• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Star Wars Battlefront VR mission exceeded all of my expectations. This is the first PSVR experience where I really felt the vastness of the environment, much more than other games I've tried. This is so well made. I was 8 when Star Wars came out in the theaters and this 18 minute mission is like a dream come true for me--it actually made me emotional. I'm more sold on PSVR than ever and I must have more of this.

majik13

Screens from my Star Wars Battlefront VR Mission playthrough

Definitely turn off the G-Force effect to get rid of the tunnel vision and turn off all HUD elements to really make this shine.

JxQ0PFt.jpg

Gek9bM8.jpg

oXVbJi0.jpg

Played the demo and didnt notice any tunnel vision effect. Odd.

Pretty sure it's just the screenshots.

Huh? I was under the impression the G force / tunnel vision effect was a comfort setting to reduce neausea while playing. What is just the screenshots? I are confused..

KOHIPEET

My brother wants to buy move controllers for me as a Christmas present. Which ones you guys suggest?

Two move controllers or one move and one with the analog-stick?

Also, there are no PS4-specific move controllers right?

Planet

The one with the analog stick is called Move Navigation Controller, and it is absolutely useless with VR. There is none currently supporting it, and none planned as of my knowing. If something like that ever gets implemented, you will definitely be able to use a DualShock one-handed instead. It was that way even with PS3 Move games.

Most of the games that support Move Motion Controller need two of these, only a few games work with one. So let him get a pair of them.

FeD.nL

What headphones would you guys recommend for PSVR? I was looking at a Sennheiser 598 but I'm unsure if it'll fit over the VR set.

Mendrox

My brother wants to buy move controllers for me as a Christmas present. Which ones you guys suggest?

Also, there are no PS4-specific move controllers right?

You need two normal move controllers. The controller with stick doesnt do shit with the PSVR sadly.

So, I contacted PlayStation warranty support regarding my scratched PSVR lens. It's my first time contacting Sony for anything actually. I've read plenty of bad stories, and this one was unfortunately bad, but also bizarre.

I tell the guy on the phone what my problem is and he says it should be covered under warranty and asks me my PlayStation id. I assume he's asking for my PSN id, and tell it to him. He says thanks and to give him a minute to get things started. I say ok and standby. After a couple minutes I ask if he's still there but get no response. The call hasn't dropped and I'm not on hold or mute because I can hear some faint background noise, but he's not responding to anything I say. I'm multitasking anyway and decide I'm not going to just hang-up and let this guy off the hook, so I keep the line going ... for 50 minutes! Finally he comes back and says, "Thank you for calling PlayStation and having this conversation. If there's nothing else you need, then I'll need to be ending this call in about another minute." I ask him if he processed my RMA for my PSVR and again get no response. I'm like WTF?! But I stay on the line, confused as fuck but seeing where this is going, wondering if he has me mixed up with someone else. A minute later he comes back and again thanks me for calling PS and having a conversation with him and says he can't talk anymore and needs to end the conversation. I tell him he hasn't even done anything for me. He just says if there's nothing else I need then he'll end the conversation. I say ok, and he immediately hangs up on me!

It's so odd, I don't even know what to make of it. I'm gonna try the chat option online next, when I have time. At least then I can have a record of the conversation.

What headphones would you guys recommend for PSVR? I was looking at a Sennheiser 598 but I'm unsure if it'll fit over the VR set.
I actually got the 598c during the Amazon sale and they fit perfectly fine over the headset. Feels very secure compared to my Grados which would slide off if I tilted my head too much. Mind you it'll vary per person. My head isn't very big and I normally wear the headset high enough that the ear cups actually fit between the headset and my ears for full circumaural contact.

Philxor

So, I contacted PlayStation warranty support regarding my scratched PSVR lens. It's my first time contacting Sony for anything actually. I've read plenty of bad stories, and this one was unfortunately bad, but also bizarre.

I tell the guy on the phone what my problem is and he says it should be covered under warranty and asks me my PlayStation id. I assume he's asking for my PSN id, and tell it to him. He says thanks and to give him a minute to get things started. I say ok and standby. After a couple minutes I ask if he's still there but get no response. The call hasn't dropped and I'm not on hold or mute because I can hear some faint background noise, but he's not responding to anything I say. I'm multitasking anyway and decide I'm not going to just hang-up and let this guy off the hook, so I keep the line going ... for 50 minutes! Finally he comes back and says, "Thank you for calling PlayStation and having this conversation. If there's nothing else you need, then I'll need to be ending this call in about another minute." I ask him if he processed my RMA for my PSVR and again get no response. I'm like WTF?! But I stay on the line, confused as fuck but seeing where this is going, wondering if he has me mixed up with someone else. A minute later he comes back and again thanks me for calling PS and having a conversation with him and says he can't talk anymore and needs to end the conversation. I tell him he hasn't even done anything for me. He just says if there's nothing else I need then he'll end the conversation. I say ok, and he immediately hangs up on me!

It's so odd, I don't even know what to make of it. I'm gonna try the chat option online next, when I have time. At least then I can have a record of the conversation.

Not unfamiliar to me. The disc drive on my OG PS4 broke just over a year ago and when I first contacted them and sent it away, they sent it back in exactly the same state. I repeatedly asked for a new console over the phone and was given a contradictory answer on every new call. When at last I was promised a new console they sent my old one back for the third time with the drive fixed but with the light strip sticking out at a bizarre angle and clearly not in a good state. I was absolutely furious. Needless to say when the Pro was announced I jumped at the chance to trade that one in and upgrade.

JackEtc

Yesterday playing VR on my Pro I got constant sound cutting out and back in every 30 seconds or so, it lasts for about a second. At one point the sound cut out and didn't come back for like 5 minutes.

This is a common problem, correct? When is Sony gonna address this??

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

I actually got the 598c during the Amazon sale and they fit perfectly fine over the headset. Feels very secure compared to my Grados which would slide off if I tilted my head too much. Mind you it'll vary per person. My head isn't very big and I normally wear the headset high enough that the ear cups actually fit between the headset and my ears for full circumaural contact.
Maybe that's how he cheats at work? Idk...

Maybe that's how he cheats at work? Idk...
I thought of that possibility, too. But I'm wondering do they not have their calls monitored or recorded? I was on line for an hour. Wouldn't calls that long draw some supervisor's attention? I don't know. But this just corroborates the numerous complaints I've read about Sony support prior to my first experience with them. They definitely aren't Amazon or Costco.

Sounds like the guy didn't want to have it on his sheet for the day, I've had that plenty from call centres. Like if you call to cancel the cable and dude hangs up, just doesn't want it on there that he was the guy who let one through. I guess the guy figured there might be a negative connotation with giving you the repair. Or dude was literally just fucking around.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Cleared out some space and had a blast playing Brookhaven Experiment. What other roomscale stuff is there aside from Holoball and Job Simulator?

Kalentan

I know $30 is a bit expensive for an online-only game but people NEED to play Werewolves Within. It's so fucking good and the social aspect is honestly the best.

Maligna

Banned
Yesterday playing VR on my Pro I got constant sound cutting out and back in every 30 seconds or so, it lasts for about a second. At one point the sound cut out and didn't come back for like 5 minutes.

Yes. This happened to me a lot. I switched my TVs from an LG to a Samsung and since then it has only happened once. No idea if it's just a coincidence.

Boot to safe mode
Select the final option which is HDCP
Set it to 1.4
Reboot
Extra: Enter system menu in OS and disable HDCP

If you have a 4kHDR set you will be gimped with 1.4

This should resolve most (not all) HDCP issues. Very common with the pro on some TVs and Monitors

Boot to safe mode
Set it to 1.4
Reboot

This should resolve most (not all) HDCP issues. Very common with the pro on some TVs and Monitors

Strangely this didn't resolve my issues with Pro and LG 49UF850V which has now gone to Currys as they refused to believe there were issues even though LG admitted there are. They called me yesterday basically telling me to wait it out, told them that I'm not happy to and will take back to store Saturday to ask for a refund or a replacement.

Planet

Setting HDCP to 1.4 in safe mode fixed the sound and video dropouts for me to 99.9%. I only very rarely get black screens now (maybe once in a multi-hour session) and they only last a fraction of a second. Before, they lastet several seconds, were much more frequent and the sound sometimes went away completely until I rebooted.

After the complete mess of a total machine lock up during Werewolf Within and literally an entire day of Initializing/Restoring my PRO I think I am going to just leave HDCP OFF going forward. I don't watch any 4K or Blu-Ray's on it so I should be good.

After the complete mess of a total machine lock up during Werewolf Within and literally an entire day of Initializing/Restoring my PRO I think I am going to just leave HDCP OFF going forward. I don't watch any 4K or Blu-Ray's on it so I should be good.

I'm feeling that way, but also of the opinion that I shouldn't have to. To me the TV is faulty and should be fixed.

Played star wars VR. That was a great little experience but they probably should have had some slight instructions as I had to work out what I was doing

I was spinning around in the tie fighter once the swings came and going loop de loop and now I feel somewhat queasy

Game looks great, really incredible and they need to do a endor forest speed chaser next.

Now that they have an engine, it shouldn't be hard to make a real game. I'd buy it.

I'm feeling that way, but also of the opinion that I shouldn't have to. To me the TV is faulty and should be fixed.

Could very well be. Try and get it replaced, see what happens.

But I have also been thinking about that PSVR breakout box a lot more since getting a 4K TV. I think that thing is a flakey piece of shit.

When I plug my PRO directly into the TV (NO VR) I don't have any issues.
When I used VR via my PRO to my old 1080p TV also no issues.

That breakout box, on paper, may be built to support 4K passthrough but I have way more issues with it now than I ever did before and the only difference is my new TV (which works perfectly fine when VR is eliminated for the connection string).

Could very well be. Try and get it replaced, see what happens.

But I have also been thinking about that PSVR breakout box a lot more since getting a 4K TV. I think that thing is a flakey piece of shit.

When I plug my PRO directly into the TV (NO VR) I don't have any issues.
When I used VR via my PRO to my old 1080p TV also no issues.

That breakout box, on paper, may be built to support 4K passthrough but I have way more issues with it now than I ever did before and the only difference is my new TV (which works perfectly fine when VR is eliminated for the connection string).

I have tried so many various combos, 1.4/Automatic breakout/no breakout etc etc all have the issue although like you say, some maybe a 1 second drop out every couple of hours, others would be 15 second black screens with "No Signal" every hour.

Codiox

Jesus Christ played the star wars xwing vr mission again today for the second time, but this time disabled all the HUD. Huge difference! It's even more immersive! I almost cried because it was so amazing. You can press every button in the cockpit and most of them have different functions. You can toggle the flight mode, even chance the laser shooting rhythm. But when you get the lock on computer activated I completely lost my shit!

I would pay so much money to get a full game to this. This is now my favorite VR game by far.

muteki

Finally got to experience X-Wing mission.

The scale seemed a bit off but otherwise somebody needs to invest a ton of money into this and quick.

Maligna

Banned
Have we figured out what all the buttons do in the X-WING? I know there is a button to put up shields, a button for changing wing formation and a button for targeting computer. Anything else?

muteki

You may need to adjust IPD settings to correct scale.

The fighters were fine, but the other ships like the medical ship, carriers, and star destroyer seemed smaller than they should be, relative to my size in the x-wing.

I think there was a thing about the At-At size too in the regular game.

Glix

Star Wars and RE Demo for the first time last night.

There were both incredible experiences. Cannot wait for RE, and will ask the VG gods every night for a full length XWING/TIE FIGHTER experience.

Have we figured out what all the buttons do in the X-WING? I know there is a button to put up shields, a button for changing wing formation and a button for targeting computer. Anything else?

The guy above said you can change the laser shooting rhythm, but I don't know how to do it.

Also, does the targeting computer actually effect gameplay?

ElNino

Yes, it is a common problem that came up with the Pro.

Boot to safe mode
Set it to 1.4
Reboot

This fixed it for me for a bit, but last time I played (Batman) I noticed it happen again. It's very annoying.

The guy above said you can change the laser shooting rhythm, but I don't know how to do it.

In the cockpit, to the right hand side, there's a button with four red lights. When you press the button the lights indicate how many lasers will fire at once - single, double, or all four. It's a nice callback to Lucasarts' old X-Wing game.

Regarding scale, at first sight I did feel like the Rebel frigate and Imperial Star Destroyer were smaller than I thought they should be. But then I started trying to work it out on the back of the fag packet in my mind.

This isn't all that clear, but from the bulge to the left of the picture you can sort of make out the scale of the Nebulon B. It's actually not colossal. This has sort of made me revise the ideas I had in my mind about how large the capital ships in Star Wars actually are. Maybe it's the old X-Wing game that gave me the wrong sense of scale ...

Regarding scale, at first sight I did feel like the Rebel frigate and Imperial Star Destroyer were smaller than I thought they should be. But then I started trying to work it out on the back of the fag packet in my mind.

This isn't all that clear, but from the bulge to the left of the picture you can sort of make out the scale of the Nebulon B. It's actually not colossal. This has sort of made me revise the ideas I had in my mind about how large the capital ships in Star Wars actually are. Maybe it's the old X-Wing game that gave me the wrong sense of scale ...
You know what's funny about this, I pretty much came to the same conclusion, especially at the AT-AT part.

I was narrating the experience to my wife at the time, and said the walker is cool, but looks a little too small. But the more I watched him, I realized the scale is correct and I've just never seen a walker in real life! It's kind of like how actors look taller on TV, or how a building looks taller when you're on top of it looking down.

Lan_97

More impressions (thanks BB B2G1)

Eagle Flight
Wow, comfort settings were much more intrusive than I had imagined. It's cool that I can have someone else play this game without much worry to motion sickness, but I just want the option to turn it all off. The brow and beak is very prominent and I find the blinders very noticeable. It all combines to significantly limit my view and pull me out of the immersion.

Controls. I would prefer a DS4 option here, or at least the option to reposition the flying reticle. As-is, I have to constantly keep my head raised higher than I prefer to fly straight and swooping up and down is certainly a strain.

The speed-leaves also feel unnecessary. They spawn too close and are locked to my view instead of the environment. This makes sense for speed-lines, but having leaves turn with you is weird.

The intro is just a 2D 360 video, which spoils an otherwise neat concept.

Robinson
This game looks really nice (pro). Walking speed is too slow. Smooth turning speed is too fast. There is an odd floatiness to the walking. Free movement in RE7 definitely felt better to me. HIGS view is great. Climbing is neat. The hand is too prominent in the view for my liking.

EVE Valkyrie
I enjoyed this much more than I expected. Mostly just did tutorial and the first 5 levels worth of multiplayer. I didn't get a chance to see the game before the pro patch, but I think it looks great. All of it felt better than the COD/Battlefront missions.

Sidenote: All of these games completely recenter your view instead of just repositioning your view to center, which is great. Also, headset drift is starting to annoy me more and more :(

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jesus Christ played the star wars xwing vr mission again today for the second time, but this time disabled all the HUD. Huge difference! It's even more immersive! I almost cried because it was so amazing. You can press every button in the cockpit and most of them have different functions. You can toggle the flight mode, even chance the laser shooting rhythm. But when you get the lock on computer activated I completely lost my shit!

I would pay so much money to get a full game to this. This is now my favorite VR game by far.

I REALLY REALLY hope EA is reading post like this.

Marc

Hey guys, finally got my PSVR backorder arrive today out of the blue. Really excited about it!

I have Bound, Star Wars battlefront and obviously access to the free stuff but interested in what games people would recommend.

Caveat being that there are no PlayStation moves available anywhere in the UK it seems, so I'm limited to controller only which is annoying. I really wanted to experience that, and can't find any info on any moves coming in the near future.

I also can't get RIGs or Eve as I'm likely getting one or both for Xmas

Any recommendations beyond that would be very welcome. 😁

CyberChulo

Just saw that the Brookhaven Experiment got a Pro patch yesterday. I launched it this morning and don't see a difference. Everything still look jaggy. I don't see the improvement that the pro did for Rush of Blood in this game. Does anyone know what was improved?

Hey guys, finally got my PSVR backorder arrive today out of the blue. Really excited about it!

I have Bound, Star Wars battlefront and obviously access to the free stuff but interested in what games people would recommend.

Caveat being that there are no PlayStation moves available anywhere in the UK it seems, so I'm limited to controller only which is annoying. I really wanted to experience that, and can't find any info on any moves coming in the near future.

I also can't get RIGs or Eve as I'm likely getting one or both for Xmas

Any recommendations beyond that would be very welcome. ��

Download the free Playroom VR game and get Thumper and Rez Infinite. You can get VR Worlds too but won't get the full London Heist experience without Move controllers. The other experiences in VR Worlds are great, though, and don't require them. You can also download the free SuperHyperCube and Resident Evil 7 demos. And you can play all the free demos in the included demo disk.

Get Until Dawn: Rush of Blood and Batman Arkham VR when you get Move controllers :)

and I would hold off on playing Bound in VR until the mid-December patch where they're fixing the camera.

somme

Any recommendations beyond that would be very welcome. 😁

I've reviewed just over 20 of the games released so far here: http://psvr-reviews.com - Adding more all the time. I've reviewed games that not many people have, and a lot of those are the cheaper games so might help you decide on what you want.

Welcome to the VR club! :D

Darien

AnywhereVR app is now available for download @ Japan PS Store. Can mirror your smartphone screen (browse FB, Whatsapp) while relaxing at virtual beach/Mount Fuji lake.

31138591190_e2b5e1fde5_o_d.png

Fisty

AnywhereVR app is now available for download @ Japan PS Store. Can mirror your smartphone screen (browse FB, Whatsapp) while relaxing at virtual beach/Mount Fuji lake.

31138591190_e2b5e1fde5_o_d.png

This is fantastic! Can you get alerts in game when you get texts or calls? PSVR needs this functionality desperately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom