• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

Quoting myself from the SAO thread:

So Lost Song is being developed by a different dev. What do you guys think of this? I'm a bit sad since Aquria did a great job with the game. But we shall see what Artdink does.

Artdink are pretty decent. They've made plenty of decent action games for Bamco in the past.

I wonder what Aquria are going on now though. I do agree, they did a great job with Hollow Fragment (but not so great with Infinity Moment).

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Quoting myself from the SAO thread:

So Lost Song is being developed by a different dev. What do you guys think of this? I'm a bit sad since Aquria did a great job with the game. But we shall see what Artdink does.

2nd time now requoting myself on the subject.

Am concerned, but then again its quite possible that they were chosen since they do have experience handling flight and larger enviros such as with the macross games.

Though at the same time Id be worried since the fine tuning that went into the combat system of Hollow Fragment will not be present as its not the same team...

Either way still picking it up, but not exactly happy about the news either.

Hmm that has me to think then the game design might be based off the engine / design theory they used with Macross. Looking at the radar too in the upper right makes me think of that even more so. Which might mean at the same time will be a lot more action based with less emphasis on the skill panels as would get in the way of the whole flying around thing... Really wish we had more current gameplay footage out that showed some useful stuff rather than the heavily doctored dev footage. They really did do a good job with some of the best Macross games to have come out on the PSP.

The issue with that is, if the combat does become more action based it will basically turn into Phantasy Star type of combat. Though at the same time thinking from a sales perspective with them wanting to gain more numbers someone thought it might be a good idea to have a more simplified system to try and bring in more players. As the system in Infinity Moment and Hollow Fragment did shut out less hardcore type of gamers with the design and how many things you need to manage at once...

Overall though really am concerned and its usually not a good sign when I get this feeling. Will be nice to be proven wrong when it comes out though, but still. It will be more a personal thing for me as I think the battle system that was improved from Infinity Moment, in Hollow Fragment is one of the best battle systems that has been created so far and the amount of freedom it allows for the player.

-----

Back to the topic of Artdink it makes sense using them for a quick solution as in the Macross games it flawlessly dealt with air to land type of combat as the Veritech Fighters were able to switch from flight / hover / gerwalk mode. Granted there is no sound in the vid below its perfectly what I wanted to use as a visual example for you all. Since it shows air and land combat. Should help you visualize what I mean by them most likely going to be going off of this "engine" / design. The PS3 version might be an example of what they can do with a larger world than the PSP version. That and the PS3 Macross game they did was an action rpg.

PSP - Macross Ultimate Frontier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RjIx4k9PrU&spfreload=10

PS3 - Macross 30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-pa3Hz3wHE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpvMFA1xIso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKC105WvXkc

See the thing is that I liked their PSP and PS3 Macross Titles, though really am hoping they understand its the battle system which made the PSP / PSV SAO games so unique and try as much as possible to keep it intact to a reasonable level. Though I can most def see where design issues will come in the way due to the flight mechanics / gameplay involved. Guess will just have to expect the title to be something different from Hollow Fragment. Makes sense too considering that the ALO world is no longer only about sword skills and such.

Well time to hope for the best and pray that my current gut feeling is wrong. At the same time I am unable to think of anyone else who would be able to handle it.

And in case anyone is wondering if I actually know anything about the titles mentioned by Artdink. The 3 PSP ones are just repurchases I did this weekend for collecting as my other ones are boxed up and shipped off at the moment. Which is why you will still see the official seal on em.
TFST8Gn.jpg

Ultimate Frontier was one of the TOP Macross games ever made.

The subject though talk about a weird twist of fate considering these 3 PSP games just arrived in the past 2 days and 30 was sitting here on my desk as something to mess around with again for next weekend then this topic appears just about Artdink.

Artdink are pretty decent. They've made plenty of decent action games for Bamco in the past.

I wonder what Aquria are going on now though. I do agree, they did a great job with Hollow Fragment (but not so great with Infinity Moment).

Actually Id say infinity moment was highly impressive considering it was the PSP hardware they had to work with. And the complexity of the system itself the groundwork was there. Just at the time the UI with other design mechanics were different.

Also with Artdink its a bit going beyond that they made "decent" action games and more into the topic which I covered in the quote above. As they are one of the few companies that actually have experience with large open world simultaneous air / land combat.

On top of also knowing how to make friendly AI that assists the player, since its a similar system used in Macross 30. Which am pretty sure will be part of the base used in Lost Song.

Also with Artdink its a bit going beyond that they made "decent" action games and more into the topic which I covered in the quote above. As they are one of the few companies that actually have experience with large open world simultaneous air / land combat.

Fair enough about Infinity Moment. I found it underwhelming at the time I played it, but still.

Artdink, I've played DBZ and Madoka Magicka. Both were solid action games, but having never played Macross, I wouldn't know of their experience of open worlds really. Sounds good anyway.

Zhao_Yun

I am thinking about getting a 2nd Memory Card to use for my US PSN account. I guess having a 2nd one is the fastest way for switiching accounts since I wouldn't need to format my MC with every switch? Does it save the bubble placement on the MC as well or do I have to rearrange it everytime I switch?

antibolo

Banned
I am thinking about getting a 2nd Memory Card to use for my US PSN account. I guess having a 2nd one is the fastest way for switiching accounts since I wouldn't need to format my MC with every switch? Does it save the bubble placement on the MC as well or do I have to rearrange it everytime I switch?

You still have to factory reset every time, so it's still a pain.

As for bubbles, you can minimize placement disturbances by putting everything inside folders.

Maid

Banned
Well, Flandy saw you.

Tried Dungeon Travelers 2 demo, and is the demo just that short? After getting back from the first dungeon, now it seems like I can't advance anymore. Was going to check out the game's system but look like I can't learn anything from the demo.

Parakeetman

Well, Flandy saw you.

Tried Dungeon Travelers 2 demo, and is the demo just that short? After getting back from the first dungeon, now it seems like I can't advance anymore. Was going to check out the game's system but look like I can't learn anything from the demo.

I dont recall how long the demo is, but thats pretty much how the dungeon crawling will be. Though the leveling up part with all the skills and whatnot is the other half.

Its a title / series that falls into my top 5 category for DRPGs. Since with the fanservice aside its one of the better made titles.

What's "ending" here? The final chapters? The last nonstop debate? The very last scenes?
Also, high-five about the spoiler part.

As for getting spoilers before playing, I already knew about
AI Junko
, and
Chiaki's figure with Monomi
felt important when I saw it. Not too big stuff, at least.

the whole
actually, it's just a virtual reality! Also, here's junko cause we couldn't come up with another villain! Oh, also -- because we know you guys love scavenger hunts -- we're going to lead you around the school where you can only open 1 room at a time and the framerate constantly stutters! SO MUCH FUN!
I was actually getting pretty fucking annoyed by the end. Skipped half the text.
If you insist...

don't do anything rash, flanders. Think of the children.

Zhao_Yun

You still have to factory reset every time, so it's still a pain.

As for bubbles, you can minimize placement disturbances by putting everything inside folders.

Well, at least I don't have to backup everything, every time I switch. Not optimal but better than just using one MC I guess.

I dont recall how long the demo is, but thats pretty much how the dungeon crawling will be. Though the leveling up part with all the skills and whatnot is the other half.

Its a title / series that falls into my top 5 category for DRPGs. Since with the fanservice aside its one of the better made titles.

Still wondering whether we'll get a localization for this.

Maid

Banned

Just wanted to check out the skill/class systems. From the demo I only have 2 characters in my party.

Still waiting for localization news. Those are one of those games I don't want to play without understanding what the characters are saying.

Parakeetman

well at least I don't have to backup everything, every time I switch. Not optimal but better than just using one MC I guess.

Still wondering whether we'll get a localization for this.

Hard to say really. I think NISA is locked down with EXP Inc. So that kinda puts them out of the picture. Unsure about what Atlus will do and Xseed already seems to have their own schedule. Though there are some titles in that list of theirs which are still unknowns.

From this topic.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=968510&highlight=xseed

Though Atlus I think is the only company out of the 3 that have a working relationship with Aquaplus. As its published some of its games in the US already. Such as Aquapazza and Tears to Tiara 2.

Another small issue would be this character for her initial transformation image. So would require Sting to rework the graphic.

Just wanted to check out the skill/class systems. From the demo I only have 2 characters in my party.

Still waiting for localization news. Those are one of those games I don't want to play without understanding what the characters are saying.

You wouldnt be able to class change anyways as the demo I think cuts you off level wise before you would be able to.

Zhao_Yun

Hard to say really. I think NISA is locked down with EXP Inc. So that kinda puts them out of the picture. Unsure about what Atlus will do and Xseed already seems to have their own schedule. Though there are some titles in that list of theirs which are still unknowns.

From this topic.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=968510&highlight=xseed

Though Atlus I think is the only company out of the 3 that have a working relationship with Aquaplus. As its published some of its games in the US already. Such as Aquapazza and Tears to Tiara 2.

Another small issue would be this character for her initial transformation image. So would require Sting to rework the graphic.

Yeah, it seems like XSEED has enough projects already and Atlus seems to be the prime candidate. Unfortunately Atlus isn't as open as XSEED with their upcoming projects so we'll have to wait and see I guess. Does anyone know how well TTT2 did in the West?

I guess the problem with the image is, that it is very NSFW?

Producer

the whole
actually, it's just a virtual reality! Also, here's junko cause we couldn't come up with another villain! Oh, also -- because we know you guys love scavenger hunts -- we're going to lead you around the school where you can only open 1 room at a time and the framerate constantly stutters! SO MUCH FUN!
I was actually getting pretty fucking annoyed by the end. Skipped half the text.

I think the framerate might have been intentional. But yeah, at that last chapter and trial, it felt like they were trying to add more and more 'holy shit' twists into the game. Wasn't really impressed with that.

Parakeetman

Yeah, it seems like XSEED has enough projects already and Atlus seems to be the prime candidate. Unfortunately Atlus isn't as open as XSEED with their upcoming projects so we'll have to wait and see I guess. Does anyone know how well TTT2 did in the West?

I guess the problem with the image is, that it is very NSFW?

Its more has to do with the characters perceived age / general look which how the US is way more Puritan so to speak with things am guessing that particular image would be a no-go. Just think of like magical girl type of transformation.

Id imagine T3-2 didnt do so hot with one of the reasons being cant image a lot of current "modern gamers" sat through the insanely long introduction part of the game. After that the title picks up, but thats only if people survived that.

Seeing how the price of the game has dropped a lot on PSN cant imagine its doing well?

maouvin

If you insist...

It begins.

the whole

don't do anything rash, flanders. Think of the children.

Fair enough, the idea is a tad old nowadays lol. But other than that not-so-hot things, I really enjoyed final chapters. Nice touches for the lore and all.
And speaking of framerate stutters, Panic Talk Action ran like shit.

Maid

Banned
Its more has to do with the characters perceived age / general look which how the US is way more Puritan so to speak with things am guessing that particular image would be a no-go. Just think of like magical girl type of transformation.

Id imagine T3-2 didnt do so hot with one of the reasons being cant image a lot of current "modern gamers" sat through the insanely long introduction part of the game. After that the title picks up, but thats only if people survived that.

Seeing how the price of the game has dropped a lot on PSN cant imagine its doing well?

What's TTT2?

On the topic of Dungeon Travelers 2, I guess it's time to import, then. I really doubt it will be localized, and if it does (unless it's XSEED), censorship will be insane.

But really, does AmiAmi never stock their stuff or something? I've followed it for 2 months and it's always sold out.

