• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 07/23/09 – Shatter

Leatherface

LiquidMetal14 said:
I know, the innovations kill the game.

angry_scary_cat.jpg

Anyway, boss battles and manipulation of the ball doesn't hide the fact that at it's core, this is just an Arkanoid clone. I mean it looks decent enough I suppose. I'm just not understanding the hype here.

maxax

That's exactly why I'm hyped for Shatter.
An Arkanoid "clone" with innovations for $8. That's fucking awesome.

2 things are all I ask for this week.

1) Fighting Force - Bought this game 3 times only to have it stolen or lost. Been waiting to play this game again for years. So underrated and really kicks tons of ass.

2) Wild Arms 2 - Have not played this one yet but always wanted to.

Please no crap like Spec Ops.

Leatherface

You're right loudninja, I haven't played it. I'm just basing my opinion off the 10 min of gameplay I just watched on youtube. Don't get me wrong it looks decent, but I've been around for a long time and I've played enough arkanoid type games to be satisfied I think. To the credit of the dev, $8 is a great price.

GeoramA

Shatter is so bought.

Strider2K99 said:
I've checked it recently and I don't see it rated on ESRB for PS3/PSP anymore.
That sucks, I've never played Blood Omen.

Yet we've got 2 more Spec-Ops games on the way. smh

Steroyd

Leatherface said:
Anyway, boss battles and manipulation of the ball doesn't hide the fact that at it's core, this is just an Arkanoid clone. I mean it looks decent enough I suppose. I'm just not understanding the hype here.

The hype is what it is because it is an Arkanoid-esque game with a twist, and for cheap as well.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Shatter is definitely interesting, but my top priority is Fury. I haven't played WOHD since I finished the campaign mode, now I can finally get back into it. Hopefully the new tracks will result in more people playing online.

(Hello, by the way! I've been lurking the forums for a good while awaiting account validation, and today it finally happened!)

Big B

Will Shatter's soundtrack be made available somewhere down the line? I've only heard snippits so far but I want it!

bdavid81 said:
Most of my PSN purchases are blind buys. The only one I highly regret is 'Burn Zombie Burn', as I'm terrible at the game, and don't really find it all that fun anyhow. :( More demo's are needed.

And this is probably why it will never change. I can surmise that the PSN folks realize that with low prices we will blind buy when we are bored. A demo would have put me off some of the ones I purchased. Even the ones touted by the GAF and gaming media would have been No-Buys for me had I played a demo. It's a business strategy. The best we can expect are delayed demos to get players who are on-the-fence much later.

Rapping Granny said:
Will download the Wipeout patch, and if I still can't play online with my account, I will not buy the DLC.

Will download the KZ2 patch and if still plays and moves like shit, I will not buy the DLC.

TheSeks said:
So I'm not the only one with issues getting Wipeout HD to fucking connect! Hooray! I don't feel so alone telling people "no, it's not my fucking connection" anymore! :lol

Edit: But yeah, I'm not buying the DLC if this latest patch does not fix the error I've been getting for six months. Seriously, why buy a game that touts online if you can't fucking play the online?

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6302

It has been fixed some time ago. It's a serverside fix, so downloading a patch isn't necessary. It should be working for everybody.

le.phat

The Take Out Bandit said:
What the fuck is it with Sony and no PSN demos?

No demo. No sale Sony.

Simple math.

Guess who's loss that is.

Edit:

shatter.
kz2 maps.
WipeOut fury.
fucking GET.

What's the verdict on crystal defenders ?

Speevy

Banned
le.phat said:
What's the verdict on crystal defenders ?

It's fun. Characters are colorful but it's probably the least of all the tower defense games because you never feel very in control of the outcome until you're losing.

chubigans said:
I can't wait to get my Shatter. Needs my Shatter. Make way, Magic Ball! *deletes Magic Ball*

LOL

That was exactly what I was planning to do - just replace Magic Ball with Shatter.

I had my fun with Magic Ball...but Shatter looks amaaaaaazing :D

Speevy

Banned
ravien56 said:
Who's Mario? Don't fucking say Super Mario. and whats shatter?

Mario is the developer of Shatter, and if you can't be asked to read down a few posts in the thread, don't ask what the game is.

TheSeks said:
Blind bought Everyday Shooter.

It was... okay. Good, but not worth the cash or time I spent with it.

Doesn't matter about the price. Having a demo is a good selling point on getting people to buy your game. There is a reason why XBL mandates them for XBLA releases and why Sony should for DAY ONE on PSN.

I don't care if you want to get your game out faster, cut a level out of the middle make it a timed application and put it up with the game. Argh!

And since "Shatter" has little to no word-of-mouth (besides in this thread), a demo would REALLY help it's selling point.

Funny thing is that the XBLA way probably adds very little devtime or cost to the development of a game, while it adds a great deal of exposure to all games.

Moobabe

jett said:
Tried out the Tales of Vesperia.

Man what a POS.

jett
Mr. Negativity
(Today, 07:52 PM)

I'm hankering for a JRPG for the ps3 and if (when) this makes it to europe it's day one.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Katana_Strikes said:
I think it's when you blow an explosive object up with fire (like dynamite, oil canister etc) that a bomb is used.

Aha, cool.

So I have a shortcake that spawns hundreds of bowling balls. Is there any reason I shouldn't just "hold" it until the round is over?

Edit: nevermind, I just placed it, instead of smashing it. I want this shit on PSP! So good!

webrunner

There's a few pages of visual instructions in Trash Panic, if you go all the way to the.. right? I think? on the selection screen. It's the book, iirc.

So on the subject of demos... I wouldn't have bought either PixelJunk Monsters, Eden or Trash Panic without playing the demos first (PJM being one of me fave games this gen too). And they were cheap buys as it was. So something for the likes of £8 has no chance unless it's from a previous played franchise.

Dante

jett said:
Tried out the Tales of Vesperia.

Man what a POS.

Yeah, I have no idea why people wanted this to come to PS3. You can be thankful you didn't even get to hear the awful dialogue.

jett

D-Member
Dante said:
Yeah, I have no idea why people wanted this to come to PS3. You can be thankful you didn't even get to hear the awful dialogue.

Man the 360 can keep its jrpgs. All of the demos I've tried out ended up being garbage. Or maybe it's just me outgrowing this genre.

Retro/Grade announced for PSN

At this point, you may be thinking, “How on earth do you play a game in reverse?” That is a very good question, and after many years of temporal physics research, we’ve finally come up with the solution. As you can see from our screenshots, Retro/Grade looks like a really exciting shoot ‘em up. However, it actually plays more like a rhythm game. In order to protect the health of the space/time continuum, Rick must undo his actions exactly the reverse of the way he performed them in the first place. That means he has to get in the appropriate space lane from which his shot was fired and press the shoot button at the appropriate time. As well, he must avoid blocking the path of the enemy shots as they return to the enemy’s guns. If he blocks their path, it creates a paradox since he is stopping the shot before it was ever fired. All of the gameplay is timed to original retro themed tunes by Skyler McGlothlin, aka acclaimed electronica artist Nautilis. Retro/Grade earned a nomination for Excellence in Audio at the IGF because of our great tunes.

One feature in Retro/Grade that we are really excited about is the ability to pilot Rick’s ship using a guitar controller. You can use the fret buttons to move Rick’s ship to the desired space lane, and the strum bar acts as the shoot button. It’s a lot of fun to use the guitar, but it is equally fun with the DualShock 3 controller if you don’t have any guitar controllers handy. Players that play a lot more rhythm games will probably feel more comfortable wielding a plastic guitar whereas shoot ‘em up junkies looking for an innovative twist on the beloved genre will feel more comfortable with their trusty DualShock 3.

Retro/Grade features many innovative power ups including the ability to reverse time (again). You may be thinking, “But wait Matt… Time is already reversed!” This power up allows you to reverse the reversed flow of time, so time moves forward! Although that sounds confusing, the gameplay effect is really exciting! It allows you to undo any mistakes you’ve mde made and repeat a section again. This is extremely helpful for when you hit a hard section that requires a little more practice or you lose the rhythm and start making mistakes. Once you play Retro/Grade, you are sure to bemoan that other rhythm games don’t have that feature.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/07/20/retrograde-coming-to-ps3/

Moobabe

jett said:
Man the 360 can keep its jrpgs. All of the demos I've tried out ended up being garbage. Or maybe it's just me outgrowing this genre.

That's definitely possible; the genre doesn't seem to have evolved too much on face value. The Last Remnant was kind of cool though, technical issues aside.

Renasu

Neo Member
Hmm, Retro/grade seems pretty interesting.... Looking forward to see how it turns out.

Also, do we know what the Dissidia demo consists of?

Top Bottom