused to implement move into UC3?

Time constraints propably. If you read any of the later pre-release interviews, the game was in a really bad state days before going gold. Huge bugs that broke the game etc. If I had to guess, adding motion controller support and doing extensive QA for it on top of that means they would've never hit their target date with a functioning product.

Agent X

SOCOM 4 doesn't have any voice recognition feature as far as I know.

I've only played the multiplayer beta of SOCOM 4, never tried the final game (so I haven't played single player), but I looked it up and you're right. SOCOM 4 does not include voice commands. It's a bizarre omission, considering that the PS2 games had supported that feature.

They need to start pushing it again, even if its inclusion of games is optional. Although Sony did voice recognition nearly a decade ago, much of that is "ancient history" and forgotten by the mainstream public. Meanwhile, Microsoft's recent efforts in voice commands have shone a spotlight on the whole concept, so that it's back in the public eye. Sony needs to step it up quickly, or they risk gaining a reputation of falling behind the times.

Remember Eyedentify? The mainstream public would probably consider this "innovative" even if it were a holiday 2011 release.

I assume they don't use it because not all PS3 players have mic (headsets, PSEye etc). As I remember (never played them) at least the old SOCOM games were bundled with a headset.

Only the first game in the series included a headset initially, but after a few months it was sold without the headset. Voice commands were always optional in the SOCOM games.

But again, it only would make sense in the Move-only games because they are the only ones where you make sure the PS3 user has a mic. It would be hard because in this case, we don't have Move only shooters.

I don't think this matters. Just like the SOCOM games on PS2, let the voice commands be optional. Those who have microphones can use them if they want; those who don't have them can use button presses instead.

Mass Effect 3 on Xbox 360 is a good example. They could very easily put voice commands like that on a PS3 game. I don't know if EA/BioWare would consider doing it for the PS3 version of ME3. Considering this game was featured so prominently in Microsoft's E3 presentation, it's possible Microsoft might be assisting BioWare with the tech and/or struck a deal for exclusive rights for voice controls in ME3. Regardless of whether or not ME3 on PS3 "could" have voice controls, Sony should forge ahead with an implementation of the feature in one of their own high-profile games.

If Sony really wants to impress people, then they'd include voice controls and allow this feature to work with any PS3-compatible microphone. It wouldn't matter if you're using the PS Eye, a Bluetooth headset, a cheap $15 USB headset, or a fancy $200 wireless headset--they would all work. People would say, "You mean I don't need to buy some $150 camera just to do voice commands? This works with a Bluetooth headset like the one that I'm already using for my mobile phone?" It might not necessarily increase sales of PS Eye cameras on PS3, but it would greatly add to the sales appeal of PS3 systems and software.

So I started Resistance 3 with Move

Is there anyway to lessen the deadzone beyond the minimum it allows me through the game options? I feel like I have to move too far to turn.

Uncharted 3 really should have had Move support. Dreaming of playing that game with the Sharpshooter, which is, for my money, the best gaming peripheral going right now. Even reloading is satisfying. It saved Socom 4 for me.

JWong

Banned
So I started Resistance 3 with Move

Is there anyway to lessen the deadzone beyond the minimum it allows me through the game options? I feel like I have to move too far to turn.

In before TTP...

I've seen TTP's extensive Resistance 3 video show you how to tweak everything. Probably just look at his site.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah the head tracking is a bit of a mess because you basically need full daylight strength lighting (I have several high power lamps). Also, a fairly plain colored background behind you so it can see your head against the background.

It's unfortunate because I have a window that shines sunlight directly toward my TV. If I try to play in the daytime, the background is just a blanket of brightness and it can't track things well. If I play at night, I guess my lamps aren't good enough.

The tech is awesome in the fight. The actual game isn't so good, It's clunky, and frankly, boring. It's a great workout game though.

The tech really is awesome. I love how I can see a gap open in an opponent's defense, and I can uppercut or punch right into the gap in his gloves to connect. It felt so right. If only I had a more suitable setup to play this game (every other Move game has worked flawlessly for me).

Maybe I should check into Move Fitness. I never thought one of those fitness games would be for me, but it seems like it gets some praise around here.

Not sure if it's been mentioned somewhere else, but I was at Walmart earlier and they are giving away a $100 gift card with the move hardware bundle, effectively making it $250. I think it's in store only and it's for the current week.

Top Bottom