• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

MattAces

Also more GIF of Theseus found from their website.
Theseus_AnimatedGIF_03_.gif

Theseus_AnimatedGIF_04_.gif

Game is heavily influenced by Fumito Ueda, they even had him to try it out.
34644214150_08575ebe71_b.jpg

More info : https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...yrinth-in-this-summers-ps-vr-release-theseus/

MattAces

I bought the physical version from Play asia. Be sure to get the Asia/English language version.

Looks cool but are you saying Dark Souls because of the 3rd person angle and the big enemies or do you think it's going to be as difficult as Dark Souls?

I was semi joking, but the dark setting, creepy enemy, stealthy movement definitely shouts dark soul setting in my mind. Also it seems to imply live die repeat style.
Apparently the game is more ico inspired.

Kyolux

I was semi joking, but the dark setting, creepy enemy, stealthy movement definitely shouts dark soul setting in my mind. Also it seems to imply live die repeat style.
Apparently the game is more ico inspired.

Well at the very least it looks pretty good visually. Wouldn't say dark souls though. Just risk raising expectations.

LaNaranja

I got mine about a week ago and boy oh boy was RE7 the wrong game to try out first. Got nauseous and sweaty while wandering the woods trying to get into the house. By the time I reached the cabin I just turned it off and I was sweating. The graphics are also kinda really terrible. I am not normally one to complain about that kind of thing but when the shrub right in front of me looks like a blurry pixely blob that is a really big problem. Add to that the camera jerking in 30 degree increments and it was just too much for me.

I then tried the Battlefront X-Wing VR mission and that was absolutely incredible. Pretty much exactly what you would expect it to be. I also downloaded Thumper and man that game is also beautiful. The VR and headphones really immerse you in the game.

I got mine about a week ago and boy oh boy was RE7 the wrong game to try out first. Got nauseous and sweaty while wandering the woods trying to get into the house. By the time I reached the cabin I just turned it off and I was sweating. The graphics are also kinda really terrible. I am not normally one to complain about that kind of thing but when the shrub right in front of me looks like a blurry pixely blob that is a really big problem. Add to that the camera jerking in 30 degree increments and it was just too much for me.

I then tried the Battlefront X-Wing VR mission and that was absolutely incredible. Pretty much exactly what you would expect it to be. I also downloaded Thumper and man that game is also beautiful. The VR and headphones really immerse you in the game.

RE7 looks like garbage outside, especially at the beginning during daytime, but inside it looks really good (base PS4).

Maligna

Banned

Yeah I wish you had asked opinion in here first. I usually try to steer people away from RE7 as their first experience.

At least you weren't discouraged and tried other things.

I bought Dick Wilde in preparation for my Farpoint bundle arriving but amazon have just informed me of a week delay :-( Still Dick Wilde is still brilliant with the move controls anyway, had a great laugh in party mode though I'd have preferred the TV view to be a straight copy of the VR players viewpoint rather than the smaller screen with the stats (it looks a bit underwhelming for the people watching and it's sometimes hard to even see the smaller critters). I'd highly recommend the game to someone who wants the shooting without the scary bits that most of the other shooters have.

Apologies if already mentioned, but there's also a 3D 360 VR trailer for Theseus. It gives an idea of how this will work in 3rd person.

https://youtu.be/weQtERaTPVk

Using your PSVR you can to YouTube app, select PlayStation VR version and search "Theseus 360".

this video indicates a third person view. Gifs above show a fixed camera.

weird.

Is it worth buying PSVR now? What are the best games now?
From now on it is a safe purchase I suppose.

MattAces

It is still covered with indies, not a bad thing, but might not be your thing too.
For me, PSVR is lifting off recently with the amount of quality contents, although they are short. Also with the amount of games announced in the past weeks, I will say it is a safe buy too. Even Aim controller is getting supported everywhere, which was very surprising to be honest.
If indie is not your thing, maybe wait for E3 and see what Sony has to offer in terms of first party fully fledged games.

Totally worth it for me.

Currently available favorites:

DiRT Rally
Farpoint (Aim Controller is a must)
Driveclub VR

Looking forward to:

Hopefully DiRT 4 gets a PSVR patch.
Ace Combat 7
Gran Turismo Sport
Again, hoping for Project CARS 2 support

We'll see what Sony is cooking for E3. More first party titles for the PSVR + Aim combo are in the works according to them.

TheMan

I've built up some resentment for Farpoint. Great concept, great controller, but those spider enemies freak me the fuck out and I can't get over it. It's the little one that scutter about realistically and jump at your face. I want to like this game and get over it, but phobias are no joke. Jealous of everyone else who gets to enjoy it.

Kyolux

I've built up some resentment for Farpoint. Great concept, great controller, but those spider enemies freak me the fuck out and I can't get over it. It's the little one that scutter about realistically and jump at your face. I want to like this game and get over it, but phobias are no joke. Jealous of everyone else who gets to enjoy it.

Heh you're not alone. I still haven't played past the first level. I do plan on playing more of it! I'm sure we can do it!

gatti-man

Sell it to me :)

panda-zebra

Banned

You and your fellow arachnophobes should pester Impulse Gear for a quick and dirty patch, make them into cute little jelly blob monsters or gnomes or something. Actually fuck that, gnomes would be terrifying.

Gonna watch the CL finale on PSVR today :)

Not sure if Sony/Sky only send out codes to people in Germany.

Before your post only heard of Portuguese ppl saying they could view it. Nothing in my inbox in UK, also have US, HK and Japanese accounts with no notifications :/

Reallink

You guys confused by Theseus, look up Chronos. It's a fixed camera third person Dark Soulsish Oculus launch title, still arguably the best game on the platform.

For anyone confused about Theseus, I suggest you watch some VR gameplay of Bound, Robot Rescue (Playroom) or Mervil's VR Adventure. All of these are in 3rd Person and pretty unique in VR.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm an irresponsible boy. Just picked up a bundle. I've got RE7 and Race the Sun. I'm toying with the idea of Rush of Blood, but I'll try the demo first.

I'm pretty excited. I've been dreaming about VR since the early nineties with Dactyl Nightmare and Sega VR. I read so many articles but, to this day, the only VR I've tried is crappy mobile VR on a cheap cardboard headset.

ckohler

I'm an irresponsible boy. Just picked up a bundle. I've got RE7 and Race the Sun. I'm toying with the idea of Rush of Blood, but I'll try the demo first.

I'm pretty excited. I've been dreaming about VR since the early nineties with Dactyl Nightmare and Sega VR. I read so many articles but, to this day, the only VR I've tried is crappy mobile VR on a cheap cardboard headset.
Congrats. You should be impressed. Just be careful on your first try. Don't overdo it or you might get woozy. I highly recommend sitting down and sitting close to the camera. Also, take breaks often. Don't just go into VR for an hour on your first go. I recommend Playroom VR be your first try. It's super polished, not intense and a great demonstration of the tech. It's also free.

nampad

Watched the CL final via the Sky Champions League Final VR beta app for free today. I have to say that VR sportscasting is the way to go, the immersion was superb and I really felt like I was in the stadium. We are not completely there yet with the PSVR but it already showed what VR can do.

If I would watch another big game alone, I would be fine with paying some bucks for a VR experience like this. I was completely immersed and kind of taken back when I took the headset off for a short moment and only saw my dark living room ;)

It was a bit difficult to eat my snacks or drinks while using the headset though. Hope a future one will have a camera for augmented reality.

Some information:

-While downloading the app it showed that it used Unity as an engine.

-You sat in a 3d rendered VIP lounge. Inside the lounge you could switch from the couch with the view on the field to another couch which showed the room (pretty useless) and the previous mentioned couch on your right.

-Besides the view onto the field there was another one behind one of the goals. You could barely see anything though.

-There was some kind of fake positional tracking so you could move a bit in the VIP lounge. It didn't just feel like a 360 video. By moving or standing up, you could see more of the fans. This was very important because it added a lot of immersion.

-You could turn a TV with the normal broadcast on and off. It was hanging above the normal stadium view and was useful for playbacks.

-The PSVR's low resolution was noticeable. The view of the game was ok but in no way as sharp as on a normal HDTV. The fake TV broadcast that you could turn on was pretty clear though.

-The DS4 was shown in the app just like in playroom. You could turn on/off some stats.

-There were only some minor hickups with the tracking were it was jumpy. After an hour there was some drift though so I had to restart the app, which fixed everything. Pressing the option button resets the view like usual but didn't help with the drift. I never had that kind of drift in games before.

-I felt like the audio of the broadcast was a little bit unsync. You only noticed it in some situations though.

-Only 1-2 second of buffering when starting the app. Weirdly, the ceremony at the end had some image quality problems and was blocky. Every time else the stream was without any issue.

-I have a 50 Mbit connection and the app said my connection fit the recommend speed. It still wasn't in the very good range though (there were bad, recommend and very good).

Do you actually need a code or can you just go to:

www.youtube.com/btsport

It is only 360 video and not true VR but should still be ok. Hoping the quality is high enough.

I needed a code which I had to use at the Sky homepage. Apparently it was only usable by PS Plus members because I got two and gave the other one my brother.
After doing so, I got another code from Sony with which I could download the beta app.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

You just saw by far the worst-looking part of the game.
And you can turn off the 30 degree increments, but if you do you're going to have a really bad time... like fifty times worse than what you experienced.

Horseticuffs

So initial impressions:

Resident Evil 7- Definitely weird to be peeking around corners! It's about what I expected, but I had pretty high expectations. Makes a stressful game even moreso.

Job Simulator- An amazing time. I'll definitely buy it. Trying to make a cup of coffee while my daughter is sitting where the coffee machine is was hilarious. They've played the game at school before and really want me to get it.

Rush of Blood- Holy crap. This was SUPER intense! When
the pigs all started screaming
it was super frightening. I loved it! This is a must buy for an old light gun hound like me.

j0hnnix

So initial impressions:

Resident Evil 7- Definitely weird to be peeking around corners! It's about what I expected, but I had pretty high expectations. Makes a stressful game even moreso.

Job Simulator- An amazing time. I'll definitely buy it. Trying to make a cup of coffee while my daughter is sitting where the coffee machine is was hilarious. They've played the game at school before and really want me to get it.

Rush of Blood- Holy crap. This was SUPER intense! When
the pigs all started screaming
it was super frightening. I loved it! This is a must buy for an old light gun hound like me.

Lol. My exact feelings. RE7 is definitely a treat in VR. I think I had better jump scares with Rush of Blood , RE7 had me just saying wow... I went through half the game yesterday after beating Rush of Blood. Haven't tried Job Simulator but I am excited to get Eve Valkryie and I definitely want to see how Ace Combat is.. flying games with VR is a must have.. i never cared for them without it now I want to play them.

Edit* I don't understand Theseus being third person with VR... That's like Tekken 7 VR.

What console are you using our of curiousity? Base or Pro?

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
I finished Farpoint's campaign tonight. What an astounding game! Definitely way more impressive than I thought it would be.

Horseticuffs

I finally bribed my girlfriend into trying Rush of Blood. She doesn't care about gaming in general, or VR particularly.

It devolved into just a bunch of flopping around and attempting unloaded guns. What a blast.

I'm just very impressed.

I also finally tried Rez, as did my oldest daughter. Man, it was quite a trip when the
giant running form
was behind us. It takes a moment to realize the true freedom that VR affords.

Am I understanding Rez correctly in that you don't actually move your ship? I liked what I did get to do, though.

kyser73

How do you even play it?

It's not from a VR POV

anyhow, this trailer reminded me of GOLEM.

whatever is happening there?! vapourware?

It's 3rd person in VR, same as the Playroom platformer demo, games like Thumper, Rez and so on and Edge of Nowhere on the OR. There is no 'VR POV' as you put it.

Golem is still in development AFAIK.

McCHitman

Banned
When you all demo the PSVR to family and friends who have never tried it before, how do you get it situated so that they are looking at the clearest image possible?

I'm always nervous with new people because they don't listen to me when I tell them to adjust it by the top and back and not the viewer. I mean the walkthrough shows you moving it via that, but I treat my unit so delicatly and I'm afraid moving it up and down with the viewer will break it.

Top Bottom