• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Now = No future PSOne Classic emulator support on PS4?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
it's worth noting that for titles to be compatible with this kind of service, an x86 version must exist in some form in order to be run virtualised on their giant server farms. they aren't chain linking PS2s and hooking them up to the phone socket.

going from that to a local PS4 version is a relatively small step and the only reason you're not going to get them is business.

I'm not sure I get the need for streaming PS1 games. I mean, consider the size of a CD-ROM image versus streaming a video for a couple of hours.

I'd imagine the streams are in native resolution then upscaled by the client (it wouldn't make sense to have multiple streams serving specific clients/resolution), but even so, surely emulation is simpler?

Mihos

Gold Member
I'm not sure I get the need for streaming PS1 games. I mean, consider the size of a CD-ROM image versus streaming a video for a couple of hours.

I'd imagine the streams are in native resolution then upscaled by the client (it wouldn't make sense to have multiple streams serving specific clients/resolution), but even so, surely emulation is simpler?

But then they couldn't bullet point their Bravia TV as PlayStation Now ready.

Jinko

You have to view this from Sony's perspective and not your own.

It's easier to set up a service which covers all their games/consoles than putting time and effort into emulation which would no doubt require per game optimisation.

Even now PS1 emulation on PC is hit and miss and that's been around for years.

Not only that they are focusing on offering something over multiple devices, including mobiles and TV's, this isn't just about PS4.

it's worth noting that for titles to be compatible with this kind of service, an x86 version must exist in some form in order to be run virtualised on their giant server farms. they aren't chain linking PS2s and hooking them up to the phone socket.

going from that to a local PS4 version is a relatively small step and the only reason you're not going to get them is business.

Really, can they not use customised PS1/PS2 hardware with streaming and input tech ? (Sony are a hardware manufacturer don't forget)
I really can't see them porting games to x86.

Lime

Did backwards compatibility and a regard for video game history kill Famassu's parents or something? I've never seen such an ardent defender of the removal of backwards compatibility.

Angelcurio

I already mentioned this on the PS Now thread, but i don't see the point of putting a 100 MB PS1 game available for streaming, when the bandwidth needed to stream it for a couple of hours would be way bigger that to simply download it once and play it through an emulator, let alone the costs associated with giving that functionality on their end. It definitely makes sense for PS3 titles, since they are huge in size, and it's a platform somewhat hard to emulate. That's why i don't see the reason why both type of methods can't coexist.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'd be disappointed if PSone titles ceased release on Vita, in the traditional sense.

I'm not going to be streaming PSone games on the train.

I truly hope they dont see Playstation now as a replacement for local emulators and I am honestly surprised that PS1/PSP/PS2 games aren't immediately up for PS4

btkadams

let's all remember that sony has to create this game streaming service in every single country. it's only coming to the us this year. most of the playstation audience won't have access to it. does it really make sense to not have native ps1 (and maybe even ps2) emulators when they already have that content on their store? you can pretend that the sales from those games aren't enough to justify it, but they were for vita and ps3.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Really, can they not use customised PS1/PS2 hardware with streaming and input tech ? (Sony are a hardware manufacturer don't forget)
I really can't see them porting games to x86.

i can't even begin to imagine how that would work, i just know that's how gaikai and every other streaming setup operates.

Balb

I truly hope they dont see Playstation now as a replacement for local emulators and I am honestly surprised that PS1/PSP/PS2 games aren't immediately up for PS4

Of course it's a replacement. Flat fees for games are a thing of the past, if games like NBA 2K14 haven't already made that obvious. If they can charge you a monthly/yearly fee to play games, they will.

Jinko

i can't even begin to imagine how that would work, i just know that's how gaikai and every other streaming setup operates.

I suppose it would work something like how PS3 emulates PS2 games via hardware, no ?

Or is this not possible on that scale ?

nampad

I wouldn't rule out official PS1 emulation on the PS4. They are making good money with it and they won't be able to launch PS Now everywhere soon. Also, not everyone wants to have a subscription. In the end, they will lose money/sales if they keep PS1 games PS Now exclusive.
You could argue that they are accepting the loss of sales to get more people on board of PS Now but when we are realistic, do PS1 games really have any pull for that? I don't think so.
Even economically selling the games for an emulator should be better for them than streaming the games as it would take less bandwidth.

I would just say that PS1 emulation isn't a top priority right now after they just have launched the console and need to fix several things about the OS.

I wouldn't rule out official PS1 emulation on the PS4. They are making good money with it and they won't be able to launch PS Now everywhere soon. Also, not everyone wants to have a subscription. In the end, they will lose money/sales if they keep PS1 games PS Now exclusive.
You could argue that they are accepting the loss of sales to get more people on board of PS Now but when we are realistic, do PS1 games really have any pull for that? I don't think so.
Even economically selling the games for an emulator should be better for them than streaming the games as it would take less bandwidth.

I would just say that PS1 emulation isn't a top priority right now after they just have launched the console and need to fix several things about the OS.

Its silly.

I feel like it would take next to no effort to put the PS1 emulator on the PS4 along with everything else thats already up on PSN.

Must be some kind of issue there that I just cant see

Jinko

Its silly.

I feel like it would take next to no effort to put the PS1 emulator on the PS4 along with everything else thats already up on PSN.

Must be some kind of issue there that I just cant see

But Sony doesn't own the rights for every PS1/2/3 game.

Companies are more interested in re-releasing their content and having us pay a second or third time, no doubt PSnow is set up so that a percentage goes to the publisher.

It's probably the same reason why they never unlocked PS2 emulation on PS3 even though there are videos out there proving it can be done even on the slim consoles.

Zornack

Of course it's a replacement. Flat fees for games are a thing of the past, if games like NBA 2K14 haven't already made that obvious. If they can charge you a monthly/yearly fee to play games, they will.

I thought Now offered a subscription service or a flat rate per game.

Zee-Row

Banned
Some PS1 games on PS3 have horrible input lag. I wonder how input lag from their emulator and lag from streaming is going to be?

jgmo870

Banned
They'll probably have both eventually but priorities and such. They know that not all of their consumers have the bandwidth to support PS Now so it's money lost if they don't do it (and it won't cost that much to do) and they'll probably have to go through new contracts to get the games on their cloud service (meaning some downloadable PS1 classics could be left out from Now and vice versa).

And if they really wanted to push the service, they wouldn't use aged games that people can get on multiple devices. They would have replaced the PS4 with a rebranded VitaTV and gone with that. But again, it's too early for them to do it.

I think it's interesting that 2 of the games mentioned were already rumoured to be getting x86 ports.

I just prefer them to release the classics like they have been doing. PSOne games are pretty cheap on the store and I can get the ones I like. I can also get Japanese ones off my JPN account which is a big plus for me. I doubt NOW will be region free.

Eusis

Yep. They also aged badly and lack that nostalgia factor that 16 bit titles may have.

Don't get me wrong, I love the PS1 catalog to this day, it just doesn't have the must buy potential for Sony to make that investment.
Nostalgia's more a matter of time, and some games(generally JRPGs or 2D games) aged fairly well for the most part. Of course those are more fundamentally niche, and FFVII or FFT can work better over streaming than an FPS even if bandwidth wise it's a retarded thing to do. Especially in the case of FFT, depending on the quality and size of the stream the bandwidth that could have been used to just download it will be blown past after a few hours.

dr_rus

My experience with BC:

"Oh sweet, I can play all my old ps2/ps1 games on ps3."
*pops in ps2 game and plays for 30 min*
*never uses again*

BC isn't the selling point the hardcore try to make it out to be. It is a nice feature but it isn't going to sell consoles and there are other features that are far more important.
Console b/c is utter crap and can be completely omitted.
Now if they'll put some work into making the old games run on the new h/w in higher resolutions with AA/AF - then we're talking.

Top Bottom