• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you assumed that Sony was full of shit in the first place with the announcement. So did I. And that's... cool? Whatev's?

The writing has been on the wall ever once SCEJ announced the program. I'm sorry you had your hopes up. But really, this was a pipe dream the best in the US.

Kurdel

Banned
No!
Of course not!
And Uncharted as well.

He makes no sense.

This thread really is something!

I stress out multiple times this is my personal opinion, and you persist? You do realize how agressive and defensive you guys are acting because of someone else's opinion on an unreleased game? I didn't claim to be right, or you to be wrong, but your panties got twisted so hard you seem to be lashing out without even considering how absurd this is or reading.

This is completely ridiculous. This is why I barely post on the gaming side. People flip out as soon as you say your opinion about their precious, even if you say you would be glad to be proven wrong once the game comes out.

Fucking videogames and the people who love them...

I think I will use my discount to get Rayman, I'm a sucker for 2D hand-drawn games, plus I can always sell it after I platinum it, right? How long is Rayman Origins anyway?

Going to grab Super Stardust and Escape Plan with my US account. Should be set for a month or two lol.

Any good games except Unit 13 coming in after launch?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
The writing has been on the wall ever once SCEJ announced the program. I'm sorry you had your hopes up. But really, this was a pipe dream the best in the US.

Pretty crappy waiting 'til two weeks before launch to clear it up.

I have always wanted the latest, coolest portable hardware, ever since the Atari Lynx. I was a really loyal PSP customer, rarely bought used, but didn't really trust the digital distribution channel. Got a whole shelf full of UMDs though. Well I guess I stop there. Don't trust 'em anymore.

I suppose those of you still on board should start carefully considering getting digital instead of the carts for Vita games now, right? What possible reason would you buy another proprietary physical game format from them?

Raine

I suppose those of you still on board should start carefully considering getting digital instead of the carts for Vita games now, right? What possible reason would you buy another proprietary physical game format from them?

There is no promise to play games from a previous system on a new one. Get over it. Jeezus.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

I stress out multiple times this is my personal opinion, and you persist? You do realize how agressive and defensive you guys are acting because of someone else's opinion on an unreleased game? I didn't claim to be right, or you to be wrong, but your panties got twisted so hard you seem to be lashing out without even considering how absurd this is or reading.

This is completely ridiculous. This is why I barely post on the gaming side. People flip out as soon as you say your opinion about their precious, even if you say you would be glad to be proven wrong once the game comes out.

I don't even like the games you claim I'm defending. Lol.
It's your improper descriptor combined with the ironic choices of the games you claim don't fit that mold (when they do) that got replies out of people.

To be fair, you incorrectly called them shovelware. On a place that is entirely text based for communication, it helps to use terminology correctly in order to convey what you're saying.

I think I will use my discount to get Rayman, I'm a sucker for 2D hand-drawn games, plus I can always sell it after I platinum it, right? How long is Rayman Origins anyway?

Going to grab Super Stardust and Escape Plan with my US account. Should be set for a month or two lol.

Gravity Rush and Disgaea 3. That's about it, for now. :)

I don't even like the games you claim I'm defending. Lol.
It's your improper descriptor combined with the ironic choices of the games you claim don't fit that mold (when they do) that got replies out of people.

Plus scouring behind the "its my opinion" defense just as he/she got called out.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
To be fair, you incorrectly called them shovelware. On a place that is entirely text based for communication, it helps to use terminology correctly in order to convey what you're saying.

Exactly.

I think HSG, Lumines, and Ridge Racer suck but I'd never call them shovelware.

I have always wanted the latest, coolest portable hardware, ever since the Atari Lynx. I was a really loyal PSP customer, rarely bought used, but didn't really trust the digital distribution channel. Got a whole shelf full of UMDs though. Well I guess I stop there. Don't trust 'em anymore.

I switched to all digital PSP games during the great PSN update of October 2009 when the GO was released and bought a 16 GB card for PSP 2000. The few physical games I bought were XSEED's deluxe editions for Lunar, Ys series and TitS.

With Vita I ave a simple strategy. All PSN exclusive and multiplayer games are downloaded. Strictly single player games (Uncarted GA, Gravity Daze/Rush, etc) will be physical purchases so I'll lays ave a cart in the system. Everything lse will be rented from Gamefly.

Because I'm buying for the system I have now, not the system I might have in seven years. Sony is selling you games for the system you have now, not some theoretical future system. Keep a PSP around for your Umd games. If it's so essential to have your Umd games on the Vita, sell them and use the money to buy digital.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Because I'm buying for the system I have now, not the system I might have in seven years. Sony is selling you games for the system you have now, not some theoretical future system. Keep a PSP around for your Umd games. If it's so essential to have your Umd games on the Vita, sell them and use the money to buy digital.

That guy is ridiculous as well, don't bother.

DBT85

Only if we previously bought games based on the ideal that they will be playable on the next generation. I never have, since its a silly thing to assume.

On that basis, games that I'll play a lot and for a long time will be digital. Games that I do not will be retail.

If that means in 7 years time I can't play Uncharted GA on the PS Vita 2 PSP Go then you know what? I won't give a shit. The old hardware will still work so if I'm that bothered I'll use that.

btkadams

i believe lbp is coming in may.

Apath

Read my post again buddy!
Are you really that dense? There is a difference between not liking a game and thinking a game is garbage. I personally hate Alan Wake. But do I think the game is garbage or shovel ware? No. Liking a game is an opinion. I'd say relegating a game to shovel ware is not an opinion, and at the very least requires justification. You do not get to call something shit and then stick you fingers in your ears and chant "LA LA LA OPINION" when people call you on it. Explain why you think those games are shovel ware or you are just being a troll.

And this is not a defensive post; I do not like Hot Shots Golf. However your lack of ability to back up your statement under the guise of "opinion" does not sit well.

EDIT: I'm wasting my time.

btkadams

vita cart ports are far more likely to be in the next sony handheld because of their small size. regardless, i've always preferred downloading games because then i don't have to carry shit around. i'll probably buy what i can digitally, but if there are deals on retail games i'll get them.

I switched to all digital PSP games during the great PSN update of October 2009 when the GO was released and bought a 16 GB card for PSP 2000. The few physical games I bought were XSEED's deluxe editions for Lunar, Ys series and TitS.

With Vita I ave a simple strategy. All PSZn exclusive and multiplayer games are downloaded. Strictly single player games (Uncarted GA, Gravity Daze/Rush, etc) will be physical purchases so I'll lays ave a cart in the system. Everything lse will be rented from Gamefly.

XSEED has TitS on sale this week on PSN if you want a DD copy to play on the Vita. Lunar SSH is also reduced now to $15.

vita cart ports are far more likely to be in the next sony handheld because of their small size. regardless, i've always preferred downloading games because then i don't have to carry shit around. i'll probably buy what i can digitally, but if there are deals on retail games i'll get them.

I wouldn't count on Sony making another dedicated handheld or using the same carts in the future.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Yeah less than a year out from their digital distribution platform being hacked and unavailable for a month and a half, and I'm supposed to shrug and accept that if I had trusted it with all my purchases, I could enjoy my portable library on one device to carry around.

I have a reasonable argument and concern, but I am in the wrong place for anyone to care. I get that. Good luck, guys. Hope everything goes well.

Apath

Yeah less than a year out from their digital distribution platform being hacked and unavailable for a month and a half, and I'm supposed to shrug and accept that if I had trusted it with all my purchases, I could enjoy my portable library on one device to carry around.

I have a reasonable argument and concern, but I am in the wrong place for anyone to care. I get that. Good luck, guys. Hope everything goes well.
Dude just fucking stick with the PSP. Your concept image of the UMD attachment may as well just be a PSP taped to the back of the Vita. This has to be the 50th post you've made about this.

I'll agree with issues with DD, but you're way off on the expectation of backward compatibility.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Dude just fucking stick with the PSP. Your concept image of the UMD attachment may as well just be a PSP taped to the back of the Vita. This has to be the 50th post you've made about this.

Good luck friend.
You're going to need it when you want to play your Vita games on the PS Trilium in 6-7 years. Silly boy.

Kurdel

Banned

Sure. Next time I am casually giving my opinion on games, I will make sure to weigh my words to avoid people flipping out :)!

Explain why you think those games are shovel ware or you are just being a troll.

Um, no. I don't need to justify anything here, and that saying that makes me a troll shows the maturity of this discussion.

I simply stated my opinion and it was poorly worded. I should said that those games looked like generic launch window fodder compared to a portable version of a console franchise and a full port of a current gen game.

I do not hold this as a Truth and will not defend it, becuase of the fact that I have yet to play either of these games.

Think we should wait a bit until closer to launch when a respectable amount get their hands on a Vita?
No, you might as put it up now and start adding content to it. I know m0dus have been working on making a few nice backgrounds. The only important thing is that whoever makes the thread, should be willing to also update it semi-regularly.

it's not a sale, it's now the regular price, XSEED dropped the prices

Ah, sorry. When I logged in to media go to check prices for him they were under the promotion tab. Glad to see price drops. Going to pick up both Lunar and TitS at the Vita launch. I love XSEED and want to throw them some money :)

The price of YS I & II also dropped. Glad to see this happening. I hope Atlus does the same.

Me too. I think that these smaller companies will really benefit from DD. Now they can keep niche titles in print and maintain a longer revenue stream from them!

Imbarkus

I'll agree with issues with DD, but you're way off on the expectation of backward compatibility.

Good luck friend.
You're going to need it when you want to play your Vita games on the PS Trilium in 6-7 years. Silly boy.

nintendo-3ds5-150x150.jpg
PlayStation3-150x150.jpg
wii.jpg
xbox360ap.jpg
nintendo-ds_lite-150x150.jpg
Systems_Gameboy_%20Advance_White-1.jpg

I know, right? Crazy how I came up with that all by myself out of the blue. Anyway, peace!

If anyone wants to go through a little effort, Lockerz has some really awesome deals on Vita stuff. 3G Launch bundle for $239, Hot Shots/Modnation/LittleDeviants for $21, 32GB Memory for $75, Uncharted for $35 etc.

http://shop.lockerz.com/electronics/playstation-vita.html

I've found that the best way to grind up points for the discounts is to watch "Behind The Seams" videos in the video section (and ignore/mute them while they play b/c theyre horrible) for 300 points and you can get points to apply quickly/easily.

I picked up HSG. Debating on a couple more...

PlayStation3-150x150.jpg
wii.jpg
xbox360ap.jpg

I know, right? Crazy how I came up with that all by myself out of the blue. Anyway, peace!

PS3 removed backward compatibility for PS2
Wii removed backward compatibility for GC and doesn't work with N64, SNES, or NES carts
360 doesn't have backward compatibility
3DS won't play my GBA, GBC, GB games
DS won't play my GBA, GBC, GB games

Apath

Um, no. I don't need to justify anything here, and that saying that makes me a troll shows the maturity of this discussion.

I simply stated my opinion and it was poorly worded. I should said that those games looked like generic launch window fodder compared to a portable version of a console franchise and a full port of a current gen game.

I do not hold this as a Truth and will not defend it, becuase of the fact that I have yet to play either of these games.
How would you define someone as a troll? Someone who pops into a thread, makes an inflammatory remark, and then refuses to give reasoning behind it? If not that, then what?

You talk of maturity, but all you're doing is making passive aggressive insults. You've called everyone immature and belittled people for questioning you. This is a video game enthusiast's discussion forum. We discuss games. If you had worded your post like the bolded, sure you'd have people disagreeing with you, but you wouldn't be regarded as a troll nor would you get such harsh responses. "These games look generic because.." is a much more mature and well reasoned post than "these games are shovelwear lol?"

PlayStation3-150x150.jpg
wii.jpg
xbox360ap.jpg

Oh, I didn't realize all of those console's predecessor's formats were based on shit technology that would hinder any device that runs it, known that it would be tossed to the side for the next system years before its successor's announcement. Silly me!
PS3 removed backward compatibility for PS2
Wii removed backward compatibility for GC and doesn't work with N64, SNES, or NES carts
Wii removed it 4-5 years after release; N64 and previous generations are more than a one system gap, which is what he's arguing.
360 doesn't have backward compatibility
Yes it does. Just not total backwards compatibility.
3DS won't play my GBA, GBC, GB games
Again, more than a one generation leap.
DS won't play my GBA, GBC, GB games
It did play GBA games until the DSi model. Which was what? Three years after launch?
I don't disagree with where you're coming from, I just see no reason to be so against his post when it's contrary to the point.

Well you can always go back to complaining about it non-stop on your twitter account and continue begging media outlets to print your mock-up and article.

Your concern is really not that reasonable. Backwards compatibility simply isn't a necessary feature for most consumers, as is evident by the fact that Sony, and Nintendo removed it from their consoles, and MS only made a fraction of games compatible by software updates before stopping. Most people simply don't care. Your one man crusade about the matter only serves to make you look like a crazy person.

Apath

Well you can always go back to complaining about it non-stop on your twitter account and continue begging media outlets to print your mock-up and article.

Your concern is really not that reasonable. Backwards compatibility simply isn't a necessary feature for most consumers, as is evident by the fact that Sony, and Nintendo removed it from their consoles, and MS only made a fraction of games compatible by software updates before stopping. Most people simply don't care. Your one man crusade about the matter only serves to make you look like a crazy person.
I'd say a lot of people care about backwards compatibility, but there is a very clear limit. When supporting backwards compatibility means bulking up the device, throttling battery life, driving up costs, and leads to excessive load times I'd say we hit that point. If the PSP used carts like the DS, these discussions would be going the opposite way.

Anyone planning on opening a PS Vita Wallpapers |OT|?

Was hoping for this myself! I've always enjoy some of the art you guys come up with, be it mock up cover art or just funny gifs. Would be nice to see some custom backgrounds instead of just pics from a Sony site.

Another question, do you guy know if the PDP cases will be available at Gamestops? I have a friend who works there and i'm using him for his discount =)

Kurdel

Banned
How would you define someone as a troll? Someone who pops into a thread, makes an inflammatory remark, and then refuses to give reasoning behind it? If not that, then what?

You talk of maturity, but all you're doing is making passive aggressive insults. You've called everyone immature and belittled people for questioning you. This is a video game enthusiast's discussion forum. We discuss games. If you had worded your post like the bolded, sure you'd have people disagreeing with you, but you wouldn't be regarded as a troll nor would you get such harsh responses. "These games look generic because.." is a much more mature and well reasoned post than "these games are shovelwear lol?"

What is this? Grandstanding on an Internet forum!?

Just let it go dude. If you ever find yourself at the point of looking into the intentions of a person when they posted a comment, which they later clarified, 45 minutes after the fact, it is time to get off the Internet.

But, sure. Internet is serious business and you want to win Internet points. Being confrontational and calling people trolls has always been the best method of getting noticed!

Apath

What is this? Grandstanding on an Internet forum!?

Just let it go dude. If you ever find yourself at the point of looking into the intentions of a person when they posted a comment, which they later clarified, 45 minutes after the fact, it is time to get off the Internet.

But, sure. Internet is serious business and you want to win Internet points. Being confrontational and calling people trolls has always been the best method of getting noticed!
I bet you're the type of person who slides angry notes under doors when you don't like your roommate.

I am slowly warming up to this console.

I don't know what happened. Maybe the realization that I have been spending less time with my PS3 (or my Steam account) than I've spent with it before it even exited, and somehow the Vita seems like the only thing I'd actually find time to play.

Also, man, some of these launch titles are damn hard to resist. I think if WipEout was 60fps I'd take 250 bucks out of my "new car" fund.
Thank god it's not, amirite?

Kurdel

Banned
I bet you're the type of person who slides angry notes under doors when you don't like your roommate.

Wow, you are really a piece of work!

Seeing you failed to latch on to your accusations of trolling, you aim an oblique jab at my personality? What do you want out of this? There are no up votes here, you just come off as a dick...

edit: I am out of here. PM me if you have any cool one liner or come back to avoid polluting this thread any further.

Imbarkus

Maybe. Vita brought it out in me because they offered the BC to the digital platform only. But the digital platform bugs me. I have games from decades ago, that I still hook up and play.

Sure I can do the same with the platforms I have so far. Including PSP. But the more pressures that push things digital-only, the less and less physical media will actually be released and exist. The less and less people will be able to retain and have access to game collections years from now, regardless of platform, because, like DLC for XBox 1 games, the only outlet available will just be gone. And the more and more we'll be re-paying to re-buy something we have bought already. Is my incessant ire that you've noticed because of the backwards compatibility or about the digital distrust? Vita made it about both.

So okay. No compatriots, fellow sympathizers, or understanding on NeoGAF, in the Vita launch thread. Twitter got me some understanding responses, as did some other forums. I'm trying to respond reasonably to the potshots you want to take at me. I don't write about games for a living. Good for you for doing so. Me, I go on about something when a passionate viewpoint grips me.

And if I'm alone here, and you want to construe that to mean I'm alone in the world on this, I have no need to disavow you of the notion. But I honestly don't think it's true.

raven777

Just a question about gravity rush release date in US.

I see the dates in Amazon as May 29, and I heard from somewhere here that it is actually a launch title for Europe (DL only).

If I am not mistaken European launch is sometime during February as well, right?

so why is US getting this game so late compared to Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom