• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

MattAces

https://www.gamecrate.com/the-inpatient-hands-on-preview-e3-2017-psvr-game/16482

Looks like it's a pretty meaty complete game, not just a short video experience.
You get to explore the cell and dialogue choices using DS4.

THE INPATIENT IS THE MOST VISUALLY IMPRESSIVE PSVR GAME YET The first thing I thought when I saw the trailer was, ”Is this really a PSVR game?" PSVR can be a great experience, but it's no secret that's it's the least powerful of the big three VR headsets. When I saw how good The Inpatient looked in person, I was truly impressed. The visuals are phenomenal. The hospital is filled with interesting details, from the dirty floors and dust floating through the air to the raging snowstorm outside my barred window. It's rare a location is so lovingly realized, even in the VR space.

The character models (the old doctor especially) are exceptionally good. When he leans forward as he's talking to you while you're strapped down, I could almost feel his breath on me. If that sounds creepy, yes. Yes, it was.It's rare to see a game that looks this good in VR, and to see it on the relatively underpowered PSVR was a delightful surprise. The game was running on a PS4 Pro rather than a normal system, but The Inpatient still stands head and shoulders above what we've seen from other PSVR titles running on the same console.

Granted that I'm sure they are the typical "press" that never experience any other PSVR game aside from the launch titles.

Shoeless

https://www.gamecrate.com/the-inpatient-hands-on-preview-e3-2017-psvr-game/16482

Looks like it's a pretty meaty complete game, not just a short video experience.
You get to explore the cell and dialogue choices using DS4.

Granted that I'm sure they are the typical "press" that never experience any other PSVR game aside from the launch titles.

Supermassive has earned my trust. They really seem to know what they're doing in the VR space, and Until Dawn was an unexpected treat, so I'm all in for this game.

iuuk

Stick to the static stuff for at least a week, going straight into Farpoint or RE7 will destroy you. As for experience videos, there are a lot of them in other regions, you can also try demos and free stuff. There's a super short RE Vendetta, Godzilla and other tid bits of content in Japan region.
Yeah, I know, I was the guy that got sick from Farpoint a few pages back ;). But thanks for the recommendation, I'll try to see what I can find.

Because of this thread (and a €350 deal including Horizon) I upgraded to a pro as well. The guy saying it's like going from 480P to 720P was right, the difference is huge... First impressions I read were pretty negative on how much the pro added to PSVR, but I don't know what they tested, since even Alumette had a very notable difference in experience. The mura-/screen door-effect was way less annoying with this increased resolution as well.
Now to sell my slim, because this little adventure is getting expensive...

MattAces

Yeah, I know, I was the guy that got sick from Farpoint a few pages back ;). But thanks for the recommendation, I'll try to see what I can find.

Because of this thread (and a €350 deal including Horizon) I upgraded to a pro as well. The guy saying it's like going from 480P to 720P was right, the difference is huge... First impressions I read were pretty negative on how much the pro added to PSVR, but I don't know what they tested, since even Alumette had a very notable difference in experience. The mura-/screen door-effect was way less annoying with this increased resolution as well.
Now to sell my slim, because this little adventure is getting expensive...

There seems to be a system wide upgrade in terms of the foveated rendering, basically everything will be blurry except for the dead center where you will be looking at, Batman Arkham VR was the one that I notice at first, there was no specific Pro support/patch but everything became much clearer, there's no blurry edges surrounding the screen. Robinson is another good example.
I don't have a 4k screen but still upgraded to the Pro just for VR, pretty happy about it. Plus in my country, consoles will never drop in price for at least 3 to 4 years.

majik13

In Farpoint, I hated the spike launcher and plasma rifle the first time I played through the campaign. In co-op, I learned to like them a lot.

interesting, yeah in the campaign they didnt really click with me either, was hard to aim them, or didnt have enough good feedback on hits registration, etc. I did seem to notice in co-op that either weapons maybe feel a bit stronger or enemies are weaker? Or maybe it was just because my co op partner was hitting the enemies too? But it did seem I was able to take out the walker things with like 4-5 hits with my sniper rifle. Which wasn't possible in the camping... I could be wrong though. But maybe thats why those others guns seemed better?

Do people feel that PSVR is really worth buying yet?

I feel that all it really has is Resident Evil 7 and nothing at E3 really got my attention at all.

majik13

I feel that all it really has is Resident Evil 7 and nothing at E3 really got my attention at all.

Depends if you feel compfrtable spending the money, but Id say there is a really good amount of content right now, and a steady stream for the foreseable future. And a lot of of games are coming over from PC as well, since its the market leader for the high end headsets.

My recommendations.
Farpoint
RE7
Star Trek
RIGS
Batman VR
Wherewolves Within
Rush of Blood
Thumper
EVE
Star Wars Battlefront Mission(Free with the game)
VR Worlds just for London Heist(Not sure how much Id pay for that if you dont get the bundle)

There is also a decent amount of free stuff, like Playroom VR, and the VR demo disc/download

In the next few weeks Ill also be picking up Super Hot and Arizona Sunshine

There is also a ton of stuff that other people recommend that I know is supposed to be great, but Ive never played them.

And a bunch of new games have been announced recently, that could be great.

Still a little bummed that we can't put Elite on that list, but oh well... Maybe one of these days.

yeah thatd be great, I think I heard the latest word, is that they could probably get it working with a Pro but was too demanding of OG PS4, and that maybe they are still trying?

Shoeless

Id say there is a really good amount of content right now. And a lot of of games are coming over from PC as well, since its the market leader for the high end headsets.

My recommendations.
Farpoint
RE7
Star Trek
RIGS
Wherewolves Within
Rush of Blood
Thumper
EVE
Star Wars Battlefront Mission(Free with the game)
VR Worlds just for London Heist(Not sure how much Id pay for that if you dont get the bundle)

There is also a decent amount of free stuff, like Playroom VR

In the nest few weeks Ill also be picking up Super Hot and Arizona Sunshine

And a bunch of new games have been announced recently, that could be great.

Still a little bummed that we can't put Elite on that list, but oh well... Maybe one of these days.

Got another question before I dive in on the PSVR.

How much space is needed? I've got a pretty tiny place. From the couch to the tv is maybe 6-8 feet. There's a coffee table in between and I'd likely put the camera on top of the tv (or maybe the bottom of it, resting on the tv stand depending on the camera is).

Will this be ok or will it present a problem with the play area?

How much space is needed? I've got a pretty tiny place. From the couch to the tv is maybe 6-8 feet. There's a coffee table in between and I'd likely put the camera on top of the tv (or maybe the bottom of it, resting on the tv stand depending on the camera is).

Plenty of room. I have a particularly close couch setup and it works fine for me, with the camera sitting on top of the TV.

majik13

That similar to my play area. Most games this will be fine, some games it might be an issue, like HaloBall or Job Simulator, but you still should be able to play them mostly fine.

Most games Ill put a chair right in front of my couch, as its a bit more comfortable to sit in than the couch itself, so Im usually playing within an even shorter distance than 6-8 feet. Standing games, Ill be right up in the front of couch though. Camera almost always on top of the TV

iuuk

As others have said it will be fine, I've got a similar play-area (including coffe table) and even with the camera under the tv (on top of the sound bar though) it works fine.

Just to give you an idea:

xYuMpvx.jpg

(pay no attention to the dead plant and PS4 slim, I didn't know how easy it was to give too much water to a plant and my slim is over there to take pictures to sell it)

Let me actually chime back in - I don't have enough space for Batman so when I play that I move my couch back a few feet. Also pretty much any game that requires standing requires me to move the couch back as well. But I'm closer than 6-8 feet; more like 4-5 feet.

Shin

Banned
It didn't hit me until I saw this ad by PS JPN how many big named games and/or experiences are on PSVR.
I looked up the technical specs of the big 3 headsets recently and it's kinda amazing how close PSVR is to Vive/Rift.
It's just the consoles themselves that's limiting the graphical prowess for the most part from the looks of it.

Anyway here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGLqLAxHyes

Chris_C

Anyone have trouble playing Star Trek Bridge Crew because the control panels are too low? I always have to reach down below my knees to reach the in-game panels, it makes playing pretty uncomfortable.

Shoeless

Anyone have trouble playing Star Trek Bridge Crew because the control panels are too low? I always have to reach down below my knees to reach the in-game panels, it makes playing pretty uncomfortable.

Calibrate with yourself standing up a little, or, barring that, find a load of books, cushions or magazines, and sit on them, then calibrate and go back to your normal height. The panels will be higher then.

darkwing

it was the opposite for me, seeing Sony putting the PSVR on stage made the purchase easier, Moss pushed it for me, and of course Skyrim

Chris_C

find a load of books, cushions or magazines, and sit on them, then calibrate and go back to your normal height. The panels will be higher then.

What will Lt. Rao say when he sees his Captain sitting on a stack of books?

I kid, thanks for the advice. I'll try that. Was just wondering if anyone else had similar issues.

Maybe try tilting the camera up a bit? That should move you lower into the game world so they are in reach.

EDIT - (Or do you need to tilt it down? One or the other might help)

Chris_C

Maybe try tilting the camera up a bit. That should move you lower into the game world so they are in reach.

I'll try this, tho I don't think relative camera position affects your placement in the game world (otherwise folks with the camera below the TV would have a very different experience.) Thanks!

ranmafan

I've had some issues with the captains chair buttons. Still haven't found a perfect solution for it but my chair is low to the ground and I'm sure my camera setup could be adjusted a bit. Front panels usually don't give me an issue though, but that captains chair, sometimes I'll get stuck and accident press the red alert button instead of something else cause the tracking is off.

So Farpoint made it into the top 20 NPD at 16th place for May. I look forward to more full featured VR gaming like it from Sony! Especially with that AIM controller.

ranmafan

It's really hard to say for others, but I can only say for me, PSVR has been one of my best gaming purchases ever. The experiences I've had with it have been unbelievable, and up there with some of the most unique and fun gaming experiences I've ever had. And there are many games I'm looking forward to coming up. It's a great device. But it is expensive and if you only have one game that interests you in it then maybe you should wait. I always wait for at least three must have games to play before I buy a system or such. Thankfully for me psvr had far more than three, and many more to come! But there is a nice variety of games out there to try out now, so maybe you can find something more than just resident evil to be interested in.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I would have bought Farpoint already but the Aim bundle is getting scalped hard. Some people are asking as much as $250. The cheapest one I've seen so far was $140.

Grinchy

Banned
What's up with Farpoint and the Aim controller? I can't find the bundle in stock anywhere let alone a stand alone Aim controller.

Sony apparently had very little confidence in it. They didn't make anywhere near as many AIM controllers as consumers wanted to purchase.

My buddy got tired of looking and just paid $150 for it on Ebay... I hate to see that kind of shit happening.

you're all set man jump in the real future is VR

darkwing

Sony apparently had very little confidence in it. They didn't make anywhere near as many AIM controllers as consumers wanted to purchase.

My buddy got tired of looking and just paid $150 for it on Ebay... I hate to see that kind of shit happening.

that's crazy, I bought the bundle for $100 though, yeah scalp tax :(

that's crazy, I bought the bundle for $100 though, yeah scalp tax :(

Dang, really Sony? Didn't realize it would be just limited stock.

Because of Best Buy Gamer's Club, the bundle only came out to like $64 bucks too when I got it release day.

iratA

I hope Arizona Sunshine and Super Hot have reasonable launch prices. Because that will be the only thing stopping me from day one purchases at this point. Both looked like great VR experiences and its its finally time for PSVR owners to jump in on the action. Both are due out in the next few weeks I believe.

Planet

Arizona Sunshine will be $40, in line with the PC version. I hope it's a little below €40.

Don't know for sure with Superhot VR, but the PC version is $25 / €22,50

Heartfyre

I bought into the €399.99 PSVR bundle that included a free camera and PlayStation VR Worlds. So far, absolutely no regrets. I felt there was a lot of stuff already available to catch up on, starting with Batman Arkham VR, and I hope to get my hands on Resident Evil VII and Star Trek Bridge Crew in a few weeks, and Superhot at launch. And I'm looking forward to The Inpatient, Moss, and Dino Frontier in the future! Definitely feels as though there's a ton of software out there that's worth your time.

darkwing

I bought into the €399.99 PSVR bundle that included a free camera and PlayStation VR Worlds. So far, absolutely no regrets. I felt there was a lot of stuff already available to catch up on, starting with Batman Arkham VR, and I hope to get my hands on Resident Evil VII and Star Trek Bridge Crew in a few weeks, and Superhot at launch. And I'm looking forward to The Inpatient, Moss, and Dino Frontier in the future! Definitely feels as though there's a ton of software out there that's worth your time.

don't forget Farpoint, also Job Simulator if you have the room

actually there's many VR games , too many even lol they need to have a sale on older stuff

Planet

I bought into the €399.99 PSVR bundle that included a free camera and PlayStation VR Worlds.
Sorry to say, but you screwed up! Especially since you mentioned Batman, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Superhot VR, why the hell didn't you raise another €50 for the bundle including two Move? That pair costs €75 on its own and is almost essential to many games, mandatory to others (like AFAIK Superhot VR).

Unless you already have a pair, then please ignore the above... XD

Popup

Something that always amazes me is that if some of these great VR experiences were normal flat games, there would have been so little appeal, I would not have bothered.

Although I can understand why they do it to a certain degree, it's still a little strange that there seems to be a trend for reviewers to try to remove the immersive and emotional VR elements, treating it as a flat game when reviewing.

As mentioned, you need to calibrate a bit more during game play.

I play sitting in an office chair, makes it much more immersive as it allows you to swivel etc and the controls always seem to be just in the right spot.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yeah I can't find Farpoint with Aim Controller anywhere too

fuck paying the scalpers prices too lol

I just sucked it up and paid the usual 120-130€ store price atm. Thats not even the "scalper" price, its the current store prices...

MattAces

YouTube Version 2.03 Patch Notes

Playback enhancements for PlayStation VR. General performance and stability improvements"

Where mah Brookhaven patch.

Maligna

Banned

Sit up straight as you can, recalibrate and then resume a relaxed posture.

As mentioned, you need to calibrate a bit more during game play.

I play sitting in an office chair, makes it much more immersive as it allows you to swivel etc and the controls always seem to be just in the right spot.

Yeah, but you have to make sure that chair doesn't have arms. They get in the way.

Top Bottom