• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disktrasa

Banned
It hurts to say this, but i returned my psvr today, i am very impressed by it and am very happy that it seems to be very popular.

But, the thing is, i don't have time to play my regular games, bought bf1 last week, titanfall 2 tomorrow and then i won cod4 remaster och infinite warfare in a contest =)

I feel a little stressed over this, but i will buy it in the future when the timing is better, and maybe the v2 will come sooner the we think.

But, both me and my wife are really really impressed by it, my wife don't play regular video games, but she didn't want me to return it "i can't play no more horror games" (she loved kitchendemo, i freaked out)

PSVR, see you in the future, no doubt about that!

For those interested - uploaded yesterday to show Pixel Gear tracking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myw7ooXh8v4

20 minutes, 1st area, Hard.

My only complaint is collision detection for bullets and the "ghost/angel" mechanic.

Sometimes you will have a clear shot and the laser sight is dead on, but you will collide with another enemy or the environment.

Other times you will have a clear shot to shoot a ghost which is close to an angel (shouldn't shoot these, lose points) but you will hit the angel, instead.

The ghost/angel mechanic requires you to SEE them on screen to hit them, you have to look in their direction to be able to see them. If you can't see them, you can't shoot them, but occasionally you'll collide with an invisible ghost or angel, causing you to miss shots and lose points.

If you frame by frame a few bad shots you can see where issues arise several times while I'm playing where the laser is dead on when the bullet is fired and it will collide with another object, instead.

Other than that it's a fun game for the price. Great for kids. I'm hoping Lethal VR will have accuracy just as good.

For those interested - uploaded yesterday to show Pixel Gear tracking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myw7ooXh8v4

20 minutes, 1st area, Hard.

My only complaint is collision detection for bullets and the "ghost/angel" mechanic.

Sometimes you will have a clear shot and the laser sight is dead on, but you will collide with another enemy or the environment.

Other times you will have a clear shot to shoot a ghost which is close to an angel (shouldn't shoot these, lose points) but you will hit the angel, instead.

The ghost/angel mechanic requires you to SEE them on screen to hit them, you have to look in their direction to be able to see them. If you can't see them, you can't shoot them, but occasionally you'll collide with an invisible ghost or angel, causing you to miss shots and lose points.

If you frame by frame a few bad shots you can see where issues arise several times while I'm playing where the laser is dead on when the bullet is fired and it will collide with another object, instead.

Other than that it's a fun game for the price. Great for kids. I'm hoping Lethal VR will have accuracy just as good.

Watched some minutes of your vid. Good job! Tracking is spot on. Seems like a fun game also.

Z3M0G

Can you adjust the size/zoom of the cinema screen in real time using the controller? L2/R2 perhaps?

If not... quite an oversight.

Samus4145

Fucking hell. I just went to the PSN store to see what's new and there's a new VR game called Weeping Doll. Anyone try this out yet? So many games yo....

I played a preview build last month (link below). I enjoyed what I played. Solve puzzles as you explore the house with a hint of suspense (no jump scare or anything like that). Some of the puzzles reminded me of RE. Visuals were impressive since it uses Unreal 4, but has a very soft look that some may seem as too blurry. Plenty of details though if you take the time to look around.

http://www.selectbutton.com/previews/weeping-doll-hands-on-impressions-psvr/

I haven't gotten a chance to play the final build yet, but will dive into it this weekend.

Ozorov

Haha
giphy.gif

DjRalford

Oh, and honestly, if you like god sims / stratagy, get tethered, it's awesome, given how clean it looks already i can't even begin to imagine what a pro patch will do for it.

Ozorov

Oh, and honestly, if you like god sims / stratagy, get tethered, it's awesome, given how clean it looks already i can't even begin to imagine what a pro patch will do for it.

I asked the devs on twitter about a Pro-patch. No response yet. But yeah it's probably in my top 3 must-buys.

So I finally got around to trying the Kitchen demo. I noped out after
she decapitates the dude then all you hear is her moving around unseen. The 3D audio had me whipping my head left and right, not wanting her to sneak up on me.
Shit was just too intense for now and I didn't fully prepare myself mentally for it as I was just sampling some different stuff in VR. My adrenaline was pumping. I'll complete it eventually. Reminded me of playing P.T.. Noped out a couple of times before finally completing it. I don't know if I would've ever finished it in VR. I can see horror in VR giving some people heart attacks. Shit gets intense, even with the horrible IQ.

VR Worlds is absolutely NOT worth $40. London Heist and associated shooting galleries are the only compelling content on the disc, and it's incredibly short. They're all just tech demos that should have been included free with every PSVR like Playroom or the Demo Disc.

This is a little over the top an imo not accurate. Into the deep is cool although it's not interactive, it's an experience akin to watching a show on tv, which is one of the strengh of VR. It's not just for games.

I think you are selling danger ball short. It's a super fun game and is the secret killer app.

VR luge is more fun than expected but short.

Is it worth $40? That is up to the individual. Buy on amazon within the first 2 weeks and it's $32 if you aren't sure.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
PSVR makes PS4 a true next gen console. It's stunning. I'm so glad that Sony had the vision to go with this.

The folks at work keep asking about it. The thirst is real.

panda-zebra

Banned
So glad I saved most of Bound for VR, just finished up the last few levels this evening. A thoroughly amazing experience from start to end. Plastic deserve heaps of praise for this - that was a technically tight game with solid mechanics, fun physics to play around with at times and some very clever storytelling, having an almost Journey-like impact on me.

PSVR makes PS4 a true next gen console. It's stunning. I'm so glad that Sony had the vision to go with this.

Right, so given what I said above, I'm wondering if Bound would have got under my skin to the same extent if I'd just continued to play it on the TV... being inside those reconstructed memories with the pieced-together imagery and just as importantly the superb 3d audio as the scene forms, and at times feeling like you're right there there with the Princess stood facing you, all very powerful stuff.

doby

So I just got VR World's and have played Ocean Descent but I had no body. In previews I've seen a diving suit and flippers and yet I had nothing. Also the cage felt huge when I thought it would feel a bit more claustrophobic.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So I just got VR World's and have played Ocean Descent but I had no body. In previews I've seen a diving suit and flippers and yet I had nothing. Also the cage felt huge when I thought it would feel a bit more claustrophobic.

Nope. There is no body. You are just a floating set of eyes. It's still a fantastic experience.

I thought the cage felt just the right size. Have you set up your IPD correctly.

If I didn't have a newborn I'd have already bought one. :(

Family will always come first. But if you can pick one up along the way at some point you'll really enjoy it. It's awesome.

BaldusCattus

Neo Member
Is it suggested to sit [for Ocean Descent]? Im assuming so, but i feel some would want you to stand.
For what it's worth it was designed for standing, but whatever works for you and your setup.

I wish I could play through Scavengers Odyssey, haven't been VR sick until this game, even Driveclub was fine, I'll try again once I get the Pro
Something I wanted to pass on, as I sometimes had trouble with this, was that it's easy to get the scavenger craft's cabin and legs misaligned without realising, just by having your head facing slightly off-centre. This causes you to walk forward at a slightly unexpected angle, and because managing expectations is a big part of managing sim sickness, you may find it helps to keep an eye on this.

Kyolux

So if anyone is curious about any games I have / wants impressions before jumping in.. here's my list.

- Playstation VR Worlds
- Windlands
- Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
- Tumble VR
- Ace Banana
- Pixel Gear
- Weeping doll
- Batman: Arkham VR
- Job Simulator
- Loading Human: Chapter 1
- The Assembly
- Until Dawn Rush of Blood
- Wayward sKy
- Eve Valkyrie
- Rigs
- SportsBar VR
- Battlezone

I even think that PSVR feels like a new platform and not an accesory for PS4 ;) I never thought PSVR would strike me this hard. Tbh... I never saw these levels of excitement coming.

doby

Nope. There is no body. You are just a floating set of eyes. It's still a fantastic experience.

I thought the cage felt just the right size. Have you set up your IPD correctly.

Weird, I wonder why they removed the body for release.

Yeh my IPD is correct. All other games feel fine, the gap in the front of the cage felt like the shark could get though it (until I actually saw the size if it) and the air tank it bites was way above my head when I thought from watching previews that it was just above eyelevel.

Ozorov

So if anyone is curious about any games I have / wants impressions before jumping in.. here's my list.

- Playstation VR Worlds
- Windlands
- Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
- Tumble VR
- Ace Banana
- Pixel Gear
- Weeping doll
- Batman: Arkham VR
- Job Simulator
- Loading Human: Chapter 1
- The Assembly
- Until Dawn Rush of Blood
- Wayward sKy
- Eve Valkyrie
- Rigs
- SportsBar VR
- Battlezone
Yup

Wollan

Keep getting Grade E for spirit-energy harvest while getting Grade A for caretaking my peeps in Tethered. How can I say no to these guys:
tetheredannouncementtrailer-1465315317106_large.jpg

Kyolux

I'll compile everything tomorrow if some other people have different requests and post something more detailed then.

But real quick:

Windlands:

Amazing experience but you need your VR legs with some good muscles on them. There's some comfort options I haven't tried though so that may help.

Going around Spidey-style is a blast, especially at first. Falling down if you mess up may or may not induce vertigo (I have yet to get vertigo from VR in anything I've tried, and I get it in mmos when my character falls... not sure why)

Pixel Gear: Fun little shooter. You get 3 different levels. Beat the first one and its boss, which was pretty satisfying to fight against. You get upgrades by collecting money too and get 3 choices in-between waves. Pretty cheap compared to most games, so that's a plus.

Weeping Doll: I'm eating soon and then playing this. So no comments yet.

Loading Human: A very interesting experience that's about $10-20 too expensive. But it tries things in VR I don't think any other game did so far. But I may be wrong. It's a bit convoluted at times and a lot of time is spent going back and forth across the base. On the plus side, it last a good 5-6 hours I'd think? Maybe more, maybe less, I'm actually bad at noticing how long I play games, and in VR it's even worse. I'd say go for The Assembly first.

Assembly: Another adventure game, this one ask you how far should we go for the progress of science. It's a bit simple in its approach toward that, but I found that ok. You play two characters, one, a candidate that is being tested to join the Assembly. You get to go through 5 big "puzzle" challenges with her. Meanwhile, the other guy you play as wants to expose The Assembly for some of the horrible things they're doing. I did like it, though it only takes about 2-3 hours I think to go through. (once again, time-awareness not my thing).

Ozorov

I'll compile everything tomorrow if some other people have different requests and post something more detailed then.

But real quick:

Windlands:

Amazing experience but you need your VR legs with some good muscles on them. There's some comfort options I haven't tried though so that may help.

Going around Spidey-style is a blast, especially at first. Falling down if you mess up may or may not induce vertigo (I have yet to get vertigo from VR in anything I've tried, and I get it in mmos when my character falls... not sure why)

Pixel Gear: Fun little shooter. You get 3 different levels. Beat the first one and its boss, which was pretty satisfying to fight against. You get upgrades by collecting money too and get 3 choices in-between waves. Pretty cheap compared to most games, so that's a plus.

Weeping Doll: I'm eating soon and then playing this. So no comments yet.

Loading Human: A very interesting experience that's about $10-20 too expensive. But it tries things in VR I don't think any other game did so far. But I may be wrong. It's a bit convoluted at times and a lot of time is spent going back and forth across the base. On the plus side, it last a good 5-6 hours I'd think? Maybe more, maybe less, I'm actually bad at noticing how long I play games, and in VR it's even worse. I'd say go for The Assembly first.

Assembly: Another adventure game, this one ask you how far should we go for the progress of science. It's a bit simple in its approach toward that, but I found that ok. You play two characters, one, a candidate that is being tested to join the Assembly. You get to go through 5 big "puzzle" challenges with her. Meanwhile, the other guy you play as wants to expose The Assembly for some of the horrible things they're doing. I did like it, though it only takes about 2-3 hours I think to go through. (once again, time-awareness not my thing).
Thx for the impressions!

Kyolux

So anyone curious about Weeping Doll? If so I'll stream in a bit if you guys care to watch, laugh at me failing at puzzles and maybe getting scared?

Windlands - awesome, if you are averse to heights this one is for you! As mentioned above, VR legs required.

Tethered - fantastic! The game looks almost completely different in the headset. This game is just good.

Batman - if you like batman, you NEED this. Short but oh so sweet.

Pixel Gear - a fun little time sink. Nothing more than a shooting gallery in VR. Gives you a sense of what minecraft psvr could look like. If it weren't in Vr or it cost any more than it does I'd say skip this one, but if you want all the PSVR goodness you can get, this is fun!

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - great party game, great puzzler. Not really for solo play.

VR Worlds - this ones a tough one, it's a great showcase and the shark dive and London Heist were worth the $$$ for me. Luge is meh imo the pong and space experiences are fun, the latter requires VR legs.

Job Simulator - tracking issues will shine in this one but man I have a blast with it. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Aceofspades

Banned

Sony have been banking on VR since early 2000s, the technology is certainly more innovative than flailing your hands in front of a camera (Kinect) or a detachable tablet from Nintendo.

SJRB

Gold Member
How much playtime do you get out of Windlands and Tethered?

edit: fuck it, bought them both. I didn't spend 460 euros on hardware to NOT play games on it, goddamnit..! Let's goooooo

warthog

Bought the psvr today and wow, this really is amazing. Ocean Descent was awesome and spooky, didn't even get to the shark yet. Played some tethered now and that's a really great game for this tech imo, my thanks to those who talked about it here. Have to sleep now, more playing tomorrow.

somme

Some impressions:

Tethered
Love it! Definitely reminds me of the old artificial life sim: Creatures and Populous. I love the God-sim RTS genre though I'd never contemplated playing it in VR. It works so well. I really hope they add more the game or deliver a sequel. Hell, a Populous revival wouldn't go a miss.

Windlands
Made me queasy for a few minutes but I'd definitely gotten better at handling the more, sick-inducing, VR titles. I'm fine with this now. Swinging from tree to tree is definitely fun but the game can be infuriating at times. Accidentally jump and slightly hit a wall in the wrong direction and you'll off into the abyss.

Weeping Doll
Seems pretty lame to be honest. The voice acting is awful (it's English, I'm English, it's still too much), you can only move by teleporting, a choice would've been nice. And half the time things seem not to work properly. It took me ages to get a key in a door and when I successfully did I hadn't done anything different than before, or hadn't seemed to.

Vev
The first level is definitely the most dull. Soil and blood are pretty amazing. The music really suits it too. I really hope that's what it would actually look like to be in a blood stream, educational and fun!

PixelGear
Love it! Only three levels but it was very cheap. Aiming is great and the harder difficulty levels are challenging but never annoying. Hope they add more soon.

Clockwork5

I think I'm going to bite on Battlezone now that the patch has addressed difficulty concerns. Any impressions on the new balancing of the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom