• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real-life sickness inducing activities are irrelevant to this discussion because they are inherently impossible to provide comfort settings compared to VR.

I don't agree with this point:

You can provide "comfort settings" for a rollercoaster by toning the experience down: reduce the speed, angle of the turns, etc. The ride then becomes accessible to more people, but that's not an objectively good thing.

I think developers should include comfort settings to the extent they can without compromising gameplay. There's a limit to what you can do with Driveclub, for example.

Really disappointed in Trackmania. I think for those looking for a more accommodating driving experience then this is probably it as the HMD is set to the track rather than the vehicle. On the second arcade track when it locks onto the car this is a far more engaging experience but because I can't do this at all times my interest has completely gone.

Enjoying Eagle Flight but the amount of eagle in my vision is distracting, the beak is fine but the rest of it is too much as I want to see as much as possible, the banking darkness and when you get closer to the ground is just damn annoying. Same with the water splash, it just looks a bit shit and not needed as it doesn't really add anything.

Real talk! Please keep giving impressions of any more VR games you get in the future.

Kyolux

Looking for more impressions on Robinson before opening my copy. (I think I'll only receive it tomorrow anyway so there's a bit more time).

Eagle Flight looks cool, but I get auto-turned off by the collectathon part of Ubisoft games.

I'll wait for How we soar instead I think.

About reviews. They should mention possible motion sickness inducing elements to the game. People will eventually know what works and doesn't work for them. But they really also need to review the actual games for those that actually don't get motion sickness.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Looking for more impressions on Robinson before opening my copy. (I think I'll only receive it tomorrow anyway so there's a bit more time).

Eagle Flight looks cool, but I get auto-turned off by the collectathon part of Ubisoft games.

I'll wait for How we soar instead I think.

About reviews. They should mention possible motion sickness inducing elements to the game. People will eventually know what works and doesn't work for them. But they really also need to review the actual games for those that actually don't get motion sickness.

We need SOOO many more reviews of VR games as time goes on.

somme

I didn't realise how few VR reviews there were (as funnily enough I don't really read that many reviews) - but I'm setting up a site now and should hopefully have some reviews up by tomorrow.

What do people want reviewed most? I have Eagle Flight but won't be getting Robinson 'til release day in the UK. I have almost everything else.

Lan_97

Well at some point Trackmania was supposed to have full VR support:

Players will be able to experience the entire game using their VR devices; every track and game mode will have full support on both the console and the PC. Give the campaign a go and test your skills on over 200 beautiful, massive tracks.

I guess they pulled a GT Sport :/

deadfolk

I didn't realise how few VR reviews there were (as funnily enough I don't really read that many reviews) - but I'm setting up a site now and should hopefully have some reviews up by tomorrow.

What do people want reviewed most? I have Eagle Flight but won't be getting Robinson 'til release day in the UK. I have almost everything else.

Eagle Flight is the big one for me personally.

I can get two of:
Thumper
Rez
Eagle Flight

I'm thinking of skipping Rez (for now) as the other two will probably give me more variety. There have been quite a few reviews of Thumper and Rez.

ryushe

Regarding Rez Infinite, I was enthralled playing through it for the first time, but last night played Area 5. I was disappointed and thought it was a pretty weak finale.

I feel like part of the problem was the sudden overuse of textures, which were blurred to no end and probably should have been updated with this version...

The other part was an overabundance of spamming with massive amounts of enemies, rather than interesting shapes, collections and behaviors of enemies.

Am I alone in thinking Area 5 is the weakest area?

Still need to play Area X... hyped.
I'd say so. It wasn't until Area 5 where I "got" Rez.

If the game wasn't rendering natively or didn't have a good AA solution then yes, Pro can make those games look better, also give things like additional lighting, better shadows etc in the case of Battlezone.

of course. the hardware will always be a barrier. and WILL limit the quality of the image you're able to see (at least until PSVR2.0). but super sampling will fix a lot of the crappy jaggy/shimmery-ness you get in a lot of games, especially distant objects. RE7 is the one i'm looking forward to seeing most. because the kitchen demo is by far the worst in regards to IQ.

Patches can make PSVR-games on Pro look better. For example Bound and Battlezone. Upcoming games (all?) will have the "enhancement-patch" on disc. But developers can update the game later on for the Pro id they want to.
Thanks all. The PS4Pro is looking a lot more worthwhile.

muteki

Those Trackmania impressions are really disappointing. VR was a large motivator for me to purchase the game initially and this doesn't really match any rational thinking persons expectations for what you mean when you say "Trackmania in VR".

I'd like to think that in the near future when the market settles down a little bit and developers/publishers understand the response to motion sickness from the market at large that they will be willing to take more risks, assuming it is not a technical limitation to put the camera on the car.

El-Suave

Does Eagle Flight have plenty of SP gameplay? The videos show MP and PS store says 2-6 players. I want it for Single Player so want to make sure it's still worth it if I don't play online.

Absolutely, all the challenges are basically for one player and there is a real campaign/story mode that ties them together. There is a seperate 3 vs.3 multiplayer mode that I haven't checked out yet. I assume matches must be short because there are trophies asking you to play a lot of them. Single player clearly is the focus of most of the game though. I don't even know if co-op is an option because the opportunity hasn't presented itself yet.

Firing up Eagle Flight for the first time was another one of those "VR" moments, where the realization that this feeling cannot be recreated in standard 2D displays. And, absolutely no spoilers, but that intro for the single-player campaign?

One of those moments that had me grinning from ear to ear. Even the best regular games really have a hard time getting that emotion out of me no matter what kinds of spectacles happen on screen.

Potential buyers beware, Eagle Flight features Ubisoft's Collectathon®!

It's more than there appears to be at first, but I think it's not very obtrusive. Also, you're a wild animal, there isn't too much stuff you do during your day except for looking for resources.

*Splinter

Man, as good as trackmania is, I'm always gonna be salty about how much better it could have been :(

(It is really good though)

Also, world record on track 1 😄

NateDrake

Does Eagle Flight have plenty of SP gameplay? The videos show MP and PS store says 2-6 players. I want it for Single Player so want to make sure it's still worth it if I don't play online.

All the footage I posted on the previous page is SP footage. There are several areas to unlock, and the challenges get more challenging and new elements are introduced. The comparison to Pilot Wings is actually pretty apt.

Ozorov

Will Rush of Blood have a Pro-patch Day 1? I've got the PSVR in the mail but my Pro won't come until friday :(. If it has a patch day 1 I think I will wait until friday to play it.

Ozorov

It's on the list.

giphy.gif

panda-zebra

Banned
I'm not sure that I don't say this every new PSVR game I get, but Eagle Flight - cannot find the words to describe it without resorting to a GAFism: legit as fuck.

Masses of content, really well polished and presented, epic audio, utterly thrilling but not in the tiniest bit vomit-inducing races/time trials - what kind of magic is this?!. And there's multiplayer!

Tilt your head: become eagle.

I'm not sure that I don't say this every new PSVR game I get, but Eagle Flight - cannot find the words to describe it without resorting to a GAFism: legit as fuck.

Masses of content, really well polished and presented, epic audio, utterly thrilling but not in the tiniest bit vomit-inducing races/time trials - what kind of magic is this?!. And there's multiplayer!

Ah, crap and I had resisted all day. Buying now.

MarkV

Damn you!

Another 40€ gone :D

Was about to purchase Trackmania but now removing it from my cart, so sad, does the trial come with VR to at least try it?

Yeah just download the demo. Once the game has downloaded it might say the VR content isn't available but it will be downloading a bit extra and just isn't ready yet.

Ah man... don't do this. Gotta order now 😉

Ammogeddon

Really have to stop buying VR games now.

Eagle Flight
Batman VR
Until Dawn: Rush of blood
VR Worlds
Tethered
Windlands
Tumble VR
Job Simulator

Pretty much all digital too save for VR Worlds.

Yeah just download the demo. Once the game has downloaded it might say the VR content isn't available but it will be downloading a bit extra and just isn't ready yet.

Thanks, will give it a try.

Is there a master list anywhere with every VR demo/free experience available in PSN?

NateDrake

If you like Pilot Wing-style games, then Eagle Flight is something you'll enjoy. The music and setting is really splendid. Simple controls and a good amount of content. The collecting stuff isn't all that taxing as it encourages you to explore the world and discover the city.

Z3M0G

Anyone try World War Toons yet? Playing on TV I can tell they kept things "tame" for VR use... moves smoothly, slow / long jumps, no shake at all from anything.

Feels like a cheap Garden Warfare, which is a good thing. Definitely needs some polish.

But a F2P team-based FPS in VR already? Nice!

somme

Anyone try World War Toons yet? Playing on TV I can tell they kept things "tame" for VR use... moves smoothly, slow / long jumps, no shake at all from anything.

Feels like a cheap Garden Warfare, which is a good thing. Definitely needs some polish.

I seem to remember most players on here saying World War toons made them feel ill. Don't think I can get it here in the UK/EU yet.

antibolo

Banned

Game feels unfinished as hell and really not justified in its use of VR. I deleted it after 5 minutes.

zooL

yeah... i am sending my ps vr back. unfortunately i seem to have conditioned myself to feel sick even thinking about putting the headset on. i say this as someone who was very much looking forward to this. playing rez and thumper and bound in vr is an amazing experience, but my brain does not like it. i played around with the eye distance etc. but nothing was comfortable enough. even looking at the menu makes me feel queasy.

i will wait a few years and try again i guess... too bad i will most likely miss out on wipeout vr. :(

gunstarhero

That last bit should be on the box. CAW CAW.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
yeah... i am sending my ps vr back. unfortunately i seem to have conditioned myself to feel sick even thinking about putting the headset on. i say this as someone who was very much looking forward to this. playing rez and thumper and bound in vr is an amazing experience, but my brain does not like it. i played around with the eye distance etc. but nothing was comfortable enough. even looking at the menu makes me feel queasy.

i will wait a few years and try again i guess... too bad i will most likely miss out on wipeout vr. :(

I kind of feel similarly, have to really motivate myself to put the headset on as I feel queasy just thinking about launching certain games. Passive stuff like tumble and Batman I am fortunately fine with, but sadly my brain can't seem to handle much else and I actively have avoided using the set the last week.

Holding out to see PS4 Pro upgrades this weekend if it at all helps, but yea PSVR sickness is robbing me of fun right now. :(

I kind of feel similarly, have to really motivate myself to put the headset on as I feel queasy just thinking about launching certain games. Passive stuff like tumble and Batman I am fortunately fine with, but sadly my brain can't seem to handle much else and I actively have avoided using the set the last week.

Holding out to see PS4 Pro upgrades this weekend if it at all helps, but yea PSVR sickness is robbing me of fun right now. :(

Hang in there. I almost sold my PSVR, but after a few days it clicked. Now it's hard for me to play without VR...I miss the immersion.

Trackmania VR is awesome!!!
I totally forgot that the game places you into first person mode during certain segents of a track. What a way to remind me, while blasting up onto a wall launching myself in the progress XD
Eagle Flight is up next.

Z3M0G

I seem to remember most players on here saying World War toons made them feel ill.

I was worried about this, curious about how it controlled exactly. (Aim gun with head or sticks?) Games like this seem risky for VR...

My buddy didn't complain about sickness, but I think he has much better VR legs than most. Nothing seems to bother him...

Grinchy

Banned
I was worried about this, curious about how it controlled exactly. (Aim gun with head or sticks?) Games like this seem risky for VR...

My buddy didn't complain about sickness, but I think he has much better VR legs than most. Nothing seems to bother him...

I was one of the people complaining about World War Toons being unplayable for me. But like a week later, I tried again, and I had no issues at all.

I use the twin-stick control method, so there's no comfort shit going on at all and I am perfectly fine with it now.

I would happily spend hours in VR, but real life keeps getting in the way. I managed to get some time in on Battlezone on Saturday night (completed co-op hard campaign!), lost track of time and was shocked to find it was 02:15 when I took the headset off. Kids then got me up at 07:00.

Was planning on playing the Battlezone dev event today, followed by Eagle Flight, but between work, kids, wife, etc I just don't have the time.

zoukka

I tried Area X today for the first time...

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Cu9JAQz.gif

I have to say this is the experience that validated my PSVR, this right here. I was grinning, laughing out loud alone. In the end I had tears in my eyes. Bravo Mr. Mizuguchi, I only hope it would've lasted longer...

Can't wait to see how it looks on Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom