• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIG - dayumn the tutorial took longer than I'd like as I was slowly getting nauseauted. The way they constrict your vision is quite interesting. You guys turning your view with head tracking or stick?? Finished the tutorial level with chief and quit the game. It was very late and I was quite tired. Looks amazing in VR. The AA is slick and the game looks pretty damn great. The full game has a lot of polish.

Kitchen. - outside of the initial "This sure is a jaggy mess" - PSVR really needs the pro for AA. then the demo gets going and I'm like How the fuck is this scary? And then it gets good and I had to shut my eyes for the last 30 seconds. lol. Resident Evil is gonna be amazing in VR ... on the PS4pro. Can't imagine playing a shimmering mess for 20 hours.

Eve Valkryie Demo.
Seriously, they thought this was a good idea. A demo that lasts like 3 minutes?

Housemate finally got to play PSVR and you can see/watch him go woah and/or smile (at the shark demo). He was very impressed. Rez and Thumper had him going "this is incredible". He also had no issue with the FOV.

bumpkin

Are you guys happy that you bought this on launch? Still wondering if i should buy PSVR..
I can't believe I almost didn't buy it, TBH. I've been playing it every day since launch and it hasn't gotten old. As I've said before, it's the first gaming related innovation that's excited me since the Wii.

DjRalford

Are you guys happy that you bought this on launch? Still wondering if i should buy PSVR..

It is hands down the greatest Videogame related purchase i have made for about a decade.

Edit - and after being a little sceptical as to what quality to expect from a standard PS4, i am amazed at what some of these games have achieved, so much so that i have now ordered a pro and am looking forward to seeing even greater looking games and experiences.

Kyolux

Weeping doll completed.

It's about an hour I guess. Puzzles aren't so bad. A bit obvious if you're used to escape rooms stuff. If not, you could get a bit more mileage on this.

It's not scary, but kind of really creepy though, and there's one place or two I made a jump.

I'd say grab it once it's $5 maybe?

DjRalford

Weeping doll completed.

It's about an hour I guess. Puzzles aren't so bad. A bit obvious if you're used to escape rooms stuff. If not, you could get a bit more mileage on this.

It's not scary, but kind of really creepy though, and there's one place or two I made a jump.

I'd say grab it once it's $5 maybe?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it

Kyolux

I should add. There's not much telling you that the game is over too. I spent 10 minutes or so wandering around thinking I may be missing something, only half-thinking the game ended because one of the room was being used as credits, but whatever happened just before wasn't really resolved. Only got confirmation once I checked trophies.

edit: In hindsight though. It's about half the price of going to a live escape room, and last a bit longer than the average one. So I don't feel had too much.

lt519

Just started Tethered, first thing I did when I got a temple was fried one if those smug little fuckers with a lightning bolt.

Fun though, looking forward to the rest of it.

I have ADD with VR it seems. I play a game for 30 minutes and then immediately want to try something different. Yet I've still got Thumper, Bound, and Battlezone to get through and I want to buy and try VEV.

Regrerting Battlezone and that's about it. Might offload that one.

quite happy with it. I already have the following games

VRworld
thumper
RIGS
until dawn ROD
tumbleVR
superhypercube
PlayroomVR
REZinfinite

that's a lot of game and I just wish I had more time to dedicate to it. The immersiveness can't be beat. They're sort of sold out and lots of people are waiting lists here in Aus. so good.

SJRB

Gold Member
Both Tethered and Windlands are amazing. AMAZING.

Easily the best games I've played on PSVR so far. The Spiderman sensation in Windlands is incredible, and I had zero sickness or diziness. I guess if you can handle Driveclub VR you can handle anything. Swinging around was so much fun. And the music is soooo nice.

And Tethered looks so nice, and the gameplay is super intuitive. And such a charming game too, had a fat smile on my face the entire time. I chuckled when I heard those little guys say stuff in the distance haha, so silly. I only did the tutorial, I wonder if there's a peaceful mode.

DjRalford

Easily the best games I've played on PSVR so far. The Spiderman sensation in Windlands is incredible, and I had zero sickness or diziness. I guess if you can handle Driveclub VR you can handle anything. Swinging around was so much fun. And the music is soooo nice.

And Tethered looks so nice, and the gameplay is super intuitive. And such a charming game too, had a fat smile on my face the entire time. I chuckled when I heard those little guys say stuff in the distance haha, so silly. I only did the tutorial, I wonder if there's a peaceful mode.

Tethered really is a beautiful game, i've been waiting all week for work to finish so i can get some more time with it, luckily i don;t go back to work after this morning until Tuesday so i can have a good go.

Phreaker

PSVR makes PS4 a true next gen console. It's stunning. I'm so glad that Sony had the vision to go with this.

The folks at work keep asking about it. The thirst is real.

I caved and said I'd bring it in tomorrow so people can try it. I am sure 1/2 the day will be wasted by my team, but it's Halloween Friday sooo....

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Probably already answered, but I should just buy the ps3 Move controllers that are properly priced and not the "new" refurbished pair that Sony is selling for $100, right?

KORNdoggy

Probably already answered, but I should just buy the ps3 Move controllers that are properly priced and not the "new" refurbished pair that Sony is selling for $100, right?

Just be aware that the old ones may have reduced battery life and won't hold charge as well. In some instances requiring you to buy replacement batteries anyway. They're otherwise the same so It's your call.

lt519

OMG tethered second level my guys started committing suicide haha. I'm so bad at RTS games. Still really fun though.

D23

Extremely happy with my purchase of PSVR! i wish i have more time to play it and more money to spend on all the games! this is truly groundbreaking and Sony did an amazing job for bringing VR to the mass consumer

antibolo

Banned

I'm super happy with it, even despite the disappointment of not being able to play Driveclub VR. I have to hold myself from buying every game (that doesn't make me too sick).

I just hope this will catch up well enough for Sony and 3rd parties to continue supporting it for long enough.

Mind blowing stuff. Biggest "wow" moment(s) since seeing the emerging 3D games back in 1995-1996

Anyway, I played Tethered today. Game is really fun! I very much recommend it. It's a solid game. Some people are calling it a strategy game, but I wouldn't let that scare you. It's very much a sort of management game. But being able to peek around at all these different parts of your floating island is excellent. Grab this one!

Gemeanie

So I've already got a VR backlog as I just keep jumping into Rez...

Beat Rez from Area 1-X for 6 times but haven't even completed Batman VR.

Speaking of backlog, I'm $10 away reaching $100 for the cashback but can't decide which last VR game I should get this month. Currently interested in Bound, Tethered and Superhypercube.

Would have gotten Tumble VR and solved the problem but I asked Supermassive Games on Twitter if they will do something to the annoying out-of-range buzzing noise and they never replied so I take it as a no.

Wow tonight may have been even better than release night for me.
I ended up going in and doing my first calibration. Also raised the camera and sat a little bit closer. Now I didn't use my Moves but everything else was so solid over about 2 hours. No wobble, no drift. Not that that was a big issue for me before but this just felt so good tonight.
So I finally got around to trying the Headmaster demo. Loved it! Looks fantastic, funny and fun. Felt like I was there in front of that net. Definite purchase in the near future.
Next thing my mom knocks on my door(Inlaw apartment). She knew I had this and was intrigued. She is 72. She tells me she wants to try something scary. I was really caught off gaurd as she's not one to watch scary movies.
I start her off on Ocean Descent. Just the VR Worlds menu blows her mind. On the descent she is in awe and when the shark comes she nearly crushes my hand as she reached out to hold me. She takes off the headset and I think she's done but I think she just didn't want to take up any more of my time. I ask her if she wants to try something really scary and she excitedly puts the Headset back on. On to the Kitchen. She handled it like a champ. A screaming, flopping and kicking champ but she did it and loved it. She can't wait to come over for more. She wants a VR roller coaster simulator. Again she's 72 lol
I'm then on my own and play the Thumper demo a second time. After finishing I just sit there in the exit/buy "screen". Good lord I highly suggest spending 5-10 minutes just there. So trippy and beautiful. No thumping just this ambient music. The sound and visuals my God!
Then I try the Rush of Blood demo for the first time. Holy shit! Nuts! Not sure what else to say about it.
Can't wait to pick up Tethered.
This thing is something else. Thanks for listening.

D23

I ended up going in and doing my first calibration. Also raised the camera and sat a little bit closer. Now I didn't use my Moves but everything else was so solid over about 2 hours. No wobble, no drift. Not that that was a big issue for me before but this just felt so good tonight.
So I finally got around to trying the Headmaster demo. Loved it! Looks fantastic, funny and fun. Felt like I was there in front of that net. Definite purchase in the near future.
Next thing my mom knocks on my door(Inlaw apartment). She knew I had this and was intrigued. She is 72. She tells me she wants to try something scary. I was really caught off gaurd as she's not one to watch scary movies.
I start her off on Ocean Descent. Just the VR Worlds menu blows her mind. On the descent she is in awe and when the shark comes she nearly crushes my hand as she reached out to hold me. She takes off the headset and I think she's done but I think she just didn't want to take up any more of my time. I ask her if she wants to try something really scary and she excitedly puts the Headset back on. On to the Kitchen. She handled it like a champ. A screaming, flopping and kicking champ but she did it and loved it. She can't wait to come over for more. She wants a VR roller coaster simulator. Again she's 72 lol
I'm then on my own and play the Thumper demo a second time. After finishing I just sit there in the exit/buy "screen". Good lord I highly suggest spending 5-10 minutes just there. So trippy and beautiful. No thumping just this ambient music. The sound and visuals my God!
Then I try the Rush of Blood demo for the first time. Holy shit! Nuts! Not sure what else to say about it.

I love reading impressions like this.
Your mom trully is a champ..I don't think my mom can handle kitchen demo. She would have a heart attack for sure.

SeanR1221

First night with VR ever.

I had some controller movement but I was also sitting about 7-8 feet away on my couch. I pulled up a chair to the recommended distance and that helped but I still get the shakes a bit.

As far as the immersive factor, once I got over the super low resolution, it was almost creepy how "real" it felt to my brain. I wanted to walk in job simulator. Until dawn made me feel like I was actually moving. And Rez was very surreal.

Definitely need to spend more time in it but I definitely felt wowed. Just hope the controller shaking improves.

Also when I took the headset off my ps was stuck in super low res and I had to restart it to fix that 🤔

I'm so impressed with Windlands! It's a simple, straight forward exploration and traversal game at heart, but because of its completely unlimited movement in all direction it's the first PSVR game I've played that has given me a good sense of what first-person, adventure and RPG games might be like in PSVR. I can see myself spending a lot of time in Windlands getting what I've starting calling my "daily PSVR fix."

Saberus

Been having a blast, but I'm holding back a little, want to experience these again on the Pro soon.

Oh, and when you do show family and friends VR and you decide you going to show them Ocean Descent and decide to play the Shark encounter without telling them... maybe rethink the idea when you realize their wearing a $400+ device

Had a heart attack when I saw the helmet fly across the couch.

Did you play Windlands with the "white spots". I read they used a horizontal plane of white spots you can see when looking down that research suggests helps reduce motion sickness.

Flandy

Been having a blast, but I'm holding back a little, want to experience these again on the Pro soon.

Oh, and when you do show family and friends VR and you decide you going to show them Ocean Descent and decide to play the Shark encounter without telling them... maybe rethink the idea when you realize their wearing a $400+ device

Had a heart attack when I saw the helmet fly across the couch.

How on Earth did it come off? Don't forget to tighten it from the back D:

I have no buyers remorse on this thing what-so-ever. Usually I do with bigger entertainment purchases, this one not so much. Everyone has got a kick out of it, I have had experiences in my living room that I may never have had. The hype is real on this one I think. Words don't really do it justice. If you let loose and allow yourself to be an actor in batman for instance, talk back to Alfred, make awesome batman poses, I'm in my 30s and I feel like a giddy little kid when I strap this kit on.

I had zero interest in the ps4 pro, now it is a must just for the better VR experience. I am also considering saving up for a vive now.

I had some controller movement but I was also sitting about 7-8 feet away on my couch. I pulled up a chair to the recommended distance and that helped but I still get the shakes a bit.

As far as the immersive factor, once I got over the super low resolution, it was almost creepy how "real" it felt to my brain. I wanted to walk in job simulator. Until dawn made me feel like I was actually moving. And Rez was very surreal.

Definitely need to spend more time in it but I definitely felt wowed. Just hope the controller shaking improves.

Also when I took the headset off my ps was stuck in super low res and I had to restart it to fix that 🤔
You were still viewing the conpanion screen you just have to force quit the VR game running

Hale-XF11

I wonder when we'll start seeing 3rd party psvr light shields. The one that came with mine is slightly warped and I wouldn't mind replacing it with something different, assuming the build quality is up to par of course.

Flandy

Played 20 minutes of windlands and oh my gooooooood
This is amazing
I don't understand how this game even exists. It's seemingly breaking all the rules of VR and I'm not feeling anything. Granted I was able to take driveclub VR fine but this is an entirely different level of movement.

i've been holding off on playing certain games because i want something to look forward to. I just played KITCHEN last night after getting PSVR day one. Amazing experience. Tonight I finally booted up Tethered and Job Simulator. Tons of great things have been said about Tethered, but the praise is well earned.

Job simulator has been getting mixed reviews. No idea why. I had very few tracking issues. Every time someone posts a video of the game, it's always goofing around in some office.
I had no idea that "Cooking Mama" is basically in this game. I had a ball being a chef, and the PSVR continually amazes me.

I was honestly getting burned out from most games. With the exception of Street Fighter V, I lost interest in whatever is popular. PSVR brings me back to a time when I'm excited to play everything. I adore the system.

oudy79

Neo Member
This is amazing
I don't understand how this game even exists. It's seemingly breaking all the rules of VR and I'm not feeling anything. Granted I was able to take driveclub VR fine but this is an entirely different level of movement.

I may buy it. can you make a small review?

Chris_C

Good to know. I would hope that VR devs are helping each other out with this new Frontier. I can appreciate solid move control tracking, your post makes me consider this game...

If the gameplay seems appealing go right ahead. Based on the demo though, it does seem as though it would get repetitive and tiring.

If it is indeed the case that there are game specific programming techniques that increase the fidelity of the motion tracking, then I sincerely hope Sony is paying attention to this and contacts these developers to find out what they are specifically doing.

If, however, it is the fact that simpler games require less overhead for graphics and can dedicate more resources for tracking then perhaps that bodes well for tracking fidelity being improved on PS4 Pro across all games.

I'll be getting a Pro myself in a couple of weeks and I'm eager to find out if there are any differences

- PS4 model (I have a launch unit, I'd be interested in finding out whether folks experiencing Wobble also have launch units)

- Game Engine. Ace Banana runs on Unity. I'm not sure what other PS VR titles do the same. I did another test this morning in bright sunlight, opening up my curtains to create a situation as far away as ideal as I could. I wanted to really give the tracking functionality a workout, so I did this in a standing position, and found out that:

1) When playing Ace Banana, the Moves changed color from red to blue, allowing them to stand out better against the real world background (inverted camera colors showed a red backround). Tracking on the Moves was not quite as good as under ideal lighting conditions (when I close the curtains), but it was still pretty good. Better than Batman or Job Simulator, even under ideal situations.

2) Head tracking was again, rock solid. No Wobble whatsoever.

3) Under the same conditions, I quit and started up Batman and then Job Simulator. I noticed that in both games, the Move controllers remained red (recall that earlier I said the camera's inverted colors showed the background was red). Move tracking under these conditions was pretty terrible, and even worse was the HMD tracking. There was intense pulsing and the scene would routinely shift entirely.

I'm not sure why Sony chose to have a fixed blue LED color for the headset. Here's what Richard Marks said about the Move LED's back in 2010:

"So for example if you happen to have a bright pink wall behind you it'll change colour so it can be tracked better," he explained.

"The PlayStation Eye looks at all the pixels," Marks continued. "It says 'Oh, there's a bunch of magenta pixels - don't use that colour, use a different one', and it picks a colour that won't conflict."

EDIT: Worth noting that Wobble doesn't appear to be confined to PSVR either. Some Rifts suffer from it, and so do some Vive's.

robotrock

Banned
This is amazing

You're a legend dude. Windlands killed me.

Yep I have this issue from time to time too, also another where the interlacing seems to screw too

j9Odp7y.png

Screen should go right to the edge but resolution seems to screw unsure why, figured it was Driveclub messing with the resolution as that's the game it seems to happen the most with.

CrgFIA4.png

Guys!! Driveclub VR is really good. Chasing my friends ghost around the track while listening to my Spotify is an amazing experience. Yes the res is vasaline but the racing.. oh god the racing is perfect.

If the pro can clean up that image just a tad.. oh boy

I've said this before but really this launch lineup is incredible.

Surfheart

Thats awesome!!

Love PSVR and I echo all the feelings in here that it's huge shift in gaming that reminds me of seeing Amiga games for the first time and then Super Mario 64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom