• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateDrake

Glad some more people get to share my enthusiasm. After three days with it I think I can say this my favorite VR game so far. Of course the activities are a bit limited by the subject matter of the game but they came up with some pretty amazing stuff. It quickly gets a lot more intense, too.I can't recommend this game enough.

Eagle Flight has caught me by surprise. The music and setting are splendid, but it's the variety the games offers. Collectibles, free-roam, online, time-based missions, and such. It's quite engaging. I was expecting more of a 'VR experience' from the game, and instead found a solid racing-type of game. The mix of combat, defense, and other racing types blends well here. Ubisoft did well and crafted a unique and fun VR game.

Here's some footage of the missions and Expert Challenges the game has to offer:

Eagle Flight PSVR - Expert Challenge: The Forest Moon Gameplay (Direct-Feed PS4)
Eagle Flight PSVR - Expert Challenge: End of the Line Gameplay (Direct-Feed PS4)

Eagle Flight PSVR - Mission 11: Murder of Crows Gameplay (Direct-Feed PS4)
Eagle Flight PSVR - Mission 8: Catacomb Raider Gameplay (Direct-Feed PS4)

bumpkin

So, I got to start up Eagle Flight tonight -- couldn't find any online matches ... servers may not be up yet, but I did fly around the tutorial and complete the prologue.

I have to say, the flight was super smooth in the game -- no nausea or weirdness while flying. There was a bit of a rush as you scrape by a roof or something, like in a lot of VR games, it can sometimes feel like you're right there. Just flying around was really serene and peaceful -- and a lot of fun.

I can't wait to explore some more, but I think I'm going to wait until my Pro arrives. Although, I may try to get into an online match tomorrow, at least. Anyway, if flight is something that interests you, from what I'm seen so far, this is really fantastic. I can't speak to the depth of the experience or how the multiplayer is, but it's so smooth and easy to do -- I can totally see this being something to show new people.

Oh -- controls. You tilt your head to turn, look up and down to, well, go up and down. L2 slows you for tight turns, and R2 speeds you up -- but it's mostly done just by looking. Here's a couple minutes of the prologue which is pretty much just a travelogue introducing you to Paris:

https://youtu.be/Pz0g191FRIA
The bolded is what I'm concerned about. I know while playing Rush of Blood, I definitely got weird feelings on parts where the car was flying down the track in different directions. My eyes and brain were seeing fast motion but my body was like "WTF, I'm not moving?"

So... Sell me on VEV, m0dus. :)

Meanwhile I be like

RaAhBBk4Tino8v219sDqK2mOo1_540.jpg

Lol. Probably should have done that :)

I tried out my full copy of Battlezone today, and you guys were not kidding, that game is hard. Second mission and it's already throwing shielded tanks and light skirmishers and flyers at me at the same time... I barely know how to aim, lol. Interestingly, there is very little motion sickness for me although I feel like the tank moves around more than your mech in Rigs, which still gives me motion sickness. It's a fun game, but hopefully they'll patch in a very easy mode for noobs like me.

I also ended up keeping Rise of the Tomb Raider and trying out the DLC in VR mode. The controls are clunky but the atmosphere and setting is surprisingly good. The VR mode really does add something to the DLC which is kind of dull otherwise (so far at least).

gogojira

I feel a little ridiculous asking this but it's bugging the shit out of me. My goggles have two plastic covers over the lenses (one on each). I tugged on them once because they have tabs but it was a little strong and thought "oh shit, maybe they are supposed to be there." I saw mixed reports of people having them on their unit, and some not.

Should I rip these things off? I'm not the kind of person who leaves plastic on their monitors just to be safe for like 2 years, lol. I just don't want to rip something off that I'm not supposed to.

I feel a little ridiculous asking this but it's bugging the shit out of me. My goggles have two plastic covers over the lenses (one on each). I tugged on them once because they have tabs but it was a little strong and thought "oh shit, maybe they are supposed to be there." I saw mixed reports of people having them on their unit, and some not.

Should I rip these things off? I'm not the kind of person who leaves plastic on their monitors just to be safe for like 2 years, lol. I just don't want to rip something off that I'm not supposed to.

Yes take them off, some units shipped with them and some didn't. You won't be able to see anything with them on.

gogojira

I've been using them since I bought it a week or two ago and still think everything looks amazing. Looks like I get an upgrade without even having to buy the pro. :p

I've been using them since I bought it a week or two ago and still think everything looks amazing. Looks like I get an upgrade without even having to buy the pro. :p

Your talking about the clear plastic stickers over the lenses right? The ones with tabs facing the nose area? Just wanted to be sure before you dismantle your VR under my recommendation :p

If they are ya take them off. They are stuck on there pretty good but didn't leave any residue when I removed mine.

gogojira

No, you're good, haha. It was the little lens protectors with the green outer rim. Took them out and things look a bit clearer. Thanks!

No, you're good, haha. It was the little lens protectors with the green outer rim. Took them out and things look a bit clearer. Thanks!

lol. this is a bit funny :)

With any luck, Sony delivers my PS4pro tomorrow. Can't wait. Might play some London Heist tonight so I can compare my experience tomorrow.

ChouGoku

Bought VEV, I don't really get it yet but I'll play with it some more tomorrow. Waiting for Super Stardust Ultra VR to download.

Psoelberg

Thanks, looks really good! I will definitely pick this up after work today.

A question: Is it possible to look freely around with our head without the bird changing direction? If I want to keep flying in one direction but just look around while keeping that direction?

Yes take them off, some units shipped with them and some didn't. You won't be able to see anything with them on.

Actually I bought a second PSVR for my kids and tested it last night with them on and there is hardly any difference. Anyway... if you leave them on, your lenses will be clean. I myself dunno if I should take them off...

El-Suave

Thanks, looks really good! I will definitely pick this up after work today.

A question: Is it possible to look freely around with our head without the bird changing direction? If I want to keep flying in one direction but just look around while keeping that direction?

No, tilting your head changes the direction. The more and longer you tilt, the sharper your turn will be. It's amazingly precise and responsive though, you'll be doing breathtaking stuff at very high speeds sometimes and it works like a charm.
Edit: Thanks to Sidewinder's post I checked again and you can do a "free look" by pressing X.

The videos don't represent the actual "bird's eye" view btw., your beak is much bigger but your forehead, which covers the entire upper screen in the vids is smaller than your beak.

Psoelberg

No, tilting your head changes the direction. The more and longer you tilt, the sharper your turn will be. It's amazingly precise and responsive though, you'll be doing breathtaking stuff at very high speeds sometimes and it works like a charm.
The videos don't represent the actual "bird's eye" view btw., your beak is much bigger but your forehead, which covers the entire upper screen in the vids is smaller than your beak.

Okay, thanks for the answer! Looking forward to playing this later.

I've read somewhere that if you push and hold X you can look around without changing direction.

deadfolk

So, I got to start up Eagle Flight tonight -- couldn't find any online matches ... servers may not be up yet, but I did fly around the tutorial and complete the prologue.

I have to say, the flight was super smooth in the game -- no nausea or weirdness while flying. There was a bit of a rush as you scrape by a roof or something, like in a lot of VR games, it can sometimes feel like you're right there. Just flying around was really serene and peaceful -- and a lot of fun.

I can't wait to explore some more, but I think I'm going to wait until my Pro arrives. Although, I may try to get into an online match tomorrow, at least. Anyway, if flight is something that interests you, from what I'm seen so far, this is really fantastic. I can't speak to the depth of the experience or how the multiplayer is, but it's so smooth and easy to do -- I can totally see this being something to show new people.

Oh -- controls. You tilt your head to turn, look up and down to, well, go up and down. L2 slows you for tight turns, and R2 speeds you up -- but it's mostly done just by looking. Here's a couple minutes of the prologue which is pretty much just a travelogue introducing you to Paris:

https://youtu.be/Pz0g191FRIA

Damn, this is sounding good. Had my eye on it for a while, but I may now prioritise it over Rez.

I've read somewhere that if you push and hold X you can look around without changing direction.

I'm sure I heard that was something you unlock. Possibly after finishing the main game.

deadfolk

I just checked in free flight mode and YES, indeed you can. The game hasn't told me that so far nor have I had to use it.

Have you finished the main game? I watched a video review that said this was only enabled after that. They were speculating that it was to ensure you had your eagle legs before doing so.

Maybe they were totally wrong.

El-Suave

Have you finished the main game? I watched a video review that said this was only enabled after that. They were speculating that it was to ensure you had your eagle legs before doing so.

Maybe they were totally wrong.

No, I haven't finished the campaign. Just got curious because of Sidewinder's post and I don't want to spread misinformation, so I did a quick check in free flight mode and the ability was there. Maybe it is an end game "unlock" (as in they tell you that you can do this) indeed because I don't see much use for it in the actual challenges so far. The option is nice of course.

MarkV

No Eagle Flight review yet?
Also, is Robinson release in NA today or tomorrow? In EU is tomorrow but i remember reading 8/11 somewhere.

Lens is perfectly clean and eye is fine, if i move the headset around i can get it to be clear but then the headset doesn't feel like its on straight, almost feels like the distance between the center point of my eyes is wider than the center point of the optics
More than likely the case.

How it feels on your face is different than how it actually is due to head shape. When I put on a hat and it "feels" even it's usually cocked to one side.

If you are in VR I wouldn't worry about what you look like - just get a clear image even if that means it has to be more to one side than not.

Caayn

Seems like the move controllers are pretty much out of stock in europe. And the next shipment seems unknown last time I asked
That's a shame. I wonder what the cause is. The PSVR seems to be in stock almost everywhere here.
Not on the current version of the PS4 media player, no. You can watch 3D video in some of the VR video apps, like VRideo, but that's it for now. At some point Sony might enable 3D viewing in the media player, but I suspect right now they're being cagey about that so as to discourage people from viewing other types of "questionable" content.
That's too bad, I think that I should be able to determine for myself what I can and can't watch. Although I agree that they probably don't want to have the PSVR associated with VR 18+ content. I hope that Sony will allow us to watch our own 3D VR videos in the future. Or that some third-party app comes along that allows that. It's not a major problem as there's practically no content but support for it would be nice.

Regarding Rez Infinite, I was enthralled playing through it for the first time, but last night played Area 5. I was disappointed and thought it was a pretty weak finale.

I feel like part of the problem was the sudden overuse of textures, which were blurred to no end and probably should have been updated with this version...

The other part was an overabundance of spamming with massive amounts of enemies, rather than interesting shapes, collections and behaviors of enemies.

Am I alone in thinking Area 5 is the weakest area?

Still need to play Area X... hyped.

Wait, patches can make VR games look better? It's not a hardware thing?

If the game wasn't rendering natively or didn't have a good AA solution then yes, Pro can make those games look better, also give things like additional lighting, better shadows etc in the case of Battlezone.

KORNdoggy

of course. the hardware will always be a barrier. and WILL limit the quality of the image you're able to see (at least until PSVR2.0). but super sampling will fix a lot of the crappy jaggy/shimmery-ness you get in a lot of games, especially distant objects. RE7 is the one i'm looking forward to seeing most. because the kitchen demo is by far the worst in regards to IQ.

Ozorov

Patches can make PSVR-games on Pro look better. For example Bound and Battlezone. Upcoming games (all?) will have the "enhancement-patch" on disc. But developers can update the game later on for the Pro id they want to.

Eagle Flight has caught me by surprise. The music and setting are splendid, but it's the variety the games offers. Collectibles, free-roam, online, time-based missions, and such. It's quite engaging. I was expecting more of a 'VR experience' from the game, and instead found a solid racing-type of game. The mix of combat, defense, and other racing types blends well here. Ubisoft did well and crafted a unique and fun VR game.

Here's some footage of the missions and Expert Challenges the game has to offer:

Eagle Flight PSVR - Expert Challenge: The Forest Moon Gameplay (Direct-Feed PS4)
Eagle Flight PSVR - Expert Challenge: End of the Line Gameplay (Direct-Feed PS4)

This may be the VR Pilotwings well never get.

Anarion07

I really hope the Pro increases draw distance.
That would add a lot to the experience

Ozorov

145 MB
"New VR experience with Playstation VR. Playstation Pro Support: 4K resolution and enchanced graphic quality in standard modes, higher framerate in VR experience(120 fps). Improved loading times. "

Well I won't try and sell anyone on it - if anything I would prefer leaving that to someone else in the thread!

I can vouch for you m0dus. Yesterday I played the Blood and CSF levels and Oh boy, what frantic gameplay, the damn antibodies are everywhere and wouldn't even get to a 1000 particle but I had so much fun. I have gotten better with my VR legs and can do medium camera speed with no problema now but fast speed still gives me a bit of nausea but I'm getting there :)

As of now all the levels I've played have been a blast and addictive. That said the level I don't recommend is Fresh Water, it's the only level that makes me nauseous as time progresses no matter what camera speed, I think it's because it's one of the level with the most objects to focus on and it feels like the calibration level before the update (btw calibration level is perfect now), I would like to give this feedback to m0dus to see if other people experience the same with fresh water in VR.

145 MB
"New VR experience with Playstation VR. Playstation Pro Support: 4K resolution and enchanced graphic quality in standard modes, higher framerate in VR experience(120 fps). Improved loading times. "

Sweet someone let us know what exactly is the "VR experience" in that game.

Nightz

How are people liking Robinson? Kinda on the fence about it. Eagle Flight sounds promising from impressions so I'm thinking of picking that up.

So how long do people think it will take writers to get to grips with VR reviews?

At the moment the nausea issue seems to be in the way for a lot of reviewers and those that do get thrown don't give a proper review, understandably so but they aren't giving a helpful review due to something that is extremely subjective. The industry standard beforehand has never employed people to write reviews that get nausea from standard FPS and racing games which is a very real thing nor is this ever discussed in reviews. I think comfort setting in VR are worth discussing as they can make something that would normally be unplayable for some great experiences but nausea is a mute point, they shouldn't be made too review it and is a dick move by their boss. There have only been a few reviews from the main outlets that even get close to being adequate.

emb

Good to hear some positive impressions. It's one I was planning to probably get, but like you I was thinking it was mostly going to just be the experience of flying around, and otherwise really shallow.

Lan_97

I would have been day one on Eagle Flight, but the forced comfort settings tempered my excitement enough that I'll just wait a bit for a sale. It's great that it's there for people who want it, but forcing it on all players seems heavy handed. Devs on the occulus reddit mentioned they have heard the complaints and are considering it, but no guarantees.

EDIT: Really looking forward to trying Trackmania tonight. Picked the game up last week specifically for this VR update.

EDIT2: Ah man VR only the new 40 tracks? New content is great, though I was hoping more of the base game would be adapted to VR. Still excited to give this a whirl when I get home.

antibolo

Banned
So how long do people think it will take writers to get to grips with VR reviews?

At the moment the nausea issue seems to be in the way for a lot of reviewers and those that do get thrown don't give a proper review, understandably so but they aren't giving a helpful review due to something that is extremely subjective. The industry standard beforehand has never employed people to write reviews that get nausea from standard FPS and racing games which is a very real thing nor is this ever discussed in reviews. I think comfort setting in VR are worth discussing as they can make something that would normally be unplayable for some great experiences but nausea is a mute point, they shouldn't be made too review it and is a dick move by their boss. There have only been a few reviews from the main outlets that even get close to being adequate.

Couldn't disagree more. VR sickness is a very real problem in this current iteration of VR. It won't just go away by pretending it doesn't exist. If you never get sick from VR ever, then hey more power to you, but that doesn't make other people's experiences invalid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom