• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita = TWO HUNDRED FORTY NINE US DOLLARS ($249)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
schuelma said:
The immediate issue as I see it is if the 3DS games do well, developers may not bother with a Vita version.
I would not be worried. Companies are hurting right now, and they are going to but their games everywhere they think they will sell. Besides we don't know if some of those games will even sell well on the 3DS. I was surprised when some games did not do so well even on the DS.

TripOpt55

I was expecting more from this conference. I am just catching up on the details, but it doesn't seem a lot came out of this for the Vita. I am still very much looking forward to the Vita, but was expecting a few more things of interest from this I guess.

Lesiroth said:
So around 13 hours from now huh?

I honestly wouldn't put much hope in that keynote, especially with the info we were given last night. I feel like if Sony had anything big to disclose they would have done it. One thing that I'm surprised about is the fact that Capcom is listed to only have 2 games( 1 due at launch) in development which to me is really weird but going by that list from the press release I don't think they will have much to show.

Day 1 for me in any case.

madmaxx350 said:
Nah Yoshida will definitely do better as a matter of fact Yoshida alone already makes it better than the conference.

Yoshida is awesome, but I really don't know what he can do to make it interesting if that list of games on the official site is all that they have right now.

duckroll

SolidSnakex said:
Yoshida is awesome, but I really don't know what he can do to make it interesting if that list of games on the official site is all that they have right now.

I think showing the games and actually having footage and gameplay to look at would be a good start. At least we'll have something to talk about.

duckroll said:
I think showing the games and actually having footage and gameplay to look at would be a good start. At least we'll have something to talk about.

That certainly wouldn't hurt. I think there may have been 3 minutes of game footage in that entire conference last night. It really made no sense.

They just need to show or announce something that's really going to get Japanese gamers excited. FFX is big, but I think most would agree that the majority of sales for that will end up on the PS3. They need something that's specifically for the Vita.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
After today's clumsy, ill rehearsed conference, anything will do.

At this point no Power Point presentations or technical difficulties would probably interest me more.

duckroll said:

Yea, and it seems a lot of the games are going to be playable on the show floor, TGS should be good on the launch games details, I want to see the OS inside out and some gameplay vids, TGS Public Day can't come soon enough.

I wanna see Ridge Racer.

FoxSpirit

SolidSnakex said:
That certainly wouldn't hurt. I think there may have been 3 minutes of game footage in that entire conference last night. It really made no sense.

They just need to show or announce something that's really going to get Japanese gamers excited. FFX is big, but I think most would agree that the majority of sales for that will end up on the PS3. They need something that's specifically for the Vita.

How about some footage of those two Square Enix launch titles?
Screen a little bit of the added content of Persona 4: The Golden while you are at it.
A small teaser for the new Vita exclusive Cave shooter.
Finish off with some footage from Project N.O.E.L.S. if there is anything to show.
Or maybe finish with the Persona 4 footage since this is so beloved.

Would already make for a nice conference with some hype in it. Contrary to just showing some logos and talking for 90 minutes straight.

Realistic? Naw. But I'll be there anyway, huge Vita supporter. If the release bombs, I can at least say with confidence I saw how Sony failed two major occasions to drum up the hype for an awesome handheld two months from release. May go well anyway but when the focus is on you, you should go and captivate some hearts.

Number45

SolidSnakex said:
I'm not so sure on that. I get much more potential game time on a handheld, so if it's a choice between the two platforms for long games I can see myself actually picking the Vita version - smaller screen will probably be more friendly depending on the quality of the port as well.

I just can't comprehend why they did that conference how they did, I mean, fucking logos were the best thing we got, and after a while it went from that to just the title of the game on screen, what a waste of time, they may as well have released a PR statement listing the games and saved everyone an hour and a half of their lives.
I will watch the Keynote but I don't expect anything interesting at all, it looks like the show floor impression and individual title media from the publishers and developers will be where the real good stuff is. It's just a shame because for me Vita has a genuinely compelling lineup (albeit port heavy) that Sony didn't do justice at all - not to mention the whole MH disaster.

BlazingDarkness said:
I just can't comprehend why they did that conference how they did, I mean, fucking logos were the best thing we got, and after a while it went from that to just the title of the game on screen, what a waste of time, they may as well have released a PR statement listing the games and saved everyone an hour and a half of their lives.

The worst part was when they had to pull out that stump with the camera man every time they wanted to show the menus.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
BlazingDarkness said:
I will watch the Keynote but I don't expect anything interesting at all, it looks like the show floor impression and individual title media from the publishers and developers will be where the real good stuff is. It's just a shame because for me Vita has a genuinely compelling lineup (albeit port heavy) that Sony didn't do justice at all - not to mention the whole MH disaster.
the post above yours should give you a little hope. if that helps.

muu

BlazingDarkness said:

The Vita conference was an afterthought, plain and simple. Speaker was fumbling for words throughout, arms dangling out and clearly did not practice everything enough. Seems to me they only did this to 'counter' Nintendo's conference. Seems they shot themselves in the foot more than anything...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
DaSorcerer7 said:
You guys really expect games to be announced at the keynote address...?
Of course. I expect Yoshida to apologize by bowing for 10 minutes, then make it up to me by running a reel of trailers, both announced and unannounced for 50 minutes.

Kyoufu

I'm still confused about what the point of this keynote is.

witchedwiz said:
uhm amazon has updated my vita preorder estimation to january 2013.. fo'real sony??!?!!? o_O
hope it's just a placeholder date

Yes its coming out in 2013, you should continue panicking and over-reacting.

Averon

One game may be announced at the keynote, but that's it. My guess is that the keynote will be about the Vita's connectivity and social features. Basically a regurgitation of Sony's TGS presser, but shorter.

Spiegel

Pikmin in Hell screens
(not the real name)

xF8XC.jpg

3VOC7.jpg

h4MCf.jpg

j2TpV.jpg

GTJen.jpg

PrH4O.jpg

GlF2T.jpg

8m3Ao.jpg

J9L57.jpg

au118.jpg

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Massa said:
TGS keynotes are never
not
boring.

The bar is set so low after last night... that even a basic montage would be like manna sent down from the heavens.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Yep, looks like Pikmen and LKS alright. I now know why they picked with the "Hellish" setting: now they can get away with bland environments.

Still, better than another MH clone I guess.

theBishop

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:

Maybe it was geared toward a business audience? They spent a ton of time on numbers, the relationship with NTT DoCoMo, and the user interface.

I don't speak Japanese, but it seemed like their was a great deal of pride, maybe even a nationalistic pride in the user interface.

Reading the thread and seeing all the overreactions and overblown dramatics is starting to make me dizzy...

I think most people crying foul over the press conference had far too much expectation that was built up themselves... and now they put the blame on Sony for not blowing them away. Once one bombshell announcement is made you immediately assume a corresponding bombshell will be made at another press conference. People consistently set themselves up, and I am beginning to have a hard time telling if people do it on purpose for the sake of trolling threads and painting a negative light after the fact or they actually expect crazy and often fanciful announcements to be made despite history dictating the contrary... especially for Sony.

Now, I'm not passing Sony for the press conference or giving them praise or anything. However, I never really expected much different from them anyway, so I am practically indifferent to the situation... and it surprises me that a lot people didn't seem to think that way either. I honestly anticipated nothing but launch details and some launch game announcements, so for me, the press conference was pretty standard fair and Sony probably did exactly what they set out to do. Lay out the launch plan and details for the Vita for Japan. I'm sure that there will be some more announcements to be made in the future, but I think Sony is just focusing on making a strong launch and then when that is finished, they will start to push out some big announcements. Granted, they should be doing that right now, but I am not necessarily angry with Sony or immediately crying death for the Vita. Give it some time, people!

With that said, however, there are a few things I am fairly upset by right now and the major issue is the immense amount of ported or multi-platform (PS3 and Vita, or 360, PS3 and Vita, etc) releases... I was seriously under the impression that Sony was started to understand that ported games will not make the system a success. Hell, I even recall Yoshida (or Rohde, maybe?) himself said as much when the platform was announced. However, we get closer to launch and like 85% of announced titles are ported titles. With that said, I hope that this purely a case of building up a library of games for the early life of the system, which is a great move, but Sony needs to understand that it won't make the system a success if they keep down the road. They need unique, original and exclusive titles...

The other point is the fact sheet mentioning that some games require the use of a memory card to save game data. Allow me to be frank and say that is absolutely pathetic! I was excited when they announced they were issuing carts as the storage medium for games so that you can save data to the cart itself... because it meant that people may not even have to get a memory card at all if they are intending on solely using it for physical retail gaming. And then they throw in the fact sheet that some games may have to use a memory card for saving... and it throws everything out of the window. Was this a decision by Sony to encourage memory card sales? Are some of these saves so large that they can't fit on the cart? Did Sony not put save space buffer on the carts? Either which way, it's shit.

I'm not so happy about the memory card prices, but I am not entirely angry about them either. I think my indifference regarding them are because of the range of prices and sizes. I would be angry if they only released the 16GB or 32GB card at that crazy price, but instead, I can simply get a smaller card to start off with and buy physical retail games. Once the card prices come down, I can get a bigger card. Or, I can just get a 32GB card and start digitally buying the games. I think a lot people are immediately jumping to the higher card price and assuming that is the standard and it in turn jacks the price of the units up for everyone, but everyone will buy differently and for some people it won't be a crazy wallet destroying extra purchase. Hell, Sony may make sure that all launch titles for the first 6 months of the Vita launch are game cart only... won't know until we know. Wishful thinking regardless, but I have hope!

Either way, I think it is way to early, premature and downright childish to be claiming the death of the Vita so quickly. It does have a very strong launch line-up and it has plenty of games that cater to a range of audiences and hopefully that will drive Vita sales until some of the big name games come out.

Oh, and I really don't think Monster Hunter 4 will be exclusive to the 3DS. Everywhere, including the official press release, never once mention exclusivity (at least that I have seen). I honestly think that it will come to the Vita as well. It would be an easy sell and move units like crazy. I think there might have just been some sort of exclusive announcement and a restriction on announcing a Vita version... however, I'm confident the Vita will get a few Monster Hunters over the course of its life. Capcom would be absolutely stupid not to put them on the Vita... and Sony would be stupid not to get those games on the Vita.

Overall, I'm still immensely excited about the Vita and will definatly be there on day one... but I think Sony lost some wind in the sails in the last few days. However, I don't think the public will really care that much... much of them won't even know a lot of stuff even exists until marketing begins. I hope the Vita is a huge success... likewise with the 3DS. Both need to do well so they can take the evil spawn that is Apple and the iOS mobile gaming craze. GO DEDICATED HANDHELDS!

P.S.. sorry for the wall of text. Just kind of needed to sum up some of my thoughts on the Vita. By the way, the interface is AMAZING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom