• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give me 3 - 5 hours of high quality considered gameplay any day over a 20 to 60 hour game full of fluff. That has become one of my biggest pet hates in recent generations, plus the reduced amount of time I actually have to play games Robinson the Journey is definitely getting a purchase from me, the only thing that could be a potential downer for me is that it is Crytek making the game I haven't enjoyed anything by them since the original Crysis.

What's funny is after realizing that Here They Lie's full version had more than a narrow subway environment (as seen in the Demo) when you get surface-side and you're walking around in a city, my mind started reeling with the possibilities. For starters, imagine instead of walking around a low-res sepia tone city with little to interact with - what if it was a vibrant hi-res explorable area with Dinos everywhere and some more to interact with! It's wild just how fun it is to have more or less walking sims with great head tracking in VR. Got me pumped for Robinson and lusting for some more recent experiences I've had, only in VR, such as: Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, SOMA & Amnesia to name a few.

antibolo

Banned
That's good information. I think I'll pass.

I'm starting to understand the kinds of games I like playing.
The London Heist and Rush of Blood both had shooting constrained to what's in front of you without the requirement to look behind you etc...

That's a lot more comfortable for me.

Due to controller occlusion it's inherently impossible for a PSVR game to have things happening farther than 90 degrees from the front. Non-interactive experiences are fine though because the headset does have tracking lights in the back.

The PSVR port of Job Simulator has retooled environments so that everything sits in your 180 degree front view (and no crouching). And even then things tend to get difficult to reach at the far sides (like the coffee machine in the desk job).

Picked up Tethered today, amazing game. God Sims and strategy games seems a perfect fit for VR and looking down over the world and little peeps really makes you feel like a God. Its got a good amount of depth to it too, resources gathering, using weather elements like making sun grow crops ect and the ability to upgrade units with different jobs and buildings with more features, its brilliant.

Also this type of game has a lot of potential for other IP's too. A table top Warhammer game would be amazing or any type of top down strategy game really, Command and Conquer VR or Populous VR maybe ?

El-Suave

Uggggh you guys are making me want to buy a PSVR so bad :(

But it's so damn expensive in my country

Be strong and wait a while, it'll get cheaper and there'll be more games out that justify spending so much. It is worth it to me and I'm very glad I kept my preorder after multiple instances where I thought I'd cancel, but there are limits to what you can justify spending. Don't feed scalpers or the grey market.

Glix

I actually just tried the Battlezone demo for the first time last night. I never played the original game it's supposedly based on, but I'll be damned if it didn't give me TRON vibes. I actually had much more fun with the demo than I was expecting, like, I think it just catapulted itself onto my radar. Maybe I can get a good deal on it come Black Friday.

Bolded is how I feel about every single VR game I have tried, lol.

Ozorov

Uggggh you guys are making me want to buy a PSVR so bad :(

But it's so damn expensive in my country

tumblr_inline_mph28gXzf51qz4rgp.gif

bumpkin

So who among us has actually won the tournament mode in Danger Ball? Or at the least gotten the challenge for beating every opponent on hard in quickplay?

I have a few opponents that I just cannot beat on hard difficulty. Like, a few I have managed to recognize weaknesses to exploit, but some seem like victory is a matter of total luck (and superhuman reflexes). The three giving me are trouble Nitro, Twins and Tornado. Any tips?

I finally gave in and bought a PSVR setup this week. Gamestop only had the Core system in stock, so I bought two-pack of Move controllers as well. Obviously the only "bundled" software I got was the free demo disc, which I goofed around with for about 5 hours the first day I had it--and I think that was a mistake.

My advice to anyone getting one of these is to get out of "browse all the demos" mode, and get into some full blown games ASAP. I took the headset off for a day and started researching games instead of playing demos, and settled on some titles that were high rated, longer than an hour, and in as many cases as possible, used the Move controllers. I set them all to download to my PS4 and then came back to it today.

There is such a big difference in enjoyment between playing quick demos and sinking your teeth into some actual games. You will truly start to get that "Aw, do I HAVE to go back to the real world?" feeling.

Kodros

Due to controller occlusion it's inherently impossible for a PSVR game to have things happening farther than 90 degrees from the front. Non-interactive experiences are fine though because the headset does have tracking lights in the back.

The PSVR port of Job Simulator has retooled environments so that everything sits in your 180 degree front view (and no crouching). And even then things tend to get difficult to reach at the far sides (like the coffee machine in the desk job).

That's not entirely true. If the PSVR game doesn't need to track the controllers or if it can even get by on using the motion sensors of the controller, there's no reason you can't have a 360 degree game. Well, aside that you'll eventually strangle yourself with the wire...

Glix

So who among us has actually won the tournament mode in Danger Ball? Or at the least gotten the challenge for beating every opponent on hard in quickplay?

I have a few opponents that I just cannot beat on hard difficulty. Like, a few I have managed to recognize weaknesses to exploit, but some seem like victory is a matter of total luck (and superhuman reflexes). The three giving me are trouble Nitro, Twins and Tornado. Any tips?

Tornado is the devil.

Twins and nitro i just return everything and one slips through eventually

Yes there will be additional options for camera added. You will be able to set the distance when the auto snap happens. This will reduce the work on right analog stick. Also there will be some adjustments to rotation around the princess. you will be able to finetune those to have more/less control. Unfortunately continuous follow is a no go :( - it causes too much motion sickness to pass through QA.

This is due to a lot of velocity changes of our character and the non linear way the levels are organized. For example in Robot Rescue or farpoint the levels are huge tubes with no rotations. If we would have those then our camera could move like in Thumper for example. Having all those turns and upsidedowns created too much sickness amongst everyone at the team.

Sounds great!! Thanks for explaining :D

I actually just tried the Battlezone demo for the first time last night. I never played the original game it's supposedly based on, but I'll be damned if it didn't give me TRON vibes. I actually had much more fun with the demo than I was expecting, like, I think it just catapulted itself onto my radar. Maybe I can get a good deal on it come Black Friday.

If you can spare the cash, buy it. Replayvalue is great and you actually feel like you're in a tank. Dem Tron vibes are great. This is getting a great Pro patch btw ( already posted but for your info )

Added PS4 Pro Support

Increased super-sampling resolution
Improved dynamic lighting in the Cobra cockpit
Increased reflective lighting resolution
Balancing Changes
Defend and Convoy missions are more balanced
Difficulty randomization more even throughout campaign
Enemy rank scaling more balanced throughout campaign
Bug, Performance Fixes, Other Changes
Improved clarity of particle effects
Fixed a rare framerate hitch during hangar sequence
Fixed rare physics issue that caused players to leave game world
Minor enemy behaviour tweaks

Got the tournament completed, not tried quickplay. If you aren't already make sure you're standing up, makes it a lot easier. As for tactics, smash the ball as often as possible i found worked well.

7YeLbsQ.jpg

Hi, already posted in our OT, but thought that you may be interested:

Michal Staniszewski here, creative director at Plastic. It's time to share some of the details about upcoming patch 1.02 for Bound.
I tried a couple of times to describe how our renderer works, but I believe that finally I found the best explanation ...
On PS4 PRO we are rendering edges of geometry in 4K native with multisampling antialiasing and the inner parts of polygons are upscaled from 1080P. Since our game uses mostly geometry and does not rely on texturing too much, I think we got into sweet spot and now we have nicely looking 4K at 60 Hz.
I believe thou that most of you are waiting for the information about PSVR upgrade. We are rendering twice as many pixels than on regular PS4 in VR and adding extra effects on top of that. This makes our game super sharp, literally hitting the display resolution of PSVR headset.
To not make my words empty, here are couple of images without compression, showing new filters in 4K:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/146196492@N05/

Also, for all of you waiting for the demo, we have almost finished it. Encountered a last minute small bug on our side :(.

Thank you for such good comments on our game!

Thanks Michal for your continued support and updates for this great game. My only complaint with VR mode is the scenes where you 'surf' on those giant ribbons, it was a real Journey-like moment for me in 2D but sadly doesn't work as well in VR when you have to constantly switch the camera manually. I will definitely continue playing Bound in VR when I get my Pro next week though!

Also, as Plastic's heritage is from the demoscene, are you or any other groups working with VR? I would happily pay for a compilation of demos for PSVR. I think these groups could produce some really creative demos to show off what can be done in VR.

*Splinter

I finally gave in and bought a PSVR setup this week. Gamestop only had the Core system in stock, so I bought two-pack of Move controllers as well. Obviously the only "bundled" software I got was the free demo disc, which I goofed around with for about 5 hours the first day I had it--and I think that was a mistake.

My advice to anyone getting one of these is to get out of "browse all the demos" mode, and get into some full blown games ASAP. I took the headset off for a day and started researching games instead of playing demos, and settled on some titles that were high rated, longer than an hour, and in as many cases as possible, used the Move controllers. I set them all to download to my PS4 and then came back to it today.

There is such a big difference in enjoyment between playing quick demos and sinking your teeth into some actual games. You will truly start to get that "Aw, do I HAVE to go back to the real world?" feeling.
I very much agree with this advice. Demos are great for figuring out which games will make you sick, but the actual experience gave me a very poor first impression of PSVR (at least compared to my first impression with some full games).

Phreaker

I've kinda pulled back playing much PSVR right now knowing that I'm getting a Pro next week ... anyone else grabbing one, too?

Yep, and have held off on a couple PSVR games I want to get. I really hope the Pro makes a noticeable different, especially in the resolution of some games.

I just got an email that Robinson is ready for store pickup at Best Buy. I probably won't be able to get it until tomorrow though as it would be a little out of my way today.

I've kinda pulled back playing much PSVR right now knowing that I'm getting a Pro next week ... anyone else grabbing one, too?

I'm damn tempted. I'm going to wait for PSVR specific impressions, most interested in how Driveclub is changed due to it and if they are notable or significant I will take a quick walk and buy one.

Shoeless

Yup, that's me as well. I deliberately held back on the PS VR launch from going too crazy with game purchases, because I knew the Pro was in bound a month later. It means I play Robinson: The Journey a couple of days late, but it'll be worth the delay.

Cyriades

Picked up Tethered today, amazing game. God Sims and strategy games seems a perfect fit for VR and looking down over the world and little peeps really makes you feel like a God. Its got a good amount of depth to it too, resources gathering, using weather elements like making sun grow crops ect and the ability to upgrade units with different jobs and buildings with more features, its brilliant.

Also this type of game has a lot of potential for other IP's too. A table top Warhammer game would be amazing or any type of top down strategy game really, Command and Conquer VR or Populous VR maybe ?

That does sound good,thanks

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yup, that's me as well. I deliberately held back on the PS VR launch from going too crazy with game purchases, because I knew the Pro was in bound a month later. It means I play Robinson: The Journey a couple of days late, but it'll be worth the delay.

I'm literally relying on ALL you peoples to report back on the PS4 Pro improvments to PSVR. I'm going to have so many questions too. It's the first Playstation console since PS1 that I'm not getting at launch and I feel terrible about that.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I do believe my VR legs are improving. I re-tried the BattleZone demo today with lots of strafing and didn't feel ill once.

Briarios

I'm literally relying on ALL you peoples to report back on the PS4 Pro improvments to PSVR. I'm going to have so many questions too. It's the first Playstation console since PS1 that I'm not getting at launch and I feel terrible about that.

Why? It's still a PS4. I'm mainly getting it because I bought a launch day PS4, my 3 year warranty is about to expire, so that means the console is going to die ... my luck is always the same.

I'll post my experiences with the difference, too. I've been pretty happy with the PSVR experience, so I'm not sure how much of a difference I'll notice.

antibolo

Banned

Yeah, I'm actually getting Worlds delivered to me today but don't intend on touching it until I get my Pro next week. I mean at this point I might as well wait.

bumpkin

I just got an email that Robinson is ready for store pickup at Best Buy. I probably won't be able to get it until tomorrow though as it would be a little out of my way today.
Lucky! I just checked their website and all of my local Best Buy locations say "Pick it up Nov 11th." What's peculiar is the website says the release date hasn't been announced yet.

Got the tournament completed, not tried quickplay. If you aren't already make sure you're standing up, makes it a lot easier. As for tactics, smash the ball as often as possible i found worked well.

7YeLbsQ.jpg
I smash nearly every shot and the sons of bitches return it every time, it feels like. :(

oatmeal

Banned
I didn't really think I needed a Pro but knowing that it will make my VR experience better, I feel I need it :/

I hope it's easy to transfer my 2TB drive over, though.

Maligna

Banned
I do believe my VR legs are improving. I re-tried the BattleZone demo today with lots of strafing and didn't feel ill once.

VR legs can be a bad thing too.

The first few times I played Until Dawn, the fast/steep roller coaster sections were really a thrill. Now I feel nothing. :(

SJRB

Gold Member
VR legs can be a bad thing too.

The first few times I played Until Dawn, the fast/steep roller coaster sections were really a thrill. Now I feel nothing. :(

Play Windlands, the feeling of momentum and locomotion is unmatched.

God-tier: play Windlands while standing.

panda-zebra

Banned
Got some of the backlog cleared and underway tonight.

Weeping Doll - well, I found my first VR stinker, lol. After spending over half an hour lifting a plant pot, taking a key and attempting to place it in a lock, only to be told how lucky it was there was a plant pot with a key under it... THE KEY IS IN MY FECKING HAND, DEAR! I gave up, restarted the game and found a magic floating key right in front of that lock, however this didn't apparently have any real world qualities, it just happily floated there. The other key, looking awfully similar, once again found under the plant pot, this time unlocked the door first time. From here I thought things would only get better - wrong. Trivial puzzles, astoundingly terrible writing and voice acting and a level of all-round jankiness that is rarely seen outside of youtube greenlight pisstake videos. The crowning moment being when you complete the game but it doesn't really bother letting you know. Going back to the start room, my friend the magic floating key was still proudly hovering where I first found it.

Thankfully, despite coming via the same publishers, PixelGear was literally a complete blast. My 5yo son laughed along with me in Weeping Doll for all the wrong reasons, but here it was because he was really enjoying tearing through the stages on easy mode. Seeing him having a really good crack at the modern equivalent of light gun games at that age was amazing stuff, as I found myself playing through past the overly-long boss segment - the precision the game offers is unrivaled. Looking forward to jumping back in.

Super Stardust Ultra VR now installed but it'll have to wait for another day.

Got Windlands last night, turned off all comfort settings and played it standing up.

Felt pretty nauseous due to non-incremental turning. My eyes can't cope with smoothly looking left-right with the analogue stick, will re-enable incremental turning tonight.

Default horizontal turning was way too sharp for me. Turned it right down and it became much more comfortable.

So I played about an hour and a half of the full version of Job Simulator yesterday evening. <snip>maaaan does this game feel janky thanks to the tracking limitations of PSVR.

I feel the problems with this game are not physical hardware tracking issues, but rather developer decisions when bringing the game to the PSVR platform. Game makes players stand too far away, out of the sweet spot for Move tracking, and has very odd hard-coded ideas of what the person playing looks like (my son loves it but as he's 5 and obviously not that tall, he gets a great view of the underside of the desk.

Hi, already posted in our OT, but thought that you may be interested:

Michal Staniszewski here, creative director at Plastic. It's

On of the best and cleanest-looking PSVR titles getting IQ improvements with Pro - it can't get here soon enough. Twice as many pixels rendered and fx added, 2nd playthrough will be glorious!

ckohler

Apparently Sportsbar VR just released an update (1.03) that adds Chess, Checkers and Shuffleboard. I'm at work so I can't check for myself.

Tekniqs

Prolly gonna pick up a PSVR tonight with the move/camera. Planning on picking up Batman and Until Dawn rush of blood. Having trouble deciding between RIGs and EVE. I don't foresee myself playing too much multiplayer currently as my focus is on SC2 lol

Uzukii

Banned
So I've seen some videos on how to reduce the blurriness on PSVR. Before I go through the trouble of messing with the eye distance thing in the settings, does it effect cinema mode or just VR? Because I would love to be able to use the virtual screen without the blur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom