• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjRalford

I've tried with lighting coming external from the room, lights in the room, and no lights on other than the TV.

Have you unplugged the PU to reset it?

Shut down your PS4 fully, wait for the PU to go red, then unplug it from the mains for a few minutes, after that plug it back in, start it up and see how it goes.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody give 100ft Robot Golf a try? I'm not really into golf games but I've been missing my Monster Factory so I'm thinking $20 might not be too bad for some McElroys

I'd give the game about a 5 (fun enough, but very repetitive), and the McElroys a 9 (would be 10, but there's not all that much dialogue recorded).

I tried the VR mode for a bit, and it's not all that great. 3rd person perspective is a trip, and the location of the camera was all over the place.

bumpkin

Man, this is turning into one of those "just a quick game" and next thing I know it's three hours later every time I fire it up... I can't recall the last time I was so addicted to something gaming related. All I wanted to do was play a few rounds of Danger Ball, and before I knew it, I had played some Scavenger'a Odyssey, London Heist and some VR Luge too. The challenges are getting tougher and tougher to beat, but I can't put this thing down.

Also, I got an email from Amazon about my Robinson preorder a little while ago. They've got it dated for November 8th now which I think is consistent with Crytek's blog post. Cannot wait!

Just finished Rez for the first time since I played my Dreamcast copy all those years ago.....I don't know what they're doing with the 3D effect in that game but it's trying to murder my eyeballs, I hope they add an in game slider or just dial it back a bit. Everything else looks natural but that Rez wants to cause my eyes pain.

Slixshot

Banned
Man, this is turning into one of those "just a quick game" and next thing I know it's three hours later every time I fire it up... I can't recall the last time I was so addicted to something gaming related. All I wanted to do was play a few rounds of Danger Ball, and before I knew it, I had played some Scavenger'a Odyssey, London Heist and some VR Luge too. The challenges are getting tougher and tougher to beat, but I can't put this thing down.

Also, I got an email from Amazon about my Robinson preorder a little while ago. They've got it dated for November 8th now which I think is consistent with Crytek's blog post. Cannot wait!

Thats me and rigs. I just want to keep playing.

ckohler

Wow just found the culprit of some tracking issues I've been having, turns out if the lights are low enough all my IKEA furniture lights up like a goddamn disco ball from the Move and headset lights. I blame SwedishGAF lol

I finally found my ideal configuration tonight. Kind of a no brainer but after all kinds of different camera heights, positions, etc. it bascially came down to this:

Always sit or stand 5 feet from camera.
If standing, put the camera on top of my TV (which is 5.5 feet from the ground facing slightly down).
If sitting, put the camera below my TV (which is 2.5 feet from the ground looking mostly forward).

That's it.

I leave the lights on in my room and as long as I'm standing directly center of the camera it works. Granted, the Job Simulator demo still sucks a bit but at this point I'm going to blame that game because in other standing games like Sports Bar VR I have no trouble. Also, the slow drifting left still happens in cinematic mode (I think that's a software bug) but thankfully the VR games stay centered now.

Man, this is turning into one of those "just a quick game" and next thing I know it's three hours later every time I fire it up... I can't recall the last time I was so addicted to something gaming related.

Same here. I've figure I'll knock out a few bonus medals in Tumble VR and I end up spending a couple of hours. It's really easy to loose track of time in there!

I also finished Until Dawn: Rush of Blood tonight and it was awesome. That final level is epic.

Finished volume coda last night, really enjoyed it.

I mean it was basically the standard game but the fact you were inside the building and playing on a hovering board was pretty cool, and all from a free update which was very much appreciated.

seb

Banned
Tethered is legit.
I have this pixeljunk Monster vibe, immediately replaying a level to move up the leaderboard for an island.
I wish you could stay on the island when your mission is complete. I like to max everything in my village when I play good god games like that. I get this feeling I have in Age of empire. It's a good sign :)

Anyone with kids realize they can't really play this without the other parent being home?

When I first got it, I was playing with it, with the intention of only playing it for a really brief period because I was testing something, while my wife was out and after my kids went to bed, and after I took it off I was surprised to see my daughter sitting next to me. She had come out, sat down next to me and was curious what I was doing since she hadn't really seen it before and I had no clue she was there at all. It's not like normal gaming at night where I'd be aware of my surroundings.

It's kind of scary how cut off from the world you can be. I'd have no clue if my kid was crying, hurt, if something caught on fire, etc.

xJavonta

Banned
Played the demo of Battlezone and damn it's intense. I was sweating.

Also got Job Simulator. Lots of fun but man that $30 price tag isn't justified by the little content imo.

Anyone with kids realize they can't really play this without the other parent being home?

When I first got it, I was playing with it, with the intention of only playing it for a really brief period because I was testing something, while my wife was out and after my kids went to bed, and after I took it off I was surprised to see my daughter sitting next to me. She had come out, sat down next to me and was curious what I was doing since she hadn't really seen it before and I had no clue she was there at all. It's not like normal gaming at night where I'd be aware of my surroundings.

It's kind of scary how cut off from the world you can be. I'd have no clue if my kid was crying, hurt, if something caught on fire, etc.

Yeah, I play after my daughter goes to bed. Ideally when both wife and daughter are asleep. Also, I limit my sessions to about an hour, which is plenty of time for me in VR. In this way, I can keep up with anything happening to my family.

majik13

Mac owners:

Somebody on the PSVR subreddit made an app so you can play 360/3D (+gyro tracking) videos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/59d93a/ive_made_a_macos_app_that_can_play_3d_180360/

Apparently you need to do this for the app to work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1eCSuzQqEs
But ccan you split it to you computer from the extension cable or does it need to split from the breakout box? Im assuming it shouldn't make a difference, but cant get it to work yet, by doing that, otherwise my computer isn't close enough to the breakout box.

Edit: Nevermind, this video explains it better, dont need the box connected to the pS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=aIornYZrmX8

Is that why my... Adult... movie files aren't working?

Yeah I think so, at least 3D videos, the current media player only got updated for 2D 360 vr videos, not 3D ones yet (just like it's currently missing 3D blu-ray in the headset as well). The vrideo app I think already had a few 3D 360 VR clips that we've apparently been able to play since launch day though, so it seems like it's obviously not a limitation of the headset just the current player which they'll hopefully update.

panda-zebra

I've been showing off the psvr to all my friends and family. It has been a huge hit. However, my mom HATED it. She had it on for about 30 seconds and she adamantly requested I take it off of her. She said it was unnatural and terrifying, lol. She's 64 FYI! It was the underwater demo.

Put mine on my 86 yo mother-in-law, The Deep, not the shark/story one (didn't want to terrify her, will save Kitchen for that). Surprisingly she got on OK with it. When I told her about 360 degree/3d videos of wildlife I wasn't sure she was going to take it off.

Don't let DC turn you off. It shouldn't exist, if it were up to me.

I'm glad it's not, it's my favourite game for psvr, but I understand where you're coming from - there are probably too many compromises to achieve something dc-like on psvr.

But yea, whoever put people inside the headset with DC as a first taster of psvr was completely irresponsible.

Slixshot

Banned
Seems like people enjoyed my last video, so I thought that I would come back with more RIGs! ^_^

RIGs: Hunting till the Buzzer

I tried a new Hunter RIG called "Bad Medicine."

y8619E.gif

X67j55.gif

76nvXy.gif

Love this game. Y'all need to get on it and we need some GAF game nights.

ffvorax

Damn I missed something for this trophy in Wayward Sky... I have all the "big" automata...

Good Looking Out
Collect all Automata capsule figures

But I found out sometimes You find some Blue bullets that are other "extra" automata... but I don't see any information on the game where I missed them... I mean for the robots You have on the right of the main menu the green dots that tell you if you miss a part, but for these extra they could be everywhere in the game... :(

Probably I will wait for a guide, 'cause I think maybe I only missed one or two... and already played it three times...

That said, nice game, buy it!

oudy79

Neo Member
Damn I missed something for this trophy in Wayward Sky... I have all the "big" automata...

Good Looking Out

But I found out sometimes You find some Blue bullets that are other "extra" automata... but I don't see any information on the game where I missed them... I mean for the robots You have on the right of the main menu the green dots that tell you if you miss a part, but for these extra they could be everywhere in the game... :(

Probably I will wait for a guide, 'cause I think maybe I only missed one or two... and already played it three times...

How long is the game?

panda-zebra

so i bought Arkham VR to binge-playthrough on tomorrow's national holiday.

I'm so freaking thorough ... i haven't even left the batcave after ... 45 minutes.

You're doing it right. I've read of people "beating it" in around that time or not much longer - really don't see the point rushing through something like this when there's so much to experience , interact with and discover at a pleasant pace.

here's 30 minutes of Windlands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOtOADmqew
looks like it could be a fun Spidermanish swinging platformer if you have your VR-legs

Good video - will be buying this as soon as I'm back from holiday, looks incredible (and more affordable than it did a day or two ago lol). Have my ps4/psvr with me but very little free time to use it much

Tethered is the real deal. It's totally awesome.

I finished the first world after 32 minutes of game time and I was shocked to find I was not in fact a god but a man sat on a bean bag taking off his PSVR.

I was totally immersed in the game. I totally lost myself. Amazing really.

oh ffs, then I'll be buying this as well - haven't spent this much on games for quite some time lol.

ffvorax

How long is the game?

As most of the VR I played a couple of hours I think... (maybe three if not rushed) puzzles are very easy.
Replay value just for collectibles if you miss them on the first playtrought.
Cute story, good graphic and sense of scale in some cutscenes.

Sure 9€ would be a more fitting price, but for now I consider these VR an investment for developers so I'm ok with the under 19€ prices if the game is short...

So I was playing until dawn and when I was dodging saws and boards my arms were all over the place and killed the immersion for me. How can i fix that? It made the 3rd boss harder than it should've been.

I was getting really frustrated with the game on the last level because of this issue - completely powering down the console then restarting cured the tracking issues and the jittering about for me (after reading this thread) so hopefully it'll do the same for you.

mr lurtle

Good Looking Out

I also missed the trophy but found one of the figures in each level which makes me believe it might be bugged unless there are more than one in each level

How long is the game?

I'd say around 4 hours. It's a great game albeit really easy.

Fliesen

Arkham VR was pretty amazing. Those
killer croc
moments really freaked me out.

great precedent for how immersive adventure / detective games can be in VR.

pfkas

Playing standing up and going down the elevator into the batcave and getting suited up was without hyperbole the most incredible experience of my long gaming life.

I've been getting incredibly jaded with games these last few years and feel like I've been going through the motions.

PSVR has changed all this for me and with a launch line-up where it's pretty much worth playing anything and everything that's out there, this is the most impressive launch I've ever known.

Even just drawing shapes in mid-air with HarmonixVR is stunning.

I wasn't sure where I'd stand with horror games, but I thought I would give it a go. Until Dawn is great, I love lightgun games and it's just like a cross between a roller coaster and ghost train. Harmless scares.

The kitchen demo was a bit more freaky. I handled it fine though but I could see others not liking it.

Stunning stuff.

I tried the DK1 a few years ago and it made me feel terrible so I sold it straightaway and it soured me on VR and how I'd be with it, but I've not suffered any sickness at all. Just feels incredibly natural. With decent headphones you can really lose yourself in the space. I still pop a ginger root tablet just to be on the safe side. I did feel a little funny with rigs but nothing terrible. That's not my kind of game anyway. I'll give EVE a go when I feel a bit more confident.

Looking forward to getting stuck into Tethered after all the rave reviews it's been getting.

Okada

I've played pretty much every PSVR game out there that's been known to cause VR sickness and not felt the slightest bit sick (DriveClub, Rigs, Battlezone, Here They Lie etc.) but man Windlands really got me.

I still feel a bit rough this morning from about half hour of playing it last night.

I'm wondering if someone could explain to me something as I really cannot work out the reasoning for it. The game concerned is DriveclubVR why does it look 10 times better on the TV/Streaming/Recorded footage than it does inside the headset. When you look at YouTube videos it looks pretty damn good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeQJ_Fq-t_s

But the image inside the headset tells a different story, surely if it's pushing that quality image to the TV, why is the resolution/image up the spout within the headset, surely it's not pushing out two renders at varying resolutions? Do we think that the Pro might bring parity between the clarity of the TV image and headset image?

KORNdoggy

I'm wondering if someone could explain to me something as I really cannot work out the reasoning for it. The game concerned is DriveclubVR why does it look 10 times better on the TV/Streaming/Recorded footage than it does inside the headset. When you look at YouTube videos it looks pretty damn good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeQJ_Fq-t_s

But the image inside the headset tells a different story, surely if it's pushing that quality image to the TV, why is the resolution/image up the spout within the headset, surely it's not pushing out two renders at varying resolutions? Do we think that the Pro might bring parity between the clarity of the TV image and headset image?

to me that is how it looks in headset. it's a soft image across the board. but the low res screen is exaggerating distant aliasing. i still think moment to moment driveclub is still one of the better looking VR titles despite it. get close to objects/cars/dashboard etc and it looks fantastic. but the sheer detail of the environment at distance causes a lot of shimmering. it's probably why games like rigs kept things super clean and simplistic.

majik13

Geez, completly sold on VR I spent just like 20 mins messing with all the balls/spheres in the VR Worlds main menu on the demo disc. So cool, I might need to buy it and play danger ball

to me that is how it looks in headset. it's a soft image across the board. but the low res screen is exaggerating distant aliasing. i still think moment to moment driveclub is still one of the better looking VR titles despite it. get close to objects/cars/dashboard etc and it looks fantastic. but the sheer detail of the environment at distance causes a lot of shimmering. it's probably why games like rigs kept things super clean and simplistic.

I agree close up it looks great, but I don't feel the TV output is representative of what i'm seeing inside that headset. I still love the game, have gotten all gold stars, done the venom time trial, just the grind to 60 really and others will come (10 minutes on the grass etc) till I get my Platinum. So I'm not shitting on the game, just wondering why in my eyes there is such a disparity between TV/YouTube to my headset image.

Geez, completly sold on VR I spent just like 20 mins messing with all the balls/spheres in the VR Worlds main menu on the demo disc. So cool, I might need to buy it and play danger ball

Well worth purchasing, Luge is probably the worst of the group but it's a nice little collection of games.

iratA

Finished Loading Human: Chapter 1, here's what I think.

Pros
~The Music/Soundtrack is awesome in parts (the ending tune will stick with me)
~Voice Acting is quite good too although the Dialogue is a mixed bag
~Once you get a hang of the controls its a very immersive experience
~Have a VR Relationship (although you play as a man, and the love interest is a female, can't change sex) Its handled pretty well with some sweet moments.
~Sci-fi setting in VR
~I only played with two move controllers, so its hard to say what a Dualshock 4 would be like. You can pick-up and interact with a heap of different things and some of the move integration with objects is very unique and satisfying. I quite literally had a light bulb moment.
~Took me a few hours to get through. Sorry didn't time my playthrough. I guess it took me about 3.5 ~ 4 hours to finish.
~Gives a good taste of how adventure games can work in VR and overall I can say I want more!

Cons
~ #1 is the player/character movement. Its serviceable and didn't make me motion sick but its a bit janky. The interaction with objects and the environment is handled better than player movement. Basically you point your move in a direction off screen left or right and press the Move button to make your character instantly face/teleport that direction. You then 'Hold' the Move Button to make your character travel forward with the ability to strafe just a little bit left or right while moving forward. Its not a bad control scheme, I just wish I could turn somehow in smaller increments. The 180 degree instant turn is awesome and surprisingly useful in a game like this.

~There could of been a lot more action/gunplay outside of one VR mission (yes you go into VR while in VR) The move works so well with gunplay I was left wanting more, what's here is barebones.

~I really struggled with the first button puzzle with the glowing lights, I ended up just pushing every button until I got it. Other than that, I never had to go to an online guide and was able to play through the whole thing without too much frustration, which is a common pitfall with some of these games.

Summary:
This is the type of experience I want more of, I hope this game sells enough to see its following chapters made. 7.5/10

KORNdoggy

I agree close up it looks great, but I don't feel the TV output is representative of what i'm seeing inside that headset. I still love the game, have gotten all gold stars, done the venom time trial, just the grind to 60 really and others will come (10 minutes on the grass etc) till I get my Platinum. So I'm not shitting on the game, just wondering why in my eyes there is such a disparity between TV/YouTube to my headset image.

you're face is really close to what is essentially a 720p display (since it's split in half for each eye) as i said. the res of the screen that 2 inches from your nose is exaggerating the distant shimmering caused by a lot of detailed objects in the distance (as opposed to a boxy, flat coloured environment seen in rigs or battlezone) if the screen 2 inches from your nose was higher resolution, the difference you're perceiving would be less.

You guys might want to keep an eye out for Windlands, it seems to be coming for ps4VR soon or it might have already be out.

windlands

I've played this yesterday and it pretty good. It's nice to explore the levels looking for hidden collectibles.
And holy crap, the grappling hook mechanic is really something in VR. I want this in the next Batman VR game! If only it was for the transitions between hight levels.
I was surprised I could play it in the most 'free' mode without getting nausea. But I can imagine some people could get sick soon in this game. So it's nice they've implemented various movement settings.

the_master

Every time I see somethign about World of Final Fantasy, I wonder how cool the game would be in VR.
-Turn based combat
-Slow paced map navigation

Seems perfect for VR, don't you agree? I wander if we shoudl make a petition

mclem

Here's probably the best place to ask this: What was the VR game - that I think was a PSVR exclusive - where the premise was that your hands were stuck in a puzzle box (which roughly mapped to the controller) and you had to figure out how to extract them?

This is what I was originally thinking as well. But then I played Windlands and you can see tiny details off in the distance which from the right positions look just as busy as something in DC and the worlds are pretty damn big and they have a better sense of depth to them but no blur. I really think it is due to a AA solution. The reason I think this is due to the fact that you can never really properly make out the smaller details even up close such as the dials as they are always blurry but can't make out individual pixels. If an AA solution wasn't involved due to the amount of details and resolution it would poke your eyes it it would be so jagged and shimmer like a disco ball, there is no shimmer at all anywhere and no jaggy edges. So ultimately I think it was a low overhead AA solution that keeps the majority of the core structure intact for a non jaggy/shimmery image but the trade off is that colours blur into each other which is exacerbated in the scenery that share a lot of similar hues.

f@luS

More than a member.
Guys does anyone know if the hdmi cable given with the PSVR is a high speed one ? (2.0) or 1.4

Wollan

Just played through the first level / tutorial of Tethered which took 41 minutes (which would fit as a perfect Demo, just saying). The diorama graphics is the first thing that strikes you.

There's a lot to do as you can upgrade your units to different professions to enhance certain abilities and similarly all constructed buildings can be further specialized. Tethering peeps to activities or clouds to improve material yields (or combine different type of clouds like sun and rain to create a rainbow), discovering tomes of knowledge, listening to prayers...

It has a day/night cycle like Minecraft in that monsters come out after it's dark (and each night gets harder and harder).

It's a lot of fun. Hopefully all the great reviews will give it some success.
One of the most pleasing aspects is the great music and various sound fx & cues.

Unfortunately I'm out... tracking issues couldnt be solved... jitter and drift too. Also wanted to instantly puke my guts out when playing Rigs and other FPS games.

Can i just say it is a BITCH to try and remember how all those cables and things were packed up even though they're labeled with numbers lol... christ it literally took me 25 minutes to get the damn thing back in the box!

I'll be following PSVR's progress closely and will likely be back with PSVR 2.0.

Enjoy guys/gals!

Z3M0G

RIGS just got even better.

I switched off the comfort setting that blacks out your cockpit after selecting your re-spawn point.
If you thought ejecting was cool, coming back down is even better.

So the game doesn't even demo that for you unless you go in and disable the option?

atomsk

Party Pooper
debating on if I want to play Windlands or not... so far the only things that have given me nasty motion sickness were World War Toons and Scavenger's Odyssey

Z3M0G

Unfortunately I'm out... tracking issues couldnt be solved... jitter and drift too. Also wanted to instantly puke my guts out when playing Rigs and other FPS games.

Can i just say it is a BITCH to try and remember how all those cables and things were packed up even though they're labeled with numbers lol... christ it literally took me 25 minutes to get the damn thing back in the box!

I'll be following PSVR's progress closely and will likely be back with PSVR 2.0.

Enjoy guys/gals!

What will you do with your PSVR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom