• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozorov

I played through VR Worlds, and Job Simulator. Left Thumper for my Pro this week.
Been loving this thing. Only tracking issues were in Job Simulator. Otherwise it's been perfect.
That Call of Duty thing was damn impressive. I'd totally play Rebel Galaxy or Elite Dangerous that way.
Theres a Star wars X-wing "mission" coming next month

Ozorov

I'm just happy someone finally reviewed the damn VR version and I'm happy about it. We've had pretty much no coverage by any of the big websites :( blessing or curse. No marketing budget or peeps to speak of.

So. BOOM. You've been VEVed.
In VEV, are you inside the human body with erytrocytes etc?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Rez Infinite in VR is like playing Rez again for the first time. I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying it! Absolutely sublime.

Kurdel

Banned
Sure. Was about to buy a 4K set too, but it's still early days and I spend so much money ( bought a PSVR for my kids too, for Xmas ) that my wife is gonna kick my butt if I'll buy a 4K set too. Had to get down on my knees for that damn PS4Pro lol.

Ray-J-Stare-VH1-For-the-Love-of-Ray-J.gif

Mine still incorrectly says "should have shipped between September 11 - 13". Did you ever have that problem?

Mine says "Shipping today" on "Order Details" page, but it says "Expected to ship Nov 8" on "Track Package" page. FWIW, I pre-ordered my PS4 Pro a few weeks after it became available for the pre-order. I am in the U.S.

I would not put too much stock into Amazon shipping estimates. My PSVR was showing "Preparing for Shipment" on October 13th! I even ended up calling Amazon customer support about that. They had no clue what was happening. Still, my PSVR was delivered on the 13th as expected.

Still, I would call them if the dates do not change by tomorrow.

I just came home from to see Eagles at my doorstep. Welp, there goes any evening plans I've already made!

On a similar note, I was talking to my friend about Eagles and spun it as a game where you play as a member of the Eagles the band and get to experience them on their latest tour. He was skeptical, obviously, but we all laughed about it in the end. :p

deadfolk

On a similar note, I was talking to my friend about Eagles and spun it as a game where you play as a member of the Eagles the band and get to experience them on their latest tour. He was skeptical, obviously, but we all laughed about it in the end. :p

Wait, it's not? Pre-order cancelled!

Caayn

Okay, so the Thumper demo is on the digital download of the PSVR demo bundle. Played around with it but it didn't grab me. Gave Until Dawn a try and I shat my pants at the lady you meet directly in the beginning... Will give it a try later.

Anybody have any success obtaining new Move controllers in the Netherlands? Everywhere I've checked they're sold out or simply not in the system.

Also is possible to play 3D video? I've got 180° and 360° working.

Ozorov

Okay, so the Thumper demo is on the digital download of the PSVR demo bundle. Played around with it but it didn't grab me. Gave Until Dawn a try and I shat my pants at the lady you meet directly in the beginning... Will give it a try later.

Anybody have any success obtaining new Move controllers in the Netherlands? Everywhere I've checked they're sold out or simply not in the system.

Seems like the move controllers are pretty much out of stock in europe. And the next shipment seems unknown last time I asked

Shoeless

Not on the current version of the PS4 media player, no. You can watch 3D video in some of the VR video apps, like VRideo, but that's it for now. At some point Sony might enable 3D viewing in the media player, but I suspect right now they're being cagey about that so as to discourage people from viewing other types of "questionable" content.

deadfolk

First person in the menu, third person in game :)

Interesting - thanks. I've been deliberately avoiding videos because it sounds like something I'd enjoy going into blind.

I'm without a PS4 until my pro arrives on Thursday, but I'll give it a shot. Be rude not to after all the effort you put in. :)

Oh wow ... Just reserved a PSVR with Argos, Gateshead Metro Centre (NE11 9XY) ...

Collecting tomorrow, now need to order a Pro and Camera. Fuck ... This is happening :)

FYI, I used http://www.stockinformer.co.uk/ to get a notification, and it's done me proud ...

I wonder if it's actual new supply, or a hardware return or something? W/E ...

*Splinter

I am debating if I should buy friend used PlayStation be for 280$ along with the a game ( world ? Or something like that )

Anyway I did try it. And I have a question I would like to ask.

In a dark or solid color background, something I notice that the whole screen has some sort of very very small dots . I am not sure if those are the pixels. Because I used to see the pixels on vive when I had that and the vive pixels are somehow bigger than what I am seeing here.

It's like very small dots covering the whole screen .

I don't think that's a defect ( well I would hope not ) but I can't tell what is it . Any ideas ?
Yeah that's the pixels, it's normal

E: woops, old post

Yeah I'll either live without for a short while, or buy the ebay knock-offs someone was talking about. I'm not getting scalped for those things!

The other thing I need is some damn games! Time to put in a ton of research. I know I need Rez and a copy of TLOU, but that's all I know ...

Got my Pro on order from Game, hope they have a good rep?

Samus4145

I'm just happy someone finally reviewed the damn VR version and I'm happy about it. We've had pretty much no coverage by any of the big websites :( blessing or curse. No marketing budget or peeps to speak of.

So. BOOM. You've been VEVed.

Check your PMs

VR version of VEV is on my review list for PSVR games. :)

14 down...err...I lost count on how many more to get through.

hookurs

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/ps4-pro/3

"But there’s one last area that we wanted to cover here, and that’s how PS4 Pro enhances the PlayStation VR experience. Ever since its announcement, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Andrew House has touted the PS4 Pro’s ability to enhance PSVR games. We're happy to report that he’s absolutely right – games run noticeably better on this machine. PS4 Pro Mode titles feel like they’re not only better looking with more detailed textures, but they also feel a hair faster in terms of framerate on the new system.

The bottom line? If you’re new to the Sony ecosystem and plan on buying a PlayStation VR alongside a console, you should definitely shell out for the PlayStation 4 Pro."

Oh yeah? Well I just sent you a code so now you have no excuse.

In the words of a great scholar,

2vEjEl2.jpg
Lol, this dude man he is amazing I tell you.

If you can survive his game without motion sickness with fast camera speed (lol) you can survive anything, from personal experience.

Oh wow ... Just reserved a PSVR with Argos, Gateshead Metro Centre (NE11 9XY) ...

Collecting tomorrow, now need to order a Pro and Camera. Fuck ... This is happening :)

FYI, I used http://www.stockinformer.co.uk/ to get a notification, and it's done me proud ...

I wonder if it's actual new supply, or a hardware return or something? W/E ...

Thanks for heads up. Just reserved one locally to for a friend, I got mine on launch he didn't bother to preorder.

Just tried Alumette but my god the camera tracking was awful. It couldn't stay still for a second, its never been this bad. Didn't do anything different this time either.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
After extensively trying the EVE and Jackal demos I can safely say I much prefer the Jackal demo. The graphics are much better and I prefer the controls and gunplay.

In all. I actually feel I flying a real starfighter when I'm playing Jackal.

I really hope they do a full game around that. It's awesome.

"But there’s one last area that we wanted to cover here, and that’s how PS4 Pro enhances the PlayStation VR experience. Ever since its announcement, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Andrew House has touted the PS4 Pro’s ability to enhance PSVR games. We're happy to report that he’s absolutely right – games run noticeably better on this machine. PS4 Pro Mode titles feel like they’re not only better looking with more detailed textures, but they also feel a hair faster in terms of framerate on the new system.

The bottom line? If you’re new to the Sony ecosystem and plan on buying a PlayStation VR alongside a console, you should definitely shell out for the PlayStation 4 Pro."

Yeah. I don't believe them. Games are locked at either 60/90/120fps as mandated by Sony.

Have there been impressions about VR on the Pro? Does the IQ looks better in the headset when using Pro? Really curious to know about this.

Have there been impressions about VR on the Pro? Does the IQ looks better in the headset when using Pro? Really curious to know about this.

Not enough testing has been done. Even Digital Foundry had no coverage.

Overall yes it will give a smoother image with AA and a better framerate for those that are updated. Digital Foundry said PSVR Worlds looked much better. Robinson footage has shown better textures and lighting as well.

We will see more from them soon!

Futaba

my ONLY gripe so far has been that for whatever reason, my right optics always seem to be ever so slightly blurrier than the left, anyone else get that?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
There are definitely dips, I've noticed a few in Job Simulator and definitely Rez

I wonder if anyone does a framerate analysis on these games. It would be good to find out.

I can't say I've noticed any dips on any games so far. They have all be rock solid.

After extensively trying the EVE and Jackal demos I can safely say I much prefer the Jackal demo. The graphics are much better and I prefer the controls and gunplay.

In all. I actually feel I flying a real starfighter when I'm playing Jackal.

I really hope they do a full game around that. It's awesome.

Yeah. I don't believe them. Games are locked at either 60/90/120fps as mandated by Sony.

its a much better experience except the explosions suck. Eve just looks like a jaggy crappy mess

Chris_C

I wonder if anyone does a framerate analysis on these games. It would be good to find out.

I can't say I've noticed any dips on any games so far. They have all be rock solid.

Same here, never noticed any, though I have heard someone else say Rez drops frames. I do wish Digital Foundry had given PSVR games a more thorough inspection, but I expect it's a smaller readership and they have limited resources.

Definitely looking forward to Obduction next year.

my ONLY gripe so far has been that for whatever reason, my right optics always seem to be ever so slightly blurrier than the left, anyone else get that?

Nope

Yes!

Me too, try to put the headset on so it's more to the right (your right eye closer to the middle.) It doesn't have to be on straight.

rcl66

Even after the patch to balance the difficulty, Battlezone is fucking hard. I just tried a short, easy campaign with my brother online. We got to the 3rd shield generator but got rocked.

Totally agree. I've yet to finish a campaign in this game. I like it alot but to fucking hard. On easy.

Futaba

no, that's weird. is there a smudge on the lens? or do you have an issue with your eye?

Lens is perfectly clean and eye is fine, if i move the headset around i can get it to be clear but then the headset doesn't feel like its on straight, almost feels like the distance between the center point of my eyes is wider than the center point of the optics

Briarios

So, I got to start up Eagle Flight tonight -- couldn't find any online matches ... servers may not be up yet, but I did fly around the tutorial and complete the prologue.

I have to say, the flight was super smooth in the game -- no nausea or weirdness while flying. There was a bit of a rush as you scrape by a roof or something, like in a lot of VR games, it can sometimes feel like you're right there. Just flying around was really serene and peaceful -- and a lot of fun.

I can't wait to explore some more, but I think I'm going to wait until my Pro arrives. Although, I may try to get into an online match tomorrow, at least. Anyway, if flight is something that interests you, from what I'm seen so far, this is really fantastic. I can't speak to the depth of the experience or how the multiplayer is, but it's so smooth and easy to do -- I can totally see this being something to show new people.

Oh -- controls. You tilt your head to turn, look up and down to, well, go up and down. L2 slows you for tight turns, and R2 speeds you up -- but it's mostly done just by looking. Here's a couple minutes of the prologue which is pretty much just a travelogue introducing you to Paris:

https://youtu.be/Pz0g191FRIA

Mezoly

I'm really hoping for some PSVR stuff at PSX. If Sony doesn't broadcast the event in VR it's a huged missed opportunity.

Doesn't VR streams require very high bandwidth to be good quality. Also how would they handle lag because that could cause nausea. Anyway I hope they found a way to showcase it in VR even if it was post event download.

So, I got to start up Eagle Flight tonight -- couldn't find any online matches ... servers may not be up yet, but I did fly around the tutorial and complete the prologue.

https://youtu.be/Pz0g191FRIA

I think the game is out either tomorrow or Friday so until then you won't find many players.

Briarios

Doesn't VR streams require very high bandwidth to be good quality. Also how would they handle lag because that could cause nausea. Anyway I hope they found a way to showcase it in VR even if it was post event download.

I think the game is out either tomorrow or Friday so until then you won't find many players.

Yeah, I think the official release date is tomorrow.

El-Suave

I have to say, the flight was super smooth in the game -- no nausea or weirdness while flying. There was a bit of a rush as you scrape by a roof or something, like in a lot of VR games, it can sometimes feel like you're right there. Just flying around was really serene and peaceful -- and a lot of fun.

I can't wait to explore some more, but I think I'm going to wait until my Pro arrives. Although, I may try to get into an online match tomorrow, at least. Anyway, if flight is something that interests you, from what I'm seen so far, this is really fantastic. I can't speak to the depth of the experience or how the multiplayer is, but it's so smooth and easy to do -- I can totally see this being something to show new people.

Oh -- controls. You tilt your head to turn, look up and down to, well, go up and down. L2 slows you for tight turns, and R2 speeds you up -- but it's mostly done just by looking.

Glad some more people get to share my enthusiasm. After three days with it I think I can say this my favorite VR game so far. Of course the activities are a bit limited by the subject matter of the game but they came up with some pretty amazing stuff. It quickly gets a lot more intense, too.I can't recommend this game enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom