• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus: Cloud Storage Expanding to 100GB, Free Games for February

Helios

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...e-expanding-to-100gb-free-games-for-february/
In early February, we will be expanding our cloud storage space from 10GB to 100GB for PS Plus members — giving PS4 owners even more space to keep all those game saves. With cloud storage, you can save your game progress and character profiles on one PS4 system, and then continue the game on another system later without losing progress. Be sure to check it out next month.
Now, let’s take a look at the free games next month, available starting on February 5, 2019.

First up, we have For Honor, the melee action game from Ubisoft. Experience the chaos of war and choose between Viking, Knight, and Samurai factions to find your perfect fighting style. Featuring 18 different PvP maps, this game will be sure to entertain you.

Next up, we have Hitman: The Complete First Season. Take on the role of Agent 47, the world’s ultimate assassin. Travel the globe to eliminate your targets in traditional and less traditional ways. From sniper rifles to expired spaghetti sauce, use the weapons at your disposal to become the master assassin.

This month’s PlayStation Plus lineup also includes:

This month’s PS3 and PS Vita games will be available for a few extra days, until March 8, 2019. PS4 games will be available until March 5, 2019, when the next monthly games lineup hits. As a reminder, after March 8, 2019, PS3 and PS Vita games will no longer be offered as part of the PS Plus monthly games lineup — so be sure to download them while they’re available. Any PS3 and PS Vita games you’ve already downloaded, or will download, prior to March 8, 2019 will still be part of your PS Plus games library as long as you remain a member.

For PlayStation VR fans, we’ve just announced big discounts on top PS VR titles, exclusively for PS Plus members. This includes 50% off Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality and Resident Evil 7: Biohazard Gold Edition, 25% off Borderlands 2 VR, and 20% off Astro Bot Rescue Mission. This sale runs until February 5 so don’t miss out.

Caayn

In early February, we will be expanding our cloud storage space from 10GB to 100GB for PS Plus members — giving PS4 owners even more space to keep all those game saves.
I'm still amazed that this isn't unlimited. They get royalties for each game (and thus save game) sold on top of the required PS+ fee.

Leonidas

Hopefully we get more than just extra cloud storage for losing 2/3 of the monthly game downloads, seems like a bad trade(unless quality of game selection greatly improves).

Fbh

Good news both for the Storage and games.

2 games that have interested me but I haven't bought. For Honor was free on PC but since most of my friends are on Ps4 I didn't really play it a lot. And I've heard good things about hitman

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm still amazed that this isn't unlimited. They get royalties for each game (and thus save game) sold on top of the required PS+ fee.

True, be even when it was raised to 10GB, between the hundreds and hundreds of saves I have on all 3 systems (PS3, Vita, PS4), I barely reached 10%. So this will seem almost impossible, even with racing game ghost data.

At least they allow local back-up too.

Shin

Banned
Dat value proposition :p
Using Google Cloud storage (100Gb = $1,99), so x 12 = 23,88 worth on storage alone.
But that aside we're getting a glimpse of PSN expansion I suppose and next-gen stuff.

Caayn

True, be even when it was raised to 10GB, between the hundreds and hundreds of saves I have on all 3 systems (PS3, Vita, PS4), I barely reached 10%. So this will seem almost impossible, even with racing game ghost data.
If it was just PS3 and PSV games it'd be more than enough, but with solely PS4 games I already crossed the old 1GB limit long ago thanks to games such as driveclub and rocket league.

At least they allow local back-up too.
Indeed. That's a good point. Which is also what I now use as I haven't had an active PS+ subscription in a couple years and never was quite happy with how the cloud saves worked on PS4 but I feel that that's going off-topic a bit too much.

Last edited:
My personal hypothesis...

Sony ran the numbers and found that less than .01% of PS+ members are anywhere close to 10GiB storage limit. The number of people who will use this extra capacity and the amount of additional space required is probably a tiny amount.

Moreover, when sony says thry give you 10GiB, it is more like 1GiB. Prior to uploading game saves to sony, the save is tarballed (compressed). I have found that uploading my 1GiB Final Fantasy XV save uses around 10MiB of bandwidth. Sony's cloud then says you are storing a gig, regardless of what the save compresses to.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Hitman is by far one of the best PS+ offerings they've had on PS4. If you've still not tried it, do so.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hitman is by far one of the best PS+ offerings they've had on PS4. If you've still not tried it, do so.

I enjoyed the first 2 on the PC back when they came out. I have not played one since, but I'm definitely going to give this one to go.

Hitman is awesome news. Now that I have Hitman 2 can I also import all of Hitman 1's maps into the engine via the legacy upgrade? It's pretty confusing.

DonF

100 gb for saves? Lol what...I have close to 400 games and my saves take like 5 gb. I've known that sports game like 2k NBA use gigs...but thats just ridiculous

sublimit

Banned
RIP PS3 and Vita games ( even if you were mostly garbage for the last 12 months).
I predict that Sony will maybe offer some high profile games for the upcoming months (with the fanboys saying how great was their move to ditch PS3/Vita games) but after that they will go back to their usual crappy PS4 offerings while they will no longer have to pay for PS3/Vita games.At best they may also try to shove some VR trash that no one wants down our throats and call it a day. In any case when my subscription expires later this year i have zero intentions to become a PS+ member again.
Thankfully Sekiro will not have online so that's one less reason for me.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Huzzah!

I vaguely remember Divekick being a thing people gushed over but I never tried it.

Greedings

Meh, no interest in For Honour, and I already played Hitman to death. Great for people who don't already have it though!

The Shepard

Some great games this month. Metal gear solid 4 could really do with a remaster in the current gen as I'd love to replay it. Was the final metal gear for me as I couldn't get into mgsv like the others, just didn't have that big story, The gameplay was great though but didn't like the open world stuff which felt dated. Positive mgs4 ran below 720p on the ps3. Crazy how it's 12 years old now.

Shmunter

100gb is welcome. I’ve given up managing the online storage and have lived with upload errors in notifications for far too long.

However, we need to be able to store capture vids in the cloud, allowing access on PC, iPads, etc. for e.g. editing.

EDMIX

I’ll certainly give Hitman a go, possibly For Honor but gotta do my homework about its modes first.
Hitman is REALLY good! I'm mad cause I already have it, but I urge many to try it out.

Many hated on it based on releasing in episodes, but you still got a final version JUST like you'd still get a game at release when its complete. For many that skipped it, It thought it was a pretty stupid reason to never play a game forever based on how it released for a few months.

The game still got a disk version like any other game and I think what they tried could have worked better if not for all the unwarranted negativity by the community. I think it resulted in a better game as each EP was worked on and got feedback by the whole community, and if someone just got it on disk after it was all complete, you still got a final Hitman game just like you would wait for anyway, this time with all the levels with deep feedback and actually worth each area vs paying full price for filler that couldn't stand on its own if released as a single level.

I think the method of release can have a place in gaming, gamers simply need to have a open mind. I hope those enjoying it now can see how silly it might have been to over look it. One of my favorite in the series. lol didn't mean to make a tree

EDMIX

100 gb for saves? Lol what...I have close to 400 games and my saves take like 5 gb. I've known that sports game like 2k NBA use gigs...but thats just ridiculous

Well they are not charging you for the extra so.......

Also keep in mind they are gearing up for Next Gen, so for all we know next gen save files will be larger (as they are from last gen to this gen)

Top Bottom