Chuy

So the 10 % works now...? you only know when you confirm the purchases in your cart? is it a code ? I hope not because I got nothing in my e-mail from Sony...
Kinda curious on this as well
I thought there was supposed to be some sort of announcement made when it was possible to use the 10% off.

darkwing

So the 10 % works now...? you only know when you confirm the purchases in your cart? is it a code ? I hope not because I got nothing in my e-mail from Sony...

no, it's going to be a discount code most likely, no idea when it will come out but they said January

Parakeetman

What's TTT2?

On the topic of Dungeon Travelers 2, I guess it's time to import, then. I really doubt it will be localized, and if it does (unless it's XSEED), censorship will be insane.

But really, does AmiAmi never stock their stuff or something? I've followed it for 2 months and it's always sold out.

Tears to Tiara 2. SRPG.

Possibly since I remember CrovaxPSO said that Amiami was sold out and that was a like near or after launch.

Nippon Yasan has it
https://www.nippon-yasan.com/japane...rs-2-ouritsu-toshokan-to-mamono-no-fuuin.html

Parakeetman

Thank. Haven't tried Nippon-yasan ever, but I remember people often recommend this site. Their price are as good as AmiAmi, too.

But those discount point are confusing.

Yeah Nippon-Yasan and Ami-Ami are the only 2 sites I link now in my OTs since do not want to shift other GAF members towards Play Asia anymore due to all of the problems Ive been hearing lately with folks and shipping.

No idea bout the discount point stuff as have never used those sites before.

nampad

It's free so I will try it but a real Fat Princess game for the Vita would be better.
Not sure about the new PS4 one, not a fan of Fun Bits.

Standing around and cheering about it is a sure fire way to earn yourself a seat next to them also.

Usually, I wouldn't have posted that but I just want to show VitaGAF that you can do something against all the bashing. The alternative, hiding in this thread and complaining about it doesn't help. Contrary, it actually gets the members banned for complaining.
The sentiments many have regarding the moderation is another issue.
I don't report people normally but it was the action that was suggested to me by the moderation.

Also, people cheer all the time when others get banned.

Parakeetman

It's free so I will try it but a real Fat Princess game for the Vita would be better.
Not sure about the new PS4 one, not a fan of Fun Bits.

Usually, I wouldn't have posted that but I just want to show VitaGAF that you can do something against all the bashing. The alternative, hiding in this thread and complaining about it doesn't help. Contrary, it actually gets the members banned for complaining.
The sentiments many have regarding the moderation is another issue.
I don't report people normally but it was the action that was suggested to me by the moderation.

Also, people cheer all the time when others get banned.

Yes but those are not the same people who actually directly said they were responsible for the banning. Which is a different matter. Am just saying be careful since Ive seen both parties go down before.

I don't get why Sony keeps pushing the Fat Princess IP.

1) The original game was not very good. I found it tedious and broken.
2) The two games coming out with the Fat Princess name are nothing like the original.
3) I am no super sensitive Tumblr dude but using the term "fat" in a name sounds vulgar.

Why not attach this stuff to one of the 20 or so better IPs Sony has like Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Ape Escape, or hell even Vib Ribbon?

antibolo

Banned
I don't get why Sony keeps pushing the Fat Princess IP.

1) The original game was not very good. I found it tedious and broken.
2) The two games coming out with the Fat Princess name are nothing like the original.
3) I am no super sensitive Tumblr dude but using the term "fat" in a name sounds vulgar.

Why not attach this stuff to one of the 20 or so better IPs Sony has like Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Ape Escape, or hell even Vib Ribbon?

I think Santa Monica Studio just loves Fat Princess and wants to shove her in as many things as possible. The fact that she was one of the original characters announced in PSASBR left many people wondering what the hell Sony's priorities were. I remember an interview about the game where one of the devs was explaining how they were so excited that they managed to convince the higher-ups to include her.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
(1) The mods of GAF are anything but consistent. Through personal experience and that of posters I've known in my tenure on this site, moderators use their power in a lot of ways that aren't objective or fair. After having contacted no less than 3 moderators trying to report someone's extreme personal attacks on me and my family (for no reason), I eventually got a response to my "business-like" demeanor which was merely to use a PM warning to the poster in question. Meanwhile, people like Takao who remark on a company's choices of where to port a game get banned for "port-begging", I've been banned for voicing my opinion on a developer, and I've seen other banned for stating their opinions on other matters because certain mods have personal vendettas or take more offense to a comment than 99% of GAF would in general. Futhermore, I've seen mods sweep issues under the rug in community rather than let the community work it out, closing legitimate opinion threads aimed at discussion and awareness because they felt it was trolling for some reason, and a bunch of other questionable decisions. in my personal experience, moderation on GAF is pretty much a joke as people are given power and seemingly left to their own agendas afterwards. From my experience in the last 6 years, they're only responsive when they want to be and when it suits their interests. Maybe you've had good luck with them, but as far as I'm concerned, time and time again they've given me little reason to believe in their fairness, objectivity, and willingness to enforce site TOS and guidelines.
For those of you erroneously placing responsibility for the above poster's ban on Aeana, let me be clear - it was my call.
Feel free to direct your PMs to me if you want to engage in further discussion on the matter.

Carry on.

RK128

So SAO: Lost Song isn't made by the developers of Hallow Fragment....considering how LS has flying mechanics and a more powerful engine (it is made for the ground up for the Vita/PS3 this time out), it makes sense that this is the case.

It is a bit of a shame, as the gameplay of HF was a lot of fun, but I'm sure these new developers are taking what made HF so much fun while adding new things of there own :D.

A bit of a random question though; did Sony state when the week trial for the PS Now Subscription come out? I know it is coming today but I don't know if it is lumped with the store update or if it is coming tonight or something :l. Any answer would be great :D.

Parakeetman

So SAO: Lost Song isn't made by the developers of Hallow Fragment....considering how LS has flying mechanics and a more powerful engine (it is made for the ground up for the Vita/PS3 this time out), it makes sense that this is the case.

It is a bit of a shame, as the gameplay of HF was a lot of fun, but I'm sure these new developers are taking what made HF so much fun while adding new things of there own :D.

A bit of a random question though; did Sony state when the week trial for the PS Now Subscription come out? I know it is coming today but I don't know if it is lumped with the store update or if it is coming tonight or something :l. Any answer would be great :D.

Read my post. It pretty much explains what there would be to expect both design wise and engine wise.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147221387&postcount=1902

RK128

Read my post. It pretty much explains what there would be to expect both design wise and engine wise.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147221387&postcount=1902

Thank you for the post Parakeetman :D; knowing how skilled these new developers are with flight-based combat and them making games in the past (so they have experience with making games) make me more excited about their direction for the SAO games :).

Phantasy Star X Hallow Fragment gameplay mixed with flying mechanics seems to be what this new game is setting out to do (if your post is correct), so that sounds like a lot of fun :D.

Parakeetman

Thank you for the post Parakeetman :D; knowing how skilled these new developers are with flight-based combat and them making games in the past (so they have experience with making games) make me more excited about their direction for the SAO games :).

Phantasy Star X Hallow Fragment gameplay mixed with flying mechanics seems to be what this new game is setting out to do (if your post is correct), so that sounds like a lot of fun :D.

Will be interesting to see how they do it, at least we know that the game is being worked on by a dev that has actual experience with large open spaces that are designed for both ground and air combat. So will be interesting to see what they can pull off.

Takao

Banned
Does that Fat Princess game have IAP? If no, what's the purpose of that game? To advertise the PS4 game? Piece of Cake was out for months on mobile before that was announced. Also, why give Vita owners the PS3 game? Wouldn't the PSP version, which they could actually play on the same device, be better?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Considering Sony's funding it I really doubt they'd let PC get a better price on day 1. And in general higher prices on console at launch for indies (not that this is one) is a stupid trend
All good points. I'm even more excited now that we have a price.

Top Bottom