• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
AnywhereVR app is now available for download @ Japan PS Store. Can mirror your smartphone screen (browse FB, Whatsapp) while relaxing at virtual beach/Mount Fuji lake.

31138591190_e2b5e1fde5_o_d.png

Can this be used while playing a VR game?

Maligna

Banned
Also, does the targeting computer actually effect gameplay?

Yes, it's fully functional. It's especially great if you turn off all your HUD elements (which i HIGHLY recommend everyone do after your first play through)

If you have no HUD elements, the only way to tell you have a lock on an enemy ship is through audio cues. However if you turn the targeting computer on, it will let you know when you are zeroed in with a visual cue as well.

kinggroin

Banned
Cleared out some space and had a blast playing Brookhaven Experiment. What other roomscale stuff is there aside from Holoball and Job Simulator?

That's not roomscale fyi.

Batman and Sports Bar are two more games similar in freedom of movement to the ones you already mentioned

dubq

Anyone else finding that their PSVR is just an expensive paperweight now? I dunno, maybe I'm not the gamer I used to be.. PSVR was cool for the first two weeks but I haven't touched it since. I really felt I'd be more into it, but it's just not resonating with me like it has with some others. Feeling I may just try to unload it and make my money back to break even.

Hale-XF11

Anyone else finding that their PSVR is just an expensive paperweight now? I dunno, maybe I'm not the gamer I used to be.. PSVR was cool for the first two weeks but I haven't touched it since. I really felt I'd be more into it, but it's just not resonating with me like it has with some others. Feeling I may just try to unload it and make my money back to break even.

Yeah, just kinda waiting around for more content to devour. That new Psychonauts game can't get here soon enough. I'm holding onto my PSVR for a bit, because I have some hope that there will be more and better content coming in the next year. Just gonna be patient and play more traditional games for now.

RoyalFool

Banned

I play mine every other evening still, cruising in Driveclub and Pinball have good replayability. Can see myself adding Werewolves Within to that roster too.

Nope the opposite. Traditional games have lost a lot of their appeal but then again there are quite a few games in the release that are my kind of games which I can spend a lot of time with. I'm also playing through Steinsgate (it is essentially just reading a book) and FFXV and I'd rather play them both in VR if the option was available. Unless there is something else released that I must play FFXV might actually be one of the last non VR games I play, well I might re-sub to FFXIV because that is something I can mindlessly play when I want to unwind (still want the VR prototype to be released for that as well).

androvsky

Yeah, just kinda waiting around for more content to devour. That new Psychonauts game can't get here soon enough. I'm holding onto my PSVR for a bit, because I have some hope that there will be more and better content coming in the next year. Just gonna be patient and play more traditional games for now.

Have you tried the Headmaster demo? :)

Shoeless

I find that I've hit a balance. I went pretty crazy in October and November with getting both PS VR and a Pro, so I forced myself to limit just how many VR games I would buy. Despite that, I've still got things like Robinson: The Journey, Batman, Until Dawn, Here They Lie, and Rez to play, in addition to the numerous demos like RE7, and the Battlefront X-Wing mission, which both recently released.

However, I'm still very much a "traditional" gamer in that once FFXV and The Last Guardian came out, those were priority titles and VR took a backseat. I'm finding that I'm now at a point where I switch pretty equally between VR gaming and traditional gaming, especially since there are cheaper VR alternatives available that I still haven't played yet, like How We Soar, or Wayward Sky.

I'm waiting for more full-scale VR games like Robinson, so messing around with the RE7 demo is a good taste of what we're getting in the future. And if the COD and X-Wing demos are anything to go by, if we get a significant chunk of VR missions in Ace Combat 7, that's going to be insane. I'm excited about complementing my traditional gaming with VR games as well.

Chun-Li

What games do you have?

valeu

Nope the opposite. Traditional games have lost a lot of their appeal

the intensity-level and immersion is insanely greater in vr.
play thumper or volume or the re7 demo on a tv, then vr. no comparison

i'm tempted to impulse-buy trackmania turbo because it's available on my brazilian store. is it good??

androvsky

I get the feeling a lot of people skip it because the premise appears dull. I would've skipped it too except for PS Nation raving about it and my wife trying the store demo. It's actually quite fun, I laughed a lot playing it, and it's a pretty meaty game.

Glix

AnywhereVR app is now available for download @ Japan PS Store. Can mirror your smartphone screen (browse FB, Whatsapp) while relaxing at virtual beach/Mount Fuji lake.

If this can be launched multitask style and I don't have to close the game I currently have open I will be all over it.

*Splinter

Need this. I don't even need the beach just to be able to see my phone while in VR

Hale-XF11

I get the feeling a lot of people skip it because the premise appears dull. I would've skipped it too except for PS Nation raving about it and my wife trying the store demo. It's actually quite fun, I laughed a lot playing it, and it's a pretty meaty game.

I'm sure I'll check it out eventually. For now though, my PSVR sits tucked away in a drawer until something comes along that really compels me to set it all up again.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Do I have to dl Battlefront again just to play the VR thing?

That's a huge game I don't really like counting against my December data cap... just to play 10 min mission. Idk.

ckohler

Can this be used while playing a VR game?

If this can be launched multitask style and I don't have to close the game I currently have open I will be all over it.

Don't hold your breath. I'm fairly certain that this will be a stand alone media app (like the Hulu app, for example) that pretty much takes over the machine while in use. More likely, you'll have to suspend any game before you use this. That's what happens when you use the HULU app in VR.

Consider that the PS4's power is already heavily burdened to do VR in general. Expecting it to be able to run TWO VR apps simultaneously is pretty far fetched. Not to mention trying to stream video of your phone screen at the same time.

I'm guessing there is a limitation on what phones are compatible?

I'm curious to know this too. My guess is that's it'll be Android only. Or, you'll only be able to use a dedicated app.

Have you tried the Headmaster demo? :)

I was pleasantly surprised by this. Wasn't expecting anything from it at all but was really good fun I intend to pick it up when I'm done with the games I have.

Made me think a game where you play as a quarter back could also be really fun, use the voice controls and two moves. You could get quite close to an actual game, you would have to cut QB running plays but you could keep most plays in.

Kurdel

Banned

Without phone tracking this must be weird

Nope, I keep buying and enjoying the new stuff.

I also keep coming back to Thumper.

majik13

Played star wars VR. That was a great little experience but they probably should have had some slight instructions as I had to work out what I was doing

I was spinning around in the tie fighter once the swings came and going loop de loop and now I feel somewhat queasy

Wait, what does this mean? You can fly in a Tie fighter? Swings came?

I had a sizeable pang of this after the recent expo where no significant new announcements were made, and people ITT began talking about how Sony has a history of abandoning peripherals!

However I'm glad I'm where I am in terms of VR ownership. I've had the joy of several fantastic experiences of presence, and the twin joy that comes from demoing this new tech to others; and I'm looking forward to showing more friends and family the incredible new realm we are about to enter. This Christmas is all about putting Aunties into X-Wings.

There is a shortfall in certain types of 'meaty' experiences. Not that there aren't any, before fans of RIGS and Battlezone and a few others get on my case. Personally Rez and Thumper are proving to be deep wells of content, and I've got plenty left to do in Eagle Flight. But there are some very obvious areas where content is lacking - mainly in slower, more considered and exploration focused experiences. I'd love a 3rd person platformer, or a full game similar to the Croft Mansion. For now we're all mostly getting by on sketches - illustrations of what might be possible, if if if.

For me at the moment though it comes down to the essential magic behind it all. Presence will never cease to blow my mind, nor will acting as a conduit for others to have their minds blown cease to be a source of delight. I don't need an awful lot more from this system (in terms of forthcoming titles) to feel like it was worth what I've paid.

Codiox

I noticed an update for EVE Valkyrie, is it the Pro patch?

Yes and it's so much better than before. There is also a new free map and more customization on your pilot. Awesome update.

Higher resolution, more and better smoke effects and better lightning is what I noticed. But the higher resolution is the most noticeable.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yes and it's so much better than before. There is also a new free map and more customization on your pilot. Awesome update.

Higher resolution, more and better smoke effects and better lightning is what I noticed. But the higher resolution is the most noticeable.

Awesome, will check it out first thing tomorrow.

Jopie

I did the same. I rushed through the main game and I'm going to savor Area X tomorrow.

My best friend has been a huge fan of Rez for several years. Last month I made the trip out to his house (about an 8 hour drive), mostly so that he could play Area X in VR. It was totally worth it. He loved every moment of it.

A friend gifted me his EVE code he didn't end up using. I was speechless. So excited and thankful.

Downloading now. Can't wait to try this out. Especially now with the Pro patch.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Do I have to dl Battlefront again just to play the VR thing?

That's a huge game I don't really like counting against my December data cap... just to play 10 min mission. Idk.

After I played the VR mission I deleted Battlefront because I heard the VR stuff could be run as a standalone. I downloaded the mission again, this time from the Playstation VR part of the store. It would not run without Battlefront installed.

i think my backordered psvr from when it was weirdly £317 on amazon but out of stock is arriving tomorrow and i'm really excited! I've dug out my old move controllers from the ps3 era and they're charging now.

i've already downloaded the us demo disc and the vr mission for battlefront - of the other games, under £20, which is best? i'm really tempted by thumper.

Azriell

i think my backordered psvr from when it was weirdly £317 on amazon but out of stock is arriving tomorrow and i'm really excited! I've dug out my old move controllers from the ps3 era and they're charging now.

i've already downloaded the us demo disc and the vr mission for battlefront - of the other games, under £20, which is best? i'm really tempted by thumper.

The demo disc has a lot of good demos on it (including Thumper). Until Dawn - Reign of Blood is pretty great. I got it for $20 from Target (not sure if it's $20 on PSN). I've heard Batman is good, but I haven't played it. Personally, my next big purchase will probably be Battlezone.

The demo disc has a lot of good demos on it (including Thumper). Until Dawn - Reign of Blood is pretty great. I got it for $20 from Target (not sure if it's $20 on PSN). I've heard Batman is good, but I haven't played it. Personally, my next big purchase will probably be Battlezone.
huh - didn't even notice thumper was on that! thanks :D

and cool, how long was until dawn? batman is also very interesting to me...

MrMephistoX

Confirmed to be getting one for Xmas how is the performance increase with a Pro? I don't have a 4KTv yet but am seriously considering the pro just for VR...am I nuts?

Confirmed to be getting one for Xmas how is the performance increase with a Pro? I don't have a 4KTv yet but am seriously considering the pro just for VR...am I nuts?

Pro makes a big difference in my opinion. Plus all the non VR games that are released now have pro upgrades for 1080p owners as well.

KalBalboa

Banned
Two of my buddies came by tonight to see Resident Evil 7 in person.

This game is really something special. I was initially as concerned as I was excited for it but the latest VR demo has me sold. Glad I got the Pro for it.

Watching my friend look around corners and duck under fireplace arches... Crazy to see that immersion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom