• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoibie

Also, I'm sure I could easily google this, but can the PSV function as an e-book reader, preferably compatible with Kindle books. Can it play itunes audiobooks as well?

There was a comics app shown in some of the early screenshots, but apart from that, they haven't talked about it.

Durante

I still don't know if I should go all digital on Vita or not. The former would necessitate locking it to the US region, since local PSN prices are absurd.

I actually meant making the screen smaller, it needs to remain the same resolution. They did it with the Go.
That would make perfect sense, since they can probably also shrink the insides at that point. It would seem like they need to maintain a pretty significant size though to keep all the controls comfortable.

The Jutty

Launch Plans.
Wifi Vita
PDP Pull n Go Folio
2x Protective Screens
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Escape Plan
16GB Mem Card

Possibly some PSP games.

patsu

How many third parties were stupid enough to limit their games to Motion+? There's a reason that peripheral failed and Kinect did not. You have to sell a ton of them to make it more palatable to devs to make something for it. It's just a guess, but I'm assuming Sony is forcing the 3G on early adopters because it's the version most people would walk across the street to avoid. Everyone's moving to 4G (even iPad 3 next month is), and here comes Sony with their 3G option. Come on, Sony.

Most developers won't limit their games, they may use the extra features if it's there though.

3G is used for anywhere connectivity and GPS locationing. 4G may be faster but its (huge) strain on battery life is an issue. Therefore, 3G and 4G should co-exist in the market for sometime. Besides, all Vitas can support 4G via MiFi, but only 3G Vita has built-in GPS.

delta25

Banned

If I read that right, the only area that could possibly effect the wifi model would be the online connectivity of the 3G in future games? So all vita games present and future can be played on both models, but if you have a wifi model it could effect your ability to play games online in the future?

patsu

If I read that right, the only area that could possibly effect the wifi model would be the online connectivity of the 3G in future games? So all vita games present and future can be played on both models, but if you have a wifi model it could effect your ability to play games online in the future?

There are ways around it. Google for "MiFi". You can buy say, a 4G MiFi device to provide anywhere connectivity in the future. Your WiFi Vita will just talk WiFi to the MiFi device, while the MiFi device talks 4G to the cell data network. In that way, your WiFi Vita will remain connected all the time.

However for location-based apps/games, having a built-in GPS chip (like in the 3G Vita) should be more accurate.

The thing that wows me about display tech right now is how utterly shitty basically all TVs, PC monitors and laptop displays (especially those) are compared to the Vita or high-end smartphones.

My Kuro begs to differ.

The only thing that can make a difference is the GPS, not the 3G. You just happen to need a 3G model to get the GPS though.

FEBruary.

I'll save $110 and wait 7 days. That's at least three games right there for waiting.

prwxv3

Man, almost a week left now.
Long week ... fuck ..

image.php

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
100% agreed. I mostly use a 120Hz DLP projector. The black level sucks, but overall it's the best option for big screen gaming I have available.

Let's have a LCD hate party! We'll bathe in plasma and bask in cathode rays.

I'll throw the party at my house

OLED PARTAY!

RoylAsult

any word on the sony screen protector? im not sure if i want to get one (unless one comes in the FEB but i dont think it does, right?). i take care of my systems and im not too worried about it getting scratched and finger prints can always be wiped away.

Are these screen protectors of good quality, easy to get bubble free?

Salaadin

Man, Im trying to get a refund on SUper Stardust Delta but Sony has responded to me yet. I just checked their support page and it seems that all PS Store sales are final, no refunds. That kinda blows.

Maybe phone support will be better.

v0yce

I don't guess PSP games can take advantage of the Vita GPS can they?

I believe a few games like Portable Ops did some stuff with the PSP GPS add on.

d0c_zaius

any word on the sony screen protector? im not sure if i want to get one (unless one comes in the FEB but i dont think it does, right?). i take care of my systems and im not too worried about it getting scratched and finger prints can always be wiped away.

I had no problem putting mine on, and it comes with an extra layer to help you align it properly with the buttons and analog sticks.

I think for any screen that you're going to be physically interacting with, there is a higher probability you're going to scratch the screen. I take care of my systems extremely well, but there's no way I'd go without with something I'm constantly physically interacting with. It's not like a PSP where you never touch the screen.

patsu

I don't guess PSP games can take advantage of the Vita GPS can they?

I believe a few games like Portable Ops did some stuff with the PSP GPS add on.

Did they release the PSP GPS add-on in US and EU ? I am under the impression that it's a Japan only peripheral. If so, the western games will be clueless about GPS.

frequency

I am terrible with screen protectors.
But I got the Sony one on, bubble free, in one go. I was very surprised.

It only covers the screen. The Hori one covers the areas around the buttons and d-pad and stuff too.

I don't really even notice it on. When I first put it on, I was sure I messed up and didn't actually apply it (again, because I suck at these and this went on perfectly).

I'm happy with it. I was going to buy the Hori one and just use this temporarily, but I cancelled my Hori order.
Still looking for a solution for the back screen though.

One thing to note is that this doesn't come with a microfiber cloth. So you'll need your own to clean the Vita before applying the screen protector.
I take care of my stuff too, but I wouldn't be comfortable playing with the Vita without some protection since it's touch screen. Especially if you have nails and/or jewelry like I do.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Man, Im trying to get a refund on SUper Stardust Delta but Sony has responded to me yet. I just checked their support page and it seems that all PS Store sales are final, no refunds. That kinda blows.

Maybe phone support will be better.

yeah I had to get phone support.

They just refund me the money today and I called yesterday

Toki767

It only covers the screen. The Hori one covers the areas around the buttons and d-pad and stuff too.

I don't really even notice it on. When I first put it on, I was sure I messed up and didn't actually apply it (again, because I suck at these and this went on perfectly).

I'm happy with it. I was going to buy the Hori one and just use this temporarily, but I cancelled my Hori order.

Didn't the Sony protectors come in two? Did you try using one for the back?

I thought the solution was to trim up the Sony one to put on the back. Does that not work?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
To answer Dacvak's question from a lot of pages back (man, you guys are moving to fast. I've been trying to catch up on this thread for, like three days now), I'm buying a Vita because I'm in need of a handheld gaming device. One that was built from the ground up to be a gaming handheld. I find smartphones to be poor substitutes for dedicated gaming handhelds.

The 3DS didn't do it for me for a number of reasons, so my only hope was a handheld from Sony or MS. Since it was a no brainer that Sony would do a follow up to the PSP, my main concern was how much of an improvement over the PSP will their new handheld be. Lo and behold, the Vita looks to fix everything that irked me about the PSP (and I loved my PSP), and add a bunch more functionality and form.

I'm excited to see my favorite PlayStation franchises done justice on the Vita. As much as I loved the PSP God of Wars, I can imagine a Vita GoW being simply stunning in all areas. Uncharted looks great, and as a diehard fan of the series (I loved all 3 with a passion, and was singing the praises of Drake's Fortune long before Uncharted 2 made it popular to love the series, and Uncharted 3 made it popular to hate the series. lol).

I'm getting a Vita because I have two hours to kill Monday-Friday while on the bus to work. My weekends tend to be free as well, and I love curling up in bed or in a comfy chair, and playing a handheld. Sometimes I don't want to turn on the PS3 and play on the big screen.

I'm getting a Vita because I also love the idea of firing up some of the best PSP games, and playing them on that gorgeous screen, and with, for a lot of titles, improved controls/performance.

The PS Vita is exactly what I'm looking for when I think "handheld gaming." I'm 32 years old, and have been gaming since the NES released and I was 6 years old. To think that handheld gaming has evolved to the point where games are as sophisticated as they are is a dream I've had for over 25 years. Is the Vita perfect? Of course not, but hot damn is it a versatile machine with lots and lots of potential.

Not to mention that Sony has more studios than any publisher in the industry, and I don't fear for lack of support for the Vita on the software front. 3rd party developers/publishers seem to be inspired by the potential of the device as well.

tl;dr: I need a portable gaming platform, and the Vita fits the bill with it's form, function, and software library.

I ordered this basic grip last night - hope it gets here relatively soon. I have one for my PSP and it makes a big difference for longer game sessions. Mainly because it gives your palms something to rest on.

grip.jpg

Yeah it comes with 2. The size isn't right though.

I am terrible at cutting things. So I haven't tried cutting it down to size.

I'm not sure what the size difference is, but I would hope/think that a ruler and an Xacto knife would do the trick pretty quickly and easily. I've got the protector but no Vita to compare it to.

RoylAsult

One thing to note is that this doesn't come with a microfiber cloth. So you'll need your own to clean the Vita before applying the screen protector.
I take care of my stuff too, but I wouldn't be comfortable playing with the Vita without some protection since it's touch screen. Especially if you have nails and/or jewelry like I do.

The FEB doesnt come with one right? i might have to get one if i have time tomorrow or just be careful and get it on the weekend

frequency

The FEB doesnt come with one right? i might have to get one if i have time tomorrow or just be careful and get it on the weekend

I'm not sure. I don't have the FEB. I just have a regular standalone wifi model.
I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the Amazon US store is giving away a screen protector with one of the bundles.

I'm not sure what the size difference is, but I would hope/think that a ruler and an Xacto knife would do the trick pretty quickly and easily. I've got the protector but no Vita to compare it to.

It's a few cm taller.
It's also not as immediately obvious where the back touchpad ends on the sides to me. I think it's just where the white symbols stop. Aligning it would be harder. The front was so easy for me because they have the guide that fits over the face buttons/stick.

I'm not very good at measuring or cutting or any of that craft-y kind of stuff. I'm too clumsy so I haven't mustered the courage to try yet.

RoylAsult

I'm not sure. I don't have the FEB. I just have a regular standalone wifi model.
I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the Amazon US store is giving away a screen protector with one of the bundles.

the guy at gamestop told me it does but i dont really trust most of them lol

The PS Vita is exactly what I'm looking for when I think "handheld gaming." I'm 32 years old, and have been gaming since the NES released and I was 6 years old. To think that handheld gaming has evolved to the point where games are as sophisticated as they are is a dream I've had for over 25 years. Is the Vita perfect? Of course not, but hot damn is it a versatile machine with lots and lots of potential.

tl;dr: I need a portable gaming platform, and the Vita fits the bill with it's form, function, and software library.

I was going to post something like this. I'm almost 36, and have been gaming since the 2600. Is the Vita perfect? Of course not. But it just irks the shit out of me to read all the corksniffers nitpicking soooooo much crap. I'm guessing they're young and spoiled. Because this has been a dream system of mine for close to 30 years. It's just cool to be able to appreciate how cool this is, and the times we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom