• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubes7844

Banned
So I was playing until dawn and when I was dodging saws and boards my arms were all over the place and killed the immersion for me. How can i fix that? It made the 3rd boss harder than it should've been.

The viewpoint drifting issue seriously kills any joy I have with the system. I've tried endless calibrations, moving the camera all around, different distances, etc.

I hope it's fixed and it seems be software related, because backing into XMB it's all fine and centred, but the in-game view is completely off.

Putting it away for now... sad

Shit me too. I'm hella addicted to thumper, but after a few minutes the viewpoint shifts like 90 degrees to the left and it becomes unplayable.

I've reset the system, unplugged everything, changed the camera position etc.

I may return this to Amazon.

jrcbandit

Damn, I'm very conflicted, only going to pick up 1 new release this week and I need to decide between Tethered and Windlands. Windlands seems more like my style of game but Tethered is getting such awesome reviews/impressions.

So I was playing until dawn and when I was dodging saws and boards my arms were all over the place and killed the immersion for me. How can i fix that? It made the 3rd boss harder than it should've been.
Until Dawn seemed to work best for me when I had the camera above the TV and sat within 5 feet in a swivel chair. When I tried longer distance or below the TV, I'd get the weird arm thing eventually, looking like one or both arms were broken lol.

Shit me too. I'm hella addicted to thumper, but after a few minutes the viewpoint shifts like 90 degrees to the left and it becomes unplayable.

I've reset the system, unplugged everything, changed the camera position etc.

I may return this to Amazon.

Any reflective surface in view of the camera?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Tethered is the real deal. It's totally awesome.

I finished the first world after 32 minutes of game time and I was shocked to find I was not in fact a god but a man sat on a bean bag taking off his PSVR.

I was totally immersed in the game. I totally lost myself. Amazing really.

Blur except for looking around doesn't bother me in the slightest as vibration from racing always fucks with your vision, being use to going fast in a variety of wet conditions, in old bangers and race cars, as well as being used to wearing a helmet (which the HMD helps add to the immersion massively) all go to help lessen the fidelity issues whilst racing. Apart from the blur which does let the game down even though I don't find it much of an issue it certainly doesn't feel like it is cobbled together but I do expect it to handle like DC not RL.
Oh I get that it's not RL. I played the hell out of DC so I know what DC is like. I am just saying it feels forced. None of that game was designed for VR, IMO, and it shows in the worst ways.

Getting back to my earlier poiny, I know a lot of people turned off by DC which is why I said it's a bad first showing. I can guarantee I would have never given VR a second try if DC was my first foray into VR.

I've had this problem in VR Worlds -- London Heist shooting range. Powering down everything worked.

The really weird part is when the issue presented itself, and I hit the Playstation Button to go to the PS OS menu, the home screen comes up perfectly centered. That seems to indicate it's a software bug in the game(s), and not something in the VR tracking layer itself.
Non-game applications use the gyro, not LEDs, it's why you can rotate but not move around the screen. That's why it's different.

Welp I caved and bought RIGS, you mofos convinced me (I know I'm going to love it). Now I just need someone to play it with.

Duuuude! Rigs is awesome. I'm still learning and unlocking stuff but we should get some GAF teams going end zone online 3 vs 3 is the SHIT!

It's amazing how deverse this launch lineup is.

How is Super Stardust? I don't think I've heard a word about it. Is it even out?

Haven't played its VR/shooter mode but I wasn't too impressed with the game in VR. Probably will look better in PSVR via pro but it looked really pixellated. I have a 3D tv and I think it looks better that way for 3D even if its not vr.

orioto

Good Art™
Bought Windlands, this is certainly not for everyone lol. You need super VR legs for this, super hero legs!

Anyway i really like it cause of the way it's a core platformer game, more than any other. It's all about finding a way and aiming!

Yeah man absolutely! So happy I bought it. Haven't even finished but already feel like I'll get my money's worth just replaying scenes.

Agreed, Batman was sooo good. They really need to make another, even bigger one.

Anyone else getting excited for 'Robinson The Journey'? 3-5 Hours + Collectables sounds fairly meaty for a VR experience.

Yup, I'm really excited for this one.

Yes. After playing Batman, it made me realize just how perfectly fine and comfortable it is to teleport in VR. It sounded weird before trying VR but makes perfect sense. Standard locomation without a cockpit is instant barfbag.

Yeah, teleporting isn't that bad at all.

Played BF1 first single player mission in Cinematic Mode.
It was pretty good. On the biggest screen setting, it really felt like I was really there. Aside from the loss of details I can see myself playing the rest of the campaign like this.

But not the MP. While it was sweet, I can't properly aim and everything feel a tad to big.

Carl

Tethered is the real deal. It's totally awesome.

I finished the first world after 32 minutes of game time and I was shocked to find I was not in fact a god but a man sat on a bean bag taking off his PSVR.

I was totally immersed in the game. I totally lost myself. Amazing really.

Great to hear. Totally bummed that i won't get to play it properly until Friday night, thanks to spending tomorrow evening and all of thursday out with the gf :( But i can't wait to get stuck into it once i'm back

JSR_Cube

Done the first three levels of Tethered. It is great!

I just don't know the music cues yet. Some times I get music that sounds ominous but I am not sure why.

I don't get some of the building upgrades as well.

KORNdoggy

Oh I get that it's not RL. I played the hell out of DC so I know what DC is like. I am just saying it feels forced. None of that game was designed for VR, IMO, and it shows in the worst ways.

Getting back to my earlier poiny, I know a lot of people turned off by DC which is why I said it's a bad first showing. I can guarantee I would have never given VR a second try if DC was my first foray into VR.

Non-game applications use the gyro, not LEDs, it's why you can rotate but not move around the screen. That's why it's different.

I LOVE driveclub. More so than the vanilla game. Scale, immersion and being able to accurately sense distance just makes it so much better. Is the IQ a bit low? Yes. Does it really matter? Not really. It probably helps that i didn't get a single lick of motion sickness from it which i hear is a common complaint (didn't from here they lie either)

Easier to play. More fun. More immersive. Next to rigs and battlezone its my favorite launch title.

Fisty

Anybody give 100ft Robot Golf a try? I'm not really into golf games but I've been missing my Monster Factory so I'm thinking $20 might not be too bad for some McElroys

Done the first three levels of Tethered. It is great!

I just don't know the music cues yet. Some times I get music that sounds ominous but I am not sure why.

I don't get some of the building upgrades as well.

Damn, I spent a good 45 min to an hour just on the tutorial island, extremity fun so far but I had to go and save randomly and couldn't find the option so I just quit out, thinking it would save.

It doesn't save :(

Grinchy

Banned
Brookhaven Experience is a lot of fun. Really cool game. When you suddenly have a zombie behind you that you didn't know about and you turn around and see a full, life-sized, disgusting death creature wailing away at you, it's fucking scary.

I just wish the tracking wasn't so awful sometimes. When you're pointing forward, everything is fine. But having to aim to the sides can be a problem. Accuracy is one of the biggest stats for giving you money in the Survival rounds. Your accuracy gets fucked hard by PSVR tracking, though.

somme

Any idea when the Brookhaven Experiment is coming to the UK?

Tethered is great fun. Feels like a mixture of the artificial life sim Creatures and God-sim Populous.

King_Moc

Banned
Just done the first couple of levels of Tethered. It seems really good and is very immersive, though i'm wondering how it's going to handle difficulty later on. Already, it seems like the tactic is just to throw more enemies in than your Peeps can really handle. Is there any way to get more than 2 heroes? Can you build a second Barracks?

somme

Just done the first couple of levels of Tethered. It seems really good and is very immersive, though i'm wondering how it's going to handle difficulty later on. Already, it seems like the tactic is just to throw more enemies in than your Peeps can really handle. Is there any way to get more than 2 heroes? Can you build a second Barracks?

Yes and Yes!

CyberChulo

Bought Windlands, this is certainly not for everyone lol. You need super VR legs for this, super hero legs!

Anyway i really like it cause of the way it's a core platformer game, more than any other. It's all about finding a way and aiming!

Do you use two motion controllers or just the ds4?

I've been showing off the psvr to all my friends and family. It has been a huge hit. However, my mom HATED it. She had it on for about 30 seconds and she adamantly requested I take it off of her. She said it was unnatural and terrifying, lol. She's 64 FYI! It was the underwater demo.

I'm having a neighborhood Halloween party this weekend and everyone knows I have this and there is quite a buzz over people wanting to try it out. Should be pretty sweet!

I had similar experiences with my 10 y/o nephew who is a huge gamer, my 20 year old niece, who's also a geek and gamer, and my wife who isn't a gamer at all. None of them got sick, but none could make it through the shark demo in PSVR Worlds. I'm super bummed out because as much as I'm loving VR, some of the joy is snatched when there's nobody to show it to.

You know what i'm itching for in VR? Something like Cooking Mama. There's a GEAR VR game that kind of scratches that itch, but yeah, Cooking Mama would translate quite well to PSVR.

D23

Could Tethered be the highest PSVR game yet? Someone should make a review thread. This game needs to be heard and played!

gpn

Since m0dus seems anxious for VEV impressions, I'll post mine. :)

I was getting a headache during my play session last night, but more from how the helmet was sitting on my head; for some reason I had trouble getting it comfortable this time. All I ended up doing was Ocean Descent full version and VEV.

With VEV I have to be honest and say I had no idea what I was doing. :p I started off in the water sample and really just swam around. I guess I was supposed to pick up the blue particles since they would absorb into my little swimmer thing, but pressing the controller buttons seemed to expend them. I need to do some research online so I can find out what to do. I did like the environment and maneuvered around a tardigrade (maybe two).

After dying in the water sample I tried out the blood sample. Fantastic Voyage is one of my favorite movies, so going around in the blood sample put a big grin on my face. I think I was getting attacked pretty quickly by things that reminded me of the antibodies from FV, and then soon after that a big blob absorbed my swimmer guy, and I'm guessing that was a white blood cell. That was the end of my play session. I'll definitely be back since I liked the visuals so much, but I need to find out what to do. :)

antibolo

Banned
Uh I just realized, World War Toons does not seem to be available in Canada??

Also hi everyone, I got my PSVR at launch and loving it so far, although I unfortunately get sick pretty easily in games with movement :/

Damn, I spent a good 45 min to an hour just on the tutorial island, extremity fun so far but I had to go and save randomly and couldn't find the option so I just quit out, thinking it would save.

It doesn't save :(

I read you cannot save mid level. Each level takes between 30 minutes to an hour to complete, so when you start a level, you have to be ready to spend that amount of time to finish it, or just pause the game and come back to it later.

jrcbandit

We have one more minor patch coming that takes into account some of your feedback by the way. So thank you for providing it. :)

I think a little more guidance about your goals would be great in the game. Like the two in vitro levels, I think the goals are to get above 1000 energy as well as survive the full 15 minutes? I didn't realize about the battery thing, I got close with the soil level with like 850+ energy. And of course you need to collect the energy pellets as much as possible before ingesting them - the game mentioned this as an aside about a score multiplier but it didn't stress how that's basically how you need to play the game to get any advancement. Originally, I was only collecting a few pellets before ingesting, then I started saving all my energy digestion for when it was about to run out instead of trying to hit 1000+ energy. I tried the blood and cerebrospinal fluid levels and never made it to the 15 minute survival times, damn WBCs.

Fisty

Wow just found the culprit of some tracking issues I've been having, turns out if the lights are low enough all my IKEA furniture lights up like a goddamn disco ball from the Move and headset lights. I blame SwedishGAF lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mac owners:

Somebody on the PSVR subreddit made an app so you can play 360/3D (+gyro tracking) videos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/59d93a/ive_made_a_macos_app_that_can_play_3d_180360/
That is pretty amazing. A shame that stock media player app doesn't support 3D/360 videos but only 2D, when one person was able to knock it out so quickly. Nice thing is he says the PSVR protocol was easy to use and not obfuscated in any way. They wanted to make this as easy as possible for hobbyists, it seems.

Briarios

I picked up Tethered, which I'm really enjoying, but I'm getting a lot of judder, especially when I look to the side -- the island moves in and out. It''s really distracting, and I'm not sure if I can keep playing if I can't get it fixed. Any suggestions? I've tried:

Powering down the PS4
Camera above & below the TV
Lights on & off
Did the camera setup in settings
Did the tracking lights in settings

I'm not sure what else to try.

Mezoly

I picked up Tethered, which I'm really enjoying, but I'm getting a lot of judder, especially when I look to the side -- the island moves in and out. It''s really distracting, and I'm not sure if I can keep playing if I can't get it fixed. Any suggestions? I've tried:

Powering down the PS4
Camera above & below the TV
Lights on & off
Did the camera setup in settings
Did the tracking lights in settings

I'm not sure what else to try.

Bring the camera closer to you. You could keep the camera at the same distance and while you are playing keep getting closer to the camera one step at a time until the judder stops .Once you figure out the distance either change your seat or the camera position to match the optimal distance. Worked for me in Wayward Sky.

Briarios

Bring the camera closer to you. You could keep the camera at the same distance and while you are playing keep getting closer to the camera one step at a time until the judder stops .Once you figure out the distance either change your seat or the camera position to match the optimal distance. Worked for me in Wayward Sky.

Oh, I should have mentioned -- I moved forward, too. Same thing.

Mezoly

Oh, I should have mentioned -- I moved forward, too. Same thing.

I see unfortunatly I don't have Tethered. Do you have this issue in other games? if not sure, try Wayward Sky demo and stay on the main menu you should notice the judder there. Just for reference my distance is exactly 4feet between the headset and camera.
I called Sony for this issue and they made me turn the ps4 off and unplug everything and then replug them so you could try that. They thought it was the extension cable but it turned out because I removed the extension cable I was forced to sit closer to the camera.

That is pretty amazing. A shame that stock media player app doesn't support 3D/360 videos but only 2D, when one person was able to knock it out so quickly. Nice thing is he says the PSVR protocol was easy to use and not obfuscated in any way. They wanted to make this as easy as possible for hobbyists, it seems.
Is that why my... Adult... movie files aren't working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom